As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Annual Post-PAX Party Dinner. THANK YOU ALL FOR AN AMAZING PARTY!

• ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm in! Last year was a blast ^.^

ACC3SS on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    Jesus christ, you San Antonio's keep multipling.

They are like taco trucks, you see one and then next thing you know you got a lowrider vato convention on your front lawn.

MaoChan on
  • ValasharValashar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Count me in for this.

Valashar on
    edited April 2009
    Valashar wrote: »
    Count me in for this.

Looks like we have 2 now for the lowrider vato convention on redhalo's lawn.

MaoChan on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    Valashar wrote: »
    Count me in for this.

Looks like we have 2 now for the lowrider vato convention on redhalo's lawn.

I warn you, my lawn is small. Down here, we measure by lowrider's on cinder blocks...and I'm only good for 1 1/4 lowriders.

redhalo on
  • dovirstrgndovirstrgn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Now, I'm not knocking the Pre-PAX Dinner. Even though, as an outsider to the group that has attended them for several years now, I found that I did not really enjoy last year's very much, it is a noble enterprise and I wish everyone at it the very best. However, I like the idea of a post-PAX get-together so much more!

I mean, really: we are all familiar with Great Weekend Withdrawal. A nice little event like this is like a good cool-down and stretch after a hard workout: it should help your ecstatic activity create the muscle of good memories, instead of the tight, cramping soreness of nostalgia and regret.

Okay, the simile's a little strained. Still, I am all for it. This thread? I got my eye on it.

dovirstrgn on
  • paradoxicalparadoxical Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This sounds like fun count myself and my other in.

paradoxical on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    Poll added, as requested.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SmallLady + 3 for post pax din dins

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • PinderPinder Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This sounds nothing less than awesome. I'm in, plus some people maybe if I can wrangle them into going possibly.

Pinder on
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks, Moe.

It looks like $20-$25 is going to be the clear winner, which is about what I expected.

I might have a neat idea in store for you folks. I'm working on it now, and I should have something more concrete to post in the next few days. Can't give it away yet, that wouldn't be any fun.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Put me down on the list, with a possable +1 since my dad may want to come as well. I'm not sure though.

Brex123 on
    edited May 2009
    Brex and his +1 makes 50 people. Congratulations, everyone!

Arco on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ack, actually I shouldn't have voted, I'm skipping out of town on Monday =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I believe the plan is for the dinner to be Sunday evening anyway?

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited May 2009
    Oh! I'm dumb!

I'm there then! =)

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    Whatever you do Arco, make sure that people pay upfront somehow. I know ElectricTurtle got screwed that first Pre-PAX Dinner, which is just a horrible thing to have happen. =(

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    Oh yeah. I'm definitely going to do that somehow. If I have to, I'll just have people PayPal me. It's not fancy, but it would do the trick. I don't have thousands of dollars laying around to front the bill for the dinner anyway, which can be awesome or shitty depending on how you look at it. lol.

Arco on
    edited May 2009
    Aye... you'd just have to make sure at that point (somehow) that no one went over whatever they had paid. I'm not sure how that'd work logistically... maybe if the food was all pre-ordered from the restaurant, so they just brought out stuff in advance and were under instructions to not give more than what was pre-ordered?

Just to make sure that some bozo doesn't do something silly like order 100 bucks worth of something (expensive drinks or something perhaps) and then just walking away.

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    If you are looking at doing it at a restaurant, just arrange a set menu ahead of time and anything beyond that is on each person aka alcomahols. That way people will know what they are getting, what to expect, and the restaurant will prob be more willing to fancy it up since they know X people are eating such and such thing so it is easier on them to plan for.

MaoChan on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, you want either a buffet style thing or a set menu, perhaps even with advance selection - like a wedding rsvp. "Will the gentleman be having the chicken or the fish?"

Or if it's less classy, like at a pizza joint, just order 15 pizzas and a fuck ton of wings and let everyone go at it.

SlickShughes on
    edited May 2009
    Ooh, I like the buffet idea... pay upfront and you won't have to worry about anyone splitting on extras they grabbed without anyone knowing.

Are there any buffets in the area?

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    Or if it's less classy, like at a pizza joint, just order 15 pizzas and a fuck ton of wings and let everyone go at it.

That is just a bad idea. Some fatty will get there early and eat everything and people will bitch.

MaoChan on
    edited May 2009
    I... I don't think that's true.... I don't know of anyone who'd ever do such a thing when it comes to copious amounts of pizza... (hides in a dark corner)...

=)

VThornheart on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    umm... one of my former managers at Best Buy used to buy stacks of pizza nearly on a daily basis, which was awesome, but... they were mostly for himself, if you catch my drift. I can take down pizza pretty well too though so it probably wouldn't be a good idea, lol.

I think the buffet is the best way to go, and the buffet at the Pre-PAX Dinner last year was catered right? We should definitely do that again, it was pretty epic. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited May 2009
    Oh, in that case though they had to rent that whole auditorium and all of that... I think in this case, if we go a buffet route, we'll need to find a pre-established buffet that we can raid to prevent the expense and such.

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    I like the pizza idea. I could be a great casual meet-up (as if PAX was not casual enough already). It depends on the buffet though...

I am definitely going to the dinner. I have made sure of it. My flight out of Seattle leaves Monday morning, instead of Sunday morning, so I am free.

Brex123 on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think we should just order three million corn dogs and chill out at the park. :P

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited May 2009
    "Awesome!"

"What, like a hot dog?"

"No sir, it's like one hundred million hot dogs sir!"

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    DStalefish wrote: »
    I think we should just order three million corn dogs and chill out at the park. :P

Yeah I back this idea. We get 3 million corn dogs, a cooler of Schlitz (since we are already classing it up wit corn dogs) and a Radio Flyer wagon to haul it all. We then gallivant around Seattle for the evening.

MaoChan on
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The thing about this is that I don't really see a reason to go both to this and the pre-PAX dinner.

PAX ends on a Sunday and don't people have to get back home?

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    I guess it depends on the situation. For some people, they may not actually be leaving town until Monday (for example, I'm planning on staying until Monday because then I can get a full nights' rest before the very long drive begins anew. =) ) So in that situation, both the Pre and Post-PAX Dinner would be possibilities. I get the feeling that there's a lot of people in a similar situation.

VThornheart on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The thing about this is that I don't really see a reason to go both to this and the pre-PAX dinner.

PAX ends on a Sunday and don't people have to get back home?

The point of going to both is that they are both awesome. Sure, I have no valid reason to stick around until Monday except for this, but hell, why not? PAX ends on a Sunday yes, but I'm not sure if you're aware that PAX is on the Labour Day weekend.

I know that both Canada and the US get that Monday off, not sure how it is for the UK/Australia and wherever else though.

Wormdundee on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also PAX train people, like myself and our dear organizer Arco, miss most/all of the Pre-PAX deal and don't leave until Monday morning anyway.

SlickShughes on
    edited May 2009
    Also PAX train people, like myself and our dear organizer Arco, miss most/all of the Pre-PAX deal and don't leave until Monday morning anyway.
    This was the motivation for the Post-PAX dinner in the first place. There are a lot of people, not just PAXtrain people, who don't roll into town until after all the awesome Pre-PAX stuff happens. And that stuff really is awesome. It's one of the most unique things about PAX. So I wanted to get the ball rolling on some good Post-PAX shenanigans. Really, it's the natural evolution of the concept. Lots of community driven stuff before PAX, then PAX, then lots of community driven stuff afterward.

Then the before and after just keep getting longer, and longer...

Then we start setting up permanent residences in Seattle...

And before you know it, we're seceding from the union to form our own nation. It's only a matter of time, really.

Arco on
    edited May 2009
    Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to separate my jokes and wit from actual dinner stuff.

How does the idea of pizza sound to everyone? This was actually the cool idea I eluded to a while ago, and a few of you have had similar thoughts, it looks like.

Pizza is the quintessential gamer food, so it's a logical choice. It's also easy to please a lot of people with pizza from the same restaurant, if we order a variety, which could be more of a problem if an actual menu has to be designed. And, perhaps most importantly, it's cheap. Having an actual dinner type dinner with entrees and such catered is pretty expensive. Pizza is significantly cheaper, or at least it looks like it's going to be based on the research I've done. On top of that, I kind of don't like the idea of a restaurant. It presents logistical difficulties (the bill, which several of you already figured out) for one, and for two, restaurants have other people in them. Our group is getting pretty large, and I don't want to have to worry about being quiet, sitting down, being stuffy and buttoned up at some restaurant, even if we are in our own banquet room or something.

The idea of renting a big room, filling it with food, getting some TVs and video games, and throwing something more akin to a party than a "dinner" is very appealing to me. Pizza fits with this idea very well.

I did some very basic and preliminary math, and working with 100 people, here's the kind of thing we can expect:

30 pizzas of various varieties
    15 pans of lasagna
    120 breadsticks
    Lots of caesar salad
    Soda
    About $1300, from the place I'm thinking of going with. Let's round up to $1500 to cover plates, napkins, utensils, etc, and also to give us a bit of a buffer.

So $1500 spread across 100 people would be, naturally, $15 each, putting us well short of the popular $20-$25 poll result. If we do end up charging $25 per head that leaves us $1000 left over for other stuff. This will primarily be the cost of renting a suitable venue, which I'm working on right now.

So, how does this sound for everyone? Copious amounts of pizza, lasagna, breadsticks, salad, drinks, and fun? If ANYONE has ANY concerns, problems, suggestions, whatever, PLEASE say so. This was the first idea that I had, and I'm certainly not married to it.

Arco on
  • MarzGurlMarzGurl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wanting to attend, and happy with pizza. May be coming +1 ~ 3, but certainly add me to the RSVP.

MarzGurl on
    http://www.marzgurlproductions.com - Your Convention Video is On the Way!
    Also find me at http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com !
    edited May 2009
    Pizza and pop sounds good for me. Hopefully by 120 breadsticks you mean 120 orders of them, or there may be a breadstick riot... started by me...

Brex123 on
    edited May 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »
    Pizza and pop sounds good for me. Hopefully by 120 breadsticks you mean 120 orders of them, or there may be a breadstick riot... started by me...
    Actually I did mean 120 individual breadsticks. I was on the fence about whether or not this was enough. Now I have my answer. ;)

Arco on
    edited May 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    Brex123 wrote: »
    Actually I did mean 120 individual breadsticks. I was on the fence about whether or not this was enough. Now I have my answer. ;)

Sorry, for a bit I forgot how many people were going to this one, and if we are still at around 50, 120 breadstick should be fine. 2 for most people and 3 to some should make everyone happy.

Brex123 on
This discussion has been closed.