We're going to be adding some advertisements to the forums! If you notice any weirdness around this or spot bad/inappropriate ads, please make a thread in the bugs forum.

The New Comic Thread for Monday, May 4, 2009

1810121314

Posts

  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Shut up it's fucking Monopoly it's a goddamn board game shut up
    Wiggin obviously we don't understand fun we obviously as someone else mentioned have not been a monopoly club president so we can't relate.

    Honestly Defender's opinions aren't usually too bad

    it's the WELL YOU DON'T MAKE GAMES YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES THEM BETTER

    Well fuck I know what makes ME think it's better

    I know what I, Donald K Wiggin, enjoy doing

    And I could not give less of a shit about the other guy if I tried

    Because wiggin you aren't having defender fun (tm).

    I wanted to find one of those funny comics about Smash Brothers from Encyclopedia Dramatica

    Then I realized that the problem was trying to find something funny on Encyclopedia Dramatica

    AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I made the original ED page on the Trapped In The Closet videos, and it was actually amusing

    And now?

    No

    All I remember is trying to make as many jokes about "but the man....is a midget...midget...midget..." as I could

    Me Too! on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2009
    that CTS figure looks really cool

    DJ Eebs on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Whoa now hey now I don't think that it's cool enough that we need to resort to italics.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh yeah?

    AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    You're ruining a good thing, AMP'd. Hope you are happy.

    See that?

    No italics.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i ruin everything

    AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Shut up it's fucking Monopoly it's a goddamn board game shut up
    Wiggin obviously we don't understand fun we obviously as someone else mentioned have not been a monopoly club president so we can't relate.

    Honestly Defender's opinions aren't usually too bad

    it's the WELL YOU DON'T MAKE GAMES YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES THEM BETTER

    Well fuck I know what makes ME think it's better

    I know what I, Donald K Wiggin, enjoy doing

    And I could not give less of a shit about the other guy if I tried

    Wiggin, I don't think I have ever agreed with you before, but here's for the first time.

    A duck! on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, duck, I thought you were cool.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    i ruin everything

    Stealing my schtick

    Fabricate on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    haha - campion, that's actually a good catch. What's pictured is a prototype, and that symbol is a mistake. The CTS symbol with the elongated circle and the dot actually we have legal rights to, so the final one will be corrected.
    ah, I thought maybe what we saw was ok simply because the symbol is actually black but pac-man is yellow

    With the right lawyer, it would be.

    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009
    Man, duck, I thought you were cool.

    He's disagreeing with Defender, so what can I do?

    A duck! on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, it's a circle with a triangle cut-out. You can't copyright that.

    It could be a pizza.

    Or a... um..
    a Pac Man

    jwalk on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A boxer?

    BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It could be a cake

    It could be a pie

    It could be any number of circular foods!

    ...man now I want some cake

    Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It could be a cake

    It could be a pie

    It could be any number of circular foods!

    ...man now I want some cake

    cake flavored pie

    PiptheFair on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A cheese wedge.

    jwalk on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It could be Boxy Brown's main leading lady, Round Rita.

    jwalk on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    jwalk wrote: »
    Man, it's a circle with a triangle cut-out. You can't copyright that.

    It could be a pizza.

    Or a... um..
    a Pac Man
    blac-man

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »
    Man, it's a circle with a triangle cut-out. You can't copyright that.

    It could be a pizza.

    Or a... um..
    a Pac Man
    blac-man

    Nigglypuff.

    Brolo on
    CONTEXT: What you have just read is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying that i'm a complete dumbass.
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »
    Man, it's a circle with a triangle cut-out. You can't copyright that.

    It could be a pizza.

    Or a... um..
    a Pac Man
    blac-man

    The ghosts are the KKK

    AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    Man, duck, I thought you were cool.

    He's disagreeing with Defender, so what can I do?

    Mutter and shuffle your feet you fool!

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »
    Man, it's a circle with a triangle cut-out. You can't copyright that.

    It could be a pizza.

    Or a... um..
    a Pac Man
    blac-man

    The ghosts are the KKK

    Whitey, Lighty, Fighty, and Clyde

    Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    haha - campion, that's actually a good catch. What's pictured is a prototype, and that symbol is a mistake. The CTS symbol with the elongated circle and the dot actually we have legal rights to, so the final one will be corrected.
    Lookit me, catching all the mistakes. First the Heartis shirt, now this. I should be an intern, or Junior Arcadian, or something.
    jwalk wrote: »
    Man, it's a circle with a triangle cut-out. You can't copyright that.
    It could be a pizza.
    Or a... um..
    a Pac Man

    My mom would try to trick my brother and I into eating grilled ham sandwiches when we were younger by calling them Pac Man Sandwiches.
    Damn, you could've called those poopwhiches and I'd have eaten them, they were delicious and hamful.

    Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    It's a homemade mechanic for progressing gameplay. The game moves slowly, too slowly for some, so they adjust the rules so the game can keep moving.

    But it doesn't do that. It does the exact opposite of that, actually. The game ends when one player dominates the board. Giving money out at random means that the money will likely go to a player other than the winner (assuming more than two active players), which just extends the game. Similar to giving a little handful of minerals to a losing player in Starcraft. It just lets him hold out slightly longer, but doesn't change the momentum of the game. And if it does change the momentum of the game, then you've fucked the balance.
    If I have more fun playing with my house rules than with the standard rules than I would say that I know better than the game maker yes.

    Yeah because it's totally impossible that you simply don't get the game, right? There's no way that that's the case. It has to be the game's fault.

    What you also ignore is the possibility that you're just going to find a local maximum. So yeah, the game's more fun now, but maybe long-term, the game is less fun because you've fucked with a really complex formula that you do not fully understand, and what you did may ruin the game later on. It could be later on in the same match, or it could be later on as you fail to see the merits of the original game, because you're playing a version with fucked-up rules.

    I've seen people do this in Warcraft. They made mods with no gold, lumber, or food limits. Because, hey, everyone hates being out of gold, lumber, or food, right? So let's turn all the caps off! Well, that's retarded because even though the game starts faster, the rest of the game's finely-tuned balance is completely fucked as a result, and only absolute beginner players wouldn't realize this.

    The only way anyone ever gets eliminated in Monopoly is by landing on a fairly large hotel, usually more than one. Otherwise it's too easy to just scrape by. And it takes a while to make money early on (which is why the game is so slow with standard rules), because you have no source of income other than passing Go, as early properties give laughably low amounts of money. If the currently losing player gets an extra $500 late in the game by landing on free parking, it's not going to do anything for him. The only ways he could have lost anyway are by landing on late-board hotels, which will still completely fuck him, and on the off chance that the $500 manages to let him survive, his opponent will have so much money and so many properties that he'll be dead in a roll or two anyway. (I'm talking about getting $500 because that's the version of the rule the people I've played with have used--you get an extra $500 if you land on Free Parking. Sometimes this is supplemented with what players have lost on the Income Tax square, but that doesn't really matter.)

    The only way that extra $500 can significantly affect the game is when someone lands on it pretty early on. This gives them a boost to their cash reserves that's actually pretty damn huge compared to what other players are getting at that point, letting them get ahead in properties owned, giving them yet another advantage, and often leading to an early domination. In that case, the free parking rule has sped up the game immensely. So most of the time it will do nothing, or almost nothing, to slow the game down, because giving $500 to the current losers will extend their life by a roll or two at most late in the game. But sometimes it will speed the game up by quite a lot, because $500 is enough money early on that it will give one player a significant advantage. So I think you're wrong about that.

    The other idea is that by instituting this new rule, players are fucking up the game balance. Normally, yes, that would probably be the case. But Monopoly is a crappy game. It is not well-designed or well-balanced. It is a game of luck with very limited ways (compared to, say, Catan) to mitigate that luck through strategy and choice. The only meaningful decision the player is ever presented with is "Do I buy this thing I just landed on?" That choice is itself informed so massively by luck, because landing on the wrong things will give you only truly crappy choices while landing on the right ones will give you much better ones, that it is also essentially meaningless. The only other thing the player has control over is trading, but, as the game rules itself say almost nothing about trading beyond "Go ahead and do it," whether it makes the game more fun is entirely a function of the coolness of the people you're playing with. There's very rarely any way for two players to make a trade that's anything close to mutually beneficial, which means that every trade is either useless or one player making a stupid decision to benefit another. This is because the only things you're trading for are money and property (which quickly become perfectly equivalent), and there's always going to be clear leader in that area--whoever's winning. Contrast again to Catan, where there are many resources and it's tough to get a good enough source of each one that you would never need to trade, so mutually beneficial trades are both possible and encouraged. And if you do manage to get into that position where you have everything you need, you did it through correct settlement placement and not entirely through lucky rolls.

    So basically: One, I think you're wrong about the effects of the free parking rule. But two, it doesn't matter because Monopoly is a crappy game and there's no real balance to fuck up in the first place.

    redhead on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    beatoned-1.jpg

    Clint Eastwood on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    I foresee a day when Defender is forbidden from "debating" in the new comic thread at all.

    edit: ahaha nice cloudman

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Shut up it's fucking Monopoly it's a goddamn board game shut up
    Wiggin obviously we don't understand fun we obviously as someone else mentioned have not been a monopoly club president so we can't relate.

    Honestly Defender's opinions aren't usually too bad

    it's the WELL YOU DON'T MAKE GAMES YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES THEM BETTER

    Well fuck I know what makes ME think it's better

    I know what I, Donald K Wiggin, enjoy doing

    And I could not give less of a shit about the other guy if I tried

    Wiggin, I don't think I have ever agreed with you before, but here's for the first time.

    That's a good defense, too, Wiggin. "It's just a fucking X" where X is the category of the thing you don't understand because you're a goddamn retard. It's just a movie. It's just a comic book. It's just a painting. All that means is "I don't understand it, but I assume that it must be completely shallow and meaningless based on what medium it is."

    Also, Wiggin, try reading my actual statement. It wasn't just "you don't make games and therefore don't get it." I did mention that, but I also gave actual information.

    Monopoly is a criticism of unregulated capitalism. It purposely has feedback loops built in, where one player buys property which both makes him money (so he can buy more property and be insulated from bankruptcy/defeat), and takes away money from his opponents (so they cannot buy property and are pulled closer to bankruptcy/defeat).

    Giving large chunks of money to players at random fucks up the balance, draws defeats out even longer than they already are, and weakens the statement that unregulated capitalism creates socially-dangerous corporate juggernauts.

    But hey, you're a fucking idiot who barely has two brain cells to rub together, so of course you wouldn't notice these mechanics at all and would just assume that it's "just a board game" and that games are designed by randomly throwing arbitrary rules together without trying to express any meaningful ideas or construct specific mechanics.

    And arguing that you like it better and therefore it is better is fucking stupid. It's like a world-class chef has prepared a meal, and you've taken that meal, dunked it in the toilet, and said "I made it better! I know more than the chef." Seriously, you took a world-famous game that's been around way longer than you, put in a rule that actually fucks it up in several ways, and claimed you know what's up.

    Just as a general life hint, people who are regarded as experts in their fields are only very very rarely complete morons in those fields. You, on the other hand, are an idiot. If you vehemently disagree, it's probably not because the expert is wrong.

    Defender on
    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So should I just post rob othero's sig again or what

    Clint Eastwood on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh god

    The new comic thread looks like D&D

    Get out while you can

    AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it's a disturbing trend to say the least.

    Clint Eastwood on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Shut up it's fucking Monopoly it's a goddamn board game shut up
    Wiggin obviously we don't understand fun we obviously as someone else mentioned have not been a monopoly club president so we can't relate.

    Honestly Defender's opinions aren't usually too bad

    it's the WELL YOU DON'T MAKE GAMES YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES THEM BETTER

    Well fuck I know what makes ME think it's better

    I know what I, Donald K Wiggin, enjoy doing

    And I could not give less of a shit about the other guy if I tried

    Wiggin, I don't think I have ever agreed with you before, but here's for the first time.

    That's a good defense, too, Wiggin. "It's just a fucking X" where X is the category of the thing you don't understand because you're a goddamn retard. It's just a movie. It's just a comic book. It's just a painting. All that means is "I don't understand it, but I assume that it must be completely shallow and meaningless based on what medium it is."

    Also, Wiggin, try reading my actual statement. It wasn't just "you don't make games and therefore don't get it." I did mention that, but I also gave actual information.

    Monopoly is a criticism of unregulated capitalism. It purposely has feedback loops built in, where one player buys property which both makes him money (so he can buy more property and be insulated from bankruptcy/defeat), and takes away money from his opponents (so they cannot buy property and are pulled closer to bankruptcy/defeat).

    Giving large chunks of money to players at random fucks up the balance, draws defeats out even longer than they already are, and weakens the statement that unregulated capitalism creates socially-dangerous corporate juggernauts.

    But hey, you're a fucking idiot who barely has two brain cells to rub together, so of course you wouldn't notice these mechanics at all and would just assume that it's "just a board game" and that games are designed by randomly throwing arbitrary rules together without trying to express any meaningful ideas or construct specific mechanics.

    And arguing that you like it better and therefore it is better is fucking stupid. It's like a world-class chef has prepared a meal, and you've taken that meal, dunked it in the toilet, and said "I made it better! I know more than the chef." Seriously, you took a world-famous game that's been around way longer than you, put in a rule that actually fucks it up in several ways, and claimed you know what's up.

    Just as a general life hint, people who are regarded as experts in their fields are only very very rarely complete morons in those fields. You, on the other hand, are an idiot. If you vehemently disagree, it's probably not because the expert is wrong.
    No one's saying that it makes the game "better." They're saying that it makes it more fun for them personally and presumably for the people they play with. If I thought my food tasted better after a good toilet soak then I'd eat my meals in the bathroom. When we are dealing with a thing that a person spends their leisure time on, it's only sensible that they're going to do everything they can to optimize the amount of enjoyment they get out of the activity. And in the specific case of me and Monopoly, that means giving people money when they hit Free Parking.

    Speed Racer on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Redhead, you have some good points. I'll try to address them.

    redhead wrote: »
    The only way anyone ever gets eliminated in Monopoly is by landing on a fairly large hotel, usually more than one. Otherwise it's too easy to just scrape by.

    In terms of the final deathblow, yes, that's usually the killer. However, people generally bleed out gradually because of this feedback loop:

    1) I weaken myself in order to buy property.
    2) I now have a spot on the map that randomly weakens you and makes me stronger.
    3) You cannot buy that property.

    As long as I don't run out of money entirely, I am at an advantage. As I continue to buy property, the odds of you being weakened (and me strengthened) on every move increases. Eventually, you are in a position where you are essentially running a vampiric gauntlet, strengthening me at your own expense. Ultimately, yeah, you'll probably die on a hotel that your money helped build, but what really killed you was the slow, snake-like crush that was applied over a long time.
    redhead wrote: »
    And it takes a while to make money early on (which is why the game is so slow with standard rules), because you have no source of income other than passing Go, as early properties give laughably low amounts of money. If the currently losing player gets an extra $500 late in the game by landing on free parking, it's not going to do anything for him. The only ways he could have lost anyway are by landing on late-board hotels, which will still completely fuck him, and on the off chance that the $500 manages to let him survive, his opponent will have so much money and so many properties that he'll be dead in a roll or two anyway. (I'm talking about getting $500 because that's the version of the rule the people I've played with have used--you get an extra $500 if you land on Free Parking. Sometimes this is supplemented with what players have lost on the Income Tax square, but that doesn't really matter.)

    In the "house rule" mentioned by Speed Racer early on, it was $500 plus "fees," which I interpreted to mean "any penalty money assessed by the game itself (i.e. not rent paid to another player)." Regardless, I agree with you here on both counts. The early game is a little bit slow. I think that it's meant to represent the difficulty of getting into the capitalist game, almost putting the start-up entrepreneur in a sympathetic light. I'm not sure about that. It could just be some annoying thing like Blizzard giving you incredibly few resources at the start of Starcraft (I don't know if they meant the early game to be that long or what, but they changed it drastically for Warcraft 3). I also agree that $500 in the super-late game doesn't do anything.

    However, that second argument means that it's a bad mechanic. It doesn't do anything! It doesn't improve the game! Don't add rules that don't make the game better. What it does is simply drag out the lame-duck ending, which is bad, while not really giving a reasonable chance for a comeback.
    redhead wrote: »
    The only way that extra $500 can significantly affect the game is when someone lands on it pretty early on. This gives them a boost to their cash reserves that's actually pretty damn huge compared to what other players are getting at that point, letting them get ahead in properties owned, giving them yet another advantage, and often leading to an early domination. In that case, the free parking rule has sped up the game immensely. So most of the time it will do nothing, or almost nothing, to slow the game down, because giving $500 to the current losers will extend their life by a roll or two at most late in the game. But sometimes it will speed the game up by quite a lot, because $500 is enough money early on that it will give one player a significant advantage. So I think you're wrong about that.

    I don't think I'm wrong about that. I mentioned that there are already mechanics in place to give money to players based on traveling the board. There's the fixed money, $200 for passing Go, and the random money in the chance/chest cards. In other words, the game already has this feature. If you are "redundant" at work, you get fired. Redundant things in game design should be treated the same. Once again, this rule does not make the game better.
    redhead wrote: »
    The other idea is that by instituting this new rule, players are fucking up the game balance. Normally, yes, that would probably be the case. But Monopoly is a crappy game. It is not well-designed or well-balanced.

    Wow, that's a massive assertion. I do not agree at all. The game purposely includes feedback loops and has lame-duck endings. Those are generally regarded as "bad things." (I guess this means I don't actually completely disagree!) However, the game includes those things for a special reason: It intends to portray the crushing power of unregulated capitalism that later showed up with companies like Standard Oil. Showing that players are powerless to fight the big capitalist leaders of society via these feedback loops was entirely necessary and was, in fact, the point of the game. This game traded in a little bit of "fun" in order to make a point. A lot of movies have sad endings, you know, when they could just be "happily ever after." These movies are making the audience feel sad, but it's very much done on purpose, it's not because the stupid writer/director couldn't find a way to make everything turn out OK.
    redhead wrote: »
    So basically: One, I think you're wrong about the effects of the free parking rule. But two, it doesn't matter because Monopoly is a crappy game and there's no real balance to fuck up in the first place.

    I snipped that last bit because the things I've already written address why I disagree with your assessment of Monopoly. I think that you basically looked at one element of the game, saw a few warning signs of design flaws, and concluded that these things were actually flaws and not deliberate attempts to make a social statement. I disagree. The game is balanced, but it's balanced purposely to show a flaw in the balance of a real-world economic system.

    Defender on
    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy fucking shit.

    ChicoBlue on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    sufferin' succotash

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    maybe we'll luck out and the new comic will be about pubic hair or boners.

    knowing defender, he will ruin that too.

    Clint Eastwood on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sometimes I put cracked pepper on my steak instead of just eating it bare. I know the cook made it to be delicious on it's own, but I tend to find it even more delicious with the addition of seasoning.

    Javen on
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User
    edited May 2009
    I think the key point here is that people like to play games for fun rather than to learn about how capitalism slowly crushes your dreams

    GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No one's saying that it makes the game "better." They're saying that it makes it more fun for them personally and presumably for the people they play with. If I thought my food tasted better after a good toilet soak then I'd eat my meals in the bathroom. When we are dealing with a thing that a person spends their leisure time on, it's only sensible that they're going to do everything they can to optimize the amount of enjoyment they get out of the activity. And in the specific case of me and Monopoly, that means giving people money when they hit Free Parking.

    I think you and Wiggin both said that, and I know that you said that you actually "know better" than the original game designer:
    If I have more fun playing with my house rules than with the standard rules than I would say that I know better than the game maker yes.

    Defender on
    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Sometimes I put cracked pepper on my steak instead of just eating it bare. I know the cook made it to be delicious on it's own, but I tend to find it even more delicious with the addition of seasoning.
    heretic

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.