As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

These things are why NASA needs more money

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Lockout wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »
    There are times I get depressed because immortality is unfeasible owing to the tendency of systems to move towards entropy and the eventual heat death of the universe.

The second one wouldn't really bother me a whole lot, because man if I lived that long, I would think it's an acceptable end point.

Being around for the end of the Universe would be pretty interesting.
    I'm pretty certain it would be boring as fuck

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    There are times I get depressed because immortality is unfeasible owing to the tendency of systems to move towards entropy and the eventual heat death of the universe.

The second one wouldn't really bother me a whole lot, because man if I lived that long, I would think it's an acceptable end point.

Druhim's just jaded because he was around for the beginning and it was not what he had hoped

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey does anyone know if there are any image libraries or resources on the Web containing pictures of what it looks like on the bottom of the sea floor? Obviously it's pitch black down there, but I'm assuming they've sent probes with torches and shit down there...?
    3546_web.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Its easy to get an idea, just lock yourself in a lightless freezer.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Druhim's just jaded because he was around for the beginning and it was not what he had hoped
    seriously, what would be interesting about it? It would just be a slow, gradual trend toward absolute zero over billions of years

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Honestly, cold and dark is true for a vast majority of space already.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goddammit Dru.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    mastman wrote: »
    I like black holes and stuff like this.

"Inside a black hole, the very fabric of the universe is collapsed into a point of infinite curvature -- known as a "space-time singularity," where the laws of physics no longer apply."

see, that's the thing terrifies me most about black holes.

it's not the fact that a black hole could destroy all life as we know it in one shot

it's the fact that a black hole is where math dies
    correction, it's where our current mathematical models fail

it's silly to say that physics no longer apply, of course they do
    we just don't have a way to explain what's going on in there and there's even some dispute as to whether black holes even exist as some physicists see the event horizon as being largely a copout for hiding what we don't have mathematical models for
    some physicists think that bodies that would be considered dense enough for black holes would instead form naked singularities

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Goddammit Dru.
    what?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You're a big party-pooper.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    man, fuck you

the reality is much more interesting than some stupid fantasizing about Cthulhu lurking at the bottom of the ocean or technologically advance aliens waiting to invade our universe through a black hole or whatever nonsense you guys dream up when you read between the lines on these articles

OH NO TEH SCIENTISTS DON'T KNOW IT COULD BE SPACE SQUID

yeah, they were confused by quasars when they first picked up radio signals from them but instead of aliens there was a perfectly rational, and much more interesting and illuminating explanation in the form of quasars

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sorry I forgot I was on the Internet and therefore I must be serious at all times ever.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man, if you don't think it would be at least slightly interesting to be the very last being in existence, to watch the universe finally putter out and end, then I don't know

I would find that to be a pretty momentous experience

that's all we're saying Dru

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man, if you don't think it would be at least slightly interesting to be the very last being in existence, to watch the universe finally putter out and end, then I don't know

dude
    it would take literally millions of years for anything noticeable to happen
    you could take a million year nap, wake up and look around, and you'd be all, "huh, looks pretty much the same as before"
    what the fuck would be interesting about waiting millions and millions of years for the heat death of the universe? and even if you could go to the point at which everything hits absolute zero (assuming it ever does), there would literally be nothing to fucking see

basically it would be like watching a mug of coffee cool, except that mug of coffee would take billions of years to cool all the way

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    damn kids and your crazy space fantasies.

Newtron on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I mean, yes, it would be pretty much impossible to "experience" the end of the Universe as we know it.

But it's still cool to speculate about it, even if from an unrealistic stand-point. Like say watching it happen in ultra-fast-forward.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok, fine

you convinced me, Dru

never mind

I'm gonna go shoot some more whiskey

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok, fine

you convinced me, Dru

never mind

I'm gonna go shoot some more whiskey
    now see, that's a rational idea and I fully support this endeavor

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

dude
    it would take literally millions of years for anything noticeable to happen
    you could take a million year nap, wake up and look around, and you'd be all, "huh, looks pretty much the same as before"
    what the fuck would be interesting about waiting millions and millions of years for the heat death of the universe? and even if you could go to the point at which everything hits absolute zero (assuming it ever does), there would literally be nothing to fucking see

basically it would be like watching a mug of coffee cool, except that mug of coffee would take billions of years to cool all the way

Kids today. Everything's like a movie, even when it's anything but.
    Back in my day....

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know right? I just want to see some fucking explosions.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hey my thread is not about the bloop

also I was surprised to find out, from Dr. Cox on the Sunshine commentary, that humans could actually survive in space for like 30 seconds and not immediately become on ice cube

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is dru still being a grumpy butt about the universe in here?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know right? I just want to see some fucking explosions.
    and the heat death of the universe is pretty much the worst time to look for explosions...

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I was referring to Nev's "movie" comment, not specifically to the whole Universe thing.

But ok, you're probably right.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I wish the heat death upon all of you

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just watch Dru.

You're gonna be sittin' there. Expecting some fucking boring bunch of billion years.

THEN BAM THE MOST AWESOME AND GLORIOUS THING EVER TO HAPPEN IN THE UNIVERSE HAPPENS.

And you'll be all, "Fuck. Those bastards were right!"

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Dru and I live in Seattle.
    You live in South Carolina.

Your powers are useless against us!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    also I have a permanent sweater that protects me from the cold

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sure! If they close their eyes and expel all of the air out of their lungs first.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Veretas wrote: »
    Sure! If they close their eyes and expel all of the air out of their lungs first.
    Actually, breathing out slowly works better

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    neville wrote: »

Dru and I live in Seattle.
    You live in South Carolina.

Your powers are useless against us!

Oh nooooooooooo

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Space is my favorite thing ever.

It is so monumentally fascinating.

So monumentally empty.

There is so much there that we will never see it. Humanity will not live long enough to see it all, at least not in our present state.

It is the final frontier, the final everything. We think we're seeing distances when we look through telescopes but we're actually looking back in time the further we go. Imagine being able to zoom in so close to the coast of Mexico that you could watch the Conquistadors landing, that you could gaze upon the Euphrates and watch mesopotamians carve troughs to irrigate their crops five thousand years ago.

But instead of mortal men we see innumerable stars, swirling vortexes, burgeoning gas clouds illuminated in spectrums of light beyond our sight, and over it all, an emptiness beyond emptiness.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You're drunk, Volyu

Give me your keys

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SPAAAAACE IS THE SHIT MY DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    it's pretty funny how people here can be so in love with and unenthused by science at the same time

like, science is awesome so long as it provides fuel for my fevered nerd imaginings
    exactly, real science is so much fucking cooler

for instance, I find it fucking fascinating that while we have trichromatic vision, the pigment that allows us to see different colors (rhodopsin) is produced in three variants in humans (some women have an allele that actually produces a 4th version of rhodopsin that responds to different wavelengths and thus may have more sensitive color vision though this is unconfirmed).

we refer to the three different forms of rhodopsin in humans by the wavelengths they're most sensitive to: blue, green, and red respectively
    however, there's a catch

410px-Cone-response.svg.png

ignore the dashed line, the colored lines represent how sensitive each "type" of rhodopsin is to different wavelengths of light, but you'll notice that green and so-called "red" rhodopsin are actually sensitive to very similar wavelengths
    turns out that red rhodopsin actually isn't that sensitive to red wavelengths after all! so the image processing that takes place in the retina (behind the cones and where the signals from the cones go first) can be tricked into determining that red is present when it isn't because we actually aren't that sensitive to red light
    that is fucking fascinating

but most of you fags would rather imagine space squids based on some space anomaly

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You're drunk, Volyu

Give me your keys

No they're shiny I want to hold onto them just a mite longer if you please.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    it's pretty funny how people here can be so in love with and unenthused by science at the same time

like, science is awesome so long as it provides fuel for my fevered nerd imaginings

for instance, I find it fucking fascinating that while we have trichromatic vision, the pigment that allows us to see different colors (rhodopsin) is produced in three variants in humans (some women have an allele that actually produces a 4th version of rhodopsin that responds to different wavelengths and thus may have more sensitive color vision though this is unconfirmed).

we refer to the three different forms of rhodopsin in humans by the wavelengths they're most sensitive to: blue, green, and red respectively
    however, there's a catch

ignore the dashed line, the colored lines represent how sensitive each "type" of rhodopsin is to different wavelengths of light, but you'll notice that green and so-called "red" rhodopsin are actually sensitive to very similar wavelengths
    turns out that red rhodopsin actually isn't that sensitive to red wavelengths after all! so the image processing that takes place in the retina (behind the cones and where the signals from the cones go first) can be tricked into determining that red is present when it isn't because we actually aren't that sensitive to red light

but most of you fags would rather imagine space squids based on some space anomaly

I'm pretty drunk, so this is kinda confusing, but it is also fascinating to me because I am red-green colorblind and fuck you Dad and your sex-linked traits

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

however, there's a catch

So does this mean if there is a light that emits a certain wavelength, it will look red to me when it actually isn't?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Now Dru, I am all for crazy whacko imagination science, I mean, fuck me if watching old Science Fiction films isn't some fun shit.

But that real science is also equally fascinating, but in a different way, you dig?

Honestly, for a little mind fuck here, its fun to imagine that through real science we will one day be able to understand and catalog how the brain imagines the approximation of science necessary to appear real in the realm of fiction.

Fictionally speaking, of course.

Wheels within wheels ect ect.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
This discussion has been closed.