As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] Legends Lost (Game Thread)

• psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    well then... lol

psolms on
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There isn't much else to the room - it's more of a 25-by-25 opening with a pedestal in it and a desk to one side. On the other side you see a table with some lab equipment. The small desk has a large tome on it. Opposite the hallway you used to enter the small room, you see another hall that terminates shortly in a heavy wooden door.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009

Amanae enters the room and begins searching the pedestal, looking for anything of interest (not that shes going to find anything). She walks over to Braelani and compliments her kill.

"Well done. A single silent strike to end your foe. Beautiful in its simplicity."

psolms on
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alaen studies the room, trying to find something that might hint at what has been occuring here.

Arasaki on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    psolms wrote: »
    Amanae enters the room and begins searching the pedestal, looking for anything of interest (not that shes going to find anything). She walks over to Braelani and compliments her kill.

"Well done. A single silent strike to end your foe. Beautiful in its simplicity."

Braelani stares at the shattered jar a moment before looking up at Amanae. "Thank you!"

She passes a casual glance over the lab equipment while the rest of the party files in.
    Perception: 18 Do I have to do everything? GOSH! ;-)
    1d20+1=18

edit: I know IC is saving up a major karma kick-in-the-ass for my arrogance...

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pip gives a long whistle as he walks over and nudges the brain with his foot.
    “Very nice, my lady. This will make for a thrilling entry in the epic.”

Dajian on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Niltsiar is flabbergasted at how easy that was compared to the last brain.
    Arcana Check (1d20+13=15) This is why I'm letting everyone else handle rolls......

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2009
    Braelani sees that the alchemical and ritual equipment looks to be in suspiciously good condition, considering how old this place and this brain must be. Pip looks over the array of tube and tinctures as well, finding 50 GP of arcane and 50 GP of religious components.

Niltsiar is drawn to the book on the desk, sensing not only that there is a wealth of magical knowledge within, but also that it plays some part in this adventure. You flip through the pages and notice many passages in deep speech, but as you start to read, your mind is assaulted again, flashes of the hooded men preparing those ornate jars like the one shattered behind you, a vision that only fades when you turn your eyes away from the book.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    Alaen steps forward, concerned as the wizard appears to stumble slightly.

"Niltsiar, is there a problem?"

Arasaki on
    edited May 2009
    "This is no ordinary book. It has magical bindings that can assault anyone who tries to read the book without dispelling them. I feel like it could reveal much to us about our situation, if only I could read it." Niltsiar says as he studies the exterior of the book, hesitant to open it again. "I'm sure we can find a way, or someone, to read this." Niltsiar gives the book another once over before stuffing it into his pack.
    Are there any parts of the book that Niltsiar sees that are not in deep speech or seem out of place?
    Perception Check (1d20+5=6) I'm going to guess that no, Niltsiar can't see anything because he is BLIND. Oi..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2009
    Okay, well, the DC to look at the cover of a book that's in your hand is 0, so you got lucky this time.
    All you see on it is on the cover there is a circle of the chain-link-runes that seems to adorn everything in this place.
    Can I get an Arcana check from anyone helping him investigate the book?

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    Pip walks over to take a look at the book Niltsiar had found.

Dajian on
    edited May 2009
    Is there a lot of dust or anything like that on the floor. Alaen needs to get his nature on.

Arasaki on
    edited May 2009
    Easily disarming the book's trap, Pip is able to permit perusal of its pages once more.

EDIT: There is very little dust here, sorry. I'll let you know when nature is relevant again. I know these areas are a bit arcana/religion heavy.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    "Shall we continue down that hall? Or do you think there might be a secret passage somewhere around here?" Braelani asks no one in particular, as she glances around at the walls.
    Perception: 3
    1d20+1=3

Called it.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    "Figure out the trick, Pip?" Niltsiar asks as Pip gives the book a look through. "Do you understand any of the deep speech?"

Niltsiar looks towards Braelani, "I do not see any secret passages, though I am also not accustomed to look for them. Continuing down the hall sounds fine to me."
    Unless Pip finds anything in the book or suggests I read throught it again if he doesn't understand deep speech, I am ready to move on.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2009
    "I am unused to such closed in spaces. There is nothing I can see that might indicate such a passage."
    Guessing here, as no invisible castle!

Arasaki on
    edited May 2009
    Arasaki wrote: »
    "I am unused to such closed in spaces. There is nothing I can see that might indicate such a passage."
    Guessing here, as no invisible castle!

I just rolled for Araski, and he criticalled. but there's no passage. In fact, if you'll recall, you guys are already in a hidden passage.
    I'll give Pip a chance to read (even though he doesn't understand deep speech) or return the book and then we'll move on.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    Pip will hand the book back to Niltsiar.

"I think I figured out the trick to get past the protection, but you would probably be a better study than me."

Dajian on
    edited May 2009
    Niltsiar sets the book back down on the table after Pip cleared the magical trap set on it and begins to read through the first few pages, hoping to get an understanding of what may be contained within and if there is anything that may help them on their quest.
    Is there an appropriate roll for this? Insight? Perception? Arcana? (please be arcana.. :D)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2009
    Passive Arcana as you read:
    you see that this book is enchanted beyond the curse that had been laid upon it, but you can make out a couple rituals. In glancing through, you see a few pages devoted to Last Sight Vision and Silence, though you notice suspiciously blank pages scattered amongst the rest, hinting at there being further secrets for the book to reveal.

You also find large portions of the tome devoted to the inner credos of a group devoted to The Chained One.

Passive Insight:
    stopping to read this voluminous work in the middle of a hidden passage home to a powerful source of Evil might not be a wise use of your time.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    that's what I figured.. :)

Looking up from the book, "Well, this will make for some good reading later, but much too much for our current situation. Let's move on and I will study this later when we are in a less perilous situation.". Niltsiar tucks the book into his pack and is ready to move on.

"It seems as though there is a cult dedicated to this 'Chained One'. They are probably the ones who are activating these traps and evils we are coming against."

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2009
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you're all ready to see what's behind the door.

The door sticks, obviously unopened for a long time. As Braelani shoulders it open, it creaks and swings open at an agonizingly slow pace. In the center of the new room, you all see an orb like the one in Braelani's bag set atop a pedestal much like the one in the previous room. This orb has more than your orb does (last you checked) of the strange darker-than-black fluid - about 2/3 full.

Amanae:
    For what it's worth, this is the first one of these you've seen.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    "This almost seems too easy..."

Braelani peers around suspiciously.
    Perception: 17
    Insight: 6
    1d20+1=17, 1d20+1=6

For what they're worth. Anything else in the room?

What do you guys think?

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Unlike the previous room, which was well lit by torches, this room is only lit by the glowing runes on the pillar, and whatever you bring inside.

You see nothing in the room besides the orb and the pillar on which it rests. You do recognize a metal line running down the front of this pillar, much like the one you severed a few minutes ago.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    "Niltsiar...what do you make of this room?"
    Does the metal cord disappear into the wall in the direction we came from? The floor? Another direction?

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    "Niltsiar...what do you make of this room?"
    Does the metal cord disappear into the wall in the direction we came from? The floor? Another direction?

Floor (so did the previous one). I'll still be here to answer questions most of today, but I'm gonna leave the discussion and actions up to you all for a bit, since Amanae hasn't seen an orb before and this one has more of the dark, gravity-defying nastiness.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    Okay team - so we haven't found the strange guys performing the ritual that a few of us saw in vision.

Do we think they are in this castle, or were we far-seeing some other location?

Niltsiar / Pip - do you guys see any magical traps/wards in here?

Anyone with a decent Perception score want to check for secret passages, compartments, more illusory walls?

If all else fails, do we grab the orb, stick it in the box and head back to the stairs we passed earlier?

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009

Niltsiar casts light onto his wand to provide a little more illumination. "Interesting. The orb is not full as it was in the vision. It seems to be missing part of whatever that is filling it." Thinking out loud, "I wonder...."

Turning toward Braelani, then looking at Amanae, Niltsiar says, "Amanae, we have seen an orb like this before. I hope that you understand the reasoning behind keeping this secret. Only, it was only 1/3 full of the darkness that seems to fill it. It seems as though there are three of these, and the last is likely full. Unless.." Looking back towards Braelani, "I think we can no longer keep what we carry a secret. It is about time Amanae knows what has burdened us to search out this object. I am curious if the first orb still contains only 1/3 of the liquid, or if it has matched or filled as this orb has now that it is in close proximity."

Niltsiar motions for Braelani to retrieve the box containing the orb, to see if his assumptions are correct. "I fear that we have done more harm than good today, if I am correct."
    I'm thinking that the orbs fill as they get within close proximity of each other, and once they are full, whatever they were binding, will be set free. That is why they were set far away from each other, and protected by guardians that we have now destroyed. But perhaps I am wrong. Niltsiar doesn't want to voice this entire theory out loud yet until his suspicions are confirmed. He is hoping that he is wrong.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2009
    With a worried look on her face, Braelani returns to the "laboratory" room, and sets her pack on the desk.

With Niltsiar looking over her shoulder, she retrieves the runed rosewood box and places it on the desk next to her bag, then pauses.

"It may be a futile precaution at this point, but can someone close the door?"

Once the door to the "orb" room has been closed, she carefully pries open the lid of the box and sees...

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    I'll let you guys RP it, but here's the status of things:

The orb in Braelani's pack is still only 1/3 full.

When the orb's box is opened: First, you all see another flash, but this time you're taken to a scene you don't full comprehend. You're in a place where there is not ground, no sky; no up or down. There is a general light, enough that you can see, but otherwise the world is just a deep shade of blue. In your ears, a shrill yell, as if echoing up from a deep well, is all that distrubs the scene. If you look down, you won't see your body. You are simply viewing this, you aren't partaking. You see a series of figures in white hooded robes kneeling. 5 of them are carrying orbs like the ones you know, but in each one they possess only a small amount of the liquid, just enough that you can see the light distort around it. You hear a voice in an old dialect of Common. "Keep them secret. Keep them safe. So long as these seals hold, the Bound One remains held." The dull yell persists, and as it grows more intense, more angry, it is getting louder. Deeper tones join it until the cacophony collapses along with the vision.

When the vision fades, you see that the liquid in your orb is no longer suspiciously still - it is slowly sloshing, as if it were lapping the side of the sphere, in the direction of the other seal.

Also, as before, anyone who physically touches the orb feels as though their entire being, mind, and soul, are being dragged through a thick tar that coats them and does not easily wash out.

Niltsiar:
    Arcana: These orbs are definitely connected, and proximity definitely effects their behavior in some way, but you sense no weakening of the ridiculously strong spheres nor the wardings interlaced with them.

You can also feel that the cords on the pillars most definitely interconnected the two ends - cutting the brain off from its power source is what caused it to go into the rage that killed itself.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    I should add that if people want to throw out checks for the weird(er than usual) vision, there may have been additional information there. (perception, religion, insight, nature)

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    "Whoa," Braelani rocks back on her feet as the vision fades. "Let's not do that again shall we?"

She closes the box and turns to her companions.

"Alright friends. Anyone against taking that orb with us? We know they are too dangerous to be left in the open, and the fewer people that know about them, the better...including King Douglas."

At this she casts a glance at Amanae to judge her reaction.

"This is bigger than all of us, bigger than anyone..."

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Insight Check (1d20+5=25) for the vision. (5 orbs with little in them compared to the 2 we have now with much more contained?)
    Wow, a good roll. :)

"I would not keep them too close to each other. Probably for the best if they are carried by two." Niltsiar looks around the room to see if there is anything to contain the orb similar to the box that the first was found in.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited May 2009

Amanae nods slowly as Niltsiar explains the nature of the orbs. "And yet, you have still told me little." Looking back at Braelani, she replies, reassuringly, "I am not King Douglas' mindless lackey. He is a good man, but a tad short sighted. Like most humans. If this... orb... is of some kind of great importance, which you all seem to be reacting like it is, he does not need to hear of it, and he wont from my lips."

psolms on
    edited May 2009
    Niltsiar:
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Insight Check (1d20+5=25) for the vision. (5 orbs with little in them compared to the 2 we have now with much more contained?)
    Wow, a good roll. :)

"I would not keep them too close to each other. Probably for the best if they are carried by two." Niltsiar looks around the room to see if there is anything to contain the orb similar to the box that the first was found in.

That is correct; you have 2, In your vision there were five, and both of the two you possess (or are about to) have considerably more stuff in them than the vision showed.

Insight: You think the voice you heard was the Chained One.

It also seems that you just witnessed the moments shortly after its binding (this is likely an important event in the formative age of the world, some cosmology shit).

Amanae:
    Each hooded figure's robe bore a symbol for a different diety.

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    How far back to the otehr room where the other adventurers stuff was (or can we say I grabbed one of their backpacks)?

Dajian on
    edited May 2009
    Dajian wrote: »
    How far back to the otehr room where the other adventurers stuff was (or can we say I grabbed one of their backpacks)?

I've just been assuming you all possess backpacks, even if you don't have the SAK on your sheet. Any way you want to play it is fine (you going and getting one, saying you already grabbed one, or already having one).

Themindtaker on
    edited May 2009
    While the others seem intent on taking the cautious route Pip’s curiosity gets the better of him once again. Pulling out a spare backpack Pip walks up to the pedestal and careful not to touch the orb scoops it up into the back pack.

“Well that wasn’t so bad.”
    Something bad is going to happen now isn’t it :D

Dajian on
    edited May 2009
    "That will work, I suppose." Niltsiar says as he sees Pip scoop the orb into a pack.

Turning to Amanae, "It may seem that we are withholding secrets from you, and let me assure you that we once were. However, the secret we held was that we already had an orb. Beyond that, we have seen the brain in a jar before, and it was not a pleasant experience. We do not know entirely what is going on. Only that whatever was done during that ritual to imprison whoever, whatever, this is, must stay there. It seems things are already going wrong as there were 5 orbs with little in them compared to the two we have now with much contained." Niltsiar ponders for a moment, "Perhaps we will learn more once I have time to study the book we have found, though it too many not tell us much as it still contains many secrets that it does not wish to hand over so easily."

Turning towards the exit, "Shall we explore further down the other passage?"

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png