As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Monday, May 4, 2009

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    "real" board games?

Me Too! on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    shuffleboard

Abracadaniel on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    I am fascinated with what you would consider a non "mainstream" board game that is worthy of your time.

You can't figure out the difference between something like Sorry! or Monopoly compared to Arkham Horror or Settlers of Catan?

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2009
    I enjoy a round of ZOMBIES!!! every once in a while

When I have three hours to kill.

Abracadaniel on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love board games in general

But my particular passion is for oppositional board games where you are playing against the other players (Monopoly, Risk, Settlers of Catan, etc.) especially ones where there is a certain element of manipulation and subtle deception intrinsic to the game's strategy. Like the games I just mentioned.

My current favorite is Twilight Imperium. Sort of a board game version of Masters of Orion in a way, it's a space opera strategy game based around territorial disputes, trade, war, and politics.

It pretty much features everything I love in board games, in the trappings of something I already like (space opera!)

Things like social engineering and game theory are passions of mine, I've spent a great deal of time and energy studying and understanding and utilizing them.
    So games that let me utilize these skills and knowledge are like a drug for me :P

Pony on
    edited May 2009
    My roommate has a copy of the Age of Empires board game. Every once in a while we joke about opening it up and pulling all the parts out and then putting them all back away for an afternoon of 'fun'

It's got something like 200 little plastic figs and whatnot to use in the game.

Abracadaniel on
    edited May 2009
    Pony you should try out some games that are overtly co-opertive but have "traitor" mechanics such as Shadows over Camelot, or Battlestar Galactica.

It's so great to get into a shouting match accusing each other of being a Cylon, and trying to get enough people on your side to be able to send the player to the Brig where they can't fuck with skill checks any more.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Pony you should try out some games that are overtly co-opertive but have "traitor" mechanics such as Shadows over Camelot, or Battlestar Galactica.

It's so great to get into a shouting match accusing each other of being a Cylon, and trying to get enough people on your side to be able to send the player to the Brig where they can't fuck with skill checks any more.

Oh god, the BSG board game.

I have played the BSG board game like, a dozen times.

I've lost once.

The game's pretty stacked against the human side, but every time I've been on the human team, they've won. I don't think this is a coincidence!

At this point, the dudes I play with regularly want to Brig me right at the beginning, regardless of whether or not I am a Cylon, because when I am a Cylon, I'm a total bastard who manages to do significantly more damage before I've actually revealed my Cylon status.

Pony on
    edited May 2009
    I have found it is never a good idea for someone to be President and Admiral, and if the President (or Admiral) insists that it is a good idea for them to receive the other position of power, then they are a frakking toaster.

DarkPrimus on
  • Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I played a lot of Carcassone and Catan, until they were released via XBLA.

once every awesome board game is on XBLA, my life will be complete, because it is a chore tallying up score and setting pieces up and all that jazz.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
    edited May 2009
    It's funny, the rulebook talks about the whole skill check mechanic thing as if it is the best opportunity for an undeclared Cylon to screw with the humans.

It is, but not in the way the book suggests.

The book suggests that when the humans are making an important skill check, you covertly slip in un-helpful cards to make them fail.

This, as a strategy, is retarded as intelligent players do a couple of things to make that non-functional: They carefully observe how many cards each player is throwing in, combined with the vague declared statements the rules allow ("I can only help a little", etc.), they usually keep a good count of how many of what color of cards have already presumably come out of the Chance deck ("Okay, there's probably not any Purples left in the deck") and, most importantly, they use that one Yellow card that lets you play all the Skill cards face up so you know how many you gotta play and you can tell if someone's trying to screw the pooch.

And if they're smart, they'll play that card for every critical Skill check that could result in some very terrible things.

Instead, the best strategy for an undeclared Cylon is to wait until an unimportant or trivial Skill check comes up and people are just sorta tossing in cards without worrying too much about it. That's when you throw in 2-3 cards, the majority of which are helpful to the check, but one definitely is a screw card.

Will it be enough to make the skill check fail? Probably not, and it won't really arouse suspicion generally because that one card could've come from the Chance deck.

However, if there are three screw cards in the pile, suddenly everyone loses their fucking minds because they know someone is a Cylon.

That finger-pointing and freaking out is way more valuable, as a long-term strategy, than actually causing skill checks to fail. If you can falsely accuse someone and get the humans to start Brigging each other, holding elections, stealing the Admiralty, etc. you are doing way, way more damage than just going "Oh I am a Cylon and I put someone in the Infirmery lol!"

Pony on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    30 MINUTES UNTIL I TAKE OVER

HA HA HA HA HA

THE CODE THE CODE
    FIGURE OUT THE CODE

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited May 2009
    The more players the better because then more people share the colors that you are drawing, and it is less likely that you will be fingered as the culprit.

DarkPrimus on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am fascinated with what you would consider a non "mainstream" board game that is worthy of your time.

You can't figure out the difference between something like Sorry! or Monopoly compared to Arkham Horror or Settlers of Catan?

Well considering they are both made by big mainstream companies not really!

Blake T on
    edited May 2009
    The absolute best thing you can do as an undeclared Cylon is to create suspicion of the President being a Cylon.

Because not only will that cause people to try to Brig the President (a humongous waste of cards because usually an unfair target of Brigging will have at least 1 player on their side and they will try to defend themselves from it) but it will usually be followed up with someone else trying to get the Presidency via election (another big waste of cards that is usually opposed by other players).

On top of that, the characters who are typically the President (Political leaders like Baltar, Roslin, or Zarak) are fucking useless if they aren't in charge. Zarak especially. So even if they get out of the Brig after their Presidency is taken away, they're still pretty useless.

The absolute best case scenario for an undeclared Cylon is for someone else in the game to be playing Roslin and someone else to be playing Zarak. It is remarkably easy to turn those two against each other, because regardless of whether or not either is a Cylon, they feel pressure by nature of the game mechanics to prevent each other from being in power and stealing the Presidency for themselves.

It doesn't take much to stoke that fire and to get the rest of the humans to start taking sides.

Pony on
    edited May 2009

Fantasy Flight Games and Mayfair Games = "big mainstream companies", hahaha, right.

And all those more complicated games that ARE published by Hasbro? That's only because Hasbro (aka Milton Bradley, Parker Brothers, and may more) has all but a monopoly on board games on national chain shelves right now, and has acquired the license to print those games at the same time that they bought out the smaller game companies - Avalon-Hill and most of its library, for example.

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2009

You are seriously one of the most pedantic people, Blaket.

If you can't tell what DP means I am not sure there is hope for you.

Here, let me explain if you are really having trouble:

While they are very popular, games like Arkham Horror and Settlers of Catan do not have nearly the pop culture influence or mainstream public appeal of games like Monopoly. They are not, generally speaking, "family games" that people grew up playing with their parents and stuff.

That's what DP is talking about.

Sometimes I wonder if you are deliberately obtuse just so you can argue with people about their word usage.

Pony on
    edited May 2009
    Only underground board games here

Only games made by your weird friend in high school, hand drawn on graphing paper, rules evolving after every session playing them

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goddamnit, I wish they'd either fix the archives and strips, or just absorb Penny Packer, because this shit is ridiculous.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited May 2009
    I never remember to use penny packer.

so I often enter strange phrases into google, i. e. "Penny Arcade - shitcock" when looking for the one about Gabe's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
    edited May 2009
    I'm still trying to find the one with "fuck you babies you can't swing this high"

Me Too! on
    edited May 2009
    PA needs a completely new search engine that only allows you to search by strip title, but also by dialogue and keywords.

Achewood has basically the best archive search engine of any webcomic.

Pony on
    edited May 2009
    Another reason Achewood is wonderful

Little Nephew all sellin' his nachos

Me Too! on
    edited May 2009
    exotic chili-fruits

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited May 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

DID GOD BOO JESUS AS HE WAITED TO BE BORN?

Pony on
    edited May 2009
    SON! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DarkPrimus on
    edited May 2009
    Pony wrote: »

DID GOD BOO JESUS AS HE WAITED TO BE BORN?

I was wondering what he was up to in Wales

And now we know

Bringing them amazing inventions like the "bra" and the "fork"

Also I BOO THE NACHO AS HIS FATHER!

Me Too! on
    edited May 2009
    I'm still trying to find the one with "fuck you babies you can't swing this high"
    I think the line is "Shityeah, let's see you babies swing this high!"

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
    edited May 2009
    while he might generally be a useless layabout

lil nephew is still a smuckles and has the same entrepreneurial spirit as his uncle ray

Pony on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/04/21/

Centipede Damascus on
    edited May 2009
    Balls for your cellphone

I'd be them

Me Too! on
    edited May 2009

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/04/21/

LOVE YOU

Me Too! on
    edited May 2009
    that strip has one of my favorite titles.

the title is often one of my favorite parts of strips.

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The best board game is Cranium

The best card game is Uno

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You are seriously one of the most pedantic people, Blaket.

If you can't tell what DP means I am not sure there is hope for you.

Here, let me explain if you are really having trouble:

While they are very popular, games like Arkham Horror and Settlers of Catan do not have nearly the pop culture influence or mainstream public appeal of games like Monopoly. They are not, generally speaking, "family games" that people grew up playing with their parents and stuff.

That's what DP is talking about.

Sometimes I wonder if you are deliberately obtuse just so you can argue with people about their word usage.

Hardly I was asking what is a mainstream boardgame because he didn't say what is classified as some kind of "elitist" game that normal people don't get to play.

Maybe you should consider the crazy idea I had no idea what would constitute something that isn't considered a mainstream boardgame because I don't really play them that much. That and combined with the fact that I am not hardcore enough to subscribe to indie board gaming monthly when someone goes on about being elitist with board games I am more than a bit curious to know what the hell they are on about.

Blake T on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well CLEARLY somebody has never been a board game club president.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PA needs a completely new search engine that only allows you to search by strip title, but also by dialogue and keywords.

Achewood has basically the best archive search engine of any webcomic.

http://pipefour.org/pa/

Speed Racer on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The absolute best thing you can do as an undeclared Cylon is to create suspicion of the President being a Cylon.

Because not only will that cause people to try to Brig the President (a humongous waste of cards because usually an unfair target of Brigging will have at least 1 player on their side and they will try to defend themselves from it) but it will usually be followed up with someone else trying to get the Presidency via election (another big waste of cards that is usually opposed by other players).

On top of that, the characters who are typically the President (Political leaders like Baltar, Roslin, or Zarak) are fucking useless if they aren't in charge. Zarak especially. So even if they get out of the Brig after their Presidency is taken away, they're still pretty useless.

The absolute best case scenario for an undeclared Cylon is for someone else in the game to be playing Roslin and someone else to be playing Zarak. It is remarkably easy to turn those two against each other, because regardless of whether or not either is a Cylon, they feel pressure by nature of the game mechanics to prevent each other from being in power and stealing the Presidency for themselves.

It doesn't take much to stoke that fire and to get the rest of the humans to start taking sides.

Last time I played, I ended up getting the Cylon card on the second go around. I happened to be president, which was helpful. So I managed to convince my human compatriots to allow me to send a guy to the brig because he was the Cylon.

Then I told the next person whose turn it was 'executive order me, I've got a great way to deal with all those cylon ships!' So they used executive order, and I took my two actions to send the remaining two humans to the brig. I could have revealed myself then and there, but instead I ran around the ship, wreaking havoc and screwing things up (for example, sending civilian ships into the middle of the Cylon fleet) before revealing myself on the turn after and damaging Galactica heavily.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pepsi or choke motherfucker? PEPSI OR CHOKE?!

Fuga on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be fair, the baby was being kind of a dick.

jwalk on
This discussion has been closed.