As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    However, without the university setting, there's no one there to force him out of his bad habits.

University setting ain't gonna force anyone out of their bad habits. Take it from me. They take your tuition and give you asspats in return.

Honestly, I believe that people who teach themselves how to do things are going to be more successful than those going to an art school, by and large. I know at least three close friends who are now professional illustrators, and none of them went to art school. In contrast, pretty much all of my class that graduated the fine arts degree program are now cashiers. Autodidacts have the drive to learn and improve on their own, they're going to keep that in the working world and keep growing.

Are they going to have bad habits? Yeah. So does everyone else.

Perhaps; I think this can easily start to come across as oversimplified and inflexbile an argument as the one Beavs objected to; different universities work different ways, and while many are as you say they are, others are genuinely helpful, especially for those, like me, whose way of learning isn't conducive to self-teaching. Now, given I'm using myself as an example, I'm going to have to concede that I may not have gained much ground in the university system, at least, judging by my work, but I got a hell of a lot more out of it than any number of years working on my own. I suppose that plays into your autodidact work ethic argument you made there, but there are those among my classmates who are doing quite well as a result of their education as well. It's like Beavs said, it's not a go to school/don't go to school debate.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    But then you get people like Angel of bacon who had shitty art professors and still became pretty darn amazing

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    However, without the university setting, there's no one there to force him out of his bad habits.

University setting ain't gonna force anyone out of their bad habits. Take it from me. They take your tuition and give you asspats in return.

Honestly, I believe that people who teach themselves how to do things are going to be more successful than those going to an art school, by and large. I know at least three close friends who are now professional illustrators, and none of them went to art school. In contrast, pretty much all of my class that graduated the fine arts degree program are now cashiers. Autodidacts have the drive to learn and improve on their own, they're going to keep that in the working world and keep growing.

Are they going to have bad habits? Yeah. So does everyone else.

Perhaps; I think this can easily start to come across as oversimplified and inflexbile an argument as the one Beavs objected to; different universities work different ways, and while many are as you say they are, others are genuinely helpful, especially for those, like me, whose way of learning isn't conducive to self-teaching. Now, given I'm using myself as an example, I'm going to have to concede that I may not have gained much ground in the university system, at least, judging by my work, but I got a hell of a lot more out of it than any number of years working on my own. I suppose that plays into your autodidact work ethic argument you made there, but there are those among my classmates who are doing quite well as a result of their education as well. It's like Beavs said, it's not a go to school/don't go to school debate.

Well, the argument I was making that autodidacts are the only ones who become good at art, regardless of setting, because they learn and grow outside of classtime. It's true of any discipline. If your work improves, it's because of you. Your teachers don't do work for you.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's the way I see the whole university/self teaching thing: The college can only provide the environment. Where you go or how much you pay will affect that environment - but ultimately anyone's education will come down to the individual their motivation, drive, skills, and methods and ultimately the way you reach your goals is based more on who you are and how you learn and less on how you got there some people do better self taught, some people do better in a university and some people will suck no matter what - whether they spend 90,000 to go to a private institution or if they sat home teaching themselves. It's just a method to learn and there is no set method for success in anything.

tldr: almost the same thing Orik just said.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Taking this to the discussion thread, if you don't mind.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    oh, even the women felt incomplete. oh wellz I guess. It just usually feels like you use the textures in how people do those old fashion cartoons were they wear the striped suits. And when they move the entire pattern moves

edit:. And I thought having all the Shades and values worked out would help you a lot when using textures to actually see how to make it work in a more depthy environement thingy

I actually remember reading a tutorial article where this guy was given Frank Frazzetta's blessing to do a Death Dealer piece, and after he scanned in his initial sketch the first thing he did was insert an umber oak (???) photograph and used the texture as his base to paint on. When he started up the sky he just inserted a photograph of clouds and what not and just painted on top. And then I remember seeing another video where this guy was painting a dwarf and rather than paint the chain mail he just...you guest it, took a photo of chain mail and just inserted in via overlays and erased bits that stuck out. Jeremy somethinoranother who did the concept work for narnia, lotr, and pretty much every other recent big blockbuster starts by placing phototextures on the canvas before he even works and then immediately after his initial sketches places another layer of pure texture/photograph, molds it, and paints again ontop.

Granted these guys know what the hell they are doing and got years of experience behind them, but its just illustrate that they are so many ways of using photos and textures amidts your workflow. There is no right or wrong way to go about it - so long as the end result works.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey what the fuck is this wall of text in the doodle thread?

Tam on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i went to the discussion thread, sorry for ruining the doodle. here is a doodle i maked
    selftaught.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Abusing the crap out of GIMP brushes and filters:
    abuse.jpg

It has a bit of an aged copper look to it.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I made a ghost chinchilla with my tablet

CHINCHILLLAAAYA.jpg

(it radiates a unholy aura)

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    wck, that guy looks like he's got a serious goiter issue; you might want to reconsider the left line defining his bottom jaw.

EDIT: Also, I do like the application of three-point perspective, though I think the two horizontal perspectives seem a tad off...

Yeah he's definately way out all over. I'll probably need to shoot a photo reference of my brother. And you're right, the two horizontal perspectives are out. It was a 'guess' job. I'll have to correct it in photoshop, because its hard to draw right when the points go off the page.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, proper perspective is a bitch on paper because of that; even the easiest way I know, which involves lightly sticky masking tape and newsprint, is too much trouble for quick sketches, nevermind the fact that you'd have to have the two on-hand to begin with. Hopefully someone else here's got some good suggestions for that.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    selftaught.jpg

Yeah!

I also consider myself self-taught...even with my current enrollment in school.

SO THERE, SUCKAZ

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    night dragonnn she is the unshackled gunslinging rebellion who is taught by no one.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i went to the discussion thread, sorry for ruining the doodle. here is a doodle i maked
    selftaught.jpg

MKR wrote: »
    abuse.jpg

Loomdun wrote: »
    I made a ghost chinchilla with my tablet

CHINCHILLLAAAYA.jpg

(it radiates a unholy aura)

selftaught.jpg

Yeah!

I also consider myself self-taught...even with my current enrollment in school.

SO THERE, SUCKAZ

I also consider myself self taught despite the fact that I am due to graduate in a matter of weeks, art shool gave me a space to work in, but I could just have easily done the work at home/hired a studio. I have received no formal art tuiton other than life drawing classes and they were non taught anyway. But I definitely don't regret going as expensive as it was, it let me involve myself in a place where everyone was an artist from all different disciplines which has been really helpful for me and I've met some great people.

anyway, this place is starting to smell a lot like the chat thread

I really need to stop drawing on whatever paper is closest, in this case, lined.

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bitches don't know I'm self-taught

brb: going to the grocery - doodles will be forthcoming.

edit: er no doodles for now, my scanner has decided not to work - I actually haven't used it for a few (5) months :-|

Veritas on
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    abuse.jpg

Honestly, what I thought when I first saw this was that it was drawn with crayons lol. Then I read your post and looked closer and realized it was actually just artistic filter>lava'd all to hell :D

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    just a quicky
    tiger_cub_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    messing with some shapes and came up with this, probably won't go further with it, just fun to do

facedoodlecopy.jpg

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    rough sketch, I dunno, just plottin ideas down for a banner i guess.

banner.jpg

Beavo, I want that last thing of yours on a shirt sooooooo bad!!!!!!

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    jeez..... everytime in stumble into this part of the forums is simultaneously motivating, and the final nail in the coffin of failure.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    abuse.jpg

Honestly, what I thought when I first saw this was that it was drawn with crayons lol. Then I read your post and looked closer and realized it was actually just artistic filter>lava'd all to hell :D

Nah, it's one of the edge filters. I forget which. And GIMP's lava filter is several menus deeper than the one in Photoshop. O:

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    jeez..... everytime in stumble into this part of the forums is simultaneously motivating, and the final nail in the coffin of failure.

nah you gotta use it as motivation...everytime you see something impressive you need to be like 'fuck that! Ima come out with somethin' better...u watch!'

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Almost finished my painting of Jimmy Fallon. I was going to send it to him through the post, but since my folks are leaving for the United States this week, im getting them to drop the painting off at rockefeller centre when they go for the tour.
    The painting looks shit, but it was fun to do.

dzee7q.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    zero_onezero_one Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ain't never doodled on this place b4!

IMG_0001-1.jpg

not very good copy of Wolverine Lifeblood comic!

IMG_0003-1.jpg

slimy waiter!

IMG_0005.jpg

thank you doodle for a frieeeend

IMG_0006.jpg

silliness

zero_one on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Welcome aboard then zero_one, I am one hundred percent behind HALO SIR, but maybe you could crop out all the space the next time you post.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    zero_onezero_one Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    thank you good man :) cropped and cropped!

zero_one on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    barbarian.png
    im sure i made half of these muscles up, and this is all sorts of flat

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    And his lower body can't support his weight. O:

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    well, neither can yours

Projeck on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    well, neither can yours

ahahaha

delightful

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    well, neither can yours

I have seen many sick burns in my time, but that is in a class of its own.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    barbarian.png
    im sure i made half of these muscles up, and this is all sorts of flat

Instead of a long loincloth, it looks like a giant dicksleeve. Like he needs to protect his dick, but also be able to whip it out at a moment's notice.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    A wangscabbard.

MKR on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think the proper term is dickquiver.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    cockglove

Tam on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm going to add dongsheath.

goggles on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    this is a man prepared

Projeck on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    goggles wrote: »

If you've ever had to care for male horses then you know that these are real. And they need to be cleaned. But that's probably not a place that the doodle thread should be going...

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    lyrium wrote: »
    goggles wrote: »

If you've ever had to care for male horses then you know that these are real. And they need to be cleaned. But that's probably not a place that the doodle thread should be going...

well now we know which drawings you don't show us

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.