As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E] Sins of the Past (Game Thread)

cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Critical Failures
Sins of the Past (formerly The Tariff of Relkingham), a Dungeons & Dragons (4E) adventure for six eighth level characters

----

Having defeated the vizier of Delornen and relieved the empire of its drought, our intreprid adventurers begin their search for the Gelid, a creature thought to be a myth. Their first goal: find the prison that once held the creature. Little do they know what problems such a simple task will cause...

----

The Party:

Stormwind - Reed Trueheart, Halfling Rogue
Mr_Rose- Georgh, Dragonborn Avenger of Bahamut
Omega2112 - Vengar Lightbringer, Human Paladin/Cleric of Bahamut
Saurfang- Raad Amantahd, Dragonborn Warlord
Jebu - Yaneth Kantar, Drow Invoker of Corellon
Hayasa - Chaffie Barnstone, Human Warden

----

The Specifics

This is a PbP game. I am your DM. Sheets are on myth-weavers. Dice rolls are on invisiblecastle. For now, this is a combined OOC/IC thread. Post OOC discussions/comments/questions/etc in spoilers to avoid clutter and confusion. If it ends up being a hassle, I'll go ahead and split this into two threads, but I think this will help keep the game moving (plus its easier for me to only keep track of one thread).

I expect each of you to post at least once a day (except on weekends) when you're able. If you'll be away for an extended period of time, let me know so that I can make arrangements to keep the game moving while you're gone (or postpone it if the majority of the party is unavailable). I'm a reasonable person, and I won't kick you out for missing posts here and there. That being said, if you flake consistently you'll be removed from the party.

--

My primary objective here is for us all to have fun. If you're not having fun for some reason, please let me know. Alright, now that that's all out of the way, let's go roll some dice!

cytorak on

• cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Prologue:

After decimating your competition in an over-the-top, "they'll never show that again" gladiatorial competition against 24 other combatants (including a sad robot and a Shaman Wrestler from the 1980's) in a spooky place that exists outside of time (apparently), your party have been deposited by an extraplanar entity outside the port town of Relkingham. Before going back to his radical arena, he leaves you a scroll with the following written on it:

The empire of Delornen's seat of power is the small government town of Wyllea, where Founder Neelani, the leader of this land, resides in her palace. The leader of Delornen is chosen by Erathis, who sends visions to the chosen leader to help guide the current high priest. The high priest of Erathis and vizier to Founder Neelani is Avonathemon, an elderly priest with a large and mysterious support base. Rumors abound of corruption in his ranks, but none of them have ever been substantiated.

Although Wyllea is the governmental seat, the real power and wealth is in Relkingham, as it sits on a land bridge between two large continents. Avonathemon has recently announced that Erathis wishes to impose a sacrifice tariff. This tariff would require that those wishing to cross the land bridge must make a sacrifice. Smaller groups, or those sending small contingents, are expected to sacrifice the hands or eyes of those who cross. Larger groups with bigger stakes must bring human sacrifices to the temple of Erathis.

The vizier claims that by pleasing Erathis with these sacrifices, he can bring rain to end the terrible drought that has gone on in the empire all summer. Many are skeptical of this because of the peace-loving nature of Erathis, but no one wants to argue with the holiest person in the land.

Unsurprisingly, the announcement of this policy has sent ripples through the sleepy town of Relkingham, an easygoing, albeit decadent, port town of merchants and sailors. The citizens have already sent a group to Founder Neelani that attempted to express their distaste for this policy. Founder Neelani said she would consider their request, but it has been a month and she has sent no word of her ruling.

In the time since the announcement, increasing reports of brigands and Vecnite cult activities have come to the light. Citizens have trickled into the town missing eyes and hands, unable to speak of what happened to them.

It would be in the best interest of your group to seek out Mayor Joren of Relkingham to discuss the situation.

Cheers!

D. E. Mac

Sundown is rapidly approaching, and the glow of the freshly-lit lanterns of Relkingham beckons.
    Mysterious forces brought you together for the greater good...and go!

cytorak on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Randolph ran a hand through his graying hair, scratching himself idly as his gaze came to rest on Relkingham before them. "Ah, the infamous Relkingham at last...I confess I thought it'd be bigger, perhaps a tad more intimidating to look at with all these rumors of divesting folks of hands and eyes."

A jolly chuckle shook the Kordite Shifter as he put left foot in front of right, "Oh well. I'm sure it won't be too boring."

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lightly balanced on her feet, standing over the smoking wreck of a strange metal man, Farashiel pivots smoothly, looking for more targets. Definitely the strangest creature I've ever slain. I wonder if he... it? Even had a soul to send to my Lady. No matter, there are still a few... what is that?

The gladiatorial arena she couldn't explain fell away around her, and a shimmer of light blinded her momentarily. The next coherent thought she had was where the hell am I now?

She found herself standing on a road overlooking a bustling port town. In the fading light, her elven eyes can easily discern her friends standing there. Reed, always well dressed with a rapier slung at his side; Vengar with all that incredibly cumbersome plate armor carrying a blade like hers, only his shone like the sun; Randolph, their cleric of Kord; Jebu, with her paired icons of Lloth and Corellon; and lastly Chaffie, in perpetual need of a comb.

Before she can wonder at any length as to how they all came to be assembled here, she notices a fluttering scroll of parchment on the path. She would have ignored it if not for her Lady's clarion voice ringing in her head, something she hadn't heard since the last night before she left the Temple. She could not understand the words, but at the same time she could clearly understand their intent. It seems that there is work to be done.

Unconsciously lifting her hand to stroke the obsidian feather hanging around her neck, she looks around and sets off down the path toward town, falling into step beside Randolph.
    Edit: Wow, talk about being dropped right in the thick of it. Hello everyone =) I look forward to playing with you all. I think this group will work well together! Hayasa, you might want to grab a shield or something though, hehe; you're a defender and have the worst AC of all of us >.>

Oh, and I almost forgot;
    Roll to see if we win the game: (1d20=5) Yikes, doesn't look too good for us =)

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure if we were supposed to take Cytorak's opening entirely seriously. I mean, wasn't the premise supposed to be that we'd been adventuring with each other since level 5? I remember that being mentioned >_>

I mean, I'd thought that idea was there specifically so we WOULDN'T be introducing ourselves to each otehr at the start. :lol:

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    You know, you're right; if that's the case, I can pretty easily edit my opener there =)

Rius on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would definitely rather cut straight into being overfamiliar.

PS. Having low AC is my metagame taunt. DMs can't resist attacking the defender when its easier than hitting anyone else in the party/

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Post edited =) Damn, now I wish it wasn't Friday, hehe.

Rius on
  • stormwindstormwind Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The halfling brushes an errant strand out of his hair, and bowes to the priestess of the Raven Queen.

"Reed Trueheart, at your service. Quite good with a blade, if I say so myself, and also quite handy at relieving the unwary of their valuables."

He turns to the shifter, and agrees, "Aye, I think a group like us invites action. Mark my words: trouble'll follow us, no matter where we go."

The halfling chuckles and looks to his fellows for someone to take the lead.

stormwind on
    edited May 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I'm not sure if we were supposed to take Cytorak's opening entirely seriously. I mean, wasn't the premise supposed to be that we'd been adventuring with each other since level 5? I remember that being mentioned >_>

I mean, I'd thought that idea was there specifically so we WOULDN'T be introducing ourselves to each otehr at the start. :lol:
    Well, since everyone was saying my gladiator idea would take weeks, I thought it would be funny to make it last a few seconds before the actual adventure started. Mission...accomplished?

Anyway, I edited the Prologue slightly to reflect you guys actually knowing one another.

I think you should leave your post as is Stormwind. Then everyone else can be all "Duh, we know you're name. We've been adventuring together for months!" :lol:

Edit: I know I kind of messed up the timing by posting on a Friday. We'll let our Paladin and Invoker chime in before we set upon the adventure.

cytorak on
    edited May 2009
    Randolph chuckled at Reed, "It's a good thing you're practicing that introduction with us. As your editor, it occurs to me that informing people that you can rob them makes them switch to "wary" in a hurry."

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    cytorak wrote: »
    Anyway, I edited the Prologue slightly to reflect you guys actually knowing one another.

I think you should leave your post as is Stormwind. Then everyone else can be all "Duh, we know you're name. We've been adventuring together for months!" :lol:
    It fits, too, cuz Reed's really vain.

stormwind on
    edited May 2009
    cytorak wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Well, since everyone was saying my gladiator idea would take weeks, I thought it would be funny to make it last a few seconds before the actual adventure started. Mission...accomplished?

Alas, I have already changed it =P Well, if we've been adventuring for months, we need a group name. And we can't just ignore this like the Legacies and Figgy-KotS groups have. So, suggestions! Let's figure this out before Monday, shall we? =)

I nominate "Cool Kids Use Fullblades, Inc"

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    "You wound me, friend. 'Rob' is such a harsh word, and I'd only liberate goods from those more fortunate and less honorable than myself."
    Reed grins cheekily, and leans against a rocky outcrop. He begins flipping a coin between his knuckles.

stormwind on
    edited May 2009
    Observing his bravado, Farashiel takes the opportunity to tease Reed a little, smiling a little to soften the blow.

"Come now, Reed. I could see a case being made for more fortunate marks being out there, but less honorable? That one's a little hard to see!"

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    Randolph gave an exaggerated wince at the blow to Reed's honor.

"Ouch. A mortal verbal blow has been dealt I fear. Lets walk and talk though eh? Or walk and verbally spar, whichever floats your boats. Darkness fast approaches and sleeping Mayors tell no tales!"

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    Upon her return from the arena, Chaffie lands with a thud. As usual, she's been in the thick of the fight, being the easy target, this time doing her best against a horde of some of the most relentless and aggressive opposition that she's ever faced. Even now, she has bruises and open cuts still healing over, thanks to Randolph's divine interventions. Maybe she should get a shield.

Getting to her feet, Chaffie quietly steps up behind Reed and puts a gentle hand on his shoulder "You wouldn't try and rob us though, would you, Reed? I'd hate to think we weren't friends."

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited May 2009
    "Farashiel, my honor shall not be impugned by jealous elven priests."
    The halfling drew his rapier and shadow-fenced, weaving exaggerated patterns in the air.
    He then turns to the warden, smiling impishly.
    "Chaffie, of course not; you don't have anything valuable to steal!"

stormwind on
  • Omega2112Omega2112 GW2 AKA: Robocow, Veristia Reaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As he stood over a gladiator who he simply knocked out instead of killing, Vengar saw a flash of light then suddenly rematerialized with his comrades outside a port town. Frowning, he sighs and speaks softly, "Fighting to kill for sport brings no honor." As he looks into the distance, he listens to the conversation and then looks at Reed and says simply, "At least all my equipment is too heavy for you to steal."

Omega2112 on
  • JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yaneth murmurs a quiet prayer to Corellon for surviving another successful fight, her eyes already focused on the lights ahead. The scroll had disturbed her, its words filled with incongruities and contradictions. The sacrifices required by the high priest seemed more in keeping with a servant of the dark gods rather than a follower of Erathis.

Yaneth glances at the halfling for a moment, a glimmer of a smile on her lips. The little one was good for entertainment if nothing else. Fairly skilled with a blade as well, though she hadn't expected it when she had first met him. "It would be best if you would keep your sticky fingers out of my bags, Reed. I learned more than a few things about how to repay thieves in the Underdark."

Jebu on
    edited May 2009
    Further scruffing up Reed's hair with one hand, Chaffie add to Yaneth's warning. "Given that the local price of safe passage is the loss of a hand, when it comes to harsh treatment, the Underdark would struggle to keep up with Relkingham. We probably don't even want to consider what they do to accidental borrowers here."

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Reed suddenly sobers, and turns toward the town.
    "Aye. I question what sort of goddess demands a tax of flesh, and what path brought about her priest's decree."
    His normally soft features harden into a glare.

stormwind on
    edited May 2009
    Chaffie decides to be tactful by not speculating on the whims of the gods while in the presence of four priests. "Enough of that for now, I think. The day is short and we haven't even organised our lodgings yet."

She joins the others in moving on to Relkingham, quickly catching up with Randolph with a friendly arm around his shoulders as they walk. "Thanks for your help back in the arena, Randy, that was a close thing with that sour-faced old dwarf! You be sure to thank Kord for me, y'hear?"
    Group name suggestions

The Blessed Blades
    Six Swords a-Striking

Both fairly weak, I know.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited May 2009
    As you make your way into Relkingham, the city begins to wind its day down. Vendors are closing up their shops, and citizens begin making their way to their homes or to a bustling tavern, "The Gilded Chimera."

Across the street from the tavern, sits a regal building that bears a plaque reading "Town Hall." Their is a small sign hanging on the door that reads, "Closed for business. Will reopen in the morning."

cytorak on
    edited May 2009
    Reed follows along, his momentary anger replaced by the typical playfulness.

"I found myself dueling this fellow who had swords coming out of his skin. Quite disconcerting when a man parries your blade with his elbow, let me tell you."

Noticing the sign on the town hall, Reed snorts.
    "A government that closes! That's a handy feature."
    I'm gonna be gone for most of the day, guys. I might be able to post again tonight, but it doesn't look likely.

Also, edited because cytorak posted.

stormwind on
    edited May 2009
    "Well bollocks. I suppose that puts our priorities in order for us. Tavern now, Mayor tomorrow." Randolph gave a great shrug as his typical, easy-going smile manifested.

"It's probably for the best. My throat for one is dry from the dust of the arena!" he boomed jovially as he made his way to the Chimera's door, losing no time in finding entry.

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    "Does that mean the city falls into anarchy every night?" says Farashiel with a chuckle. "Let us seek lodgings for the night, then. We may even be in luck; the tavern across the street there might be a favored watering hole of government workers."
    No worries about not posting tonight or tomorrow, Stormwind. I'm surprised we've even gotten this much in on a late friday night/early saturday morning; I guess everyone's just eager to play =)

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    Yaneth sighs, rubbing her forehead as her holy symbols jangle together. She had hoped they would finish their business in the town quickly; the unnecessary delay grates on her nerves. She turns to the tavern and grimaces. "Another dump that we have to sleep in. It should be called The Gilded Rathole."

Jebu on
    edited May 2009
    While her friends discuss matters, Chaffie quickly and quietly slips into The Gilded Chimera, making a bee-line for the landlord with two gold pieces in hand to make sure that she gets the best room in the house.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited May 2009
    The Gilded Chimera is anything but a rathole. It's obvious that this establishment is the pride and joy of Relkingham. Two hearths with roaring fires anchor the east and west ends of the dining area. A Warforged bard is playing a strange song by the edge of the eastern hearth. Near the western hearth, a spiral staircase leads up to presumably the sleeping and bathing rooms. On the far wall, a tapestry hangs depicting a tall human slaying a golden chimera. There are five large tables and all but one are filled to the brim with a variety of patrons, eating, drinking, and having a grand old time. Each table has a small round candle in the middle that acts almost like a mini-sunrod, only not quite as bright.

The landlord is a short and wiry human, and he greets Chaffie with a smile. "I'll secure a large private room for you, madam. Softest bed in Delornen! You'll have your own private bath; let me or one of the girls know when you need hot water. Also, the room comes with snacks, so ring the bell on the nightstand. I think this week we have fresh blackberries and some fine hard cheeses. Might be able to rustle up some corn cakes as well, if you prefer."

A conveniently empty table awaits your party. Even before you are completely seated, a bugbear waitress brusquely slams menus down on the table and smiles. "We got trout stuffed with mushrooms and cheese, succotash, and flatbread for dinner. 2 gold. Booze is 1 gold a glass or 5 for the bottle. Holler when you want to order." With that succinct spiel, she wanders off to take care of her other tables.

cytorak on
    edited May 2009
    Randolph gives their darker skinned companion a not-so-subtle look of bemusement, "Rathole eh? Well I for one have to say that I like everything that's hit my ears since we've stepped inside! Stuffed trout...snacks...corn cakes. Clearly this place is a blessed retreat for weary warriors!"

As his laughter subsides, the Shifter steals a glance around the room with a furrowed brow. "The more I see of this place though the more it feels off. This place seems too...cheery to be exacting tolls of hands and eyes."

Shrugging his shoulders he waited for his companions to be seated with him. "That's humans for you I suppose though."

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    Yaneth shrugs, disdain still evident on her face as she walks through the tavern. "Something is going on here, Randolph. Keep your eyes open." She walks to the nearby empty table, takes a few gold pieces out of her bag, and places them on the table. "Get some cheese and wine for me. I'm going to have a look around."

She walks over to the tapestry on the far wall and studies it, feeling a nagging sense that she recognizes it from somewhere.

Jebu on
    edited May 2009
    As he sits down, the quiet Vengar finally begins to speak, "Ale would make the end of the world a cheery occasion." Contemplating the situation, Vengar speaks softly to his friends, "It would be wise of us to get plenty of rest... tomorrow is going to be a long and difficult day. We ought to investigate and see if there are any government workers here before they become too inebriated."

Taking Yaneth's coin, he calls out to the waitress, "Madam, would you be so kind as to get us some wine and cheese please?"

Omega2112 on
    edited May 2009
    "Too much drink is a peril to be avoided, but there's no such thing as too much food! I'm going to have some of that trout. A lot of that trout, actually but that's neither here nor there."

Randolph grinned to himself, rubbing his hands together. If Kord didn't place so much exercise in his path, he would have undoubtedly become a very rotund Shifter by now.

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    The tapestry depicts a scene in this world that would be reminiscent of Hercules vs. the Nimean lion: a larger-than- life hero (Warst) fighting a beast that's fantastical, even in this magic-infused world (a chimera with skin made of gold).

cytorak on
    edited May 2009
    "Randolph, dear friend, could you spare a coin for a starving friend?"
    The halfling winks, and shows his pockets turned out and empty.
    "No worries, I'll just best some of the locals at cards, and pay you back this very night!"

stormwind on
    edited May 2009
    "Pfah!" he grunted as he tossed a small purse Reeds way. "I don't expect to ever see that again but you never know, maybe I'll get lucky. Try not to draw the attention of too many debt collectors."

Fiaryn on
    edited May 2009
    Pulling a couple gold coins out of his pouch, Vengar stands up and walks over to the landlord. "I'd like a nice room, close to the staircase if possible. Also..." He glances over at the other customers, "Walking in, I noticed that this fine establishment is across from the town hall. I was wondering if the hall's employees often frequent this place. My companions and I have important business to conduct in this city."

Omega2112 on
    edited May 2009
    Chaffie gives the landlord and prizewinners smile as she hands her money over to the landlord. "Thank you so much. Could you have one the girls have some hot water up there for me in about an hour, please?"

After the landlord confirms her request, Chaffie heads over to the table her friends are sitting at, trying to make sure that she's not sitting too close to Randolph while he's eating. "No-one start any fights, OK? I've already paid for my room."

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Farashiel sits at the empty table with the others and listens to the chatter around the room for a few moments, as well as the bugbear waitress describing the fare. A bugbear waitress? Interesting choice, though I'll admit it probably cuts down on the heavy petting.

As she's walking away, Fara calls out to her.

"I'll have the trout, keep the succotash but bring extra flatbread. And a glass of whatever to go with it, something smooth."

Leaning back in her chair, she listens to the back-and-forth between her friends. Nodding at one point, she looks at Randolph;

"You're right, these people are far too cheery when you consider what we've been told about this city. Maybe they're just trying stick their heads in the sand?"
    This would be a perception check, but I rolled under my passive so there ya go.

Rius on
    edited May 2009
    Pocketing the purse and bowing to Randolph, Reed retrieves a few dice from his pack and attempts to gather a few patrons for a game.
    What kind of roll do I need to make to have the dice come up my way? They're not loaded or anything.

stormwind on