As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battlefield 2 - 1.5 beta is out!

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Is anyone else able to play online at the moment? I just tried connecting, my server list is empty and in the recently played servers it wouldn't connect to any and then they just disappeared.

EDIT:

Surely there must be some legal recourse EA can take against these cock bites who create the hacks in the first place? Didn't Blizzard do something like that?

who are they going to sue? the INTERNET? these hackers don't post their home address with the programs

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    That video makes me not want to re-install Battlefield 2 for the 1.5 patch. How bad is the hacking? Am I going to find these jerks in every game if I do re-install?

My single biggest complaint about the 1.5 beta is trying to connect to a server. Often I'll select a server and click join server or i'll double click on the server and nothing will happen. Sometimes no matter how many times I try to connect it doesn't.

Apparently it's a known bug. It gets on your nerves very, very quickly.

For example

The bit where it says played when I go into favourites, it increments the number every time you try to join a server. For example the wake server I've probably connected to no more than a dozen times and look at the "Played" count.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That video makes me not want to re-install Battlefield 2 for the 1.5 patch. How bad is the hacking? Am I going to find these jerks in every game if I do re-install?

The couple times I've played, I haven't seen anything that would lead be to believe people were hacking. After a little while on a map you can usually tell if a player is up to no good. Most decently run servers will root those types of players out quick and ban em. I would probably be little more apprehensive of clan servers, but it's not like the community for BF2 is that big anymore anyway. I would think wasting time on a hack would be diminishing returns at this point.

Dark_Side on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it me, or are there only 2-4 vanilla servers running the 1.5 patch, and no SF servers?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it me, or are there only 2-4 vanilla servers running the 1.5 patch, and no SF servers?

I only came across one decently filled server (it had about 24/32 players at the time), and it was in Europe. All of the other 1.5 servers were empty. I also came across weird bugs. Instead of speaking in Chinese, a number of soldiers in that army were speaking like the American troops.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I only came across one decently filled server (it had about 24/32 players at the time), and it was in Europe. All of the other 1.5 servers were empty. I also came across weird bugs. Instead of speaking in Chinese, a number of soldiers in that army were speaking like the American troops.

Was that regardless of your client-side setting for spoken language?

As it stands, I think I am going to have to reinstall BF2 and stick with 1.41, if only to access some decent servers.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • edited May 2009
    I can usually find about 5 servers that have a reasonable number of people on them (between about 10 and 20, typically).

I've had the good fortune to be in a couple of decent games with good commanders/squads and I managed to get promoted (I didn't play this for about 3 years so I'm only a PFC).

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Was that regardless of your client-side setting for spoken language?

As it stands, I think I am going to have to reinstall BF2 and stick with 1.41, if only to access some decent servers.

It was. Some of them were speaking in Chinese, others in English. It was quite strange.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited May 2009
    You know, you'd think that since 1.5 is a beta it'd attract only the more better players to BF2.

How wrong I am. I just played a game where I was PLA on wake (i'd been swapping between usmc and pla), I was alone on the southern part of the island defending the entire bit. The entire round was composed of me trying to fight off 5+ guys and the entire PLA trying to get to the z10 and j10.

So, whilst I'm fighting off and killing guys at a 5-1 kill ratio however they've got medics with them so i'm not doing that much harm. I disconnected out of disgust that all my calls for help were totally ignored as the rest of the PLA side tried to grab the heli and jets.

This is one of the big things why I stopped BF2, total lack of team work.

</rant>

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, whilst I'm fighting off and killing guys at a 5-1 kill ratio however they've got medics with them so i'm not doing that much harm. I disconnected out of disgust that all my calls for help were totally ignored as the rest of the PLA side tried to grab the heli and jets.

This is the only game I remember actually ragequitting on. Repeatedly.

Zxerol on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just reinstalled BF2, what's the workaround for remapping keys?

chasehatesbears on
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know, you'd think that since 1.5 is a beta it'd attract only the more better players to BF2.

How wrong I am. I just played a game where I was PLA on wake (i'd been swapping between usmc and pla), I was alone on the southern part of the island defending the entire bit. The entire round was composed of me trying to fight off 5+ guys and the entire PLA trying to get to the z10 and j10.

</rant>

True, If i had a solid team to play with I think I'd reinstall this game for sure. It's a shame to see such a team oriented game go to waste for me anyway. If people played the game it was meant to be played then its fun (its happened to me back in the day, and damn it was fun).

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tomorrow night finals will all be over and I will reinstall this. Very much looking forward to piloting an attack helo again!

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bet we could have good teamwork. I'll need to reinstall this because I must not have had the right patches installed when I used this new one, so I won't be on until the weekend.

PolloDiablo on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Funny you mention that. My friend last night tried playing for the first time. He likes to swap left and right mouseclick. If you do that, it doesn't let you steer the tv missiles.

NickTheNewbie on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Funny you mention that. My friend last night tried playing for the first time. He likes to swap left and right mouseclick. If you do that, it doesn't let you steer the tv missiles.

I always like to map crouch to left shift and sprint to left control, but BF2 has a huge problem with that.

chasehatesbears on
    edited May 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

This is the only game I remember actually ragequitting on. Repeatedly.

Oh man, this game and the rage quits... One of my favorite maps to play back in the day was the map where you either assaulted or defended an aircraft carrier. Usually was a blast to play, but pretty regularly you would get the grenade spammers. The type of player who would find a good choke point and then spend the entire round chucking grenade after grenade into the same spot drove me up the wall. I would get so pissed off that of course I would suddenly devote all my time trying to take the dude out, sneak up behind him, only to get plastered by a sniper's claymore.

Dark_Side on
    edited May 2009
    That is when you jump into an Apache and make all your problems... go away.

Or snipe him from across the map.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »

This map is kind of special. You can't see the ship from the island spawn to snipe, you have to take a helicopter, boat, or apc to get the ship. From the boat you're to low to snipe guys, helicopter maybe, but you have to fly either super low or super high to get even close to the ship without getting taken down. Basically if you're coming in through the back of the ship, you have to go through this corridor with a long flight of stairs on each side leading up to the deck. The grenade throwers are completely blocked from enemy fire as long as they stay at the top of the stairs. Once there's a spawn it's infinitely better to spawn on the ship, and the ship's lower back spawn outside that corridor is usually the first one taken. God, I still get pissed thinking about it.

Dark_Side on
    edited May 2009
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Jesuits wrote: »

This map is kind of special. You can't see the ship from the island spawn to snipe, you have to take a helicopter, boat, or apc to get the ship. From the boat you're to low to snipe guys, helicopter maybe, but you have to fly either super low or super high to get even close to the ship without getting taken down. Basically if you're coming in through the back of the ship, you have to go through this corridor with a long flight of stairs on each side leading up to the deck. The grenade throwers are completely blocked from enemy fire as long as they stay at the top of the stairs. Once there's a spawn it's infinitely better to spawn on the ship, and the ship's lower back spawn outside that corridor is usually the first one taken. God, I still get pissed thinking about it.

Oh, I remember the map you're talking about, now. I was thinking of one of the base maps with the PLA. Point taken.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think the name of it is "Iron Gator"
    Or something like that. I hated that map.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    edited May 2009
    I don't know why, but I loved it even though most of the time it was a incredibly frustrating map to play on. The griefing ability on that map was crazy.

Dark_Side on
    edited May 2009
    Reinstalled and played some 1.0 while waiting for patches to download. CPU pilots and gunners are shit from a butt. Didn't take long to relearn how to play, though.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Nailbunny and I played a bunch. Was fun! Would have been more fun with more of yas in with us, though.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    New beta 2 is out.

Here.
    EA wrote:
    * Consensus to revert to 0.3 second delay between jump and prone - Fixed
    * Mouse wheel acceleration on jeeps and APC’s - In Test
    * Mouse wheel acceleration on parachutes - In Test
    * Falcon controller prevents joystick controls being assigned to work especially on jets and helicopters. Falcon always acts as primary controller for pitch and roll. Resets to Falcon at the start of every round. - Fixed
    * The jets on Highway Tampa were replaced with attack choppers in 1.50 - Fixed, Highway Tampa is now as it was in 1.41
    * The graphics for Highway Tampa are the same as Mashtuur City on create a local match in the menu and load screen. - Fixed
    * Picking up the kit of a player who disconnected causes crashes - In Test
    * Audio settings do not always save after clicking APPLY - Fixed
    * Registry Version remains at 1.4 after Update 1.5 is installed - Fixed
    * BF2OpenAL.dll was version 1.1.1.0 - Fixed - Updated to version 2.1.8.1
    * ch_gas_station collision mesh on Dragon Valley was inconsistent with other gas station buildings - Fixed
    * MEC artillery piece on Operation Clean Sweep changes to the USMC's control when they capture the Airfield flag - Fixed
    * Challenger2 HUD icon was incorrect showing M1A2 HUD icon instead - Fixed
    * Road to Jalalabad has PLA FAV spawn in place of a MEC FAV - Fixed
    * Dragon Valley Chinese artillery used default respawn time instead of 360 seconds as other artillery uses - Fixed
    * Bizon (PP-19) had no delay time after weapon switch - Fixed (this now has a delay of 0.666)
    * F35B had a lock delay of 1.5 compared to 1 second lock delay of other aircraft - Fixed
    * Incorrect camo Humvee was being spawned in Taraba Quarry - Fixed
    * UH-60 (Black Hawk) guns had 0.25 splash damage setting, down from 3 making it difficult to hit infantry. - Fixed (this is now set to 1.5 to improve the UH-60's usefulness while not allowing it to dominate)
    * It was impossible to pass a claymore unless an engineer disarmed it first. - Fixed (players can now go prone to pass the claymore)
    * Allow BF2.exe to use more than 2Gb RAM on machines that support it - Fixed

And oh yeah, the second beta weighs in at 1.3GB.

Also, on Blue Pearl:
    Bjorn wrote:
    After reading your feedbacks in this forum I’ve done some changes to the map. My main plan has been to let you, the community, become involved in the development of the map. And I’m really glad to see that many of you came up with good ideas to enhance and better the player experience of the map. What we’re launching now is a second beta. And presented below are the changes for game play:

* 16 player – double assault map. All control points moved to the “city side” to allow for better IO game play. When run normally – each team will get an APC: PLA at the yard and US at the Old Square.
    * 32 player – opened up the southern parts of the city creating two entry points for the US team. Both front flags are neutral when round begins. PLA home base moved forward to the Construction Site, closing off the Harbor Offices. This was due to the fact that it’s really hard for 16 players (full US team in 32) to dominate all control points in the old layout. And this being an assault map, is the intention of the map and how it should play out IF the US get a win.
    * 64 player – both front flags start off as neutral

Hopefully the two neutral flags at the waterline will allow the US to actually land and view the landing as a possible option to trying to sneak around the front flags. Timing seems to put both teams in the temple area at about the same time (provided that the US use ribs to get across, the APC:s will take a little more time). At the Garden (changed name from Market) US should be able to make landfall and move towards the control point before the PLA can reach it. Timing it puts the first fight here in and around the garden. Hopefully this will result in a really intense startup with a crucial fight – if US succeed the will stand a good chance at winning the map, if they fail they will have a much harder time to get back in the fight.

Thanks for all great feedback and all the testing you’ve done so far. Please hang in there and continue to play the map and send feedback.

/Bjorn

Which is good news, I'm all for challenging maps but actually getting to land as the USMC only ever worked in two conditions rushing to the boats as fast as possible and hoping you get there before the AT PLA guys do or the USMC going as a cohesive military force. Since the latter is nigh on impossible to achieve unless everyone is in the same clan then the former is the most likely.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2009
    1.3GB? What the hell?

...Downloading.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Looks like the official release of 1.5 is out!

NickTheNewbie on
  • CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looks like the official release of 1.5 is out!

Well, I know what I'm doing today.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On the one hand, I could make fun of DICE for being complete snails getting this patch out. olol dicetime mirite

On the other, I can't think of many other devs that would support a four-year-old game with a massive 2gb+ patch, so I appreciate it. I guess it's time to reinstall this damned game and get my Battlefield fix on, seeing as how 1943 got delayed to fuck anyway.

Zxerol on
    edited September 2009
    Motherfuck this changelog is awesome. The highlights for me:

-Additional support for Windows Vista.
    -Changes made to both the J10 and F35B to make them more balanced. (I'm hoping that means they can't slaughter everyone)
    -AA targeting tweaked to make it more effective.
    -Players can now pass claymores by going prone
    - Added Widescreen support

motherfuck everything in that changelog is solid gold

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bf2_2142/archive/2009/08/27/battlefield-2-update-v1-50-is-almost-here.aspx

NickTheNewbie on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Urge to reinstall rising.

projectmayhem on
    edited September 2009
    All the mirrors linked on the official site are shit. Here's a torrent that's blazing.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5075944/%5BOFFICIAL%5D__Battlefield_2_Patch_1.50_FULL_PATCH

Edit: Don't forget, this may fix a bunch of stuff, but it's still DICE! You need to be upgraded to 1.41 before installing this patch. If you're doing a fresh install, you might want to contact me as I went through the harrowing experience of reinstalling it very recently, and there are a lot of nuances to deal with to get it to fucking work.

NickTheNewbie on
  • BreathmintsBreathmints Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    All the mirrors linked on the official site are shit. Here's a torrent that's blazing.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5075944/%5BOFFICIAL%5D__Battlefield_2_Patch_1.50_FULL_PATCH

Edit: Don't forget, this may fix a bunch of stuff, but it's still DICE! You need to be upgraded to 1.41 before installing this patch. If you're doing a fresh install, you might want to contact me as I went through the harrowing experience of reinstalling it very recently, and there are a lot of nuances to deal with to get it to fucking work.

I don't know if the mirrors are still shitty or not, but I'm downloading it from BigDownload.com at 1mbps, so you may want to check that out.

This definitely made me reinstall. A-10 HERE I COME!

Breathmints on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wusoldjr wrote: »
    God I miss BF2 so much. I still have it installed, but haven't thought of a good reason to fire it up again. I'll definitely give this a try though. Sniping on Sharqi Peninsula was always my favorite.

Sueve on
    edited September 2009
    oh my gooooooooood I'm so used to standard resolution distorted on my widescreen monitor, now everything looks tall and skinny!

NickTheNewbie on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait so this game is still in Beta?

I've never actually played it before, so I think i'll give this a try. Is there a PA server?

101 on
    edited September 2009
    101 wrote: »

I've never actually played it before, so I think i'll give this a try. Is there a PA server?

The thread title reflects the latest patch that was in beta until recently. Battlefield 2 is a retail game that came out 4 years ago. You can get the vanilla version (no expansions) on amazon for 8 bucks.

NickTheNewbie on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    101 wrote: »

No, the new 1.5 patch WAS in beta but just recently went live as an official patch. The game itself is around 4 years old.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a copy of this somewhere. Came with a free copy of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
    I don't think I played it when I got it because I forgot that there were like 70 expansions or something.

Rizzi on
    edited September 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I have a copy of this somewhere. Came with a free copy of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
    I don't think I played it when I got it because I forgot that there were like 70 expansions or something.

There was the special forces expansion pack (which is a mod, so it's like a separate game), and the two map booster packs that went with the regular game. With the v1.5 patch, the two booster packs are now free and included.

NickTheNewbie on