As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Dead Redemption

• Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really enjoyed RDR, even though I only played it through once. This game was one of the best out-of-the-blue rental ideas I've had (though first place goes to Earth Defense Force 2017). I always thought the intro was badass. It really sets you in for the visual and audio style that really worked.

Wee Intro!

I'll be happy to go through another romp with Red again. Though it goes without saying...
    They should explain what happened to Jack after the ending. I can't remember exactly, but I do believe that he mysteriously disappeared.

Also..
    And we need a Warriors sequel

We need one so, so bad.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Frosty wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption features an open-world environment for players to explore, including frontier towns, rolling prairies teeming with wildlife, and perilous mountain passes - each packed with an endless flow of varied distractions

Wild west GTA? Yes please.

Eh, Red Dead COULD have benefitted from a more open world, I think, but I hope that they don't litterally make GTA:WW.

Red Dead Revolver is maybe the only Rockstar game that I've ever been a HUGE fan of.

Evander on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The into is definitely one of my all-time faves.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll be happy to go through another romp with Red again. Though it goes without saying...
    They should explain what happened to Jack after the ending. I can't remember exactly, but I do believe that he mysteriously disappeared.

Also..

We need one so, so bad.

Re: Jack
    When Red asks Annie of Jack's whereabouts, she just silently shakes her head.
    From Wikipedia. Though I had to clean up the spelling and grammar.

And how exactly do they make a sequel to The Warriors? It was creative enough with the background stories and pre-movie levels, but there's really not much else you can do with the property.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I never got to play RDR, but I always wanted to. Wikipedia says it's compatible with the 360, but that it freezes during a certain segment. Anyone know if it's a rare occurence?

Am I the only one who still has his oXbox so I can avoid all of this ...?

I still have mine, but I don't wanna drag it out of the closet if it works on the 360.

And it seems to work fine. I just want to know about that freezing incident.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

Also..

We need one so, so bad.

And how exactly do they make a sequel to The Warriors? It was creative enough with the background stories and pre-movie levels, but there's really not much else you can do with the property.

Its really quite easy, you just do an imaginary story that doesn't involve them crossing the city but involves them increasing the power of their gang or rebuilding it or you even make a modern version that shows the Warriors of the 21st century though I prefer the brawling to guns aspect.

DarkWarrior on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I loved the multiplayer of this game - I always used the marshall or whoever the guy with the explosive shoot was. Just point in general direction of the target, use your special, BAANNG, recharge it instantly, repeat.

Revolver duells were also great fun, especially with 4 guys.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Also..

We need one so, so bad.

Its really quite easy, you just do an imaginary story that doesn't involve them crossing the city but involves them increasing the power of their gang or rebuilding it or you even make a modern version that shows the Warriors of the 21st century though I prefer the brawling to guns aspect.

They already did that. It was called GTA: San Andreas.

I just don't think there is a convenient way to artificially extend the movie in such a way.

Basically, two things:
    Swan seemed pretty disenchanted about the whole thing and seemed to suggest that with Cleon gone, he'd just as soon leave the gang behind.

The Warriors gang itself didn't need rebuilding. There were more than nine of them. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been invited. (The Orphans had no more than thirty and they hadn't even heard about the meeting.)

Hey, I'd like to see a sequel, but I'd doubt it could be done very well at all. Likely we'll just see a tie-in game with the remake coming up.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    edited May 2009
    30 minutes and no response? I'm surprised. The trailer is really impressive.

Renzo on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, it is. I'm currently playing GUN, and it looks like Wolfenstein by comparison.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited May 2009
    I kind of miss the spaghetti western movie feel from the first one.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nah, it's very, very impressive, and I'm suitably excited. I just got intimidated by all the lunatics who thought Gun was a better game than RDR #1.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, I'm kind of surprised they're making a sequel to this. I loved Red Dead Revolver, but never thought they'd follow up with another entry. Wasn't this series originally part of Capcom's "big three" or something, alongside RE4 and Killer 7, for the GameCube?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited May 2009
    GUN was better, if only because you could wander around and do shit. Red Dead Revolver had hub levels, but no travel. You were pretty much stuck within whichever level you were doing at the time. RDR1 was good, but not quite as good. RDR2 looks to expand on the first one and perhaps evolve on the promise that Activision teased with GUN.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2009
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I quit the first game as soon as you got to play as the "stealthy" Native American. I died a lot.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This looks rather good. Really liking that trailer, and may have to watch it a couple more times.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That trailer is pretty cool. Now I'm interested in this.

Nimble Cat on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I will probably be buying this game. I don't want to go overboard on the hyperbole here but that trailer interested me to the point where I might consider reading more into this game and putting mindshare into their product. I mean, that's a step below 'DAY ONE OMG' but still pretty high up the hype list of reactions.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2009
    Gun was staggeringly easy, hopelessly over-reliant on gore and repetitive. An open world is pointless if every mission in it is as boring as the next. They didn't change or affect anything. RDR had direction, had a massive cast of characters, all of whom were appealing, had some sharp writing, was genuinely funny and was a blast to try and do well on. Gun was mediocre in comparison. Cowboys is cowboys - I wouldn't mind a sequel to Gun either. God knows there's far too few Western-themed games. But I wouldn't be nearly as excited for that.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

edited May 2009
    As I said earlier, I'm playing through GUN right now. What exactly can you "do" in the game? The overworld is about as large as in Twilight Princess (maybe smaller), and most side missions basically amount to the exact same thing, with very little payoff. Whenever something cool is introduced, like the hunts, they are extremely clumsily executed, just like the rest of the game.

There are plenty of things to like about GUN, but I'd hardly call the open-world aspect successful in any sense of the word. Structurally, it shows lots of potential, sure, but there's hardly anything to it as is.

Cherrn on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    God fucking damn it why does it have to be a Rockstar game

I'm gonna end up buying the PC port and it's gonna be ass

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited May 2009
    So? I liked GUN more. I like that it had more promise. I liked that I could just roam the world and it felt like being in the Old West. You think it's boring? Don't fucking play it then. GUN is disappointing because there was so much that could've been done that simply wasn't. RDR was just a series of loosely connected missions leading inexorably to one ending with absolutely nothing else to do. Ever.

And you know what? From looking at the trailer and other info about RDR2, they're abandoning the design of the first RDR and implementing more of the GUN style open world. Somebody must've done something right. Either that or it was inevitable that a Rockstar game would move to an open world design...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If the following scenario isn't possible, I'm going to be very disappointed in Rockstar.

I want to be able to get fucking plastered at the saloon. Get a BJ from some harlot. Punch out the piano player and start a bar room brawl. Stumble out into the dusty street, then shoot some poor passerby off of his horse. Steal the horse, then ride drunkly out into the sunset.

Yeah.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    If the following scenario isn't possible, I'm going to be very disappointed in Rockstar.

I want to be able to get fucking plastered at the saloon. Get a BJ from some harlot. Punch out the piano player and start a bar room brawl. Stumble out into the dusty street, then shoot some poor passerby off of his horse. Steal the horse, then ride drunkly out into the sunset.

Yeah.

If the bar room brawls are not as over the top as they are in the western movies, complete with dozens of people fistfighting, glasses and bottles being thrown everywhere, stools and chairs being used as weapons, people thrown into tables, and dragging people along the bar before tossing them out the window, I will be very sad

But knowing Rockstar, they'll put so much detail into every facet of the barfight that after a while you won't even give a shit anymore

Also they'll poorly optimize their engine and the horse you're riding will spawn more often

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yeah.

And have your friends sending you telegrams all the time wanting to hang out?

Pemulis on
  • MerceMerce Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Great trailer...could have used some of the music from the first game, but still exciting stuff. I'm nitpicking, but the music should be more upbeat...I can't get excited about a Banjo that refuses to delight. Regardless, great trailer.

Still hoping they go a little campy with it, and not simply GTA: Lawless West. I want a sheriffs posse, I want to feel like someone around these here parts actually has some badassery to them. I want a rowdy saloon (seriously, if they sit around gingerly sipping whisky and commenting on the weather, I'll bust a seam).

Merce on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would like to be able to go to a saloon and drink, without having to arrange a man-date with someone else in my posse or whatever.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited May 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    I would like to be able to go to a saloon and drink, without having to arrange a man-date with someone else in my posse or whatever.

I don't know... Think about it. You'll receive the invite via carrier pigeon. And when you turn them down, the pigeon shits on your shoulder. Pretty soon everybody in town begins to shun you because you're covered in pigeon shit and you can't clean it up until you accept an invite.

Innovation!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nah, it's very, very impressive, and I'm suitably excited. I just got intimidated by all the lunatics who thought Gun was a better game than RDR #1.

Well it's fair to like one more than the other - really, Gun had great art design, score and scope, and RDR had tighter shooting a big dose of Sergio Leone style. Personally I'm a Gun man, but I'm still happy to have RDR on my shelf.

Anyway - RDRedemption looks, to me, like GUN 2.0. They seem to have eschewed the bombastic design of the original RDR and are leaning more on the Unforgiven / Young Guns / Tombstone school of westerns. Which ain't bad at all. I wonder if that's the RAGE engine? Looks pretty - I'm sure it will get a purchase from me.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, I... didn't play Gun. Because it was boring. :P

Seriously, it was very telling it became the favourite of the GameFAQs crowd, and from all their comments I read it was pretty much just because GTA WIT COWBOYS WHOOOOO, AW FUCK YEAH I SHOT THAT GUY IN TEH HED AN HIS BRAAAAAAiN COME OUT WHOOOO, etc, etc.

But if RDR #2 does go open-world and does fill it with actual things to do and still keeps the general challenge along with that knowing, twisted, lunatic sort of music-hall camp the first game had, hey, I'm not going to complain. I just don't think Neversoft have ever been much to look up to in that regard.

Eight Rooks on

edited May 2009
    You went and read comments on GameFAQs... You're doing it wrong.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited May 2009
    All I ever saw were gameplay videos of GUN and it looked pretty awful

Plus I heard it was really short too which shouldn't happen in an open world game sooooo

Never played Red Dead Revolver

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited May 2009
    GUN's problem is that it's just janky. It has lots of cool ideas, a fairly interesting story, some great voice acting, but the actual game is of considerably moderate to low quality on pretty much all fronts.

That said, it never gets frustrating, and it can be pretty fun. The open world is more of a novelty, and doesn't really add anything significant to the game, but it does make it stand out, and, as has been said several times, shows lots of potential. I don't know if Rockstar could learn anything from GUN, considering they've pretty much got the open world structure down by now, but the game did at least prove that it can be a really good fit for a Western setting.

Cherrn on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    trailer is making me want to go watch 3:10 to yuma.

Never played the original, but this one just crash landed on my radar due to that sweet trailer.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am really pumped for this game. I loved the first one and I love Rockstar's engine and GTAIV. The trailer is great.

This is going to be awesome.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited May 2009
    You guys realize this is Rockstar San Diego, right? Not Rockstar North?

Dusda on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dusda wrote: »

What gave it away? Was it the giant ROCK STAR SANDIEGO lettering in the trailer we all just saw? I think it was perhaps too subtle.

The_Scarab on
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »
    What gave it away? Was it the giant ROCK STAR SANDIEGO lettering in the trailer we all just saw? I think it was perhaps too subtle.
    I dunno. Given by how people above were talking about it, I almost felt I needed to do a double take on the title of the game. Turns out it's not GTA: Revolver Stories.

Dusda on