As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ultimate Comics] Divided We Fall

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    And the Ultimate Universe has always had the problem of retreads of 616 concepts and stories being shoe-horned in. X-Men and Fantastic Four were pretty bad about this, but even Ultimate Spider-Man wasn't immune.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    And the Ultimate Universe has always had the problem of retreads of 616 concepts and stories being shoe-horned in. X-Men and Fantastic Four were pretty bad about this, but even Ultimate Spider-Man wasn't immune.

Ultimate SPider-man isn't really bad about it. Because its not just about doing Ultimate Clone saga. Its about doing that in a void. The Ultimate Clone Saga is awesome both because its really good but because it still feels like a part of the line.

Hickmans arc was like that in that along with adding a few new things to the world he gave us updates and reintroduced characters and concepts when it made sense.

A lot of the Ultimate Universe feels like "Ok I want to do Ultimate This and I don't really feel any need to continue what happened before" so we just keep adding concept that don't get used at all once I'm gone".

Quire.jpg
    I would still love a comp,eyed rebooted ultimate universe, or maybe an alternate "fresh" universe. Sadly, I doubt that pull sell well, especially if the ultimate universe is still running alongside.

Also because I can't, for the life of me, think of a name as good as "Ultimate"

edited March 2013
    I would still love a comp,eyed rebooted ultimate universe, or maybe an alternate "fresh" universe. Sadly, I doubt that pull sell well, especially if the ultimate universe is still running alongside.

Also because I can't, for the life of me, think of a name as good as "Ultimate"

I'm pretty happy with the idea that the Ultimate Universe is going with right now. I'd just like to see stronger writers focus on putting them to good use.

Europe has been swallowed by tech people from the future. Asia by mutants. America is in tatters. Not to mention all the other Ultimate characters that exist right now.

Why are they wasting the Gauntlets when there is so much story potential?

I also just plain feel really frustrated at how Cap's character development has been handled.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Oh, no doubt the current ultimate universe is pretty neat and totally deserves to stick around. I'd just really like the feeling I got with the early Ultimate stuff and wouldn't mind seeing it again in some form. I'd even be fine with a single series for this new universe.

EDIT: BTW, is Ultimate Comics: Captain America worth picking up? It's the only post-ultimatum book I either haven't read or already plan to own.

Undead Scottsman on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    You mean like they did with 2099: World of Tomorrow, in which they brought in all of 2099 under one title?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    Dunno, wasn't into comics when 2099 was around.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I liked the Ultimate Hydra and Ultimate Infinity Gems stuff, the West Coast Avengers bit is really the part I'm kinda ehh on

but Fiakolov's stuff sounds like it's going to be huge deck clearing in anticipation of something new, so I'm excited for that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Did I miss something or wasn't the Ultimate West Coast Avengers more of a cameo, nudge nudge wink wink kind of thing?

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    Did I miss something or wasn't the Ultimate West Coast Avengers more of a cameo, nudge nudge wink wink kind of thing?

Not anymore it seems. I saw a few scans of the group online and...
    ...it's funny how these guys are supposed to be an earlier attempt at the Avengers covert-op team.

ultimates228.png

Can't see why Fury would put them into stasis. They're so discreet.

edited March 2013
    Is... Is that Ultimate Wonder Man? D:

Legba on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Wonder-Bane

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Here's the rest of them if you want to see them in action.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ultimate Wonder Man looks all roid-y because he's a failed attempt to recreate the Hulk

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Ultimate Wonder Man looks all roid-y because he's a failed attempt to recreate the Hulk

Who in turn is a turn in an attempt to replicate the Super Soldier serum. They should retcon it so that the super soldier serum was based on Asgardian DNA; and that Dr. Doom intentionally sabataged the teleportation machine to try and give the Fantastic Four superpowers; that way EVERY SINGLE SUPERHERO can be traced back to the same source.

Except for Iron Man; because Iron Man is a leader, not a follower!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Isn't the Super Soldier Serum a result of the pre-war superhuman arms race that started with the development of Mutants from Wolverine, who was the first actual true mutant?

Solar wrote: »
    Isn't the Super Soldier Serum a result of the pre-war superhuman arms race that started with the development of Mutants from Wolverine, who was the first actual true mutant?
    I thought that was the other way around. America makes super soldiers, Canada goes "Shit, we can top that" and makes mutants, starting with Wolverine.

nightmarenny
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So reading the hilariously long Wikipedia article. Yep, Wolverine was the first actual mutant in the Ultimate Universe, and all mutants were derived from him(Through experimentation).

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Wait, didn't they show that the Hulk formula was perfected before in UCA2, with the Hulk's "mentor"? Incidentally this whole thing feels like a rehash of that. Better Hulk! Better Stark! Better Iron Man! Better (Mrs.) Fury!

Zyrxil on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really don't think fictional super-folk should be tied to things like WHERE IS OSAMA

AntimatterLegbaEtchwartsLalabox
    Was there even a 9/11 in the Ultimate universe?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ehhhh

The Ultimates have always been a militaristic psuedo "real" Avengers.

George Bush, Cap going into Afghanistan, the Giant Man Corps, etc.

Having the black ops Ultimates looking for Bin Laden is totally in line with that. I also think it is way different than, say,if Wonder Man was with Seal Team Six. Or if this was the 616 Avengers.

CYpGAPn.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

i dunno if 9/11 would even be a blip on the radar in that place. Mags shifted the earths axis and wrecked entire countries- title wave hit nyc destroying alot of stuff.. Reed wrecked a whole bunch of the earth two.

Wheres Sue storm and Ben these days? Im a lil behind on ultimates after they took care of reed last.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    mojojoeo wrote: »

i dunno if 9/11 would even be a blip on the radar in that place. Mags shifted the earths axis and wrecked entire countries- title wave hit nyc destroying alot of stuff.. Reed wrecked a whole bunch of the earth two.

Wheres Sue storm and Ben these days? Im a lil behind on ultimates after they took care of reed last.

See, that's kind of what makes the Bin Laden thing so weird for me. In the real world he's already dead, so it's not a contemporary reference, and in-universe it's not a thing that fits all that well, since there was no 9/11 and if there was it's been eclipsed many times over. So unless the preview pages are a flashback to before they were put on ice, it just seems... weird.

Plus roided up Wonder Man look awful. So that probably has something to do with my antipathy.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    After further reflection, the pursuit of a bad guy who's super awful act was utterly eclipsed by another bad guy... i think you could do a thing about vengeance there or craziness or something.

Check the last page.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So unless the preview pages are a flashback to before they were put on ice [...]

That's exactly what they are.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

Check the last page.

Oh snap! TY

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    See, that's kind of what makes the Bin Laden thing so weird for me. In the real world he's already dead, so it's not a contemporary reference, and in-universe it's not a thing that fits all that well, since there was no 9/11 and if there was it's been eclipsed many times over. So unless the preview pages are a flashback to before they were put on ice, it just seems... weird.

On the first page it does say that it's taking place nine years ago. The flashback ends with them being put back in the tanks.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular

On the first page it does say that it's taking place nine years ago. The flashback ends with them being put back in the tanks.

Maybe ultimate osama does something else?

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Benids wrote:
    For the dozens of people who have asked me today about this project, Just put it out of your mind until later.
    I am very excited that you are all excited about the idea of a sequel but we are going to have to wait until the day that regular Marvel universe Peter gets his body back… if that day ever comes.
    the story I want to tell is about Peter and Miles and I’m just going to have to wait until they are both ready for that story. in the meantime miles is going to have the biggest year of his publishing life starting with the very next issue.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    WAY TO GO, @DAN SLOTT

AntimatterVALVEjunkie
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i never thought i could ever be any less happy with the man but
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fAyOtOiKtw

Time Skip for Spider-Man will be one year. Pichelli is leaving the series completely after issue 22 with Marquez taking over full art duties.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    edited April 2013
    I'm trade waiting on the Ultimate Universe and I just noticed that, for some reason, they decided to not release issues 13-18 of Spider-Man, X-men and the Ultimates outside of the "Divided we Fall, United we Stand" collection. There's a paperback version coming later, but did they REALLY decide to cram all three books into a single volume instead of releasing individual trades? That's gonna look messy on my shelf :D And because they did a HC of this, but not the other ultimate books, it's actually coming out after all the 19-23 trades :D

Am I missing something, or is this indeed the case?

Undead Scottsman on

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    pretty sure there is an individual trade of just the spider-man issues at least

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I really really enjoyed Wolverine #3. Quicksilver was written really great, and got the (obvious) confirmation of Jimmy's mother.

Yeah its good. Wish ultimate Universe got better artists though.

Quire.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I'm finding The Ultimates to be a pretty terrible book right now. When your main villain is a politician in a world of Ironmen and Hulks you're not doing something right. It's just so boring.