As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you can find the RC on the internet, if you google for it you can find it.

the RC is build 7100, and it is the RC, it says it all over the install when you do it. I have it on my Aspire One and my new Core i7 rig and it runs very nicely, admittedly I haven't tested *too* much with it yet.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm moving soon, so I sold my desktop and have been using my 1000he as my only computer.

I love this little guy!

Fraz on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Got the RC running on my 901. It is running better than I could have ever hoped, even with Aero on.

Gonna take tomorrow, probably, to throw it on my main machine. I have to do the file swapping song and dance to back up all my stuff, and that might take some time. I could also just go buy an external, but we'll see.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I've been rocking XP on my Asus Eee 900HA for a while now, but have decided to put linux on it. I am attempting to put CrunchBangEEE.

I've been using UNetBootIn to try and set up a boot USB. When I go into my bios all I see for boot options is the hard drive, removable devices (which doesn't seem to include USB), and a CD-ROM (not sure what that's about since I don't have a cd-rom plugged in).

Any ideas?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    edit: I lied, I was thinking of a different bios.

Mustachio Jones on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I've been rocking XP on my Asus Eee 900HA for a while now, but have decided to put linux on it. I am attempting to put CrunchBangEEE.

I've been using UNetBootIn to try and set up a boot USB. When I go into my bios all I see for boot options is the hard drive, removable devices (which doesn't seem to include USB), and a CD-ROM (not sure what that's about since I don't have a cd-rom plugged in).

Any ideas?

Don't go into the BIOS. Just hit ESC when the EeePC logo comes up and you should get the boot devices menu.

Daedalus on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had to set the default booting hard drive to USB, I didn't realize USB shows as a hard drive and not a removable device.

Once I did that it worked perfectly. I'm really digging CrunchBang.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Will I be able to install the Win7 RC on this 1000HE without an external optical drive? I don't know a ton about installing new OSs, and I know even less about this netbook I got yesterday

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nowadays you just need an USB drive ;-)

Impersonator on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Use unetbootin, is soooo easy to install Linux with it
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TheFid2 wrote: »
    Will I be able to install the Win7 RC on this 1000HE without an external optical drive? I don't know a ton about installing new OSs, and I know even less about this netbook I got yesterday

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited May 2009
    neat, thanks

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
    edited May 2009
    I can't get it to work. I followed the guide to the letter, except I was using a mounted iso instead of a real DVD. Still, I did everything the same and my Asus won't recognize the USB key as bootable, even if I disable HDD booting from the bios.

I think my desktop recognizes it, though. Wierd. Any ideas? Do I need to burn the image to a disk and use that instead?

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Ha!

Figured it out. You need to specify it in the HDD section of the bios as well

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Alright, now I want to get some of the utilities back on. How can I do that without an external optical drive?

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
    edited May 2009
    aaand solved

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=50071

thanks for the help, thread :P

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • LaviLavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a question on the 1000HE netbook if anyone would be so kind as to answer it, I looked back 2-3 pages but didn't really find an answer.

I plan on ordering it off Amazon tomorrow but I was wondering if the ram upgrade is worth the cost? At most the things I have running are Word + Firefox + IM Service. I know the answer sounds pretty clear by now but one of my friends (badly misinformed I now believe) states I absolutely require it.

I'd rather prefer to use the money I would of spent on the ram on a faster shipping time .

I thought of asking for a second opinion however. I won't be installing Linux or the Win 7 beta.

Thank you for your time.

Lavi on
  • KrayzieKrayzie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dude, think about this clearly.

In two months time would you rather have the permanent boost in performance, or would you be comforted by the fact that you got your netbook three days earlier?

Krayzie on
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I want to buy a netbook for school come this September. Should I wait till July/August to buy it?

I am thinking of the Eee 1000HE, but they are update so much that they might another model in 3 months.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lurk wrote: »
    I want to buy a netbook for school come this September. Should I wait till July/August to buy it?

I am thinking of the Eee 1000HE, but they are update so much that they might another model in 3 months.

If you don't need it now, just wait.

Lavi, just get the RAM. Firefox tends to use a lot of memory. It's also pretty cheap now.

Fraz on
    edited May 2009
    Hmm, I wasn't aware they were updated so often.

I'll be honest and say my interest is piqued. Is the two month wait worth it?

Also where is this information being obtained? Or is it just something the company tends to do every 6 months or so.

Lavi on
    edited May 2009
    RAM through amazon is like $20 more, and it's definitely worth it. Regardless of what you think you'll be using it for, you'll be glad you got it

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
    edited May 2009
    The Nvidia ION platform is set to launch sometime this summer, last I checked, which is the combination of an Atom and a Geforce 8400 mobile.

So, there's that. It probably won't show up on the market in any usable form 'til october at the earliest, so I'd bet by christmas there'll be some ion-based netbooks floating around.

Any hardware revisions until then aren't really going to be worth the money. If you're going for an Eee, go for a 1000HE or a 901.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited May 2009
    I'd more or less agree, there was such a deluge of models from so many companies that I don't think this summer would be a waiting period worth making. Especially with everything having dropped in price within the last year, you might really prefer having the thing a bit early.

Improvolone on
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I appreciate all the information.

I've decided to sleep on it however. The only real thing I decided is on getting a ram upgrade.

I'll ask though, would any summer revision be significantly priced higher than the current HE price? And when a new revision comes out does the company simply drop the previous model thus reducing the possibility of obtaining an HE way cheaper?

Lavi on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Should I post here again now that I'm a 1000HE owner?

:)

Has anyone purchased an optical drive? I am going to buy an LG tomorrow at Best Buy. $99. Could be worse.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Drez wrote: »

Has anyone purchased an optical drive? I am going to buy an LG tomorrow at Best Buy. $99. Could be worse.

How portable do you want the Optical Drive? I use the 360 HD-DVD as an optical drive for netbooks. Keep in mind the 360 HD-DVD needs it's own power supply and doesn't write. On the plus side it's like 50 bucks new.

solsovly on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

How portable do you want the Optical Drive? I use the 360 HD-DVD as an optical drive for netbooks. Keep in mind the 360 HD-DVD needs it's own power supply and doesn't write. On the plus side it's like 50 bucks new.

Holy shit. That works? How? I have one. Bought it when it just marked down to $50.

What do I have to do to get that working?

Buy yeah I do want a portable one anyway. But getting that working would be pretty awesome. Teeeeelllll meeeeeee.

Can you actually watch HD-DVDs on your netbook then?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

Holy shit. That works? How? I have one. Bought it when it just marked down to $50.

What do I have to do to get that working?

Buy yeah I do want a portable one anyway. But getting that working would be pretty awesome. Teeeeelllll meeeeeee.

Can you actually watch HD-DVDs on your netbook then?

Just plug it in, was recognized instantly for my netbook. You'll need software for the HD-DVD. I just posted in the Windows 7 thread asking for more options. It looks like you'll need Total Media Theatre 3 or PowerDVD 7/8 for movies... but I don't think most of the netbooks can handle decoding HD movies very smoothly.

edit: more info about hd-dvd movies on windows xp http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Xbox_360_HD_DVD_Windows_page1.html

solsovly on
    edited May 2009
    Due to the lack of any real graphics processing power, the current generation of netbooks can't really handle anything above standard def. 720p starts stuttering.

Mustachio Jones on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i'm getting pissed that the 1000HE has been #1 for so long. I'm used to [strike]new[/strike] better netbooks getting announced every 2 weeks, darn it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i'm getting pissed that the 1000HE has been #1 for so long. I'm used to [strike]new[/strike] better netbooks getting announced every 2 weeks, darn it.

Asus's touchscreen netbooks are coming out in a couple months.

Daedalus on
  • MeepZeroMeepZero Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I got my 1000HE in today, its currently in my car...so far away from me whilst I finish off the work day.

So I'm making a short list here of stuff to throw on it, I kinda got some ideas from lifehacker and have come to the conclusion that I really want to get one of those fancy touchscreen mods on the ebays.

I think this would turn out to be a pretty fun combination of stuff to put on the thing. What do you guys think?

Also, win 7, whats the current consensus on it on this model? Worth it?
    Also also, this thing has winxp home right? If yes I need to burn that to the ground asap.

MeepZero on
    Aprjs.png
    sig.jpg
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MeepZero wrote: »
    So I got my 1000HE in today, its currently in my car...so far away from me whilst I finish off the work day.

So I'm making a short list here of stuff to throw on it, I kinda got some ideas from lifehacker and have come to the conclusion that I really want to get one of those fancy touchscreen mods on the ebays.

I think this would turn out to be a pretty fun combination of stuff to put on the thing. What do you guys think?

Also, win 7, whats the current consensus on it on this model? Worth it?
    Also also, this thing has winxp home right? If yes I need to burn that to the ground asap.

I actually put Ubuntu 9.04 and Win7 on mine. It's beautiful.

Burn the mother down.

GPIA7R on
  • EriicEriic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, my dad bought me a 1000HD from Target. The processor speed wasn't listed anywhere on the box, so I just assumed it was the 1.6ghz atoms like everything else, but it turned out to be a 900mhz celeron. He paid $380 for it after tax, so we decided to return it and order a 1000HE from amazon for $10 more. Fuck Target.

Eriic on
    ^gerber rep ◕ ◡ ◕ nerdy.us | last.fm | XBL: e5x
    edited May 2009
    Retail stores LOVE selling the non-Atom ones, because the type of people that shop in retail stores don't know better.

Always buy online, Always.

GPIA7R on
    edited May 2009
    Is the HEB (Best Buy) the non-atom? My step-mom insisted on buying one from a store and after talking to the salesman about the differences he never brought that up. He seemed to know his stuff though.

Improvolone on
    edited May 2009
    Never fall for that, they all sound like they know their stuff.

That's how they sell eMachines to people.

HEB is essentially the "new" 1000HA... because it has the N270 CPU, not the new N280 in the HE. The "new" 1000HA is like an HE now because it got a keyboard upgrade. Other than the CPU, there isn't much different between the HE and HA anymore, and honestly the HEB is just the retail version. I'd recommend against it, and suggest the HA if you don't need the slightly beefier CPU in the HE. HA is pretty cheap now

Edit: HEB also does not have the huge battery than the HE has.

GPIA7R on
    edited May 2009
    See, I wouldn't have bought it there, but my step-mom doesn't seem to get the benefit of buying online even if something goes wrong. Hell, she wanted bluetooth and bought the adapter rather than spending less money and buying on-line.
    She wanted a small laptop with a good battery, so even if the processor isn't up to snuff and the battery isn't as good as it could be, shes happy.

Improvolone on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah the 1000HE battery is just awesome. Lasts a good, long time compared to the typical 6-cell.

I know lots of people like that, took some major coercing to get them to finally start buying online. Even my dad now is always getting stuff online now that he knows how easy it is.

... I just buy craploads of stuff 'cause I like getting packages.

Edit: Zipzoomfly has 1000HA for real cheap after rebate, so I hear.

GPIA7R on
This discussion has been closed.