As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Could someone clue me in on the whole respawn at event featuer that was added? I seem to remember them patching in a 'restart' function only I can't seem to work out where the heck it is.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Could someone clue me in on the whole respawn at event featuer that was added? I seem to remember them patching in a 'restart' function only I can't seem to work out where the heck it is.

It's under the easy drive menu. Hit right on your D-pad or numpad. It will show up mid-race as the only option, or it will show up as the 4th or so option after you fail an event. You can't do it after a showtime though.

Also, Peewi, friend invite pending. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I shall add ye Peewi, when I get round to doing so. Alternatively you may add me : 9mmBullet. Been playing too many other games because the prices have been slashed all over :^:

I do wish they included a chat window. I always prefer text over voice to be honest.

Big Isy: It's the Quick menu, it should be 4th option down "Restart Last Event".

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Online name: Athenor. Should've said that earlier.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just found my very last smash. It doesn't look like there's a lot of stuff left for me to do in single player. Just getting all the showtime road rules, smashing all the billboards and doing all the super jumps.

I also see that there's something in the game called Power Parking, but I have no idea how to do that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Just found my very last smash. It doesn't look like there's a lot of stuff left for me to do in single player. Just getting all the showtime road rules, smashing all the billboards and doing all the super jumps.

I also see that there's something in the game called Power Parking, but I have no idea how to do that.

Pretty much driving along a road and using your handbrake to park yourself between two other parked vehicles. It's annoying, but not too difficult to get with practice.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am very terrible at power parking.

They activated Cops and Robbers for PS3. I bought it and have been cruising Paradise City offline in the PCPD Tempesti. I can't connect to the Paradise servers so I haven't been able to play online yet.

One thing I wish they would add to Cops and Robbers is an offline mode. I don't mind playing online when things go well, but sometimes the online community of any game really gets under my skin and I wish I could just take it offline and ignore them. I'd love to play C&R with bots.

And completely unrelated to the above: I'm supposed to be shutting down the Revenge right now, but I can't get it to spawn. I've been driving around for over an hour and haven't seen it once. Usually when I have an active car to shut down it appears within 5 minutes of starting the game.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Athenor wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

It's under the easy drive menu. Hit right on your D-pad or numpad. It will show up mid-race as the only option, or it will show up as the 4th or so option after you fail an event. You can't do it after a showtime though.

Also, Peewi, friend invite pending. :D

Ah, I figured as much thanks! I was looking for it outside of an event thinking it might be a sort of 'go to....' feature. Silly me. o_O

As for power parking, I managed to get 100% pretty easily and have done it a couple of times.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    man criterion is really charging out the ass for this stuff now huh

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have a feeling that the pricing is all EA mandated. They are money grubbing whores. The fact that the Cagney Pack and the Bike Pack were both free indicates to me that Criterion's free updates got high-jacked by EA's greed.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i mean all this stuff seems like it should be half the price that it is for me to even consider buying it. i'll buy the new island but $10 for online cops and robbers, or $8 for a couple cars or whatever is bullshit.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just like Microsoft's control over Halo DLC, Bungie has a tradition of making the last map pack free when a new one comes out but it seems like Microsoft thought that was bad business because it hasn't happened with the legendary map pack yet and they've said there are no plans to make it free either.

The mythic map pack has also apparently been finished since around last november but was held back by Microsoft so it could be included with the Halo Wars LE, general release was in march.

It sucks, but developers don't always have that much control over the pricing or release dates of their DLC.

I'll probably skip cops and robbers, the only DLC i bought so far has been the legendary cars, i'll definitely get big surf island though.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    £8 for fucking 2 Boost cars, fuck EA.

I also hate DLC which separates players, case in point, Halo 3 and its bullshit playlists requiring DLC maps, I just wanted to try the big matches! >=(
    Can't wait for Cops n Robbers separating me from the online group or something :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Airan wrote: »

The Hawker mech is the only car in the boost pack worth getting. And it's SO worth getting. That car is awesome.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

The Hawker mech is the only car in the boost pack worth getting. And it's SO worth getting. That car is awesome.

Between that and the 88 Special, I don't need anything else.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Between that and the 88 Special, I don't need anything else.

Yeah, I restarted my save from scratch and I have been blowing through the C, B, and A class licenses with the Mech the 88 special. Kind of feels like cheating, but I've done it all before, I'm just redoing it for trophies, and I can't be bothered doing it with the slow as shit cars again. Those 2 cars make the beginning tolerable after having fast cars for so long.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The slow as shit cars are actually faster now.

And for whoever was wondering about liveries, you get gold for everything except the carbon cars by hitting Elite. You get a platinum finish for Criterion Elite, which is Elite plus road rules and collectibles.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've been eyeing the 'unlock all cars' thing on PSN, but I keep talking myself out of it telling myself to stop being lazy and actually unlock the cars myself. But, after doing it (mostly) once already, I don't really feel like it. Does buying it do anything detrimental, like void trophies or anything?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't appear that the PC version has the ability to buy individual cars, for the record. We're all or nothing.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hah!

After letting my roommate play Paradise for 3 hours last night, he broke down and got it for his 360. He does't have live, though, so don't worry about adding my gamertag (which is unsurprisingly Athenor).

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It doesn't appear that the PC version has the ability to buy individual cars, for the record. We're all or nothing.

It's worth buying the Legendary Cars pack for the 88 special alone, same with buying the Boost pack for the Hawker mech. I might be exaggerating, but I love those cars.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It's worth buying the Legendary Cars pack for the 88 special alone, same with buying the Boost pack for the Hawker mech. I might be exaggerating, but I love those cars.

The problem is that I feel dirty driving the 88 special, as I still haven't beaten the lion's share of road rules stuff and those cars will set new records in a heartbeat.

Athenor on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

The problem is that I feel dirty driving the 88 special, as I still haven't beaten the lion's share of road rules stuff and those cars will set new records in a heartbeat.

That was a brief bit of fun we just had, but I forgot to plug in my usb mic before I started.

I especially liked how I took you down so many times it seemed like I should have gone instead. I think the Carbon Hawker wins.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Eh, that's a point. I don't feel bad as I've done most of it before, and I'm restarting my save for trophies. I wouldn't wait to do all road rules and stuff before getting these cars though. Personally I'd just go for the Burnout license before I bought a car pack or two - I find road rules to be little rewards for just driving around aimlessly well, not something to strive for, in which case what car I use doesn't matter. But that's just me.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

That was a brief bit of fun we just had, but I forgot to plug in my usb mic before I started.

I especially liked how I took you down so many times it seemed like I should have gone instead. I think the Carbon Hawker wins.

that was actually my roommate, who wanted to try out the 88 special. And yes, we learned it doesn't win against other cars, but for some reason it drives away from any non-player crash.

Oh my god I wish more people took the time to fix their fucking mics.

Edit: I got the Burnout license before buying the legendaries. I'm debating the Boost specials now, but I want to see how long it takes for the Cops & Robbers to come out first.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh shit cops and robbers is out tonight. I kept forgetting. Hmmm, I wonder if I can get away with buying that and Force Unleashed without getting in trouble.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So is the DLC any good?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I shall add ye Peewi, when I get round to doing so. Alternatively you may add me : 9mmBullet. Been playing too many other games because the prices have been slashed all over :^:

I have added you to my list. I've also accepted Athenor.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    People need to add me, I think my name's Wavefront on PC. I should probably check, though. Either it's Wavefront or Senshibot, lemme confirm a little later.

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    People need to add me, I think my name's Wavefront on PC. I should probably check, though. Either it's Wavefront or Senshibot, lemme confirm a little later.

Earlier in the thread you said it was Senshibot and I've had a pending friend request for that name for quite a while. I've also sent you a friend request on Steam that you haven't reacted to. Your Steam profile does show that you haven't been online in 22 days, though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cops and Robbers is actually a lot of fun. I just played my first game and it was a blast. I was on the Robbers team and we won. Yay!

Edit: As a follow-up thought, I just got the trophy for winning a game as the R-Turbo Roadster. This is a pretty hard achievement to get because the car is a piece of crap. Its just plain awful. The whole time I was driving it, I felt like I wasn't really contributing to my team. Its so slow that even chasing down the gold can be challenging. But I got it. So I never have to do that again.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Now that we're friends, Peewi, I can feel completely and wholly inadequate when it comes to Road Rules. Thanks! :D

Luckily how the ticker works makes a ton more sense now.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't pay attention to online road rules at all. Maybe I will after I've finished all the showtime road rules.

Edit: Athenor, you should update your sig. The Steam sigs moved to http://www.steamcalculator.com/ a while ago.

Peewi on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Now that we're friends, Peewi, I can feel completely and wholly inadequate when it comes to Road Rules. Thanks! :D

Luckily how the ticker works makes a ton more sense now.

I'm hurt. I smashed all yours way before Peewi.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't pay attention to online road rules at all. Maybe I will after I've finished all the showtime road rules.

Edit: Athenor, you should update your sig. The Steam sigs moved to http://www.steamcalculator.com/ a while ago.

Eh, the online ones just show who has the best time in your circle of friends. And no, I wasn't paying the most attention. There are records for the session (the "day") as well as overall. Kinda nifty, actually.

Athenor on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dang it! I went to buy Paradise the last night and accidentally grabbed the original instead of Ultimate Box and made it home before I realized my error. Dang it. Still, the game seems great so far.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's okay. All you'll need to do is download a few updates. Other than that, the only difference between the two is Party mode and by all accounts, it's a fairly dull addition.

Joystiq has put up a glowing review of Cops & Robbers. They've called it Paradise's first must-have premium DLC, for all of you still sitting on the fence.

I like the fact that even if you don't own the DLC, you can enter a game with others playing it. You could turn the course of the game without even knowing it.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    WOO! 100% complete! Now I have platinum cars. Maybe I should see if I can also get 100% with bikes.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    WOO! 100% complete! Now I have platinum cars. Maybe I should see if I can also get 100% with bikes.

It's incredi-easy. I hope they add something to the bikes in a future update. Riding a bike is a blast but sadly, there isn't much to do.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

It's incredi-easy. I hope they add something to the bikes in a future update. Riding a bike is a blast but sadly, there isn't much to do.

I really wish that there were bike races. I can understand why there aren't stunt runs and road rages for bikes, but I don't understand why there couldn't be races.

Peewi on