As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Monday, May 4, 2009

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only house rule that we had was that if I ever ran out of money I could have infinite interest-free loans from the banker until I won the game.

Furthermore, whomever was the banker considered all the bank reserves their own personal cash.

Also, I was always banker.

The_Scarab on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I only ever finished maybe half of the Monopoly games I've played in. After a while everyone just gets tired of it.

JoeUser on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was always the banker to keep people from cheating.

If for some reason I wasn't the banker, I watched the banker like a hawk.

Speed Racer on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I think I only ever finished maybe half of the Monopoly games I've played in. After a while everyone just gets tired of it.

Well yeah, once everything gets bought up it just turns into a really tedious game of roulette.

Speed Racer on
  • Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    russian monopoly roulette.

land on boardwalk? pull the trigger. roll doubles? trigger.

railroads? trigger.

if you end up in jail, you get to pull the trigger six times.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Oh man

I totally ruined the palms of my hands playing the games in the original mario party where they made you twirl the control stick to do things like reel fish in or whatever

Those of you who played it as children will know what I'm talking about

It aways amazed me how I could dig a hole that deep into my hand and never have it bleed. It's like the friction was cauterizing the wound as it being made or something.

Good times.

The worst thing was I don't know about anyone elses N64 controller but on mine the grey plastic that the analog stick was made of had long started to shave off and turn into this poisonous looking white powder gently dusting the entire surface of the pad.

I kept thinking 'if I breathe this in by mistake am I going to have a lung amputated'.

YES I thought it was just me! Every time I picked up the thing to play some Star Fox or Banjo-Kazooie or whatever I would try and clean that shit off the controller, but there was always, always more of it. I was never too concerned about it, but then again I wasn't too concerned about the holes I was ripping into my hand either. And yes Marcus, it was very strange how they never bled- just made skin peel off in chunks.

My parents eventually took away the Mario Party game. I was upset at the time, but looking back I think they should have taken it away sooner

Didgeridoo on
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you read the monopoly rules, it is explicit that house rules are allowed, but that the official rules do not include winning the fees when landing on free parking.

It is like they want you to break the rules. All of them.

And let me tell you, Monopoly land is a cold, cold place when anarchy abounds.

Spicy_Rev on
    edited May 2009
    I think Nintendo gave out gloves for Mario Party because some of the stick twirling games would eat the flesh off your palm.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I keep hearing about this game and I keep needing to play it. HRRRM.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited May 2009
    More house rules

I hadn't heard of most of them.

JoeUser on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Best house rule is "bank robber"

Self explanatory

Me Too! on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    * No players may purchase property before all players have passed Go at least 5 times.
    that sure sounds like fun

Zek on
    edited May 2009
    I know the rule about having to pass Go at least once, but five times?

what exactly do you do? What happens to that guy who keeps rolling snake-eyes?

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
    edited May 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »
    I know the rule about having to pass Go at least once, but five times?

what exactly do you do? What happens to that guy who keeps rolling snake-eyes?

25th_mugg_snakeeyes.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »
    that is the only house rule I am familiar with.

are there other wacky rules that some people apply to monopoly?

I haven't read the rules of monopoly for a while so I can't remember if this was a rule or something my friends and I came up with. When we used to play we would be allowed a £2000 overdraft. So if you landed on people's property you didn't have to pay them back straight away. As soon as you more than 2k you had to pay it off until you were within the limit again.

Bad-Beat on
    edited May 2009

But it also says Risk is dumb and I cannot accept that.

Speed Racer on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's stupid. If you can't pay you lose the game, that's the whole point of the game, to bankrupt the other players.

jwalk on
    edited May 2009
    Risk, dumb?

Shenanigans!

jwalk, yeah we knew that but we liked making the game last longer. It didn't really change much just delayed the outcome.

Bad-Beat on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the Free Parking rule might as well be official

everyone I've ever played with has used it

Centipede Damascus on
    edited May 2009
    Because if you don't you're a communist piece of shit

Me Too! on
    edited May 2009
    What I can't stand is when people play with this "negotiate anything you want" rule. Like someone lands on your $400 hotel spot and they can't pay so you say "oh just give me that railroad instead".

NO! FUCKING... NO!! The rules are quite clear, you either come up with the $400 by mortgaging your shit or YOU ARE OUT and all your property goes back to the bank. I mean MAYBE you can take something of EQUAL value but that fucking railroad is only worth $50 you can't take that in lieu of paying $400 rent!

jwalk on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

But it also says Risk is dumb and I cannot accept that.

Risk is the anger maker though.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Risk is awesome and people who don't enjoy the game are the worst kind of child molesters.

Hunter on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You're a bastard, Hunter, because now I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.

NotASenator on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I fucking love Risk, but at heart I am an evil man.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Risk is the best game to play for six hours straight

Centipede Damascus on
    edited May 2009
    Risk just takes too long.

jwalk on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Risk is infuriating because it's a game that wants you to believe it's based on strategy and superior tactics but then you lose a few unlucky dice rolls and suddenly you're fucked.

Javen on
    edited May 2009
    I like to build my forces in Australia, then sweep across Eurasia leaving one man in each country

Do it right and build a "wall" between your new land and the other guy and you're safe

If you're the swept one, build your forces, punch through, and wipe out all those pissant holds he has on Asia

Me Too! on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Risk is infuriating because it's a game that wants you to believe it's based on strategy and superior tactics but then you lose a few unlucky dice rolls and suddenly you're fucked.

Axis and Allies is the same way. Strategy be damned if you roll dice like a retard.

Hunter on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    What I can't stand is when people play with this "negotiate anything you want" rule. Like someone lands on your $400 hotel spot and they can't pay so you say "oh just give me that railroad instead".

NO! FUCKING... NO!! The rules are quite clear, you either come up with the $400 by mortgaging your shit or YOU ARE OUT and all your property goes back to the bank. I mean MAYBE you can take something of EQUAL value but that fucking railroad is only worth $50 you can't take that in lieu of paying $400 rent!

Or people deciding they have "a truce" with another player and not paying each other rent

fffffffffffffffff

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »

Or people deciding they have "a truce" with another player and not paying each other rent

fffffffffffffffff

Using real world currency to barter trades within the board game universe.

Even better because we only ever played Monopoly at Christmas when the whole family were around so it usually revolved around paying rent and loan bills with turkey and dessert portions.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2009
    Great, now I want to play Risk.

Bad-Beat on
    edited May 2009
    Shit like that is how fights get started.

Some house rules are fun like Stock Market but the rules clearly forbid cash loans of any kind or "immunities" from paying rent between players. You ARE allowed to trade properties between players for any price agreed upon but even that gets dicey sometimes if people start playing favorites.

jwalk on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    you guys are reminding me that I have yet to play Settlers of Catan

and I really really want to

Vann Diras on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone who thinks Risk takes forever should try playing just a few turns of Advanced Squad Leader.

NotASenator on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Settlers of Catan.

If you like monopoly, but hate the bullshit that goes with it, give Settlers a try.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    really the only board game me and my friends play is risk

we are all too poor to go buy the other games we'd like to try

Vann Diras on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I tried the demo of Microsoft's Settlers of Catan but then when the demo expired I didn't feel it was worth $30

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.