As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Gathering space (w/ kitchen?) for 10-20 friends?

DewinDewin Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in PAX Archive
So... a couple friends of mine (and about 6 friends of theirs, who are now also friends of mine) met up at PAX 2008. Two of them live in Seattle, so after PAX we hung out there for awhile, played some Munchkin, and enjoyed steamed artichokes cooked by one of them (Yeah, not really gamer food, but who cares?).

This was all done in a tiny apartment that barely had room for us all. To make things worse, our numbers have multiplied and we're now looking at possibly 15 people (and the list still isn't set in stone). Far too much for a tiny apartment :)

So, for those of you who live in Seattle (or maybe have experience doing this in the past as more seasoned PAX adventurers), what would you suggest/what can you offer given the following:

- We're looking to "borrow" or otherwise invade a small home or large apartment, preferably near the Convention Center (but this isn't strictly required).
- A kitchen is a requirement. (We already have an option for a similar space available that lacks this)
- It should go without saying given what fourms I'm posting on, but internet access is also a requirement. We can provide equipment if needed.
- If you can offer this sort of space yourself and would like to host us, we'll be happy to compensate you with cooking, free PAX tickets (assuming you haven't already bought them -- why haven't you bought them yet?) and some moolah so you buy more epic loots at PAX.
- If you know of something that can accommodate this, we're looking to ideally spend $600 or less (but this is negotiable) on to book a suitable space. It needs to be able to sleep at least two (but likely anything of the right size is going to have two bedrooms) -- my idea is for everyone of our group to chip in a little to cover the space with the people who are sleeping there covering a larger share :)

At this point, we aren't looking to add more to our merry band (I'd like everyone to know at least most of the rest:-p), save for a couple of spaces for whoever suggests the "winning" location if they're interested :)

Dewin on

• Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Highfire on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Interesting concept, but I don't think it's quite what we're looking for. Sleeping space is secondary to the gathering area (I think most of our guests will be wanting their own room at, say, a hotel anyways).

Hopefully someone else finds it useful though. :)

Dewin on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Homewood Suites has kitchens

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait. So your group already has hotel accommodations, and you're just looking for a kitchen/living room type area to party in for a night, or two nights?

Have you ever considered calling a travel agent or something like that in the Seattle area? I know that people sometimes put their houses or condos up for rent for vacations and such. I don't know if a travel agent is exactly what you're looking for, but you get the idea. Timeshares or something.

Also. I love Munchkin, and I love artichokes. This sounds like a good time.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    Wait. So your group already has hotel accommodations, and you're just looking for a kitchen/living room type area to party in for a night, or two nights?

That's basically it. I figure whatever we end up renting is going to have place to sleep at least 2 though, so it'll be doubling as hotel accommodations for a few of us :)
    Have you ever considered calling a travel agent or something like that in the Seattle area? I know that people sometimes put their houses or condos up for rent for vacations and such. I don't know if a travel agent is exactly what you're looking for, but you get the idea. Timeshares or something.

I've been looking at Vacation Rentals By Owner ( vrbo.com ) but so far nobody wants to have 15 people partying at their house. Not that the type of partying we're thinking of involves loud music and drunken rowdiness, but they probably think it does.

Additionally, at least two people have said they're sold out on those dates when the calendar on the website said they weren't. :-/

if we really have 15 people who want to play Munchkin we're probably going to split it into two decks and have two games going at once, unless you want one turn per day of PAX.

Find us a space and you're welcome to join us :-p

Dewin on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dewin wrote: »

if we really have 15 people who want to play Munchkin we're probably going to split it into two decks and have two games going at once, unless you want one turn per day of PAX.

Find us a space and you're welcome to join us :-p
    I'd split it down further. lol. A 5 person game of Munchkin gets pretty unwieldy pretty fast.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    I'd split it down further. lol. A 5 person game of Munchkin gets pretty unwieldy pretty fast.

At the risk of derailing my own thread...

My introduction to Munchkin was 8 people, playing Munchkin, Munchkin 2, Star Munchkin, Munchkin Fu and... I think Supermunchkin.

The game went on so long that by the time I was about to go to level 10, people were playing cards to help me win just to get the game over.

Still lost though. :-/

Dewin on
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hear they throw mad parties at Chuck E. Cheese.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DStalefish wrote: »

I don't think you can rent out a Chuck E. Cheese for 3 days straight.

Nor do I think you're allowed to use their kitchen.:)

Dewin on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dewin wrote: »
    DStalefish wrote: »

I don't think you can rent out a Chuck E. Cheese for 3 days straight.

Nor do I think you're allowed to use their kitchen.:)

Or have two people sleep there.

SlickShughes on
This discussion has been closed.