As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tie in Mouth Joke

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    "brown-skinned savages"

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ness445 wrote: »
    I figured most people would think Indian from...India. Not Native American.

That's what I thought but you can never be too sure.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited May 2009
    Yes goddamn it.

Wait, what is the PC term for the indigenous people of Australia?

I can tell you the un-pc term.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Look if I'm going make a race-targeted joke I'm not going to use any bullshit pc terms

Weaver on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes goddamn it.

Wait, what is the PC term for the indigenous people of Australia?

I think just aborigines.

JoeUser on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    platupii

Weaver on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    red dot or feather

Mister Longbaugh on
  • GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, there are two Russian soldiers riding a bus during the Soviet occupation of Poland. They're patrolling around to make sure people are where they need to be for curfew in an hour. The bus stops and picks up a Polish guy.

"Oh, hey, Ivan!" he says.
    "Hi, Jozef," one of the soldiers replies.
    "What's up?"
    "Ehh, not much. Just riding on the bus, patrolling... the usual."
    "Ah."

And the three of them ride on the bus for about 15 minutes, and then Ivan shoots Jozef. Ivan's comrade looks shocked and says, "What the hell? Why'd you shoot him? It's too early for curfew!"

"Yeah," said Ivan, "But I know where he lives, and he would have never made it home on time."
    ~~~
    This joke as told by the Polish.

GoldenSeducer on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't forget fuckin' Lapps.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited May 2009
    The darkies.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    2281587048_2908ff3f42.jpg

Bad-Beat on
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    dudes the demo of Plants VS Zombies is out

go play it

it's fun

preordered on steam for ten bucks, hoyusssssssh.

Dee Kae on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey guys I made a joke by translating an untranslatable swedish joke and trying to get it to make sense.

What has black and white stripes and is used as underwear by mermaids?
    The Zebra!

Vic on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You don't call them bra's in sweden.

Do you?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In Sweden "Se bra" means "see good".

I think you can figure out the rest of the joke.

Edit: What is large, hairy and cares about the environment?

Vic on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sweden needs to buck its ideas up.

Bad-Beat on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    In Sweden "Se bra" means "see good".

I think you can figure out the rest of the joke.

Edit: What is large, hairy and cares about the environment?

al gore

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I only use native american

never indian

"American Indian" is the closest thing to accurate blanket term there is. Native American is misleading, since no American is native. Even the Indians came across on the Bering Strait. Ideally, you refer to Indians by their specific tribe. If you can't, or if you need to talk about a whole bunch of 'em American Indian is preferred.

There was a whole discussion of the matter at an Indian conference about a decade back, with leaders past and present from a bunch of major tribes, anthropolgists, Indian authors - a cool variety of people. I was mainly there to see my aunt and Wilma Mankiller, but it was all really fascinating. Anyway, one of the dudes said (and I paraphrase) "Hey, we should just consider ourselves lucky that Columbus didn't think he'd found the Virgin Islands." We all had a good laugh.

Also, I thought this thread was gonna be about the singer from INXS.

Poorochondriac on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    dudes the demo of Plants VS Zombies is out

go play it

it's fun

preordered on steam for ten bucks, hoyusssssssh.
    came with a free game, too!

some wonky tank shooting thing

Abracadaniel on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I believe he used a plastic bag

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited May 2009
    BusterK wrote: »

I believe he used a plastic bag

Perhaps he just choked on all his raw talent.

Poorochondriac on
  • seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

never indian

"American Indian" is the closest thing to accurate blanket term there is. Native American is misleading, since no American is native. Even the Indians came across on the Bering Strait. Ideally, you refer to Indians by their specific tribe. If you can't, or if you need to talk about a whole bunch of 'em American Indian is preferred.

There was a whole discussion of the matter at an Indian conference about a decade back, with leaders past and present from a bunch of major tribes, anthropolgists, Indian authors - a cool variety of people. I was mainly there to see my aunt and Wilma Mankiller, but it was all really fascinating. Anyway, one of the dudes said (and I paraphrase) "Hey, we should just consider ourselves lucky that Columbus didn't think he'd found the Virgin Islands." We all had a good laugh.

my main concern is making it clear whether I'm talking about people from india or the americas

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    look all i know is bitches is bitches

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited May 2009

never indian

my main concern is making it clear whether I'm talking about people from india or the americas

If people can't tell from context, they're stupid and you probably shouldn't be talking to them anyway. Also Indian-Americans, African-Americans, Chinese-Americans - there's a pretty standard nomenclature there, and American Indian is clearly different.

Sorry, I know I'm being pedantic. I get kinda riled about Indian stuff.

Poorochondriac on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Billy-Bob McGraw strolls into town at just before noon. The main street is deserted. He climbs down off his horse, holsters his revolver and walks into the saloon. No-one is there except a barman. He orders a whiskey.
    "Where is everybody?" he asks.
    The barman explains that they're all down at the courthouse for a hangin'.
    "Who's getting the drop?" he ventures further.
    "Brown Paper Pete"
    "Who's he?"
    "Some outlaw. His boots are made of brown paper. His chaps of brown paper. His hat is made o' brown paper, even his stinkin' shirt is brown paper through n' through."
    "What's he bin' tried for then?"
    "Rustlin'"

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Billy-Bob McGraw strolls into town at just before noon. The main street is deserted. He climbs down off his horse, holsters his revolver and walks into the saloon. No-one is there except a barman. He orders a whiskey.
    "Where is everybody?" he asks.
    The barman explains that they're all down at the courthouse for a hangin'.
    "Who's getting the drop?" he ventures further.
    "Brown Paper Pete"
    "Who's he?"
    "Some outlaw. His boots are made of brown paper. His chaps of brown paper. His hat is made o' brown paper, even his stinkin' shirt is brown paper through n' through."
    "What's he bin' tried for then?"
    "Rustlin'"

Hahahahahaha, telling this almost immediately

Poorochondriac on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm actually gunna answer the question in the OP because I was obsessed with this movie when I was a little kid.

The movie is 'The Mask' and he does it when Cameron Diaz tries to set up a bank account with him near the beginning, because she complimented his tie.

My life is sad.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I'm actually gunna answer the question in the OP because I was obsessed with this movie when I was a little kid.

The movie is 'The Mask' and he does it when Cameron Diaz tries to set up a bank account with him near the beginning, because she complimented his tie.

My life is sad.
    doubly so since it was already answered top of page 3

Houk the Namebringer on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kid_zombie wrote: »
    I was at a wedding this past weekend, and I attempted to make the table i was at laugh by making my tie look like it was coming out of my mouth.

quit plugging your stuff

no free ads

Evander on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

never indian

dots and feathers

I think that as far as what's accurate is concerned, Native American is no more accurate than African American, and so both are just used as to refer to Indians and Blacks without much thought to their accuracy

Asiatic Indians versus American Indians are the terms usually heard, but even American Indian is misleading because then what do you call an Asiatic Indian who is American? because let's face it, even though "Asian American" is technically correct, when you think "Asian American" you don't think of Indians right away

so you know

there's that

(also to clarify I call African American inaccurate because not all Africans are black, I know two African-born Americans who are white so in their case "African American" is closer to the truth than Caucasian, being that their families has been there for aaaaages)

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would also like to know why Asian people born in America don't insist on being called Asian American.

Blake T on
  • Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    I would also like to know why Asian people born in America don't insist on being called Asian American.

I've always figured it's because African-American refers to a specific group of people, that is to say, those descended from slaves from Africa--whereas Africans are people from Africa more recently. With Asians there is no need for such distinction

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A group of nuns are renovating an old church. It's a terribly hot day and their garb is sweltering. The Mother Superior goes off for a moment and thinks hard, consults her years of experience and decides that in lieu of the baking heat and their hot, sweaty work they should undress. Completely.
    As a precaution they bolt the church doors.
    After a while they start to cool down, working naked has certainly not helped their esteem but it has gotten the church fixed up in no time. There is a knock on the door.
    They look around at each other, clothes piled in a corner and panic. The Mother Superior calls for calm and goes to answer it.
    "Yes, hello? Who is there please?"
    "It is I. The blind man"

She goes back to the group, huddled in the corner now patently aware of their exposed shame.
    "Who is it Mother Superior?"
    "It is the blind man. Perhaps he has come for forgiveness but has not seen the church is in ruin."
    "Clothes or no clothes, it is our duty to aid him in his holy rites."

The Mother Superior goes back to the door.
    "Blind man?"
    "Yes?"
    "You can come in, just give me a moment to unbolt the door"

She unlocks the door and the rest of the naked nuns go back to their arduous work.
    The door opens and a man walks in holding a large rolled up bag under one arm.
    "Hey nice tits sister. Now, where are your windows? Got something here that will keep this sun off ya' back"

The_Scarab on
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just call them (the people in the US who live on reservations) Native Indians

see, it's funny because it doesn't make sense

Randall_Flagg on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Because African-American is a term that exists because we're bad at coming up with good blanket terms

See also: Indians (Native Americans, American Indians, First Nations Peoples)

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    no AMP'd I just explained silly

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My best friend is a black African (from Togo) that immigrated to America.

But none of that matters because they speak French in Togo so he is the butt of my many, many French jokes.

Faricazy on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    no AMP'd I just explained silly

Oh duh

Also, Arab-Americans are a weird group

A group that includes Steve Jobs and Ralph Nader

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Isn't that kind of poor reasoning? Every people came from somewhere else, if you go back far enough (up to a point).

Not disagreeing with you, since you know more about this than I do, I'm just saying.

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I've always figured it's because African-American refers to a specific group of people, that is to say, those descended from slaves from Africa--whereas Africans are people from Africa more recently. With Asians there is no need for such distinction

Asians in America are from Asia pretty recently, too

plenty of families are only third-gen or second-gen

for instance my cousins were born in Texas even though their parents grew up in Asia, and they certainly don't insist that they be called Asian Americans

like, I see what you're saying, in that African Americans refer ONLY to those who descended from slaves in Africa, but it just strikes me as a blanket term for everyone who's black in the US

even people who weren't born in Africa but happen to be black and American are called African American... a friend of a friend is one such individual, and when he fills in those forms people always tell him he checked the wrong box

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER