As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Monday, May 4, 2009

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    To be fair, the baby was being kind of a dick.

Like you know anything about hitting babies.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    The best board game is Cranium

The best card game is Uno

Uno is a good game to play during that period when one more game of Skip-bo will end multiple friendships.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2009
    Our new fixed search engine is coming soon....

also, in case those that missed it:

http://twitpic.com/4m5zg

http://twitpic.com/4m61b

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    whooo

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh my god Khoo
    that's bloody fantastic

Antimatter on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My school has that blocked, what is it, Khoo?

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cardboard Tube Samurai Action Figure!

Antimatter on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ohhh okay.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Khoo, if I ever met you I would be too timid to do so but nonetheless I wish to fist-bump you for all that you do.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    man I love board games

betrayal at house on the hill and apples to apples in particular

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    man I love board games

Apples to Apples is more of a card game

But yes, it's pretty amazing

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

wow

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but I would probably buy that and I haven't bought anything else from the PA store (I generally avoid geekwear)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How would you wear that?
    Like around your neck?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    man I love board games

I want to play Betrayal at House on the Hill but it's out of print so it goes for like $100+ on the after-market. Same with several other of the Avalon-Hill products I want.

REPRINT THEM AGAIN HASBRO.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Khoo, if I ever met you I would be too timid to do so but nonetheless I wish to fist-bump you for all that you do.

Let's just hug instead

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cause huggin's gross

Javen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Let's just hug instead

This relationship is moving so fast!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Damn. I'll buy that sooo hard.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cmooooon Frank figure.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Frank w/ Gabe's Pants Accessory set.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    PA needs a completely new search engine that only allows you to search by strip title, but also by dialogue and keywords.

Achewood has basically the best archive search engine of any webcomic.

http://pipefour.org/pa/

If that's got all of them, and parses through the text of each comic to search, that's pretty damn shiny.

Unless of course, I want one with no text.

But I just searched for Kirby and found the one where Gabe is riding the rainbow. Textless comic.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    It's a homemade mechanic for progressing gameplay. The game moves slowly, too slowly for some, so they adjust the rules so the game can keep moving.

But it doesn't do that. It does the exact opposite of that, actually. The game ends when one player dominates the board. Giving money out at random means that the money will likely go to a player other than the winner (assuming more than two active players), which just extends the game. Similar to giving a little handful of minerals to a losing player in Starcraft. It just lets him hold out slightly longer, but doesn't change the momentum of the game. And if it does change the momentum of the game, then you've fucked the balance.
    If I have more fun playing with my house rules than with the standard rules than I would say that I know better than the game maker yes.

Yeah because it's totally impossible that you simply don't get the game, right? There's no way that that's the case. It has to be the game's fault.

What you also ignore is the possibility that you're just going to find a local maximum. So yeah, the game's more fun now, but maybe long-term, the game is less fun because you've fucked with a really complex formula that you do not fully understand, and what you did may ruin the game later on. It could be later on in the same match, or it could be later on as you fail to see the merits of the original game, because you're playing a version with fucked-up rules.

I've seen people do this in Warcraft. They made mods with no gold, lumber, or food limits. Because, hey, everyone hates being out of gold, lumber, or food, right? So let's turn all the caps off! Well, that's retarded because even though the game starts faster, the rest of the game's finely-tuned balance is completely fucked as a result, and only absolute beginner players wouldn't realize this.

Defender on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I hate to admit this, but I spent like 20 minutes at NYCC lingering at the PA booth, trying to talk to Khoo. I don't even think I'm in love with him as much as you people are, but his reputation precedes him. I ended up just going past Fehlauer and Khoo and talking to Gabe and Tycho instead.

khoo...

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

wow

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but I would probably buy that and I haven't bought anything else from the PA store (I generally avoid geekwear)

I wonder how it feels to have an object like that exist. Some piece of art that is cool and creative and is completely your own creation. I don't think I'll ever have that feeling, since I don't make solo projects.

I'll have to settle for the feeling of creation when you have some stupid baby or something, which is dumb and lame plus they poop on everything and then when they're 15 they think they fucking know shit.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    PA needs a completely new search engine that only allows you to search by strip title, but also by dialogue and keywords.

Achewood has basically the best archive search engine of any webcomic.

http://pipefour.org/pa/

If that's got all of them, and parses through the text of each comic to search, that's pretty damn shiny.

Unless of course, I want one with no text.

But I just searched for Kirby and found the one where Gabe is riding the rainbow. Textless comic.

It includes keywords, too

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    It's a homemade mechanic for progressing gameplay. The game moves slowly, too slowly for some, so they adjust the rules so the game can keep moving.

But it doesn't do that. It does the exact opposite of that, actually. The game ends when one player dominates the board. Giving money out at random means that the money will likely go to a player other than the winner (assuming more than two active players), which just extends the game. Similar to giving a little handful of minerals to a losing player in Starcraft. It just lets him hold out slightly longer, but doesn't change the momentum of the game. And if it does change the momentum of the game, then you've fucked the balance.
    If I have more fun playing with my house rules than with the standard rules than I would say that I know better than the game maker yes.

Yeah because it's totally impossible that you simply don't get the game, right? There's no way that that's the case. It has to be the game's fault.

What you also ignore is the possibility that you're just going to find a local maximum. So yeah, the game's more fun now, but maybe long-term, the game is less fun because you've fucked with a really complex formula that you do not fully understand, and what you did may ruin the game later on. It could be later on in the same match, or it could be later on as you fail to see the merits of the original game, because you're playing a version with fucked-up rules.

I've seen people do this in Warcraft. They made mods with no gold, lumber, or food limits. Because, hey, everyone hates being out of gold, lumber, or food, right? So let's turn all the caps off! Well, that's retarded because even though the game starts faster, the rest of the game's finely-tuned balance is completely fucked as a result, and only absolute beginner players wouldn't realize this.

Fortunately in my experience this isn't the case with awarding money for hitting Free Parking. If ever a game gets completely fucked up because of that then me and my friends would probably stop using that house rule. As long as it continues to consistently provide a superior experience though I'm gonna stick with it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender wrote: »

Shut up it's fucking Monopoly it's a goddamn board game shut up

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I hate to admit this, but I spent like 20 minutes at NYCC lingering at the PA booth, trying to talk to Khoo. I don't even think I'm in love with him as much as you people are, but his reputation precedes him. I ended up just going past Fehlauer and Khoo and talking to Gabe and Tycho instead.

khoo...

JUST SAY HI NEXT TIME IT WILL BE COOL

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

khoo...

JUST SAY HI NEXT TIME IT WILL BE KHOOL

hee hee hee!

Brolo on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I thought that there were issues with selling stuff with the pac-man symbol on them.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Wiggin obviously we don't understand fun we obviously as someone else mentioned have not been a monopoly club president so we can't relate.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Wiggin obviously we don't understand fun we obviously as someone else mentioned have not been a monopoly club president so we can't relate.

As a Monopoly club president, I have had to deal with problems playing the Monopolys

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    haha - campion, that's actually a good catch. What's pictured is a prototype, and that symbol is a mistake. The CTS symbol with the elongated circle and the dot actually we have legal rights to, so the final one will be corrected.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    sup khoo

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like it but it's not my favorite CTS outfit

Needs more samurai pants

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Honestly Defender's opinions aren't usually too bad

it's the WELL YOU DON'T MAKE GAMES YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES THEM BETTER

Well fuck I know what makes ME think it's better

I know what I, Donald K Wiggin, enjoy doing

And I could not give less of a shit about the other guy if I tried

Me Too! on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man what, they don't own the shape of a circle with a pie-wedge taken out of it.

It could just be a... pie with a piece missing.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Honestly Defender's opinions aren't usually too bad

it's the WELL YOU DON'T MAKE GAMES YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES THEM BETTER

Well fuck I know what makes ME think it's better

I know what I, Donald K Wiggin, enjoy doing

And I could not give less of a shit about the other guy if I tried

Because wiggin you aren't having defender fun (tm).

Blake T on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    haha - campion, that's actually a good catch. What's pictured is a prototype, and that symbol is a mistake. The CTS symbol with the elongated circle and the dot actually we have legal rights to, so the final one will be corrected.
    ah, I thought maybe what we saw was ok simply because the symbol is actually black but pac-man is yellow

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Like, objectively, are there things that should be done to make a game work, to make it "fun", meaning "appealing to more people"?

Sure

Subjectively? Everyone likes something else. Some people play Fallout 3 Unarmed/Melee and take Sneak and Science and shit. I play it like a redneck: guns, guns, and more guns

So what Joe finds fun in this game, or how he enjoys playing it, and my opinion on the same subject are not necessarily going to be the same

And I could not care one bit less

Me Too! on
This discussion has been closed.