As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

50 Cent vs. "We swear it's not the Middle East" is dumb mothafuckin' fun, mothafucka!

167891012»

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Oh god I just watched that Smack Talk video. So hilarious.

I love how wads of money just FLY INTO YOU when you kill someone.

Seriously, this is better than the button to fist-pound in Army of Two. Can you play same-screen coop? :D

No local co-op that I can figure out.

Yeah, just searched and everywhere seems to be saying that as well.

What the fucking shit, isn't this using the Unreal 3 engine? You know, the one that powered Gears of War? What's their excuse for cutting splitscreen?

Fuck you developers. Fuuuuuuuuuuck you. :x

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They didn't want to compromise their artistic vision by trying to scrunch the game into half the screen.

xzzy on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It struggles sometimes anyway. Like, textures that have already loaded will become blurry for fucking ages after a death/reload.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fiddy don't share the screen with no one.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    I'd consider renting if there was a Gentleman Rhymer taunt pack.

"You there! Your mother was of questionable virtue!"

Yeah, I do think that they missed a great opportunity for extras which took the game less seriously.

If they had this and it was out on Steam, I'd be hard pressed not to buy it.

Especially if it had, say, the voice of an older gentlemen with an English accent saying these things out of Fiddy's head.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Psh. Fiddy ain't sharing no Diamond Skull with no one. He ain't killin' a bunch o' foos just to have to split the prize with someone else. What good is half a Diamond Skull? Might as well make an ashtray outta it.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I knew this would happen. Fuck it. I'm so getting this and I'm going party like it's my birthday!

RichardTauber on
    edited March 2009
    Spoiler alert.

20090313.jpg

cloudeagle on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    I've been playing it for a week or so. It's fun.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also, the game apparently has a cuss button. There's a fantastic use of a license if I've ever seen one.
    Not only that, but you get bonus points for using it after killing someone.

GAME
    OF
    THE
    YEAR

MOTHERFUCKERS

Fixed.

Also, fuck you guys for making me want this game.

Seriously, fuck you guys. This game has been the butt of so many jokes for so many months, and now people are turning around and saying it's actually worth buying? Christ, even Tycho is enjoying it. It doesn't seem like a Tycho game. But there you are!
    Apparently cuss buttons unite people. And really, how could they not?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You do realise that this is a game about a misogynistic Rapper in the middle east killing terrorists to get back a bloody crystal skull he was promised in order to pay for a concert and its a sequel to a game that was awful. There was about as much chance of this being a quality game as Shaq-fu

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like how you capitalized rapper.

That's pretty cute.

august on
  • LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shaq-fu, eh?

Tell me more.

Legba on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why would fiddy even be having a concert in the middle east?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why would fiddy even be having a concert in the middle east?

He was promised US$10-million in cash... Now, fiddy is a lot of things... But never let it be said that he refuses cold hard cash.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You do realise that this is a game about a misogynistic Rapper in the middle east killing terrorists to get back a bloody crystal skull he was promised in order to pay for a concert and its a sequel to a game that was awful. There was about as much chance of this being a quality game as Shaq-fu

You shut your filthy mouth! Shaq-fu was a masterpiece!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I played this, and it's pretty good. Kind of short, but fun while it lasts.

If you want to improve on the experience, join someone in co-op and play as Yayo, use the taunt button liberally, and play Thoughts of a Predicate Felon off your 360 as an alternate soundtrack.

Seriously, what would you rather play while laying waste to a city full of mercenaries? Disco Inferno, or Live By The Gun?

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

You shut your filthy mouth! Shaq-fu was a masterpiece!
    Shaq-Fu had pretty phenomenal animation, especially for the time. The gameplay was only average. But it was as spectacularly bad as everyone made it out to be. It looks like Blood in the Sand is going to be remembered in a similar fashion (i.e. a decent licensed game with a terrible repuation)

FreddyD on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lets not go crazy, shaq-fu was a fucking terrible game. Michael Jordans one was better.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    So, did you play this game? You're one of the very few, then.
    Better reviews don't seem to be helping 50 Cent's newest video game.

Despite earning higher review scores than 2005's 50 Cent Bulletproof, February's Blood on the Sand has sold an estimated 56,000 copies in the U.S. between its February launch and early April.

Its predecessor did far better.

In its first two months of release in the fall of 2005, Bulletproof sold 681,000 copies, en route to life-to-date sales of 1,123,000 units, according to NPD.

The original game had a Metacritic score of 47; the new game has a 71 and has been described as a guilty pleasure on some of the top gaming podcasts and review sites.

It was obvious that something was wrong with Blood on the Sand's sales when THQ failed to hype the game's performance in its earnings report earlier this week.

50 Cent may not be as popular as he was in the middle of the decade, but he's by no means faded to obscurity. A drop-off this steep outpaces even the decline in the rapper's recent album sales. His 2005 album The Massacre sold 1.14 million copies in its first week, according to SoundScan, the group that tracks music sales in the U.S.. His 2007 follow-up, Curtis, sold 691,000 units in its first week, a big decline, but not a calamity.

There were stark differences between the two games. Bulletproof came out in the fall season and put 50 in an urban setting that was supposed to be inspired by what he raps about. Blood on the Sand was out in the winter and was more exotic, transporting 50 to a pseudo-Iraq where he needed to reclaim a stolen jeweled skull. Both games were released against tough competition.

How does a game considered by critics to be better than its predecessor and starring a celebrity fail to pull in bigger numbers?

One must at least look back to publisher Activision's decision to unload Blood on the Sand following its merger with Vivendi, the original publisher for the game. If Activision recognized some fatal flaw in Blood on the Sand, back then, fans of the other former Vivendi games let go by Activision – Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend , Wet— better hope Activision wasn't right about them as well.

THQ did not respond to Kotaku's request for comment about the performance of Blood on the Sand by press time.

http://kotaku.com/5245761/50-cents-new-game-selling-112th-of-his-first-one

cloudeagle on
    edited May 2009
    Wow, THQ must be in some serious trouble.

LewieP on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    yeah, but it almost sounds like the game's performance could very well be tightly correlated to this 'Fifty Cents' character. and, doesn't sound like he is quite as popular.

They may have been better off releasing it without the celebrity tie-in.

TyrantCow on
    edited May 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    They may have been better off releasing it without the celebrity tie-in.

I like that idea.

LewieP on
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The game is better because of the celebrity tie-in. This will be a cult classic in a couple of years, just wait and see.

RichardTauber on
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You mean a sequel to a shitty game didn't do as well as it's predecessor? Shocking!

Seriously though, I feel slightly bad about for the developer. It seemed like they genuinely tried harder to improve the game. At the very least they seemed willing to go way WAY left field with it.

SmokeScreen on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I know that I would not have played it at all if it hadn't been a 50 Cent game. In fact, I might not have liked it as much, even.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!