As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ancient Forum History

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    When were your favourite times on the PA forums? .
    Whenever I'm having fun and allowed to do my thing. With style and panache. With love and loathing. Oh god, I love this place. I wouldn't have 25K posts if I didn't

I love all of you. Except Sheri. You have to stay out in the backyard in the freezing cold. Take horrible pictures while you're out there. Hah, like I have to even tell you to do that.

You guys have no idea how soft we've gotten here. You weren't around for DrD using another dude's account and trolling with it.

You weren't here for the amazing contest, Who was the Worst Jewish Mod Ever?

Evander or Batjew, it is tough to say. Both were giant fucking douchebags. For real. My god. How did people even like Batjew. And don't get me started on Evander.

Ooops, too late.

Guys, boddah made a t-shirt of me humping a mailbox? Who wants to buy them? I can print out a few, if you send me your details, and I'll sell them at a 500% markup. My grandpa ran the giftshop in Auschwitz. What was that? Why yes I am Jewish.

Guys, it is my birthday. You will know this because I am going to lock every single fucking thread on the page. Oh, why am I the mod of EE? Because I was such a drop of Onan's wasted seed that I could not get along with the M2 mods, but Ramius hated ripping off mod badges, and he made a place that I could turn into my own personal fiefdom.

firu, I love you man. Thanks for writing all of those rules and the huge amount of groundwork you did. It was awesome. Made taking the reins easy after you were gone.

Who wants Eggnog? Not me though, I'm going to the dogpark in a bit...there might be pictures.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ramius wrote:
    Holy fuck, dyna.

A little early to be this drunk, isn't it?

It's never too early for Dyna to be drunk

Johannen on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Ramius wrote:
    Holy fuck, dyna.

A little early to be this drunk, isn't it?
    Stone cold sober and you know it. I haven't had a drop since I stuck my foot in my mouth in Beth's kitchen and verbally mauled my closest female friend ever. God it felt so good at the time. My conscience is there, but it takes a while to wake up.

Welcome to the gathering, Ramius.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ramius joined in 2000?! Is he the earliest member then?

Johannen on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8028

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    titmouse wrote:
    How did Cardboard Tube become a mod?
    He's been here forever and he caught Ramius' at some point. CT is not his first account. I do not know what his original account was. He's told some people, I think, but I haven't found anyone that would dish

Basically, he was funny, incisive, and seemed to know himself and others. Oh, and he wasn't a douchebag teenager. That helps tons. Also he didn't a CT for Mod campaign.

His selection was understated compared to most. Pretty interesting. One of the few where I do not know the relevent details about it.

Ready for some serious bean spilling? Great.

My first post to the PA forums matches my join date. So, as you can see, I've been around for a long long time. I'm pretty sure denihilist predates me, and maybe a couple others from the phorum days...I noticed Doc mentioned being from that era.

But through the entire phroum age as well as most of the M2 age, I was an on-and-off lurker. So while I could recognize several names and knew something about a lot of people, I didn't know a lot about anybody.

I didn't have anyone I really knew and trusted to give me straight dope on who could be trusted for leadership positions. So I had to make judgements based on what I could gather from a couple weeks of post history.

There there was a lot of prestige that came with PA forum leadership positions back then...more than there is now, I think ( probably due to there being only about 6 mods/admins at the time, and the entire history of the forum from 2000-2003 had known probably less than 10-12 mods/admins.) So as you can imagine, there were a hell of a lot of jockying for position. That made things doubly hard for me.

I digress.

So, I don't remember the date or anything, but some time in mid-2003 there were people complaining that we didn't have good 24-hour mod coverage. So we decided to try and pick up a European or Australian. I had a couple different potential candidates...One thing I really liked about CT was his "The Mouse" alt that he would use for when he wanted to really rip into people. But I don't think I've ever mentioned what clinched the deal for me regarding CT. Because there is some controversy and shame in it for me.

Here's the controversial part: See, when choosing a mod, I wanted to know more about them than their public persona, so I would read their PM's, and search through other people's PMs to see what they said about these people.

Here's the part I'm ashamed to admit: I knew CT had gone by a different name during M2, and a lot of people speculated publically about who he was. CT had confided in someone (unrealJuJu? Gozza? I'm not sure) in a PM, in a very serious and believable tone, that he was RobSoft (the guy who started Citadel of Truth). And I, like the poor gullible girl he told it to, believed him.

And that is how CT became a mod.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8028

lol

Johannen on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Ramius wrote:
    Here's the part I'm ashamed to admit: I knew CT had gone by a different name during M2, and a lot of people speculated publically about who he was. CT had confided in someone (unrealJuJu? Gozza? I'm not sure) in a PM, in a very serious and believable tone, that he was RobSoft (the guy who started Citadel of Truth). And I, like the poor gullible girl he told it to, believed him.

And that is how CT became a mod.
    :lol:

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Here is a screencap from when Ramius let some of us see the old forum software.

fyrelisting.png

The bastard has yet to ever give me my old join date back.

Also, I wonder whatever happened to F_disk.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    I think the Spooky/Reign situation remains one of the best parts of the PA Forums. I'm sure they're more alike in real life, but man, on the forums there was nothing in common.

A duck! on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Why was redx demodded?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Why was redx demodded?

cause I was tired of being a mod and asked.

not ancient history, but I still think it is fucking hilarious.
    lolsth4.jpg

that and the gold standard thread.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    @w@; I'm gonna call you people "grandpa" and "grandma" now. @_@

You sound just like grandpa and grandma :shock:

Oh, what I wanted to ask: Who exactly decided to make others mods?

Aldo on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    That entire chat room was full of weirdos. I actually held significantly long AIM conversations with Allie_Gamer, pretty much because she was from Minnesota. Absolute nutbag that one, she frightened me.

I asked her where she worked once and she said Kohls and apparently she got in an assload of trouble and grounded from the internet for like a month for "revealing her location" like there aren't 20 Kohl's stores in the twin cities area.

Eden may have kicked Elliot in the face, but I still have my girl <3

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    YodaTuna wrote:
    That entire chat room was full of weirdos. I actually held significantly long AIM conversations with Allie_Gamer, pretty much because she was from Minnesota. Absolute nutbag that one, she frightened me.

I asked her where she worked once and she said Kohls and apparently she got in an assload of trouble and grounded from the internet for like a month for "revealing her location" like there aren't 20 Kohl's stores in the twin cities area.

I think I spoke to your GF once over WoW. Does/did she play on Kul Tiras, with people named things like Pulse and Grundlius and Minada?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    YodaTuna wrote:

I think I spoke to your GF once over WoW. Does/did she play on Kul Tiras, with people named things like Pulse and Grundlius and Minada?

We played on Sargeras orginally and then she started playing with some other people on some other server, but I have no idea which one, nor do I recall what her name was.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    LoserLoser Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    reign was my first real enemy on the boards, he will always hold a special place in my heart. i forget when he disappeared, i have a feeling he never made it over to the ezboards with the rest of us.

Loser on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Edit 2: Although I don't actually know how that cunt-moner (DrD, I mean) actually got to be a mod in the first place.

When M2 was blown up by Sir Robin, I had just recently been brought on as a contributing programmer. I had put together a demo for Tycho and Gabe of a comic-search. I wrote it in perl, and hosted it on my own server. They asked me if I could do it in PHP since that was what their server was running, and I had just recently been hired at a job where I was required to learn PHP, so it was a great learning opportunity for me, plus an exciting prospect to write code that would be used by so many tens of thousands (yeah, PA was smaller then) of people.

When PA had moved from MosterHost? (MonsterServer? ServerMonster?) to homeLAN some 9-12 months earlier, the homeLAN folks offerred to set them up with their customized version of phpBB. homeLAN was a clusterfuck from day one, and their phpBB1 modifications reflected that. But it WAS better than the 2 year old "phorum" software that Tycho himself had installed. There were no post timers. I believe you could post Flash or use Flash avatars or something, so you could be smacked with audio when browsing the forum. The posts-per-page were set at like 10, so what is a 100-page thread today would be a 250-page thread then...And they had like only one forum (not counting A/C) and didn't do ANY pruning, so there were like 130 pages of threads, and I believe some of those threads approached 300 or 400 pages of posts? There were moderators then, but I don't think there was any moderation in the sense of avoiding excess or extremes. I don't actually know if it is true or not, but there was a belief at the time that some crazy slowness of the PA server was directly attributable to the forums. Oh, and the homeLAN programmer had disappeared. So there was no technical support at all.

Again, I digress.

So Saruman the White spammed the forums something wicked. Whippy was admin then, and he flipped out in the admin forum. Gabe came by and made the decision that the whole forum thing just wasn't working out anymore. So he shut it down (all but ClubPA, that is)

Now, I'm fuzzy on the next part, but I think DrD was already a mod. Possibly as a joke, or possibly just of ClubPA...I'm not sure. But anyways, things were still up in the air as to how temporary of a shutdown this would be. DrD went to the trouble of cleaning up the mess left behind by Sauruman the White, and Whippy had said something nice about him in the admin discussions on account of that. Also, by being a clubPA member, he was still actively posting up in ClubPA and I was led to seeing him as something of a leadership figure.

I initiated discussions with Gabe and Whippy in the admin forum about resurrecting the forums under a new codebase with the following in mind: 1) more security ( to prevent the sort of thing that Saruman the White did ), 2) measures taken to try and minimize the impact of the forums on the mainsite, and 3) more active moderation to try and give Gabe and Tycho more of a sense of control and containment of what was viewed to be a very wild and unruly place.

It was on the basis of point 3 that we decided to come out with a new Games and Technology forum when we re-opened, and that that subforum would be heavily moderated, approachable, and accessible. DrD was very much into Games, and he had a lot of ideas about cracking down on things to run a strictly moderated forum, which was how he came to get the job. What also helped him a lot was that by the time I was looking for mods, the idea of TTB had already been hatched, and so a lot of people had committed to that project, leaving fewer candidates available to me.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    redx wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Why was redx demodded?

lolsth4.jpg

How the fuck did that go from Gold Standard to Digimon, and Clawshrimp the wannabe Digifucker?

EDIT: So how do you become an Admin then? aside from just being a normal Mod?

Johannen on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Why was redx demodded?

lolsth4.jpg

How the fuck did that go from Gold Standard to Digimon, and Clawshrimp the wannabe Digifucker?
    It was about Digimon first, and then I asked redx to change the title, and we all started talking about the gold standard. Shrimpy was thoroughly confused. And then Senji got him to start the same thread over at SE++.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Loser wrote:
    reign was my first real enemy on the boards, he will always hold a special place in my heart. i forget when he disappeared, i have a feeling he never made it over to the ezboards with the rest of us.

??

I don't know if he made it to ezboards, but he was definitely around during the Feb-Aug 2003 timeframe. I think I remember him being one of the first people to get banned from the forum after it was opened under my leadership.

Ramius on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    yeeheehee
    extremely dark, very complex issues like Angst, death of loved ones, fitting in with your peers etc.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    yeeheehee
    extremely dark, very complex issues like Angst, death of loved ones, fitting in with your peers etc.
    Wait...

Did Clawshrimpy just say he was bi in that thread?

Wow.

<3 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Why was redx demodded?

lolsth4.jpg

It was about Digimon first, and then I asked redx to change the title, and we all started talking about the gold standard. Shrimpy was thoroughly confused. And then Senji got him to start the same thread over at SE++.

That's a nice trick, it's made him out to look a complete douche.

Johannen on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    Let my join date be a testament to how swell of a dude Alpha is.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Johannen wrote:
    EDIT: So how do you become an Admin then? aside from just being a normal Mod?

I believe every admin before whippy was a friend or acquaintance of Gabe and Tycho in real-life? I'm not positive. Was psilar an admin before whippy? I don't think psilar knew Mike and Jerry.

I got adminship by being the guy who rebuilt the forums from the ground-up and by being in control of the code and the data.

When I was stepping down, I looked for someone with server administration and programming skills who I knew and trusted so I could vouch for them when asking Gabe and Tycho to give them a server account.

alpha wasn't really interested in running the whole show, though, so I also needed someone that could be a decision-maker/peacekeeper, so I asked denihilist to do it.

denihilist passed that torch to bone daddy, who eventually gave it back, and then deni gave it back to whippy ( who had been admin 3 years earlier, remember )

Ramius on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nice thread Dyna. I started lurking the PA forums somewhere before the shutdown, but didn't register until a while after they came back. I think I started lurking in AC, then moved onto SE very briefly. It was too random for me I guess. Plus, there seemed to be no end to Juan related drama going on in there at the time, and I found that shit tedious as hell.

Wasn't there a thread with a lot of this stuff in it it Linksville? I wonder if that got saved when they nuked that place.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    fuck, I don't think I answered your question.

You become admin by being the right person in the right place at the right time. To become a whippy sort of admin, you need to be known and trusted by the outgoing admin at a time he/she decides to give up the title.

To be an alpha sort of admin is a little harder because you need to additionally gain the trust of Gabe and/or Tycho and/or possibly Robert.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    Wasn't there a thread with a lot of this stuff in it it Linksville? I wonder if that got saved when they nuked that place.

yeah, I moved it to ClubPA.

Ramius on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ramius wrote:
    Corvus wrote:

yeah, I moved it to ClubPA.

Maybe it should go to AFK? Since lots of us can't view ClubPA. That is, if enough people care enough about the ancient history of the forums. On the otherhand, I don't know that anyone actually looks at AFK either.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ramius wrote:
    fuck, I don't think I answered your question.

You become admin by being the right person in the right place at the right time. To become a whippy sort of admin, you need to be known and trusted by the outgoing admin at a time he/she decides to give up the title.

To be an alpha sort of admin is a little harder because you need to additionally gain the trust of Gabe and/or Tycho and/or possibly Robert.

Was it whippy who had the bust-up with mcc not so long ago?Or was that someone else? I saw the whole thing go down when mcc posted it up just so he'd sto getting hassled about it.

From what i've seen of forums so far i think this is one of the closer (and better) forum communities around. I mean, i've never been part of a forum community before and never really posted on forums, and this is the only one that's been able to catch my eye and keep me.

Johannen on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've been here for a few years I guess. I basically just lurk most of the time (don't even have an avatar!) - I remember a lot of the shit talked about in this thread.

I remember actually joining because some idiot posted some stupid shit about chemistry or something, that was completely wrong.

Its funny how many people have actually stuck around.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    How is the Everything Else branch of the Penny-Arcade doing this Holiday season? I've had a shitstorm hit my life, but for some reason, it's like water off A duck!'s back. Ain't no thing.

Anyway, I just got back from the dog park. Expect pictures of Gus. You can see how awful and ugly Houston is. And oh my god, how it sucks to not be snowed in right now and be able to walk around and not have your dick freeze off and shatter into a million pieces.

:twisted:

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What the heck happened to destroy Eden/Ellioto...they seemed so in love!

I used to talk to them both on MSN as ArsenicInTheJava...dabble really.

I remember the whole "Nads is Missing" fiasco was actually a big deal because it essentially caused a post depression. He may have been popular but Nads was also the most prevalent post whore on the forums.

Edit: Oh, I also remember making DrDizaster his sprite for the sprite thread and the discoparty pic with my sprite macking on all the chicks...my sprite was kinda lame though since I didn't have the whole "Inquisitive Skull" thing going on.

I also miss playing battlefield with pancake and everyons else.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    my doors and windows are all open and there is a nice breeze.

It's about 80.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't remember when I originally joined (It was before the Tribalwar brouhaha). I remember that Bizket was the mod, and Whippy still used the MTG card art for his avatar. Then I took a break for many months, came back and found that my account was wiped during a format change.
    Dynagrip wrote:
    drunkey - short dude, lived in my town for a couple of years. Anyway, he posted at CoT. You can guess his theme. I remember really liking him at the time, but started to hate him when we hung in person. Total fucking cockblocker for no reason.

I remember drunkey, Libertarian dude, used a photo of Jack Daniel for his avatar, I think. I think I called him a couple things over his particular stripe of Libertarianism (i.e. that the government should serve no purpose other than to maintain the military, also pacifism and an aversion to military service). Dyna, were you around when someone started begging for his own custom title and was labeled "Bizket's Bitch"?

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    LoserLoser Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ramius wrote:
    Now, I'm fuzzy on the next part, but I think DrD was already a mod.

drd was definitely a mod before gabe took the forums down. i hated both him and r7x7-whatever the fuck the other guys name was. i trolled them whenever possible. at one point i had a "got mods?" sig, which i don't think they appreciated too much.

also:
    gabe_kart.gif

Loser on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I don't remember when I originally joined (It was before the Tribalwar brouhaha). I remember that Bizket was the mod, and Whippy still used the MTG card art for his avatar. Then I took a break for many months, came back and found that my account was wiped during a format change.
    Uh, are you dysphoric_broccoli or whatever by any chance???

Did you happen to do a beautiful photoshop of Britney Spears receiving much man juice? Was that you?

Please tell me that is you.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Uh, are you dysphoric_broccoli or whatever by any chance???

Did you happen to do a beautiful photoshop of Britney Spears receiving much man juice? Was that you?

Please tell me that is you.

Nope, I was Knuckle Dragger back then, too. My avatar was a big yellow smiley with beetle brow and an underbite.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fuck. I just realized I never get to play in Phalla again. Damn it!!!

I guess I could set up a penny-arcade forumer themed phalla.

That could be interesting. Fuck. I think I'm the only one that could do that too.

Hmmm....

Dynagrip on