As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Seattle Dungeons & Dragons

2»

• AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Isha's always welcome where August is concerned, you know that ^_^

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Augustus wrote: »
    Isha's always welcome where August is concerned, you know that ^_^

Woot! Also, I didn't know you moved to Tacoma! That's awesome! Welcome to almost the promised land. About a half hour out from the promised land (with good traffic) but still counts. :)
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Can I be in on Augustus' group too? I had thought this died but apparently it was a private party. :p

ours will be better.

That's because it's US. I mean, come on. We're more than awesome.

eye-shuh on
  • The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    proXimity wrote: »
    I was talking with one of my very good friends the other day, and he told me he's started up his own "side business" DMing D&D games for interested parties.

He is *awesome* and has been running games for years. And, I've been trying to get into one of his games for about the same time. Little did I know, all I had to do was throw a little cash at him!

He's charging $7/person per session (a few hours/session). He comes very highly regarded and knows the ins and outs of D&D almost to the point of insane obsession.

If I can get 4-5 people (ish) together, we can form a group! Do any of you want to join me?!?! AND help support my friend's burgeoning new business attempt?

(PS: do I get bonus points for using the word "burgeoning?!")

...paying for D&D? wtf

I have to quote this just for sheer WTFery. Who the hell charges people to game? That deserves a stripping of all geek cred right there.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • dovirstrgndovirstrgn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The DIMD wrote: »

You know what? I would be pleased to play or DM a 4E Tomb of Horrors. Dungeon crawls are what the new system was built for. I think the intersection of new crap and old crap might just create something unexpectedly great!

dovirstrgn on
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was talking with one of my very good friends the other day, and he told me he's started up his own "side business" DMing D&D games for interested parties.

He is *awesome* and has been running games for years. And, I've been trying to get into one of his games for about the same time. Little did I know, all I had to do was throw a little cash at him!

He's charging $7/person per session (a few hours/session). He comes very highly regarded and knows the ins and outs of D&D almost to the point of insane obsession.

If I can get 4-5 people (ish) together, we can form a group! Do any of you want to join me?!?! AND help support my friend's burgeoning new business attempt?

...paying for D&D? wtf

I have to quote this just for sheer WTFery. Who the hell charges people to game? That deserves a stripping of all geek cred right there.

well, think what you like. He needs a way to make money, he loves D&D and I think it's a good idea. It's much better and more worth it than other forms of entertainment. If you've got a good group of people and can play all the time, then that's much better. He runs games for people who have never played or need a good DM to start them out, I think that's reasonable. So, for those of us (me) who never get invited to games and don't know how to play, I think it's kind of cool to have some kind of D&D mentor.

Certainly nothing to be losing "geek cred" over. He believes that you should do what you love, and if you can make a job out of it, then even better. If anything, he should be respected for trying to do something that he loves doing and making a way for himself. At the very least, I don't think it's fair to be so harsh.

MetaverseNomad on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I see it like this.

People want to play D&D. Very few people want to DM. There is a demand with short supply. Thus, if people are willing to pay him a moderate amount to supply, more power to him.

I wouldn't pay for a DM, personally, but I'm not going to rag on the guy for giving people what they wanted and walking away with a few bucks for it.

Houn on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know people who are paid to DM, but it isn't something I'd be interested in. If I'm playing I don't want to feel like a burden on the DM (nor do I want to spend money on anything beyond pizza etc.), and if I'm running the demand for payment insinuates that I'm doing this not because I want to but because I'm being paid to. Not saying it can't work, just something I don't think could ever work for me.

Oh yes, +1 Capitol Hill D&D'er.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited May 2009

...paying for D&D? wtf

well, think what you like. He needs a way to make money, he loves D&D and I think it's a good idea. It's much better and more worth it than other forms of entertainment. If you've got a good group of people and can play all the time, then that's much better. He runs games for people who have never played or need a good DM to start them out, I think that's reasonable. So, for those of us (me) who never get invited to games and don't know how to play, I think it's kind of cool to have some kind of D&D mentor.

Certainly nothing to be losing "geek cred" over. He believes that you should do what you love, and if you can make a job out of it, then even better. If anything, he should be respected for trying to do something that he loves doing and making a way for himself. At the very least, I don't think it's fair to be so harsh.

I'm sorry Meta I didn't mean to upset you :oops:

I was mostly teasing with the geek cred comment, but I do think its a bit weird to charge someone to play a game with them. It would be like me expecting people to pay me to play monopoly with them, it just makes absolutely no sense to me. If there are that many people that don't have a group why don't they just make their own and not be out the $7 each per session? Which if you play like my groups used to would cost a small fortune!

BrokenAngel on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

...paying for D&D? wtf

I'm sorry Meta I didn't mean to upset you :oops:

I was mostly teasing with the geek cred comment, but I do think its a bit weird to charge someone to play a game with them. It would be like me expecting people to pay me to play monopoly with them, it just makes absolutely no sense to me. If there are that many people that don't have a group why don't they just make their own and not be out the $7 each per session? Which if you play like my groups used to would cost a small fortune!

Again, no one wants to DM. It's hard work, takes up spare time all week, and if things are going well, you "lose" from a mechanics standpoint. Most people don't have the creativity or desire to do it. So, if you have a group of players, and no one is willing to DM, then paying one isn't such a big deal.

Houn on
    edited May 2009
    I actually really enjoy running games so long as I have a good set of players. It takes more effort but it also has more payoff, a well-run game is remarkably satisfying.

*edit* I think, for clarity, I don't see anything wrong morally or otherwise with paying a DM, it just strikes me as a situation ripe for all sorts of disasters or drama and I wouldn't want any part of it. I'm sure some people are paid or pay for games and it all works out just fine. My specific perspective would likely change if I was unemployed and people would pay me to DM games.

Anyways,
    D&D? In Seattle? You don't say!

PotatoNinja on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Again, no one wants to DM. It's hard work, takes up spare time all week, and if things are going well, you "lose" from a mechanics standpoint. Most people don't have the creativity or desire to do it. So, if you have a group of players, and no one is willing to DM, then paying one isn't such a big deal.

Obligatory:
    20090304.jpg

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited May 2009
    I absolutely LOVE DMing, as do many people I have played with... we had to take turns ;P

I didn't know there were so many people against it o.O It's SO FUN! And there is no "losing". I always WANT the players to do well.

BrokenAngel on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I ever make it out to Seattle for an extended period of time, I promise to DM for as many people as possible. This is not a rag on the other guy. I'm just saying that I like playing DnD. :)

PeasantDave on
    edited May 2009
    no, it's ok BA!! *HUG* I've just had a really terrible day (year so far) so I'm a little edgy...

Also, it could just be that I know the guy and know that he's really good at DMing. If somebody told me to pay $7 to some random dude I'd never met to DM a game for me to play in, I'd be pretty suspicious too.

In any case, I just want to friggin' play! It's been so long, I don't even remember why it's so much fun anymore! :cry:

MetaverseNomad on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey Nomad, if he wants to sell his services, he should offer free "sample sessions", short, maybe only a couple hours. That's a perfect way to get people hooked (starting a story), plus people aren't throwing their money at something completely unknown.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, this thread suddenly got a lot bigger. Uhm, if another one or two people want to join I think that's okay. Also, I wouldn't mind playing either, so.. Augustus, lemme know if....?

MeeOk on
    edited May 2009
    Hey Nomad, if he wants to sell his services, he should offer free "sample sessions", short, maybe only a couple hours. That's a perfect way to get people hooked (starting a story), plus people aren't throwing their money at something completely unknown.

I was actually thinking that same thing, I'll tell him about it next time I see him.

MetaverseNomad on
    edited May 2009
    Isn't there some kind of D&D game day or event coming up soon? Could be a good reason / excuse to get local forumers together.

PotatoNinja on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Isn't there some kind of D&D game day or event coming up soon? Could be a good reason / excuse to get local forumers together.

It's 2 weeks from today. I had a great time at the one last year at my FLGS.

SlickShughes on
    edited May 2009

I talked with my friend today, he told me that he does this already; he agrees the first session should always be free. Either he forgot to explain the details to me, or I just wasn't listening..

MetaverseNomad on
  • AugustusAugustus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Everyone who wants in, message me on IRC or on Facebook. Meeok, you're always welcome. You were there in one of my darkest hours, you're always welcome in my book ^_^

Augustus on
    I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For those around Redmond we play 4th D&D at Games & Gizmos on the Second Saturday of every month check out Seattle Mob Muster @ http://mobmuster.guildsites.org/

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can also check out some good sites that have options to 'find a group' and such like http://www.penandpapergames.com/, or hop over the the forum that meets all your tabletop needs for some quick edumacation on DnD http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37.

On another side note, I also live in the Seattle area and could potentially enjoy a game depending on the time. Shoot me a PM if there is still space/need for more players and you aren't meeting in Pierce county, since I live in Lynnwood.

REG Rysk on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just came to realization that my apartment is settled enough, that I could host a tabletop game there. I'm up for just hosting on maybe a bi-weekly basis, or hosting and running. I would be up for some D&D, M&M, or some NWoD! I don't have any M&M books, and I've never run it, but if somebody else has, and does, that'd be excellent too.

MeeOk on
  • PAX_RPGA_CoordinatorPAX_RPGA_Coordinator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A ton of local D&D players show up each year in the RPGA area. We have tons of stuff going on... from a 1 hour quick dungeon crawl, to a make a Forgotten Realms PC and enter a living campaign. It's a great way to casually get back into gaming.

More details at:
    http://www.warhorn.org/PAX2009/

And:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lfrx/welcome

We are always looking for volunteers, too. We give out shirts, WotC Books and Minis, and free admission to PAX.

If you are looking for resources for local home games, try searching Yahoo Groups and Meet Up for gaming groups in Seattle.

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
    PAX Prime Senior GM since 2007
This discussion has been closed.