As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dwarf Fortress: Knowing no mercy, Toady One destroyed our lives!

1545556575860»

• hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    Do you even need cooked meals? As long as I had a decent number of different crops going I never had problems.

They store more compactly, sell for more dwarfbucks, and give happy thoughts.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You don't need them but they condense food items into much less space.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited May 2009
    Weird... I just embarked on a new map and the game announces there is a cave, "Worldscarred". Looking in the tunnels I see kobolds everywhere. Looking at the unit list, I count nearly 30 kobolds, several of them elites or champion warriors. !@#$%;^&*

Oh, wait, they're all friendly??? Even the kobold thief is friendly? WHAT KIND OF WORLD DOES THIS TO A DWARF?!?!?!

(Okay, fine, so at least I won't be massacred within 30 seconds.)

EDIT: Their swordmaster is named Slofobojreebis. For some reason, that is an awesome name.

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ive found its generally best to set easy meals until your cook has leveled up to awesome, then switch to lavish. Its faster.

Fendall on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dwarven cooks are the best!*

*Only when there is a max influx of kittens.

Xtarath on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you want magma and flux your best bet is to turn up volcanic variance a lot and play with the mesh for volcanism so that there are many areas with high volcanism and also a good number with very low volcanism, but not much in between.

Getting sand is something of a crapshoot. There's not really any way to influence soil types short of tweaking the parameters to get deserts, and you'd best be prepared to deal with aquifer layers as well; they seem to be common in areas with sand.

How do the mesh settings work? Do we know or is it just guessing at this point? The wiki doesn't really cover it.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't suppose there's another easier way of making tunnel shafts straight down other than making channels over channels is there?

TVs_Frank on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's another easier way of making tunnel shafts straight down other than making channels over channels is there?

Make stairs all the way down, then remove the stairs?

jothki on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    designate up ramps instead of channeling, then remove the ramps. works very well especially if you have an exit at the bottom

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aioua wrote: »
    If you want magma and flux your best bet is to turn up volcanic variance a lot and play with the mesh for volcanism so that there are many areas with high volcanism and also a good number with very low volcanism, but not much in between.

Getting sand is something of a crapshoot. There's not really any way to influence soil types short of tweaking the parameters to get deserts, and you'd best be prepared to deal with aquifer layers as well; they seem to be common in areas with sand.

How do the mesh settings work? Do we know or is it just guessing at this point? The wiki doesn't really cover it.

Let's say you're adjusting the line that says [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]. The first 1 is the mesh size, I haven't touched it and don't really know how it works. The other five determine the distribution of areas with 0-20%, 20-40%, 40-60%, 60-80%, 80-100% percentile volcanism respectively. So if you change it to [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:8] then areas with 80-100% volcanism will be eight times as common as any one of the others. The numbers don't have to add up to anything, only the ratios matter; 10:10:10:10:80 would give the same results.

I recommend the World tokens page at the DF wiki, it's got good info.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it possible to trade statues or other furniture, I've always wondered if I could.

Maximus on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maximus wrote: »
    Is it possible to trade statues or other furniture, I've always wondered if I could.

Yeah.

Statues tend to be worth a lot, partially because they have a large base value and partially because they take the FULL value of whatever material they're made out of. So a statue made of native platinum ore is worth the same as one made of platinum bars.

But they're very, very heavy.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When I go to the trade menu, they don't show up, do I have to switch the culling of mandates?

Maximus on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aioua wrote: »
    Is there any kind of good may to look up worldgen paramaters, to get the holy grail site?
    I just want sand, magma, flux, dirt layers, and an underground river for towercaps... on a 2x2 for my poor framerate...
    Is that too much to ask? ^^'

You can tweak your world gen with this (spoliered for the huge) world gen that has been provided before in this thread.
    [WORLD_GEN]
    [TITLE:MEDIUM]
    [DIM:129:129]
    [END_YEAR:1050]
    [BEAST_END_YEAR:250:50]
    [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
    [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
    [ELEVATION:290:305:1600:1600]
    [RAINFALL:0:100:100:100]
    [TEMPERATURE:10:90:100:100]
    [DRAINAGE:0:100:200:200]
    [VOLCANISM:100:100:0:0]
    [SAVAGERY:40:100:1600:1600]
    [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
    [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:0:0:0]
    [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:0:0:0]
    [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:0]
    [OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
    [VOLCANO_MIN:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
    [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
    [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:50]
    [RIVER_MINS:800:800]
    [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
    [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
    [SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
    [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:1]
    [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:200]
    [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:200]
    [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:2]
    [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
    [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:25]
    [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:20000]
    [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
    [ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
    [RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
    [DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
    [SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
    [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

I almost always get a site that has a river, magma pipe, underground river, chasm and special features. At least in 6x6. Ive seen plenty of results if your less picky, say removing the chasm. As far as sand is concerned, you can edit the \raw\objects\matgloss_stone_soil.txt file and add the [SOIL_SAND] flag to all the items in there. Then at least anytime you embark with a river the soil/clay can provide sand.

To the next OP creator, please consider adding the world gen parameters to pile. This seriously cut down on the amount of time needed to find a "near perfect" site. If I had any complaint it would be that it never seems to generate a world with embarkable bauxite :( . Of course clever [ENVIRONMENT_SPEC] tag editing in raw\objects\matgloss_stone_mineral.txt fixes that :D

Blood Drive on
    edited May 2009
    Maximus wrote: »
    When I go to the trade menu, they don't show up, do I have to switch the culling of mandates?
    Only if export of statues is forbidden by one of your nobles.

In other news, woo one of my "sleeper" armor/weaponsmiths, aka peasants with dabbling armor/weaponsmithing, just got a fey mood, and boy has he claimed a lot of materials so far. Too bad the base material is copper rather than iron or steel, but should still be awesome.

For bauxite, I usually just rely on trading with my parent civ for it. I make sure they have it by seeing if I can take any on the embark screen, and if I can't, abort and try the same site with a different dwarf civ if possible.

Oh man he just started, this should be worth at least 50k based on the materials he's using.
    editfinal: LOL a copper buckler. Lame. Just shy of 50k dwarfbucks, 46800. I was close.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited May 2009
    I want to collapse several layers of rock. I've dug a channel about the whole area so it's fully disconnected along the sides. Now I'm busy digging out the bottom-most layer, leaving a single pillar to hold the whole thing up. Once done, I plan to yank the pillar (via a lever) and watch it crash.

Question: Will this process completely eradicate the entire chunk of rock? Or will digging out only the bottom layer simply cause the whole thing to drop one layer...?

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
    edited May 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    I want to collapse several layers of rock. I've dug a channel about the whole area so it's fully disconnected along the sides. Now I'm busy digging out the bottom-most layer, leaving a single pillar to hold the whole thing up. Once done, I plan to yank the pillar (via a lever) and watch it crash.

Question: Will this process completely eradicate the entire chunk of rock? Or will digging out only the bottom layer simply cause the whole thing to drop one layer...?
    It'll drop a layer.

I'm doing the next OP, anyone have that comic about wading through cats? Edit: Nevermind, Google helped me.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »

It'll drop a layer.

I'm doing the next OP, anyone have that comic about wading through cats? Edit: Nevermind, Google helped me.

079.png

Couscous on
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quick question. I built a dining room for each of my little dwarfs, yet they still walk over to the beer and drink it standing up, what did I do wrong? THey eat there food at the dining room, nad I assigned each one a table....

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mifio wrote: »
    Quick question. I built a dining room for each of my little dwarfs, yet they still walk over to the beer and drink it standing up, what did I do wrong? THey eat there food at the dining room, nad I assigned each one a table....

Dwarves are too impatient to bother with mugs or tables when it comes to booze.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm a noob for asking, after drafting dwarves into the military, how do I get them to pick up a weapon and train?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mifio wrote: »
    I'm a noob for asking, after drafting dwarves into the military, how do I get them to pick up a weapon and train?

they do so when off duty.

hit M to see your military, then
    "V"iew the squad
    and S"t"and Down

i reccomend having them spar with unarmed first, so you don't have a bunch of injured dwarves.
    when they hit "wrestler" rank, give them whatever you want to use.

Just dont do what i did and wait till "elite wrestler" because they have to get a higher rank in whatever the weapon is to rank into "hammerdwarf" or "marksdwarf"

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FunkyWaltDogg on