As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WH40K: They made a minature game for Starcraft 2!

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh indeed, thats why hes going in the flamer squad. They can hop out the assault ramp, flame a squad, have Typhus blast out some rot/winds of chaos, and assault.

I am a little worried about the daemon weapon, but his scythe is so damn gross...Did I read the Daemon weapon rules right? Typhus gets 3+1D6 attacks? yet on a 1 he does nothing but take a wound?...so he could in theory get 9 force weapon attacks?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah Daemon weapons are disgusting

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, my Slaanesh lord gets a maximum of 11 attacks on the charge if I roll well. If you read the fine print there's a health warning attached to the Khorne demon weapon, you might break your wrists trying to roll all the attacks you can get.

As for the list, it's probably going to end up being an all or nothing game for you. A lucky shot or two could wipe out a good portion of your army. I'd be tempted to say drop one of the LR and get another squad of troops. The Champion upgrade for your terminators seems like a waste, buy some combi weapons or a power fist instead perhaps. Really though theoryhammer can only take you so far, see if you can proxy it for a game or three and see if you like the way it plays.

As for the modelling side of things, have you seen Forgeworld's Pre-Heresy Land Raider? Being Forgeworld it is both expensive and a pain in the ass to put together, but it looks cool and would fit your theme nicely.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mugginns wrote: »
    Seriously though I've played with proxy army men before.

Only the biggest of neckbeards care.
    Well I dunno about that

When people use the same proxy model for weeks and weeks and weeks because they're either too cheap to buy something (and borrow shit from other people) or too lazy to model something I dunno

I'd prefer to not play against the same "Chaos Land Raider" that is obviously just a shell of a SM land raider with no guns attached, no doors attached, no treads attached, etc for a long time.

One or two times is fine if you're just trying stuff out, but if a dude is proxying all the time I'd prefer to just play people who treat it as a real hobby

I dunno, some of us are just poor too.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh indeed, thats why hes going in the flamer squad. They can hop out the assault ramp, flame a squad, have Typhus blast out some rot/winds of chaos, and assault.

I am a little worried about the daemon weapon, but his scythe is so damn gross...Did I read the Daemon weapon rules right? Typhus gets 3+1D6 attacks? yet on a 1 he does nothing but take a wound?...so he could in theory get 9 force weapon attacks?

Typhus's whole "use a psychic power AND his force weapon in the same turn" rule is freaking ridiculously awesome.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For those interested here's a comparison of the Forgeworld Vulture and the plastic Valkyrie.
    Valkspeaker3.jpg

The sound system in all it's glory. It's time to blast some xenos ear drums.
    Valkspeaker.jpg

The workings. Pretty simple, I just open the back door and operate the shuffle.
    Valkspeaker2.jpg

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If i could receive aid for my army list, as I'm lacking in melee and vehicles, kinda wondering what to get. (I play Eldar)
    HQ~

Autarch [Swooping Wings, Fusion Gun, Mandiblasters, Power Weapon]
    Farseer x 4 [Spirit Stones, Mind War, Fortune, Guide]

Elite~

7 Striking Scorpions [Exarch with Scorpion's Claw, Shadowstrike]
    7 Striking Scorpions [Exarch with Scorpion's Claw, Shadowstrike]
    6 Fire Dragons [Exarch with Dragon's Breath Flamer, Crack Shot, Tank Hunters]
    7 Fire Dragons [Exarch with Firepike, Crack Shot, Tank Hunters]
    5 Howling Banshees [Exarch with Triskele, War Shout, Aerobatic]

Troops~

10 Dire Avengers [Exarch with Diresword and Shuriken pistol, Bladestorm, Defend]
    10 Dire Avengers [Exarch with Diresword and Shimmershield, Bladestorm, Defend]
    17 Pathfinders [Squads of 9 and 8]
    5 Guardian Jetbikes [Shuriken cannon x 1]
    13 Guardians [Bright Lance platform, Warlock w/ conceal and enhance]
    13 Guardians [Eldar Missile Launcher platform, Warlock w/ Conceal and enhance]
    13 Guardians [Eldar Missile Launcher platform, Warlock w/ Conceal and enhance]
    13 Guardians [Star cannon platform, Warlock w/ Conceal and enhance]
    13 Guardians [Scatter Laser platform, Warlock w/ Conceal and enhance]
    12 Guardians [Scatter Laser platform, Warlock w/ Conceal and enhance]
    9 Storm Guardians [2 Fusion Blasters]

Fast Attack ~

3 Shining Spears [Exarch with Power Weapon. Withdraw]
    5 Warp Spiders [Exarch with Power Blades, Withdraw, Surprise Assault]
    9 Swooping Hawks [Exarch with Hawk's Talon, Skyleap, Intercept]
    1 Vyper Jetbike [Star cannon, Holo-fields, Spirit Stones, Star Engines]

Heavy Support ~

Wraithlord [Wraithsword, Eldar Missile Launcher, Star Cannon]
    Wraithlord [Wraithsword, Eldar Missile Launcher, Brightlance]
    5 Dark Reapers [Old Exarch with Shuriken Cannon, Fast Shot, Crack Shot]
    4 Dark Reapers
    Cloudstrike Squadron [Spirit Stones, Holo-Fields, Star Engines]
    Fire prism [Spirit Stones, Holo-fields, Star Engines]
    Firestorm [Spirit Stones, Holo-fields, Star Engines]

In all, it's around 4900 points.

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    More scorpions? Wave serpents?
    I dunno, what points value do you usually play, and what do you usually take?

Dayspring on
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SJ wrote: »
    24 * 2 = 48?

Can we just pretend I said 48 and didn't look like an idiot?

Spherick on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'll give that some thought, haven't gone below the whole army in awhile.

2.5k was the last game i played that wasn't the whole thing.

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If this army list for it is correct i used..

Autarch
    1 Farseer w/ 4 warlocks as bodyguard.

Both scorpion squads.
    Both Fire Dragons
    Both Dire Avengers
    Shining Spears
    The bright lance Wraithlord w/Spirit Seer
    Dark Reapers
    Fire Prism
    Swooping Hawks

Huntera on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hmmm...85 bucks for a Land Raider.

But its pretty cool...the main differences I can see are the smoke stacks and the sponsons. I do like it, but it is really pricey.

But thanks for pointing out the champion upgrade being kind of a wash, I'll drop that, get the points for my second PM squads power fist there. If I drop that second LR, in favor of 2 rhino's, my AT goes down pretty badly....Heres something I'll have ya look at (I don't feel bad about posting so many lists to get picked over after Tim saw the IG book and posted like 5 lists :P)
    Typhus

Terminators [8] (Nurgle, Champion, Reaper)

Plague Marines [7] (Icon, Champion, 2 Flamers, Powerfist)
    Plauge Marines [7] (Icon, Champion, 2 Flamers, Powerfist)
    Plauge Marines [7] (Icon, Champion, 2 Meltaguns, Powerfist)

Defiler

Rhino (Havok Launcher)
    Rhino (Havok Launcher)

Lesser Daemons [7]
    Lesser Daemons [7]
    Greater Deamon

Land Raider (Extra Armor, Pintle TWL Bolter)

Total: 2000 on the nose.

In all honesty, I am liking the raptor list a little better. I just see Rhino's getting toasted quickly. The Havoks and Extra Armor are just there because I had extra points and couldn't fit anything without going to 8 man squads.

It looks good, but...I don't know, I guess I just wanted an excuse to make pre-heresy bikes/jump troopers. I probably still will just for fun, but using them is totally different. I am turn 2 of a Vassal game using the raptor army list (slight variant of the first one I posted), we'll see how it goes.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'd suggest a few more troop choices in there. Jetbikes or wave serpents for last minute objective grabbing.
    I'm off out in a minute but have a look at http://saimhann.blogspot.com/
    Lots of eldar tricks and tactics, mostly Saim Hann themed obviously but some neat stuff in there that may help you out!

You've got a ton of minis though, if you're still looking to expand your collection maybe have a look at a titan or some of the eldar fliers on forgeworld?

edit: @Anon, if you're worried about anti armour you can stick combi meltas on rhinos and teminators for not too many points, which can give you some flexibility.
    Are you basing the terminators off loyalist figures? I ask because you've got them all armed with basic power weapons, and might need to do some converting.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes the terminators will be all loyalist models, with some gnarly converting to make them pre-heresy. I am talking the angled "grey knight-esque" helms, big protruding shoulder pads...I won't be using GK terminators though, as their armor did change over the 10 centuries. Plan on using the standard terminators, and shaving the shit out of their helms, and plasticarding the shoulders on. The bolters might see some work, but its not likely, as they work as is.

I might change the heavy weapon load out though, probably going to get some chaos terminator heavy weapon bits. and just doing a weapon/hand swap.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I'd suggest a few more troop choices in there. Jetbikes or wave serpents for last minute objective grabbing.
    I'm off out in a minute but have a look at http://saimhann.blogspot.com/
    Lots of eldar tricks and tactics, mostly Saim Hann themed obviously but some neat stuff in there that may help you out!

You've got a ton of minis though, if you're still looking to expand your collection maybe have a look at a titan or some of the eldar fliers on forgeworld?

edit: @Anon, if you're worried about anti armour you can stick combi meltas on rhinos and teminators for not too many points, which can give you some flexibility.
    Are you basing the terminators off loyalist figures? I ask because you've got them all armed with basic power weapons, and might need to do some converting.

Thanks, i've been meaning to get an airforce, but forgeworld is super expensive x.x

I'll take a look at the blog though.

Huntera on
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anon, have you looked at who are you going to sacrifice to get your Greater Demon on the table? Right now all I see is a 40pt Terminator or a 63 point Plague Champion.

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For those interested here's a comparison of the Forgeworld Vulture and the plastic Valkyrie.
    Valkspeaker3.jpg

Valkspeaker.jpg

Valkspeaker2.jpg

Very nice. I've got one more song for that Valkyrie though: CCR's "Fortunate Son."

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Valkspeaker3.jpg

Valkspeaker.jpg

Valkspeaker2.jpg

Very nice. I've got one more song for that Valkyrie though: CCR's "Fortunate Son."

I'll add it to my list. Cheers.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It must play 'long tall sally' or else.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Anon, have you looked at who are you going to sacrifice to get your Greater Demon on the table? Right now all I see is a 40pt Terminator or a 63 point Plague Champion.

The greater daemon will come on to the table where he is needed, when he is needed. So either one really, If I am on a objective and get besieged by stuff, I'll gladly drop a 63 point champion for 100 points of melee death. Its not something I just drop into play as soon as I can so my opponent can skirt around it. Its something I'll place in on call, sacrificing what I have to in order to do it. The alternative is to create a 38 point secondary champion in one squad to turn into the greater for a minimal loss.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It must play 'long tall sally' or else.

It already does. Geez.:P

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Just be prepared to have him come out on turn 2 with no good options.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I am dismayed. Perhaps I will drop him then, I really don't like the idea of losing a champion in order for a Greater Daemon to just pop up, loose cover save, and get smoked by big guns.

Unless I am missing something, I mean, I know its a steal for 100 points but I just don't like that idea. Not at all.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Someone talk to me about Rocket Pods on a Valkyrie. Large Blast horde killer, but if there's one thing I have in abundance in my Guard army, it's horde killing. As a 30 point upgrade I don't see it's use. I'd rather keep my Valks cheap and use the two anti-tank missiles. I always need redundant anti-armor stuff.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    They're nice if you're focusing on Air-Cav as the main core of your army, but that's mostly in my eyes to make up for the lack of lasguns you'd otherwise have. I'd stick to AT rockets for the most part.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    They're nice if you're focusing on Air-Cav as the main core of your army, but that's mostly in my eyes to make up for the lack of lasguns you'd otherwise have. I'd stick to AT rockets for the most part.

That's what I figured. If I give them any extra weapons it'll be the heavy bolters just beacuse they look so awesome.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    OK, so my list performed really well. Heres what I ended up running.
    Typhus

Terminators [7] (Chaos Glory, Champion, Reaper AC)

Plague Marines [7] (Icon, Champ, 2 Flamers, Powerfist)
    Plague Marines [7] (Icon, Champ, 2 Meltas, Powerfist)

Lesser Daemons [7]
    Lesser Daemons [7]
    Greater Daemon

Raptors [5] (Nurgle, Meltagun)

Defiler

Land Raider (Pintle TWL bolter)
    Land Raider (Pintle TWL bolter

Total 1994

1 unit of Lesser daemons popped on turn 3, and ran to an objective 12" away from my raptors. A long with the greater Daemon who popped up in my Plague marines with flamers. Terminators came in on turn 4 dropping down onto the firing line I had created, and the other lesser unit came in from my Raptors again, who had fallen back toward the rear objective.

Once I had entrenched my daemons on the objectives, Raptors zipped over and ripped apart the guardians that where going to shoot up my daemons. While my LR's and Defiler dropped heavy weapons on the eldar warwalkers.

He was fielding a lot of light arms which the PM's with FNP mostly ignored, Typhus waltzed into a squad of banshees with his unit of marines, and shredded them (3 template weapons ripped the squad in half, on the assault I rolled a 3 and killed 5 with Typhus alone, the marines finished the squad [took 2 losses, he rolled badly on the wounds]).

Terminators just covered my rear objective and put scattered reaper fire out on the field to deter any troop movements toward it. I really could have used them better, but I needed something to cover rear field, and my options where limited.

I was highly impressed with how it worked really, The raptors could only be wounded on a 6 by most of his melee. I only lost 1 to a bright lance he had in that area, he tried to push on the other 4, rolled 2 wounds, I saved both and obliterated the unit. I don't know how much a full unit of guardians cost, but the Raptors killed 1.5 squads on their own, so I think they earned their points. Lesser Daemons where unimpressive, but then again all they do is hold objectives in my eyes, they did finish the guardian squad that the raptors couldn't finish in one turn.

The Greater went toe to toe with the farseer and nurglified him. The far seer had 2 turns to try and kill it, but only did 6 wounds, and I saved 3. Granted he could have died with just 1 more attack, but point is he didn't. For 100 points to kill a 200 point HQ selection nearly unopposed...I was impressed.

After that play-test I for see a couple of things: a Anti-Tank heavy army will give me no end of trouble, but horde armies should not pose a massive threat (but could still). As long as I can get my troops under cover and spit back bolter fire, my heavy guns (LR's and Defiler's) can sit back and soften them up for the Terminators and Typhus to give some hurt.

It is a "Take all comers" list, there's no doubt about that. But thats what I like to play, the focused armies will have glaring weaknesses, which I can exploit pretty clearly. Assault armies are nothing against the PM's with blight grenades (a slight exaggeration). I think against IG...there will be a lot of shots directed at me, but I'll get double saves against most of it. Pie plates are hard to fight against, but I have...3 things that can blow up tanks in a hurry. Yet that doesn't seem like enough.

First think I'll be making after I finish my 2k in conversions will be a pre-Heresy Havok squad, using IG weapons. Oh and which is more effective against things like IG armor? Vindicator? or Predator?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The valks don't pack the anti-tank missiles, they carry the ones that ignore cover. the 30 point upgrade is to fire 2 str 4 pie plates every turn while also firing a multilaser and moving 12". They're pretty nastry, truth be told.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tim... I have said this so many times... and meant it more each time.

You are a glorious bastard

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The valks don't pack the anti-tank missiles, they carry the ones that ignore cover. the 30 point upgrade is to fire 2 str 4 pie plates every turn while also firing a multilaser and moving 12". They're pretty nastry, truth be told.

Valkyries come with two Hellstrike Missiles that are 1 shot, 72" range strength 8 AP 3 weapons and can be replaced with to two Multipe Rocket Pods for 30 points.

The Vulture can replace two of it's twin-linked lascannons for two Hellfire Missiles which are 72" strength 4 AP 5, large blast weapons that ignore cover for free.

I agree with you about how to use the missile pods. Unless I'm running an all air cav list I'd rather have my Valks cheaper and give them sponson heavy bolters for laughs. Giving a whole squadron heavy bolters costs the same as giving one missile pods.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's a lot of bolters.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That's a lot of bolters.

That's 6 heavy bolters for 30 points firing at a single target if they're in a squadron. Kick in the Multi-lasers and that's 18 heavy bolter shells and 9 multilasers going into one unit. For 30 points that's a pretty big increase in fire power especially after the Valks drop the Hellstrikes on the first or second turn they show up.

In comparison a you get two rocket pods for 30 points. Granted they are large blast so you should be getting compareable number of hits, but the Heavy Bolters have better strength and ap. If I was fighting tons of orks or little nids I'd take pods. However if I was fighting Orks I'd probably take Vendettas and give them Hellfury Missiles to counter the KFF the mek is sure to have. (That would work, correct?)

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    So, I was looking over the Apoc update from FW. I am just slightly confused, I've never used anything out of FW's line so I don't know how it operates but:

The Deathclaw drop pod rules stipulate its a flyer and its fluff bit says it can go and pick more guys up. So! can it? I mean if I use say a deathclaw to drop a squad of marines, can it fly off, pick up another squad and move them? I am also going to inquire at my LGS about apoc games, cause I might buy a lucas pattern warhound to field as a chaos warhound, cause they look great (and only cost some 750 points?).

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So, I was looking over the Apoc update from FW. I am just slightly confused, I've never used anything out of FW's line so I don't know how it operates but:

The Deathclaw drop pod rules stipulate its a flyer and its fluff bit says it can go and pick more guys up. So! can it? I mean if I use say a deathclaw to drop a squad of marines, can it fly off, pick up another squad and move them? I am also going to inquire at my LGS about apoc games, cause I might buy a lucas pattern warhound to field as a chaos warhound, cause they look great (and only cost some 750 points?).

FW sells chaos Titans, FYI.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, its for my pre-heresy, why would a fully pre-heresy converted army be fielding a defiled titan? no no, they would be fielding a rustic, Warhound. Controlled by Horus loyalists.

(I thought about the chaos one, but scraping off all those chaos emblems seems counter intuitive to buying a Lucas pattern, and painting it Death Guard colors. Some one correct me if the warhounds where not available during the Heresy, I think they are, but I could very well be wrong.)

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, its for my pre-heresy, why would a fully pre-heresy converted army be fielding a defiled titan? no no, they would be fielding a rustic, Warhound. Controlled by Horus loyalists.

(I thought about the chaos one, but scraping off all those chaos emblems seems counter intuitive to buying a Lucas pattern, and painting it Death Guard colors. Some one correct me if the warhounds where not available during the Heresy, I think they are, but I could very well be wrong.)

Oh, I forgot you were doing pre heresy

That would be pretty sweet though.

Also, don't paint it marine colors. Marines didn't have Titans. It would belong to a Titan Legion.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Adeptus Mechanicus Fuckheads.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ... which control the Titan Legions :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Doesn't make them any less of a bunch of Void Dragon worshiping fuckheads.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So wait, no pre-heresy titans?

If thats the case, I guess I'll be going the big gnarly daemon route. Although I hate the unclean one (that sculpt is ugly in my opinion), I'll have to make up some kind of substitute. I thought they had access to them, I remember something from Dark Adeptus (Ben Counter) about the titans defending the emperors palace.

Anon the Felon on
This discussion has been closed.