As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ultimate Comics] Divided We Fall

Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Graphic Violence
8WWOH.jpg
Divided We Fall is here!

lIMEv.jpg
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man
Writer: BRIAN BENDIS
Artist: DAVID MARQUEZ/SARA PICHELLI(Former:Chris Samnee)

fu38y.jpg
Ultimate Comics Ultimates
Writer: SAM HUMPHRIES(Former:Johnathon Hickman)
Artist: BILLY TAN/LUKE ROSS(Former:Esad Ribic, Brandon Peterson)

MGFei.jpg
Ultimate Comics X-Men
Writer: BRIAN WOOD(Former:Nick Spencer)
Artist: PACO MEDINA/CARLO BARBERI

And there have been some minis!

HqQxJ.jpg
Ultimate Comics Iron Man
Writer: NATHAN EDMONDSON
Artist: MATTEO BUFFAGINI

EOMyb.jpg
Spider-Men
Writer: BRIAN BENDIS
Artist: SARA PICHELLI

Gte3r.jpg
Ultimate Comics Hawkeye
Writer: JONATHAN HICKMAN
Artist: RAFA SANDOVAL

ultimates-1.png
Magna Inferno on

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ultimate Avengers was off to a pretty terrible start.

Bloods End on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Are you high

We got Cap riding a motorcycle out of a building, "parachutes are for girls", and the Red Skull revelation

Me Too! on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm with Me Too!, I loved the first UCA issue. Now if you don't like Mark Millar's writing style then you won't like UCA of course.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    mark millar is the most hit-and-miss writer in comics for me. when he hits, i really like it (red son, the second volume of the original ultimates), but when he misses (wanted), it's some of my all-time least favorite entertainment ever in any medium. i guess what i'm saying is he's earned an "always trade-wait" from me.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I liked a lot of the action, dialog, and plot in the very first Ultimates volume, which was the only one I ever read.

I hated the pop-culture references that were already outdated by the time it made it to trade. Especially Hulk chasing Freddie Prince Jr. through New York.

I've decided to give UCA a try just because I'm craving some Cap action, and I left my Brubaker Omnibus back at home.

HadjiQuest on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    mark millar is the most hit-and-miss writer in comics for me. when he hits, i really like it (red son, the second volume of the original ultimates), but when he misses (wanted), it's some of my all-time least favorite entertainment ever in any medium. i guess what i'm saying is he's earned an "always trade-wait" from me.

Or he pulls bullshit like comparing modern America to nazi Germany in his WWII Wolverine issue, or he goes with Whedon's idea for the Civil War ending with the 9/11 heroes taking down Cap in what he thinks is a poignant moment but just roll eyes worthy. And he just won't shut up sometimes and let his work speak for itself.

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That was Whedon's idea?

Robos A Go Go on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hated Millar's run on Fantastic Four, but enjoyed his These Heroes Are Assholes take in UA. The scene where
    Cap just throws unconscious enemies out of a helicopter just because
    summed up the feel of this team. I'm not optimistic with this book being on time in any shape or form, but I'll enjoy it when it arrives.

I've given up on Warren Ellis, so Armor Wars is meh to me. Maybe when it trades, if enough of you like it.

This is the first time I've gone monthly with Ultimate Spider-Man, and it's now one of my most looked for books. Even with the Sephiroth bangs Pete is rocking now.

KidDork on
    edited September 2009
    That was Whedon's idea?

That's what Quesada and Brevoort said when they did their big retreat for planning Civil War (Millar has confirmed this too), Whedon showed up and gave them the idea because they had no way to end the event. Millar's idea of an angry Hulk coming back with hulk babies would have been better.

TexiKen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wait are you talking about the Wolverine in a concentration camp issue Texi? Cause I didn't get that from it at all.

As for Millar in general I agree with Servo, although he hits far more often than he misses with.

And 1985 is a perfect comic in every way.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    I'm guessing that Whedon didn't suggest that a fireman, police man, and a paramedic tackle him at once. Really, if it'd just been a few police men and no one else, it would have worked a lot better.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    wait are you talking about the Wolverine in a concentration camp issue Texi? Cause I didn't get that from it at all.

There was a letter nazi guy wrote at the end of the story that was pretty much what President Bush said about attacking terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan.

TexiKen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Huh, funny I dont remember that at all. I just remember it being a pretty effective ghost story.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I never made the connection with that. Frankly I thought it was one of the best Wolverine stories ever.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited September 2009
    I'm trying to find a scan of it somewhere but it was noticed in reviews like at comics bulletin:

http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/112774830360644.htm

Millar does that shit all the time in his books, when he can't leave well enough alone.

TexiKen on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can someone fill me on how the fuck Magneto ended up with Thor's hammer in Ultimatum? Its still bugging me.

Also, looks like the Ultimates might need to do some membership drives. Its pretty much just Hawkeye and Cap right now.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited September 2009
    I really hope Spider-Man doesn't join the team.

KidDork on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    Can someone fill me on how the fuck Magneto ended up with Thor's hammer in Ultimatum? Its still bugging me.

According to Loeb he ninja'ed it at from Thor at the end of Ultimates 3

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    KidDork wrote: »

I'm going to let you think about this sentence and the fact that Peter is a minor and thus can't join a government sponsored anything for a few more years

Me Too! on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know what - I pray Red Skull was lying.

But so far so good for me.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited September 2009
    I doubt Millar would copout like that.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    KidDork wrote: »

I'm going to let you think about this sentence and the fact that Peter is a minor and thus can't join a government sponsored anything for a few more years

Good point, but I wasn't thinking the legal issue. I was just thinking that Marvel might think it's a cool idea to tie-in their most beloved Ultimate character with their (currently only existing)super-team, thus getting those who only read UCSM to pick up Avengers as well.

But naah. They'd never do that.

KidDork on
    edited September 2009
    Since Peter shows up in the big UCA issue 1 Pacheco splash cover, and the fact that Millar has stated it's the "event" comic for the UC universe, he should be turning up in the book sooner or later. I'm actually curious about this since, to the best of my knowledge, Millar has never written a single line of dialouge for the Ultimate version of Spider-man.

wirehead26 on
    edited September 2009
    Johnny Storm is only a year older than Peter, and he's with the FF who are/were a part of SHIELD.

And I think Millar wrote that Avengers will have a rotating team as the stories deem it, kind of like the JLA under Morrison.

TexiKen on
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Ultimate Avengers is more of a rotating theme. An upcoming arc has Blade and Ghost Rider, for example.

I really enjoyed UA#1, I thought it was a lot of fun.

Asharad on
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if another Ultimate Marvel team-up book would work? It doesn't have to be written by Bendis, it could have a rotating writer and artist team. I'd like it to be an ongoing series but all the issues be practically self contained one-shots, or maybe 2 or 3 issue stories.

wirehead26 on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Have there ever been any jabs at characters by having their Ultimate counterparts just be normal people, off standing in the background?

Like, perhaps Ultimate Sentry could be a mall cop.

HadjiQuest on
    edited September 2009
    I think Ultimate Jessica Jones is a normal person, and not at all like her 616 counterpart in terms of personality.

Ultimate Bob Reynolds being a mall cop is a fantastic idea though.

wirehead26 on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's a terrible idea, and it in no way reflects the beautiful splendor of The Sentry!

sentryrobert_reynolds.jpg

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Marry me, Faynor.

Wildcat on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did they ever do anything with Ultimate Rick Jones after Ultimate Origins #5?

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
    edited September 2009
    Nope.

TexiKen on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Marry me, Faynor.

<3 :winky: <3

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Have there ever been any jabs at characters by having their Ultimate counterparts just be normal people, off standing in the background?

In Ultimate Spidey, there will frequently be scenes in a police station with cops having cuffed some costumed people who are dressed as 616 characters and usually raving. Speedball, Cloak, and Dagger spring to mind. I think there was even someone who was meant to be a Green Lantern at one point.

The most memorable is an overweight black woman dressed as 616 Scarlet Witch screaming 'I'm not crazy! I'm not crazy!'

Though I don't know if that would count as 'normal' people.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited September 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

In Ultimate Spidey, there will frequently be scenes in a police station with cops having cuffed some costumed people who are dressed as 616 characters and usually raving. Speedball, Cloak, and Dagger spring to mind. I think there was even someone who was meant to be a Green Lantern at one point.

The most memorable is an overweight black woman dressed as 616 Scarlet Witch screaming 'I'm not crazy! I'm not crazy!'

Though I don't know if that would count as 'normal' people.

Yeah, Spidey usually has a bunch. I think in Ult 131 (just prior to ultimatum) he goes in to the police station and theres a Spiderwoman in there getting arrested.

The only other one that sticks out in my mind is in an Ultimate Xmen where the US government talks about mutants and Bishop gets named dropped - only in this universe, hes a criminal.

Kris_xK on
    edited September 2009
    Bishop did appear later in the series, though.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah you're right, I just struck that entire fucking arc from my mind.

Kris_xK on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ultimate Deadpool?

Wildcat on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So it's been a while since i read the two Ultimate Iron Man's, but there was no previous mention of Tony's brother before UC 2 was there?

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited September 2009
    I think both of Orson Scott Cards Ultimate Iron Man stories will be ignored by Millar.

wirehead26 on