As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ultimate Comics] Divided We Fall

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Well for a time the original Ultimate X-Men group were pretty popular, getting red carpet treatment and the like.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Has there ever been a story that's just been "eh, mutants are okay." Like not the typical "Mankind fears mutants" or the opposite "Mutants rule mankind in a dystopian future" but just plain old "mutants are just everyday people and while there's a always going to be mutant haters, for the most part people just don't care anymore."

Morrison had it as an underlying theme of his run, I don't remember the specific issue but Hank and Scott investigated the murder of a popular mutant fashion designer.

Surprisingly of all writers, in Claremont's X-Ttreme X-Men there was an arc where Rogue and Gambit lived in some California beach town where the people were all fine with mutants, no ulterior motives. I think it was called Intifada?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is that guy there a Whoever as the 3-D Man as Tom Cruise as Scientology Leader as Bond Villain?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I

what

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I

what

I'm with blank on this..

• Options
    red and green/blue eyes remind me of those old 3-d glasses. the 616 3-d man is sort of a scientology riff

that guy looks like tom cruise with worse hair

tom cruise is the leader of scientology

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Well for a time the original Ultimate X-Men group were pretty popular, getting red carpet treatment and the like.
    Wasn't that a trap by the ultimate hellfire club though? I'm still at return of the king or something

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Wasn't that a trap by the ultimate hellfire club though? I'm still at return of the king or something
    Yeah, the Hellfire Club was part of that. But before that they were still going on talk shows in Japan and whatnot.
    that guy looks like tom cruise with worse hair
    He looks like Jason Schwartzman in that cover. And he's not 3D Man.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Well to begin with, the old new 3D Man wasn't a scientology metaphor, as scientology wasn't a huge "thing" at the point, it was just a cult thing in general I think?

But to answer your question, the person on the cover is Morez, who is...
    Modi, Thor's son and the only true Asgardian left with god powers.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the Triune... Church? Brotherhood? Union?, that gave Triathlon his powers and were involved in a storyline that ended with him becoming 3D Man, was based on Scientology. It was in Busiek's Avengers.

• Options
    detail.jpg

• Options
    OW. MY SCALP.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    OH! MY SCALP.

• Options
    This will probably never happen but I'd love to see Ultimate versions of Juston Seyfert and his Sentinel helping out Kitty and her X-Men.

• Options
    This will probably never happen but I'd love to see Ultimate versions of Juston Seyfert and his Sentinel helping out Kitty and her X-Men.

That Sentinel should be Rover, from Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Rover is the best pet Sentinel. He even made it into the short lived Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon (though in that he was owned by Marrow instead of Juston or Tom or whoever the hell).

It's weird that "Pet Sentinel" is a category in which there are multiple things.

• Options
    Ultimates #17 continued to upward trend of Humphries starting to find his footing on the title. The part with Cap still deciding to go into battle after he was told not was a little silly though. I really enjoyed the ending / cliffhanger.
    Also, Modi was pulled off a lot better than I thought he would be and enjoyed having the Mind Gem brought into the Ultimate Universe. Also nice to see Sue on the Ultimates, and Ultimate Cassie Lang as well!

• Options
    Ultimates #17 continued to upward trend of Humphries starting to find his footing on the title. The part with Cap still deciding to go into battle after he was told not was a little silly though. I really enjoyed the ending / cliffhanger.
    Also, Modi was pulled off a lot better than I thought he would be and enjoyed having the Mind Gem brought into the Ultimate Universe. Also nice to see Sue on the Ultimates, and Ultimate Cassie Lang as well!

Saw panels of that.
    Interesting to see Sue still sporting her F4 uniform. Perhaps a sign of a new group coming together? It would be neat for SHIELD to set it up as their go-to science team, plus they could have Reed as their 'Doom'.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really liked
    Cassandra Lang Giant-Woman
    Having Sue, Miles and Jessica there was cool too

Though what the hell was with Cap?
    Not only does he go against Widow, he then just sits there on his bike with a flag like a moron
    Of course he's going to get shot down

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Previews!

ultxm2011018_dc11_lr_0001.jpg

ultsmpo2011016_dc11_lr_0001.jpg

UltimateInferno on

• Options
    Dammit President Cap, ur "solution" at the end of X-Men #18 is really icky.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What is it?

And Spider-man was dissapointing. I would steer away from it, nothing huge except the last page.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    What is it?

And Spider-man was dissapointing. I would steer away from it, nothing huge except the last page.
    Tells Kitty that Mutants can either take a cure or live on a reserve.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What is it?

Tells Kitty that Mutants can either take a cure or live on a reserve.

Wow. That's uhmm..extra dickish, which seemed like they were steering away from portraying him as.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That seems to be more on Wood than Cap,
    It's hard to see Cap telling mutants to screw off in the Ultimate Universe when he just told the teenager to be a hero and join the Ultimates, and anyone might tell him that mutants helped fight crazy Reed a few months prior. I can almost see a trail of tears thing showing up with that kind of line which is just, nah dude, nah, don't even try and go there.

Unless Cap didn't hate incest, he just hated Wanda and Pietro......

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well Cap outright says
    Hey I don't really agree with this shit. I think mutants are awesome. But the country is a separate matter entirely.

Fury himself says that Cap approves of mutants but he has to work within the system.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I've seen scans of the moment in the MotW thread.
    I can see where Cap is coming from. He's fought/fighting tooth and nail in order to pull the US back into a working country again, lucking into the Presidency along the way. America however is still too fragile at the moment for him to just let the X-Men and the mutants they're protecting to do as they'd like. The power-negation serum and the reserve are the best he can do NOW.

• Options
    oreoguy55oreoguy55 Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I actually really enjoyed the new USM. It showcased how JJ has really evolved as a character, though Betty's thought as to who the new spiderman was didn't really make sense.

oreoguy55 on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    oreoguy55 wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed the new USM. It showcased how JJ has really evolved as a character, though Betty's thought as to who the new spiderman was didn't really make sense.

Made perfect sense. No one ever believes Spider-Man is a kid. Same thing happened to Peter and Black Cat remember?

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    oreoguy55 wrote: »

Made perfect sense. No one ever believes Spider-Man is a kid. Same thing happened to Peter and Black Cat remember?

Yeah, but she would've noticed that Spider-Man was smaller than Prowler, not bigger.

• Options
    oreoguy55oreoguy55 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd say miles body type alone would make him not look like his dad. I mean he's skinny and flailing all the time.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    So JJ knows who Spidey is?

• Options
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So JJ knows who Spidey is?

No, but he doesn't care / want to know now, and wants to do what he can to try to help the new one.

• Options
    1351892610.jpg

1351892648.jpg

1351892650.jpg

1351892666.jpg

Preview art from Ultimates 18.1 by Eaglesham. Looks really good, wouldn't mind him as the ongoing artist even!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I usually like Eaglesham but I'm not digging that. Looks really stiff

• Options
    So is Tony's super-tumor not also slowly killing him?

• Options

• Options
    Wait, why are Kitty and Rogue back in their X-Men uniforms? Not to mention Colossus, who we last saw executing a prison warden in cold blood? Or Wolverine and Nightcrawler (maybe; it's either Nightcrawler or someone in all blue flashing "live long and propser" to the crowd), who are both dead?

• Options
    because it's a dream or something. They wouldnt have President Cap commit Martial Law for three years....

• Options