As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

KelorKelor Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the new anime thread!

First some words from our sponsor:
Hi, I'm ElJeffe! You might know me from such mod actions as cleaning up gold-farming spam and jailing the fuck out of people. Today I'm here to talk to you about your new anime thread.

This is to be your new home for the next 100 or so pages. Here, you may discuss anime and things related to anime and whatever the fuck else people who are into anime do. Of course, hentai is beyond the scope of this thread, and anyway, what the fuck is wrong with the people who dig that shit, I mean seriously?

What you will not engage in here is retarded drama and bitching and whining. If you want retarded drama, go watch Desperate Housewives or Wife-Swap or something. This is to be a happy thread full of happy commentary. If I have to lock it for the same stupidity that raped the last incarnation, the anime thread will not be coming back.

I want a good clean thread. Now lets get it on!

Spring season series currently airing.

Of those we've got a number that people are following:

Basquash!: Giant robots playing basketball in Nikes. Basketballs are not the only thing you will see bouncing.

Sengoku Basara: Adaption of the video game series, basically Dynasty Warriors Japanese style. The crazy action anime of the season.

K-On: Slice of life series about a group of high school girls starting up a band to save the music club at their school. The catch? They can't play to save themselves.

Valkyria Chronicles: Adaption of the video game.

Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood: Remake of the series, follows the manga more closely this time around. Episodes are available for streaming here each week a couple of days after it shows in Japan.

Cross Game: Slice of Life series of a boy playing baseball. Highly recommended by a lot of people here.

Eden of the East: A man finds himself in front of the white house with no clothes, a gun and a mobile phone linked to a bank account with eight and a half billion yen on it. Again, highly recommended.

OAVs:

Spice and Wolf
Lupin
Gurren Lagann Movie (1st half)

Upcoming summer season series.

Looking to get into anime? Here are some forumer recommendations to check out or just ask in the thread and let us know what sort of theme you're after.
Giant Robots: Gunbuster
Romantic comedy: Nodame Cantabile
Slice of life/school life: Sketchbook Full Colors
Martial arts: Hajime no Ippo, Bamboo Blade
Romance drama: ef - a tale of memories
"Hard" sci-fi: Planetes
Fantasy/Sword & Sorcery: Tower of Druaga
Chen wrote: »
Action / Comedy: Great Teacher Onizuka
Slice of life / Comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Romance: Honey & Clover
Slice of life / Supernatural: Natsume Yuujinchou
Action / Supernatural: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
Slicer wrote: »
Slice of Life: Honey & Clover
Comedy: Detroit Metal City
Comedy/Parody/Crazy Alternative History: Gintama
Long-running shounen fighting: Yu Yu Hakusho
Sports: Hajime no Ippo/Fighting Spirit
Mecha: 08th MS Team
redx wrote: »
Mystery/Action/Comedy: Baccano!
mystery/science fiction : Denno Coil
Real Robot: Nadesco
Magic Girl: Nanoha A's
Drama/Mystery/Psycological: Monster
Slice of Life: Ichigo Mashimaro
Horus wrote: »
What category is Skip Beat! I was thinking something of the KawaiiiSoCute~~Funnyy ~~~*!!!!=3 Category
Behemoth wrote: »
Giant robots: Gundam 08th MS Team
Comedy: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Historical fiction/action: Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
Comedy/sci-fi/historical fiction?: Oh! Edo Rocket
Horror/mystery: Mononoke
Bad Kitty wrote: »
Fantasy: Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokki
Supernatural: Mushishi
Fighting: Airmaster
Slice-of-life: Honey & Clover
Magical Girl: Shoujo Kakumei Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Epic Space Opera: Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Romance (manga): Mars
Post-apocalyptic slice-of-life (manga): Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (Cafe Alpha)
Ergandar wrote: »
Action: Black Lagoon
Romance: Ouran High School Host Club
(manga): Yankee-kun to Megane-chan
Comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Dizzen wrote: »
Comedy: Potemayo
Romantic comedy: Ouran High School Host Club
Slice of life/school life: Sketchbook Full Colors
Economics drama: Spice and Wolf
Olivaw wrote: »
Comedy: Azumanga Daioh
Action: Black Lagoon
Robot: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
BEST EVER: Baccano!
OLDER THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE WATCHED YET BUT SHOULD
Samurai Champloo.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Big O.
G Gundam.
Falx wrote: »
Bounen no Xam'd: Lost Memories (Mecha/Sci-fi/Fantasy)
Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners (Action/Horror/Drama)
Kannagi (Rom-com/Drama)
Michiko to Hatchin (Action/Drama)
Minami-ke 1st and 3rd seasons, skip the 2nd one (Comedy/Slice-of-life)
Rideback (Mecha/Action)
Sketchbook ~full Color'S~ (Slice-of-life/...erm... it's good, just watch it)
To Aru Majutsu no Index (Action/Comedy)
Toradora (Rom-com/Drama)
PikaPuff wrote: »
Little Girls in an inapropriate setting (war): Strike Witches
Little Girls kissing a more little boy (also magical action): Negima
Little Girls being adorable little girls + 1 fucking bitch (slice of life): Straberry Marshmellow
Must watch for fans of Harem Anime (Drama): School Days
Magical Gril Drama (Not Anime): Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
I love fapping to h-games that I skip the story, but the story was pretty good and I want to know what happened: Clannad+Clannad After Story, Kannon, or Air
OtakuD00D wrote: »
Giant Robots with charm, space bugs, a perfect ending and great animation: Gunbuster
Giant Robots with music and love triangles and missile spam: Macross
FABULOUS with giant robots: Code Geass
Giant Robots with PIERCE THE HEAVENS: Gurren Lagann
I AM GUNDAM: Gundam 00.
Slice of life (The only entry I'll ever put on), charming cast of characters: Azumanga Daioh
Sheer hilarity and randomness: Pani Poni Dash!
Code Geass <--- I don't know how to categorize this. Mechs doesn't do it justice, but neither does drama.
Mech: GaoGaiGar
Comedy: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
You Will Cry Like a Little Girl: Air
CyborgZeta wrote: »
Mech/Romance - Eureka Seven
Comedy - Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Action - Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo
Super Robot - GaoGaiGar
Mystery/Horror - Ghost Hunt
Additional - Overman King Gainer
I would like to add Akagi and Kaiji to the list of recommendations.
Kelor wrote: »
Best sport series: Hajime no Ippo
Slice of Life: Honey & Clover
Comedy: Detroit Metal City
Giant Robots: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The odd one out pick? Let's Bible.
Sex starved Croatian fisherboy punches the female reincarnation of Jesus Christ unconscious so he can lose his virginity, ends up fighting the banjo wielding son of Lucifer, Santo.
Frosteey wrote: »
For lack of anyone else recommending it-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Way better than Air-Kanon: Kyon in the snow (Less chin version)
Shipping delight without a proper ending-School Rumble
Board games with pretty good music-Hikaru no Go
Polearms!-Moribito
Kuwabara playing basketball-Slam Dunk

A few trailers and OPs/EDs from the current season.

Basquash! Trailer

Eden of the East

K-On Ending

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKKyIvW1hEA

Full Metal Alchemist Trailer

Kelor on

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I support this thread.

Also, episode 02 of the Higurashi Rei OVA is out.

Falx on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hooray! Here's to another dramaless, awesome, constructive thread!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How is the new FMA? And how far along is it right now?

I quite liked the old one, but found the resolution to be quite weak (including what came in the film) and I know this is supposed to address those issues due to output speed differences between the manga and original series. So, opinions thus far?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    How is the new FMA? And how far along is it right now?

I quite liked the old one, but found the resolution to be quite weak (including what came in the film) and I know this is supposed to address those issues due to output speed differences between the manga and original series. So, opinions thus far?

Very good. They're sorta going fast-forward at the moment, though - mainly because we haven't hit the divergence point yet in the storyline.

But don't take my word for it, go watch the eps at Funi's website.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited May 2009
    It's moving at a much faster pace than the original, IMO this is better, but I've seen some differing opinions. The animation is brilliant and quite a few scenes I've seen so far are basically frame-by-frame from the manga. They've just introduced Scar.

Falx on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Has anyone heard of this OVA Denpatekina Kanojo (電波的な彼女)? Doesn't seem to have gotten any attention (ie subs), but it sounds interesting.

setrajonas on
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cross Game 5 was as captivating as usual.

I enjoy that the focus is more on the cast and their shared experience through Wakaba than the typical shounen baseball business.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Queen's Blade is tha shizzle bros.
    I don't actually watch it.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited May 2009
    setrajonas wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of this OVA Denpatekina Kanojo (電波的な彼女)? Doesn't seem to have gotten any attention (ie subs), but it sounds interesting.

It's been out and subbed for a while dude. Didn't like it, but I'm apparently in a minority.

Falx on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Basquash 5 was the best one so far.

I was thinking about the moon in it though and just how aggravating that would be. They basically broadcast giant images and you're stuck listening to the music in the middle of the night.

Now imagine if that was that was real when Armageddon came out and every radio station was running that fucking horrible Aerosmith song all night. Or the Titanic one.

Christ that would get old quick.

Kelor on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OP needs
    Alicia.jpg
    since it's the only reason to watch the show, and it is my favorite picture. I think I'm through three and a half episodes, and they actually might be going a bit overboard in making sure they meet the funny face quota for Alicia, but it's really probably for the best.

I'm slowly catching up on Basquash, but it is difficult, as this may be the dumbest thing I have ever willingly subjected myself to.

Frosteey on
    edited May 2009
    Frosteey wrote: »
    I'm slowly catching up on Basquash, but it is difficult, as this may be the dumbest thing I have ever willingly subjected myself to.

Dumbest most best thing.

Kelor on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sooo much to catch up on.

Phantom, Valkyria Chronicles, Eden Of The East, Basqush, new DVDs for Claymore, Baccano, Lucky Star. And I still have to finish Allison & Lillia, Shikabane Hima: Aka, Mouryou no Hako, and Library Wars from last season. And there's always the interminable keeping up with Once Piece. AND I have Utawarjfdklsfhfsdjklsdfjklfuck queued up on Netflix streaming.

Here's a lesson kids: You can either get a job or watch anime. Not both.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goddamnit I hadn't realised Shangri-La had already started, now I have to catch up on that.

Also does anyone know why Tokyotosho is down?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    sup thread. i don't really post anymore. I missed the past 30 pages of the last thread. :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So we need more people talking about how ridiculously awesome One Piece was this week.

It's something we're going to be telling our grandsons about.

Godfather on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    So we need more people talking about how ridiculously awesome One Piece was this week.

It's something we're going to be telling our grandsons about.

Shit haven't watched it yet I'm out son.

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited May 2009
    I'm talking about the manga, not the tv show.

Not that there's that big of a difference, but just lettin' ya know.

Godfather on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    also I FINALLY got alita 11 today. checked every week for 5 weeks after someone said they got it. probably in an ill mannered way :| anyhoo, finalllyyyyy
    wth libido monster

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited May 2009

Phantom, Valkyria Chronicles, Eden Of The East, Basqush, new DVDs for Claymore, Baccano, Lucky Star. And I still have to finish Allison & Lillia, Shikabane Hima: Aka, Mouryou no Hako, and Library Wars from last season. And there's always the interminable keeping up with Once Piece. AND I have Utawarjfdklsfhfsdjklsdfjklfuck queued up on Netflix streaming.

I enjoyed Library Wars. It was different enough from the usual fare that it felt fresh.

Kelor on
    edited May 2009
    Kelor wrote: »

I enjoyed Library Wars. It was different enough from the usual fare that it felt fresh.

I picked it up for one reason and one reason only.

Library. Wars.

I mean, come on. Librarians with guns. Books and armaments. It has to be good. And it is a rather good mix of silly rom/com and military action/drama.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Here's a lesson kids: You can either get a job or watch anime. Not both.

I do both. vacation/sick days can be anime catch up days.
    Kelor wrote:
    Frosteey wrote:

Dumbest most best thing.

yea, episode 5 is where more of the basketball elements start to show up. Until then it's nothing but tits and yelling.

3 on 3 with robots is fun.

tallgeeze on
  • bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Goddamnit I hadn't realised Shangri-La had already started, now I have to catch up on that.

Domain died. It's .info now, not .com.

Anyway, I think this has been a great season so far. I've been following Cross Game, Shin Mazinger and Sengoku Basara and they're all pretty much astounding. Well, Basara slipped up a little when it decided to NOT be ludicrously awesome for about 2 episodes, but then I saw that they were going to introduce some kind of Gundam samurai in the next episode preview and I knew I had to keep watching.

bisondollars on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I feel like K-On! 5 is my reward for having watched the previous episodes. It was actually genuinely funny and appealing instead of just a face-full of moe.

Not that there's anything wrong with a face-full of moe.

Eden of the East remains promising, but I can't seem to keep up with it. This is probably because I am usually eating while I watch it, and I fail at subtitles when eating. I'll probably re-watch the series thus far soon.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2009
    One Piece:
    Okay, Enel needs to get his ass down from the moon and start tearing up shit with pimp coat Crocodile, Jimbei, Luffy and the rest of them, only because it is Enel and has the most badass devil fruit power.

Totally not going to happen, but a man can dream....

Godfather on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Anyway, I think this has been a great season so far. I've been following Cross Game, Shin Mazinger and Sengoku Basara and they're all pretty much astounding. Well, Basara slipped up a little when it decided to NOT be ludicrously awesome for about 2 episodes, but then I saw that they were going to introduce some kind of Gundam samurai in the next episode preview and I knew I had to keep watching.

His name is Honda!

He has the fan nickname of Mobile Suit Hondam, apparently.

Slicer on
  • bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

His name is Honda!

He has the fan nickname of Mobile Suit Hondam, apparently.

I can see where they're coming from

bisondollars on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Shame on you.

Raynaga on
    edited May 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »

Shame on you.
    The first bit or second bit? :P

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One Piece:
    Okay, Enel needs to get his ass down from the moon and start tearing up shit with pimp coat Crocodile, Jimbei, Luffy and the rest of them, only because it is Enel and has the most badass devil fruit power.

Also this is the best ending to any chapter ever.
    18-19.jpg

Jakorian on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I feel like K-On! 5 is my reward for having watched the previous episodes. It was actually genuinely funny and appealing instead of just a face-full of moe.

Just watched this one last night, funny as hell. The teacher was hilarious. The bit when they reveal the result of Yui's "special training" and they're both making :P:P faces, oh man. In fact, the faces in general are a riot in this show.

juice for jesus on
    edited May 2009

Just watched this one last night, funny as hell. The teacher was hilarious. The bit when they reveal the result of Yui's "special training" and they're both making :P:P faces, oh man. In fact, the faces in general are a riot in this show.

We are on the same page, bro. The faces were so great.

I know it's a show about a band that can't really play, but I'd really like to hear more music-playing in this show about music-players.

Silas Brown on
    edited May 2009
    moe moe

kyun~

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited May 2009
    moe moe

kyun~

i did like that, but i liked it with a very stern face.
    <3<3<3

Silas Brown on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I randomly started watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I though it was going to be some stupid girl drama about high school.

Last night I finished it up and it was great. I didn't expect it to be one of my favorite series but there it sits now. I knew nothing about it when I started watching it other than that dance people do, who knew the series was actually something totally unexpected and unlike what I thought it was.

Now I want more. I hope they actually come out with a second seasons like the rumors are saying possibly might happen this year.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited May 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    So I randomly started watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I though it was going to be some stupid girl drama about high school.

Last night I finished it up and it was great. I didn't expect it to be one of my favorite series but there it sits now. I knew nothing about it when I started watching it other than that dance people do, who knew the series was actually something totally unexpected and unlike what I thought it was.

Now I want more. I hope they actually come out with a second seasons like the rumors are saying possibly might happen this year.

Yeah, the second season is coming. Right after they tease and then disappoint us a few more times. Look, we're airing more Haruhi! Except it's just the first season again! Psych!

YamiNoSenshi on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One Piece Season 1 Fourth Voyage arrived in the mail yesterday. Yay!

LockedOnTarget on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jakorian wrote: »
    One Piece:

Also this is the best ending to any chapter ever.
    18-19.jpg

"They're wearing some kind of very progressive outfits!" That is very amusing.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I never understand what is going on in these one piece scans people post. The are all so busy.

deadonthestreet on
    edited May 2009
    Jeez, I clearly need to be reading One Piece. That is awesome.

Silas Brown on