As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What does your name/avatar mean?

SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
So you 'old timers' might already know this about each other but being a noob to these forums I thought it would be fun to ask everyone: what does their name handle mean and how did you come up with your avatar?

Also a good way to go about introductions and get to know each other...
Well here's my info:

Name: I chose my name back in high school a good 6 or 7 years ago... it was a word I liked at the time. And no, I did not get my name from the movie Serenity...
Avatar: Another random choice... I stole it off some site ages ago because I liked it and I thought it was cute.
First time attending PAX? If no, how many years? Yes! So stoked about it! I've been meaning to go for about 2 years now.
What I'm looking forward to the most:Hard choice but I'd say meeting people with similar interests and getting to try out game previews.

So? What about you guys?
Post in the format I have... it'll make it easier for people to read.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
Serenity on

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Coldbrew came from some rounds of Warcraft 3 that me, my brother, and our friend were playing a looong time ago. Pretty simple and stupid, really, but I ran with it, and now everybody knows me by that so I don't have a reason to change it.
    Avatar is my button from last year.
    First PAX was '06 back in Bellevue. It was crowded, but I still miss the place.
    I can't say anything in particular that I'm looking forward to, I enjoy pretty much everything that makes PAX what it is.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: My first gamer nick KingOfWrath was from 1998 playing AOE, but when RTCW came out I felt that was too cheesy and switched to ElectricTurtle beginning with the multiplayer test client. (With those exact colors. For a while I was in a clan as COLOR="Aqua"]C[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]B[/COLORElectricTurtle) I chose it to reflect my techno-centric background as well as my introverted nature. (Not to mention my defensive play style in strategy games.) Also it's unique enough that I rarely have to use a variant.
    Avatar: A semi-ironic confluence of things. It's a picture of April O'Neil (hur hur TMNT) in a costume concept by tabbykat from DeviantArt. It's also something of an ideal, how I wish I looked. You can intuit what you want from that.
    First time attending PAX? If no, how many years? Ha ha ha. Not only have I attended every PAX, including sleeping under the tables of the first BYOC in the 24hr/day format of 2004, but I went to the first NecroWombinCon in 2001.
    What I'm looking forward to the most: Panels. That's the main thing I do during PAX hours.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know no one here really knows me or cares, but I am trying to venture out of just Critical Failures more (I really am a well-rounded nerd, even if my posting history doesn't show it) so here we go:

Name: It's my original WoW name (My main on every server I inhabit is a Tauren Druid by this name), and the only online name I use other than my real one (the latter of which is used for AIM, PSN, GMail, etc.). It's inspired by my enjoyment of the Harvey Birdman character Mentok, the mind taker.
    Avatar: It's Mentok. The Mind Taker. Oooo-weeeeeee-ooo.
    First Time attending PAX: yes.
    What I'm looking forward to the most: The whole experience. I'm bringing friends that I no longer see (they live in Seattle and New Jersey, I live in Ohio), hanging out with people who share my interests (not something I get around work), and hoping to party without fear of ridicule for being nerdy (talking D&D over the keg gets some odd looks where I'm from). The only other convention I've been to is the most recent Blizzcon (hopefully I'll have attended the '09 edition too, by the time PAX arrives) which I'm guessing is a pretty different experience, though it was awesome. For the record, Diablo three is boss.

Themindtaker on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Chosen back in November 1995 when I first went online with my P100 powered PC. Taken from a character's name in a spy spoof skit by Punt and Dennis, two comedians who now have a comedy show on Radio 4. People who recognise the name from the original character yell 'KROPOTKIN MUST DIE' at me for that was the catch phrase of the spy spoof. Kropotkin was the name given to the main character's nemesis and the hero would yell that very phrase. Most people call me 'Krop' online as the name is a little hard to pronounce. As an aid, simply split the name into three sections, thus: Kro - pot - kin.

Avatar: The avatar is of an XBox 360 controller overlaid onto a US and UK flag. It is the same picture I created for my Gamertag on XBL as part of the XBL is Five event of 2007. It was developed for the podcast I host that goes by the name of Superhappyfuntimeshow. The two flags represent the nationalities of the hosts i.e. British and American. This means that I'm one of the few people on XBL who has their own Avatar on XBL :)

First time attending PAX? No. This will be my second.

What I'm looking forward to the most?: Meeting up with podcast show hosts and meeting old friends. Attending panels and checking out the new games on offer. Also exploring more of Seattle this time as I failed to achieve that last year. Finally getting as many forum badges out there to make sure no one is left out this time around.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: "Tapole" (No "D" on purpose) is the last name of my favourite RPG character (text-based....shut up! I hear some of you chuckle out there!) that I've played for a couple of years now. And she was formerly a captain. Sadly, I have not been playing her (actually at all) for nearly a year due to circumstances that are beyond my control (AKA School/Work)--and all this pent-up stories inside my brain for her are killing me.

Avatar: It's usually whatever I choose to be my button for the Exchange; but the reason why I chose this one in particular? It's rare to find both a frog and tadpoles (yes, there is a "d" in there) in the same picture while looking cute. Plus, all the "old-timers" know me as the weird girl with a frog back-pack. True story.

First Time At PAX?: Nope. This will be #3. First time was in '07 when it came to Seattle. The Boyfriend said, "Lyea. We have to go to PAX. Wil Wheaton is doing the keynote." ...Okie, I don't know if he said it exactly like that; but either way, he did geek-out when he said it.

What I'm Looking Forward To See The Most? Umm...You kids for the most part. Stuff/Games I can say "Oo! Shiny!" And ready to spoil The Boyfriend rotten. Which is what I usually do, but seeing how it will be our Anniversary that Saturday, it will be far worse.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: The Devil's In My Details. It's an album from Skinny Puppy's frontman Ohgr and I just loved the cover art so much that it ended up taking over my internet handles lol... it's a pretty unremarkable album really though. He's done so much better.

the coverart! Coincidentally it will also be my button this year.

First time attending PAX?
    Yes sir. First time going to any con whatsoever actually. I'm rather frightened.

What I'm looking forward to the most:
    Meeting some of the people I haven't had the pleasure of meeting in person yet and the Bioware tent pretty much. Brutal Legend's on my list too ^^.

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • Options
    CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Had this since high school, I was in the same social group as my cousin, eventually cousin was whittled down to 'Cuz' or 'Cuzza'. Odd thing, another nickname at high school was 'Curry' and 'Cuzza' is Brit slang for a curry. Which is the reason why cuzza.com is a goddamn Curry recipe website and not my personal website :(

Avatar: Something more fitting after last years PAX, everyone who encountered Macc or I and had talked about Australia with us for more than 5 seconds were told about Drop Bears, a favourite Aussie urban legend of mine. So being Aussie, I went with the Drop Bear. Watch out for them at PAX <.<

First time at PAX?: I was there for PAX08 last year and had decided to come back by Friday afternoon. Tickets were booked and all the second I was able to.

What I'm Looking Forward To See The Most? Seeing all these guys again and riding in the CCST. It is going to be EPIC. I'm also looking forward to the 1up Yours and Brodeo Reunion shows.

CuZZa on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: No real origin, I like the color red and thought it sounded good. Not affiliated with the game Halo in any way. Back in the day I used to go by Tangram on the net, decided it didn't fit me and switched thinking that it would be quite an uncommon and not taken on forums already. These days I'm finding other redhalo's snatching up my identity including a company that designs learning software for the DS that bought my web url off of me.

Avatar: It's Mr Dob a mascot for and by Takashi Murikami. You may know him for being commisioned to design Luis Vitton purses and Kanye West cd covers, but he also started the Superflat art movement. Not well know in the populous here, but I was surprised to find people at PAX whom have actually studied his works for school or visited his galleries.

First time attending PAX?: This will be my second year, but my brother's first.

What I'm looking forward to the most: The PAX community and all the random stuff that we don't plan for.

redhalo on
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: i used to take a lot of medications in high school for stomach problems and they were quite colorful. My friend called me cracky and ive been using forms of crack_____ since then.

Avatar: Broccoli is the devil. done.

First time at PAX? Yea, im actually quite nervous about that. Im a girl and i easily look half my age so i feel like i might get shit for it somewhere down the line.

What im looking forward to the most? Ive never had friends who enjoy playing tabletop board games so it will be cool to be around a huge crowd who do.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Back around '98 or '99 a friend got me into a great freeware game called Liero. Quickest description is 'real time Worms'. So...worms...crocodile dundee = Wormdundee. I've kept it since then because it's completely unique. All google hits are me :)

Avatar Nothing special here. Googled for a picture of a worm and chose one that I liked.

PAX First Timer: Yep, managed to get 2 other newbies to come as well.

What im looking forward to the most?: Hard to say, since I don't really know exactly what it will be like. I'm gonna go with everything.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    sedlorsedlor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: My name comes from WAAAYYYYY back (I think the NES was the SOTA system at the time) Its the name of a pencil and pencil RPG character of mine. Big,Dumb and thoroughly messed up so it seemed mostly appropriate.

Avatar: Again from long,long time ago. Its a scan from the 1st Ed. Shadowrun core rules book (yes it was a pencil and paper game before becoming an Xbox shooter)

First time at PAX: Nope it will be my 4th :shock:. Got dragged up by a friend when it was still in Bellevue and was the infamous 'LINE' convention.....ALL HAIL BALL!!!

What Im looking forward to the most: Seeing friends who live in the area, and being able to completely geek out and look 'normal' doing it :winky:

sedlor on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name:
    Existed ever since Jr High when I became taller than everyone else. People saw it as a way to insult me for being different, That next year I adopted it as my nick :P

XBOX HUEG, I dunno. I was told I needed an avatar. Since I worked on xbox360 for 2.5 years (in the hardware aspect of it), the v1 is kind of a joke around there so... at other forums (with less strict rules) I usually use a funny gif or something

First time at PAX:
    False. Ive never been an attendee at PAX. Been here since 2004 (blame khoo)

What im looking forward to seeing the most:
    Closing :P jk... um.... I suppose to have everything related to my area run smooth and have few problems so im not so stressed out during the convention.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Joethebrave0Joethebrave0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Back when I still played those time sinks that are MMOs, this was my name. No real purpose to it, but it's stuck for years. I use it for just about everything.

Avatar: I just really like the Spy from Team Fortress 2. He's just that cool.

First time at PAX: Not quite. This'll be my second time, but the first time I go for the full three days.

Looking forward to: Whatever Valve has to show. I'm not sure if we'll see anything new, but it can't hurt to hope.

Joethebrave0 on
    Yo dawg, I heard you liek knives, so I put a knife in your knife so you can spy while you spy.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: I was trying to pick out a user name for the Internet Gaming Zone (which was the precursor to MSN Games, but back then I was just looking for a matchmaking service for the Quake 2 demo), but kept coming up with names that were taken. Finally I said "Man, all the good names are taken, why pick one?"

Avatar: My avatar is an avant garde transcendentalist statement about the emptiness that modern man in his quest for antidisestablishmentarianism and his feelings of neo-anachronistic isolation.

PAX attendance: Been to all of them. I was one of the 1337 pre-registerants (literally) of '04. I saw the epic finish to the Omegathon in '05. I was there for Ball in '06. I saw Will Wheaton tell each and every one of us not to be a dick in '07. Last year I was at CCP/White Wolf's this-has-nothing-to-do-with-EVE-Online-but-there's-free-drinks after party. This year? The possibilities are endless.

Looking forward to: Needing a new dresser after getting another half dozen t-shirts. Oh, and I suppose all the gaming is cool too.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: When I was pretty young, I had randomly (or I really can't think of the reason now) changed my msn screen name to Sum1sbaby and I didn't end up changing it for at least a year, and used it for some other SNs as well. Eventually, some of my friends started playing Ragnarok and I decided to join, so I had to think of a name for a character. So the 1 turned into an i and I dropped the rest and there you go.
    (Also, I'm trying to integrate the name Sumi into the name for my design buisness, which creates things that are mostly both grotesque and cute at the same time. If you have any ideas, don't be shy.)

Avatar: Last year I organized a rather large group of people to attend PAX together and needed a way to refer to everyone. So we formed the 8-bit armada, and this was our logo. Also, whenever I Roleplay with the character Sumi, she's usually a pirate.

First time attending PAX?: Nope. this is Pax #4. And they keep getting better every time.

What I'm looking forward to the most: Well the panels and demos are going to be awesome as usual. But to be completely honest, the things I am most excited for are the Pub crawl, and filling my bathtub with ice and liquor again.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: In 2000 I started playing a great game called Myth 2. In this game there was an Order (Bungie's form of a clan) called Final Fantasy. It was a group of really great guys that all used their favorite Final Fantasy character as their screen name. When I got accepted I chose the name Setzer Gabbiani. A few months later FF9 was released and I went to the name Vivi Ornitier because he is the single greatest FF character ever. EVER.

Down the road the group started shortening the name to just VV or sometimes even Vee. After that group fizzled out I wanted to keep Vivi as my screen name, but didn't want to be known by a woman's name so I changed it to Veevee. That was my screen name for pretty much everything including the original xbox live, but after canceling that subscription I was forced to come up with something else when i got my 360, and instead of being a douche and putting a random number or letter on the end I went with Von Vore.

Now, where I came up with Von Vore I'm not certain, but I've been using it as a last name for my characters for a while (at least 5 years) with Veevee being the first name. I believe the way I came to it was that I wanted to stick with the V names, and the best V last names always started with Von, they just do. And wanting to keep the V theme going even further I just sat around, high as a kite, and replaced the first letter of random words with V. I came up to Gore and Vore sounded really nice, so I went with it.

Avatar: Some random Mario I found created out of DS's and when resized to avatar size it became a fuzzy mario so I kept it. I've been meaning to change it for years but I'm just too lazy.

First Time Attending PAX: Last year's pax was my first, so I hope I have a better idea of what I want to do this year.

What I'm looking forward to: CCST and the Triwizard drinking tournament. Damn the convention, the people are where it's at.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: MeeOk. Um, it's my middle name, which I prefer to my first name. Plus it translates to beautiful jade, which I always thought was kinda neat. Depending on what period of my life people know me from, they call me Jade, Mawrry (making fun of my first name, and that asians aren't supposed to be able to say L sounds), or MeeOk.

Avatar: From American McGee's Alice.. it's the Cheshire Cat in case you hadn't figured it out. Also going to be one of the things I get tattooed down my side, in addition to the Mad Hatter, Alice, and probably Tweedle Dee + Tweedle Dum. Not all of it copied from American Mcgee.. I just really love the Cheshire Cat from that game, and I've always found things having to do with insanity fascinating.

First time attending PAX? If no, how many years? PAX '08 was my first convention ever. However, since then, I've also gone to ECCC and volunteered at Sakura-Con. I am probably going to try and volunteer for PAX Prime 2010. This year my 21st B-Day is more important :P

What I'm looking forward to the most: Um, all of it?

MeeOk on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe is so epic! heheh

Name: my name essentially means that I like the internet and I like to roam it. :P Actually it was a product/compilation of several names I've used for awhile, and when I decided that I needed a not-shitty name for the forums and in general, it's what I came up with. It seems to fit me, because I also love travel!

Avatar: I needed one, so I made it! I think it's pretty fitting... The picture in the background is from Fiji. And, DIMD says that apparently the koopatroopa identifies me as a girl, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess it's ok.

First time attending PAX? If no, how many years? I have been a loyal follower since '07.

What I'm looking forward to the most: Pre-PAX events! (Mystery Tour, Dinner, Pub Crawl, ETC!), Hanging out with everyone and meeting new people!!! And playing games, checking out demos and hopefully actually getting to more panels!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Way back in 1989 there was an online game called Orb Wars (see http://www.raphkoster.com/gaming/mudtimeline.shtml for more information). I was an extremely active player of that game with an average monthly online bill of around $400. After one particularly frustrating session, in a bout of self-pity, I changed my character's name to "Stupid". I immediately began winning every match I played. I don't know if it was simply a coincidence or that the moniker was off-putting and made people underestimate me or what, but I enjoyed it. Within a week I petitioned GEnie to change my login to STUPID. I have been using "Stupid" ever since then, but it is commonly taken or considered to be "offensive" and disallowed on many forums and sites. As a result, I have adopted "The Real Stupid" as an alternate appelation, but I prefer the simpler form.

Avatar: I have been actively participating in triathlon since September of 2000. I'm not fast, and I'll never "go long" (i.e. finish an Ironman) but I am consistent. Plus I enjoy the exercise.

First time attending PAX? No. 2008 was my first PAX experience. I did attend several years of E3 shows as part of a major MMO developer's team, so I was at least moderately prepared for PAX madness. I pretty much avoided the show floor and took advantage of the freeplay areas and seminars.

What I'm looking forward to the most: 60+ hours of actual gaming. Thousands of willing and friendly opponents without having to deal with The Internet Dickwad effect. A change of scenery from the usual sunny and warm. Sleeping in past 5AM every day for a whole week.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My handle (the one I use the most anyways) goes way the hell back to my first experience with xbox live. My parents had bought me Halo 2 for doing well on WASL (this would have been late 04, early 05) and I had managed to convince my parents to let me and my brother join XBL. When the time came for a screen name, my brother just told me to pick something. The first thing that poped in my head was QuickStrike but I choes not to go with that name because I didn't want people giving me shit about using a Beast Wars character as my name. So I said "How about QuickSnap?" to which he just groaned and said in a rather dismissive tone "Fine". I would end up using XBL way the hell more than he would so QuickSnap is and has been my name since.

My Avitar changes a from time to time, mostly due to my need to reinvent myself every coupple of months. Most of the time however, it's been my Halo2/3 emblem with the blue and orange (a combonation that I stumbled on by accadent and have been in love with ever since).

First time at PAX? No. This will be my fith year at PAX and my third as an Enforcer. I love every second of what I get to do at PAX and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm most looking forward to PAX itself and the experiences and chalenges that await me there in.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: I have been doing medieval reenactment for almost ten years and my person is a peasant. My real name is Dave.
    Avatar: I was the web-admin for the OldSkooled web comic (my brother was the creator). We both adopted 8-bit versions of ourselves to fit the comic. The icon is an original creation and this adaption of it is for my 2009 button. It is based off of my original 8-bit icon and a picture of me in my garb I used on twitter for a while.
    First time attending PAX? If no, how many years? This will be my third PAX.
    What I'm looking forward to the most: Bringing my brother and girlfriend to the convention and introducing them to all the awesome people I talk to year-round.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: This is the name that I use in Eve Online. I decided upon it specifically because a google search returns endless amounts of garbage links and would therefore make it harder for people to research me (yes, paranoia effects just about every choice in Eve). I registered for the PA forums with my usual handle years ago and have since forgot the password/email address associated with it. When I re-registered to stop lurking on the PAX forums I used this name.
    Avatar: I change my avatar on a whim, usually when I see something iconic or interesting. When PAX approaches I will use my button design so that buttoneers will recognize me.
    First time attending PAX? If no, how many years? I went to PAX '08, so this will be my second year.
    What I'm looking forward to the most: Spending a weekend with thousands of other nerds. Making new friends while waiting in line. The CCST (coast to coast!), Pub Crawl, Twitter meetup, Buttoneering, and other random community events whether they are planned or not. Flopping onto a sumo with my DS and watching the crowds roll by. It's all fantastic.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Came from blog, MaoChan.wordpress.com, that I wrote for 2.5 years and then got sick of. Named after my cat who I adopted knowingly that she was FELV+ and was doomed to die despite being so cute.
    Avatar: Got dual BA's in Japanese Language and Chinese History in college. Always have been fascinated with Mao and the Party.
    First time attending PAX? 2007 was my first.
    What I'm looking forward to the most: Pub crawl, panels, meeting the devs/artists/programmers from all the studios who just want to connect with the fans. Also buttons, lots of buttons.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: I was applying to be an Enforcer, hated my 11 other online handles, and wanted something new and fresh. Liger is short, simple, not taken by any other Enforcers, and it's been my favorite animal since before Napoleon Dynamite made it funny.
    Avatar: Comes from one of my fave comics, BUNNY: The Book of Random. This particular bunny is a stealth ninja pirate paratrooping into battle and listening to Spybreak on its headphones. I wear a ninja bunny hat to match at PAX.
    First time attending PAX? Almost made it as an attendee in '06 but had a wedding the same weekend. Came in '07 ready to Enforce.
    What I'm looking forward to the most: Seeing everyone again! I miss you guys for the other 360 days in the year. Except those Aussie guys. They're nuts. <3

EDIT: Changed my avatar. Eye-shuh made this badass painting of me as Dr. Horrible, so I cropped my face to fit the avatar size.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: The phonetic spelling of my real name. It's just easier that way.

First time attending PAX? Nope. Been attending since 2007. Much easier to get to when they made the big move to WSCTC.

What I'm looking forward to the most: sleeping on Sunday night thinking about the previous four days

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: I'm not really sure how i came up with it, but i've been using it for at least 4 years. It shortens nicely to "prox" for IRC and conversation.

Avatar: Uh... I am Heavy Weapons Guy.

First time attending PAX? Ha! I've been to every single one, though only for Sunday in '04. I was hooked, and I haven't looked back.

Looking forward to most? The community and whatever swag I can manage to get. Hopefully this year I'll be able to be an Enforcer too, so that could be fun.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Blade Fusion is my Xbox Live GamerTag. It is one among a few of my handles. I picked up my Xbox Live package the day it hit the streets. When I got home I needed to come up with a name. I had a couple swords hanging on the wall (Blade) but I felt the name needed some sort of adjective to spice things up. This is where Fusion came in. Then about a year and a half later, Gillette comes out with the Fusion razor, and I never hear the end of it.

Avatar: This is the Techno Viking. Techno VikingHe is all powerful and all knowing. Do not mess with him.

First time at PAX: Last year (2008). It was epic. Possibly the greatest event I have EVER attended. So pumped about coming out again this year.

Looking forward to: PAX 2009. Among many other things of course. Like Half-Life 2 Episode 3 (Where the heck is that thing anyways?

Blade Fusion on
  • Options
    RARGPHLAMRARGPHLAM Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: About four years back on the Weebl's stuff forums, there was an incident where an admin made a moderator account with the name RARGPHLAM and the ability to temp ban, went arround in typing only in caps and talking about devouring souls and such. I liked the incident, so I acquired the name, and since no one else really uses it, win-win. I have other aliases, namely Keldan (a name I made up, turns out the Keld are a nation in MtG).

Avatar: It's a cropped photo of Jim Gaffigan. The very structure of the face is said to be imbued with my meaning and essence. It's also a better picture than my other representative picture, which is of an orangutan... doing something with a pole.

First time at PAX: '06. All hail ball, and all that.

RARGPHLAM on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: It was given to me by my ex, who introduced me to lan parties. When getting ready to order our badges for my very first lan he told me I needed a handle. So since I am very into religious theology I told him to put something about an angel, and he made some comment about me being the most broken angel ever... so he used that XD

Avatar: Mine changes all the time but currently is a cute teeny version of Belial from angel sanctuary.

First time attending PAX? If no, how many years?: Nope, been attending since 06' and have been both an omeganaut and an enforcer!

What I'm looking forward to the most: The people. I love these guys <3

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Bambooza is derived from bamboozled as I desired a unique name for the days of Quake 2. To think any reference to Bambooza by google was a scary realization of how power the search engine was until a night club in the UK took it on as their name and now I see a musician has also taken it on as well. Guess good things get mimic in time.

Avatar: Honestly I have not picked one and have been struggling with one for the button exchange for over a year now... :(

First time at PAX
    : This will be my fifth time at pax from the first time going by myself. Meeting some amazing people Friday morning in the lobby of the hotel and realizing I was home. To last year and overcome by the sheer size of its success in drawing us out of our caves and mothers basements. :P

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    DarcDarc Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Back in 2000, I was offered an admin position on a mud, and wanted something simple and easy to type. Also, I've always had a bit of a dark sense of humor, dry wit, etc, so it fit. I've been using it ever since. Unfortunately, it's pretty common, and so I'll either use my variant (Darcness) or my 90's nick: CaptCovert (stands for Captain Covert, a name I picked up from my first Battle Tech character with the 'Covert operative' as his MOS).

Avatar: It doesn't look quite right on the forums, unfortunately, but it is a fairly sophisticated-looking black and gold fountain pen with the words "This is my sword. En Garde" on it. It was created for me by my wife, who does a lot of graphic design work.

PAX History: This is my first time at PAX (assuming finances allow it). One of my co-workers has worked as an Enforcer, and piqued my interest in the Con. I was not previously a fan of PA at all (I read some of the earlier stuff back in 2002 or so and it didn't suit me. I decided to give it a full on go this time around and love it), and so when I heard PA had a con, I wasn't previously impressed. However, having been at NorWesCon for the past 8 or 9 years and seen it's decline, and being fed proper information from an experienced PAX'r, I started looking into it, and so far, am pleased by what I see. Looking quite forward to seeing you all in Sept!

What I'm looking forward to the most: That's... really hard to say. Open Gaming has always grabbed my interest at most cons (my current gaming friends are not particularly reliable so I end up doing a lot of stuff low-key), but I have a feeling I'll be cherry-picking panels for this.

Darc on
    There are 10 kinds of people; Those who read Binary, and Those who don't.

7Zd22nO.png
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: Nemain is the Celtic battlefield goddess of chaos and panic. Back in college (late 80's) it was my handle on old BBS's. Sometime in the 90's I lost all the info to the main account I was using- since I didn't use real info to back it up, I couldn't remember what I'd said originally to recover access. So I started nemaihne.

Avatar: I keep pet rats. They're wonderful. My husband made me the avatar because I have zero interest in graphic design.

First Time at PAX: Nope. Third time, once prior enforcing and once just hanging.

What I'm looking Forward to Most: Being back with everyone, of course! PAX is like coming home.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: I picked my name back in grade school. I had long been a fan of rock, and had recently been introduced to rap. Already having some nerd characteristics, I chose to combine my rough identity "nerd" with "da" to mock rap culture, which I strongly disliked at the time. For a few years I couldn't think of anything better, and now it's stuck.
    Avatar: I took this picture when I was in Japan. There isn't much graffiti there, that I saw at least, and this was one of those rare sightings. It was also pretty decent and amusing for graffiti, so I took a picture. When I realized I needed a picture for a button, I decided I better have an avatar to associate it with, and I happened to see this one lying around. Hopefully it does not disappoint.
    First time attending PAX? Yes
    What I'm looking forward to the most: So far, the CCST and meeting everyone from the forums.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    teenagerfromarsteenagerfromars Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    @ BrokenAngel: Tri-Cities in the house! I'm originally from Richland, WA, currently living in Chicago, IL.
    staying on topic,
    name: (teenagerfromars) is from a Misfits song that is awesome. And I am from Mars, but I'm not a teenager. But I once was. my gamertag (hammersekks) is from my roommate saying "just type something like hammer-sex and be done with it" because he really wanted to play halo 3 co-op. Then I found out it costs 10 dollars to change it...
    I haven't been able to justify paying that much money, especially considering there are only three people on my friends list who see it on a regular basis. Maybe someday...

avatar: don't have one currently. it would probably be a picture of something.

first time at pax: yes, sir.

what i'm looking forward to most: total sweetness.

teenagerfromars on
  • Options
    Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name:
    Short Story: I knew a few Brits that awarded me a title on a now defunked forum, and I've used a shortened version of the name ever since
    Long story.
    Before I had an Xbox or a 360, and I was really cheap, I used to play the Demo of Halo on my iBook all the time. The main complaint all the players had was the terrible Lag. I thought to my self one time after seeing the message "You were just killed by YOUR MOM," I thought it would be funny to change my name to Lag so that every time I killed someone, it would read "You were just killed by Lag." This was roughly 5 years ago. Two years later I joined a online forum community Team Fremont (This site no longer exists and has been replaced with a site called Robot Panic, but when they changed the name, they dropped the forums all together). As I was still a young teenager, I still thought the name Lag was funny, so I used it as my screen name on the site. I quickly got a "reputation" on the site for my terrible spelling and grammar. It got to the point that I was the butt of many of the jokes on the site (there was less than a 100 members on the site). no jump ahead to Grade 11 (last year) When I wrote an Essay about the forum community and web site and how it had affected me growth into who I am (the former MOD's from the site either clam they had no part in it or that they helped create a monster). Anyways, After handing in said essay, and getting it back, I was shocked to learn that I had received 100% on it and most people that I showed it off to loved it (true story). Well, I guess I skipped an important detail, the day we were assigned the assignment, we were told that we had the one 80 min class to write the entire thing, and it just so happened, they day before, I was listening to one of the two Team Fremont podcasts (both have been replaced by a single show) that challenged any listener to use the phrase "Monkeys Wielding Light sabers" as many times as possible in your written assignment, and it will boost your mark (it turn's out that they weren't full of it after all). Well, I titled my paper "Monkeys Wielding Light sabers" and talked about my interactions with the site while using the line "Monkeys Wielding Light sabers" over and over again. Well after I got the paper back, I sent a copy to the site to prove my feat. as a result, the one MOD gave me the custom title of Sir Lag of Canadia (Did I forget to mention I'm canadian?) since the whole prize t the contest was to be come a "knight" of the forums (I was the second and last knight on the site before the site was changed). Wow, this explanation is really similar to how I wrote the essay...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...well, now that I think about it, it was more of a truish story that was always presented in the first person. I liked the title so much that I've used the shortened form "Sir Lag" on most forums since. If any one is curious enough to read said paper, PM me.
    Avatar: My Avatar is a modified Canadian Flag, that was made to resemble a RROD, it also used to be the old logo to my now defunked podcast (I also hosted a second Podcast that hit the curb, and I'm about to start a 3rd, hopefully this one won't just die after a few episodes)
    First time attending PAX? If no, how many years? This is my first time, I was going to go last year (even had everything set up) but my computer died 3 months before the trip, so I used the money to replace mt computer instead
    What I'm looking forward to the most: Meeting People, both strangers and friends, of whom I've encountered online

Sir_Lag on
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: chibi is Japanese for little (I'm 5'1"), and dani is the first half of my name (Danielle). although, "dani" is some sort of bug in Japanese O.o
    Avatar: I <3 Hello Kitty. I have pictures of 1 year old me on a change table with a Hello Kitty poster on the wall, and I can't recall a time I didn't like her.
    First time attending PAX? Last year was my first, so this is round #2.
    What I'm looking forward to the most: COOKIES! (Shameless plug for the Cookie Brigade)

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aww, but 'little bug' sounds like one of those inexplicable nicknames people give as a term of endearment. :) It's cute.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I agree little bug sounds better. But I think it's even cooler that you have it translated into japanese.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Xtian80Xtian80 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Name: My real name is Christian so Xtian, is sorta like Xmas for Christmas. Anyway one of my friends thought of it years ago and it has stuck ever since. It's pretty much my online identity for everything. The 80 is the year I was born, yeah I'm old I know.

First time attending PAX? Nope been the past 2 years, and since I'm in the military that is pretty impressive that I wouldn't be deployed to the Middle East during the time of PAX.

What I'm looking forward to the most: I think this year I am most looking forward to getting some insight into the video game business. I'm not sure if I want to make games, or test games, or review games, but I do know that I love games and want to do something that has to do with them when I get done with this military thing.

Anyway, I'm not very active posting on these forums, but I search them everyday and in the future I would like to be more active. Hope to see you all at PAX

Xtian80 on