As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Games and the Classical World

BobCescaBobCesca Is a girlBirmingham, UKRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm a Classicist, and I doing some research looking at depictions of the Classical World in new media.

One of the things I would like to look into is the classical world in computer games, and trying to save my subject from people who insist on writing about it who have never actually played the game and have no real knowledge of computer games and the processes behind decisions and whatnot (they generally just treat it like films and there are different things going on which actually make a difference in this area of reception studies).

While I've managed to get a pretty hefty list through my own knowledge and some google-fu, I know that you guys on PA will know of a load of games I've never even heard of.

If you know anything, can you post the title and console the game's on (and if you want to let me know how it uses depictions of the classical world it will be a help as a starting point).

EDIT: to save from any confusion, Classical World = ancient Greece and Rome

EDIT 2: It's not just setting, but any game that uses any aspect pertaining to ancient Greece and Rome (i.e. mythology, character names, etc). Also, it doesn't matter if it was the worse game to have been vomited up upon this earth, that's actually quite useful in terms of the topic, though if there are decent games, that's also good :P

BobCesca on

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but Rome: Pathway to Power was pretty entertaining.

It's an old Maxis PC game in which the player starts as a slave and attempts to climb the ladder to become the new emperor through war, diplomacy, and whatnot.

I don't remember a hell of a lot about it, except that the battles were pretty fun, and that the Colosseum fights were great. You could also cheat at dice, which is a plus in my book.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think you might run into a bit of a problem. Most games are more akin to pulp than anything resembling classicism. Part of that is that the entire hobby is predicated on a sense of action - input that results in on-screen happenings. Typically it takes the form of violence, which is at odds with the sort of formal restraint exercised by classicists.

Sure there are games that are classics, beautiful, or well designed - there might be some that qualify as literature or art, but I don't know of anything classical.

Delzhand on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oops...Classical World = ancient Greece and Rome

BobCesca on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think you might run into a bit of a problem. Most games are more akin to pulp than anything resembling classicism. Part of that is that the entire hobby is predicated on a sense of action - input that results in on-screen happenings. Typically it takes the form of violence, which is at odds with the sort of formal restraint exercised by classicists.

Sure there are games that are classics, beautiful, or well designed - there might be some that qualify as literature or art, but I don't know of anything classical.

I think he's talking about games SET in the classical world.

List:

Titan Quest (PC)
    God of War (PS2)
    Gladius (GC, Xbox, PS2)
    Rome: Total War (PC)

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Titan Quest is a hilariously bad example of the use of the classical setting. The first act of the game takes place in a version of ancient Greece in which all of the traditional mythological monsters have started rampaging around killing folks. As the nameless hero, your task is to carve a bloody path of destruction through satyrs, centaurs, wild boars, and cyclopses while doing quests for such luminaries as King Leonides of the Spartans and the Oracle of Delphi. Then you go off to Egypt and kill jackal-men and alligator-men and the undead, which is still somewhat mythologically accurate... then in the next act you're running along the Great Wall of China. There's no time delay in the game, it's not like long years have passed during your adventure, it's "Woo here I am in the newly-built Acropolis of Athens" to "Hey now I'm on the motherfucking Great Wall killing yetis." Oh, and along the way, you also plunder Khufu's tomb in the Great Pyramid, battle your way through the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, and fight Emperor Qin's terra cotta soldiers.

It's like the makers of the game just had a checklist of every remotely noteworthy event or location from classical times and kept adding stuff until they could tick everything off.

Kate of Lokys on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Zeus: Master of Olympus, and the Caesar series for PC. These are city builder games set in ancient Greece and the Roman empire. Zeus also has a heavier emphasis on the Greek mythology with the gods actually wandering the streets of your cities.

Edit: Also, Europa Universalis: Rome for PC.

Cinders on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    God of War might well be a goldmine of information. Jaffe is super into his mythology and interpreting it in ridiculous ways.

BioShock is also worth looking at. The person you communicate most in the game is named Atlas, and acts as your guide.

Too Human is based on Norse mythology, which might only be tangentially related but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited May 2009
    Forgot to include the systems. BioShock is on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Too Human is Xbox 360 only.

Willeth on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Some decent PC games:
    Civilization (many versions)
    Age of Empires (many versions)
    Populous

Dman on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There are a lot of Roman city-building games. The above mentioned Ceasar series probably the reason for this. That series consists of

Caesar 1-3
    Pharoah (plus it's expansion Cleopatra)
    Zeus (plus it's expansion Poseidon)
    Emperor (set in China)
    Caesar 4

There is a spinoff of the Civilization series called CivCity: Rome which is another roman city-builder.

I would also mention Age of Mythology (real time strategy, one of the 3 factions is "Greek"). There also was a recent DS version of this game.

I have seen a couple other roman-themed games on Steam as well.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am shocked and appalled that not one of you whippersnappers mentioned Altered Beast, or Kid Icarus.

now get off my lawn
    Willeth wrote:
    BioShock is also worth looking at. The person you communicate most in the game is named Atlas, and acts as your guide.
    Ehh, aside from the name there's really no direct link that I see between Bioshock and study of the classical world. That character's name is a reference to Atlas Shrugged, and while Ayn Rand's book does use a classical metaphor (Atlas letting the weight of the world drop from his shoulders), it doesn't have much to do with classical studies beyond that.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
    edited May 2009
    I wasn't going to mention it, really, but the OP did say anything with related names was wanted.

Willeth on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    I wasn't going to mention it, really, but the OP did say anything with related names was wanted.
    Fair point, objection withdrawn.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    honestly there are probably dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of video games which make reference to Greek or Roman civilization or mythology.

I would be hard pressed not to think of a game with any kind of fantasy setting involving magic, gods, monsters, etc, that did not make reference to those things.

How many video games have minotaurs in them, for example?

The very fantasy genre itself in any medium is enormously, enormously influenced by Greek mythology.

Evil Multifarious on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    rise of the argonauts is a recent one that's probably worth a rent

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    City Of Heroes has an entire zone set in a an alternate classical rome/greece.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Cimerora

The game also contains many references to Greek mythology in the characters and their backgrounds.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Ingame_References

The most powerful beings in the game are infused with power of the greek gods.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate

The original lead developer had a MA in Ancient History and I believe a second one in Mythology.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No mention of Shadow of Rome for the PS2? Half the game is an extremely gory third-person action game. A A very small part of that is with the Roman army, and the rest is gladiatorial matches including a few chariot races. The other half of the game is basically Metal Gear Rome. Lots of stealth and behind the scenes politics.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Oops...Classical World = ancient Greece and Rome

Ah, I gotcha. In that case, the Rygar remake for PS2 had some absolutely beautiful greek architecture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbYguaNV-xg

Delzhand on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, Rise of Nations of course.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Concerning video games, the use of classically-based mythological creatures can be seen in just about any fantasy RPG ever. Golden Sun has many of its more powerful attacks named after classical figures, with a slight relevance. For example, the second most powerful attack is named Charon, and it technically summons the ferryman of the Styx to attack foes, though it's kind of a Japanified version.

Terrendos on
  • pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    age of empires 1 and playing certain epochs in empire earth 2, as well as rome total war etc, if you're going for rts'. If you're doing classics you'll probably appreciate how cool god of war 1 and especially 2 is more than most people. Sure its not that accurate, but its cool playing through that era and beating the shit out every mythological character you come across.

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Concerning video games, the use of classically-based mythological creatures can be seen in just about any fantasy RPG ever. Golden Sun has many of its more powerful attacks named after classical figures, with a slight relevance. For example, the second most powerful attack is named Charon, and it technically summons the ferryman of the Styx to attack foes, though it's kind of a Japanified version.

This is something I'm really interested in as I know that Classical mythology is quite popular in Japan and is used in RPGs and such that I'll never have heard of.

In general, it's trying to get a feel for how the ancient world is used in games.

BobCesca on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    What was that horror survival game where pretty early on it throws you back in time and you're controlling a Roman centurion? Was on the GameCube I think.

Also, Oh Mummy on the Amstrad CPC and of course Tomb Raider (PC/PSOne) - classic grave robbing games.

Edit: Oh yeah, of course, it was Eternal Darkness on the GameCube.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    hey Cesca, I sifted through my free MMO list for games with a classic theme. I'm not going to list games that have mythological creatures, because in that case you might as well play any fantasy game ever.

One JRPG I would like to mention, though: Shin Megami Tensei, there's like 20 games of 'em, and I've only played the free MMO adaption for a week or two, but the basic premise is that there are demons and you either kill them or make them into your pets. Some of these demons and the gods they relate to are based on Ancient Greek/Latin gods/titans/etc. There is a LOT of mythology to that game, by the way. Egyptian, Hindi, Shinto, Latin, Greek, Norse and some I couldn't place.

Anyway, free MMOs:

Gladiatus
    In-browser RPG that puts you in the codpiece of a gladiator who kills everything that looks creepy.

Atlantica Online
    A stunning looking TBS offering a persistent world in which guilds can control cities. You can control up to 27 characters on the battlefield whom you can tune just like you want to. However, they age and lose power when they get older. That makes important to keep attracting young blood to fight for you.

Ikariam US/Ikariam int.
    PA thread
    Wiki
    Free in-browser empire building game wherein you take control of a Greek city state. The game is still in development, but it is a really smooth experience and it offers quite a lot of depth without becoming needlessly complex. There are also a few dozen rules to make people play fair, so you don't have to fear total annihilation while you're asleep.

Human Age
    Rewrite 10,000 years of history in this in-browser management game.

Aldo on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    honestly there are probably dozens and dozens, if not hundreds of video games which make reference to Greek or Roman civilization or mythology.

I would be hard pressed not to think of a game with any kind of fantasy setting involving magic, gods, monsters, etc, that did not make reference to those things.

The very fantasy genre itself in any medium is enormously, enormously influenced by Greek mythology.

I would easily put that in the thousands, if not tens of thousands.

If I had to make a wild guess: if you were to pick up a game, any game, of any description, there's even odds it will have some sort of classical reference.

That said what I was going to mention already has been, so sorry I can't be more help right now Bob :P

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Elldren wrote: »

I would easily put that in the thousands, if not tens of thousands.

If I had to make a wild guess: if you were to pick up a game, any game, of any description, there's even odds it will have some sort of classical reference.

That said what I was going to mention already has been, so sorry I can't be more help right now Bob :P

Yeah, lets not even mention classical themes in the stories in games. Because then the list of games with classical roots starts to look like a complete list of games ever. :?

Aldo on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rome: Total War is awesome. It actually got me reading classical histories. It makes you feel like you were there.

Also, here is a Roman MMORPG. I don't know if it is any good or not.
    http://www.roma-victor.com/

CelestialBadger on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Will Rock is a game where you shoot Zeus in the FACE.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png