As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Survival Horror Newbie

1235»

• Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    L-l-look at you hacker

A pathetic c-creature of meat and bone

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I could never get into third person survival horror. Games* can't develop the disquieting, tense atmosphere that atmospheric survival-horror requires to furkmint a shitwaffle, especially when you can see your mans running around. To date, the only games that have ever unnerved me are Thief 3 (Bestest survival-horror level EVER), STALKER, and FEAR 1 (Fear2 was lolquicktimeeventzzz). The early Silent Hills were OK.

And developers that try to throw in a "horror" section in a run and gun FPS by having no enemies and trying to fuck with you with creepy noises? Don't do it, kthx. Looking at you and the "scary" intro of The Flood, Bungie.

*99.99999% thereof

Robman on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    So how bad is the PC port of Silent Hill 2? Poor controls?
    Controls took a bit of configuring, but if you're OK with tank controls on a keyboard you ought to be good to go.

Did the PC version not have the option to use the non-tank controls like the PS2 one did? That's pretty lame.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Listen, I don't know anything about his home theater setup, all I'm saying is:

Silent Hill coming out of your little monitor and computer speakers

or

Silent Hill in high resolution on a big screen TV with surround sound

You decide

I know this was probably ages ago but I'd like to remind you that PC monitors have typically been higher resolution than TVs for like 20 years and only now (in the last 3 or 4 years) TV displays have started coming with standard higher resolution than most monitors (and only just barely). I'd also like to further suggest that Silent Hill 2 won't even be high resolution since PSX was < 480p.

also, some people have fuckawesome displays with fuckawesome sound systems for their PC.

pedantic rant over.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh and has anyone mentioned the oXBox/PC Cthulhu game? It has its share of mediocre moments (mostly the times when it goes all FPS on you), but when it's good, it's really good. The inn escape, boat attack, and refinery boss are all particularly memorable.

It has an inn-escape scene ala Shadow Over Innsmouth?
    I must look into this.

Yep. It's not exactly Shadow, but all the important parts are there. Gunplay is kinda clunky, but the whole sanity-loss mechanic is fun, as is the healing.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What, if any, are the differences between the PS2 and GC versions of RE3/ CV? I've got 2 for the PS2 and will eventually pick up REmake for the Gamecube but I'm wondering which console I should get the others for. Also, is there anything in RE2 for the Gamecube that's not in the dual shock PS2 version?

HeraldS on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only bad thing I have to say about SH2 is that you can't come home again. Your subsequent playthroughs just won't ever have the impact of your first experience.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HeraldS wrote: »
    What, if any, are the differences between the PS2 and GC versions of RE3/ CV? I've got 2 for the PS2 and will eventually pick up REmake for the Gamecube but I'm wondering which console I should get the others for. Also, is there anything in RE2 for the Gamecube that's not in the dual shock PS2 version?

Better graphics(it's a port of the Dreamcast version, considered the definitive) and maybe some extra modes?

I have the DC ones.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FalhurkFalhurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Though I'm not sure survival horror is the best term for it. I've just restarted Eternal Darkness after a few years of it collecting dust on my shelf.

It's as good now as it was before!

Falhurk on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jandaru wrote: »
    Controls took a bit of configuring, but if you're OK with tank controls on a keyboard you ought to be good to go.

Did the PC version not have the option to use the non-tank controls like the PS2 one did? That's pretty lame.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty certain it did.

subedii on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Listen, I don't know anything about his home theater setup, all I'm saying is:

Silent Hill coming out of your little monitor and computer speakers

or

Silent Hill in high resolution on a big screen TV with surround sound

You decide

I know this was probably ages ago but I'd like to remind you that PC monitors have typically been higher resolution than TVs for like 20 years and only now (in the last 3 or 4 years) TV displays have started coming with standard higher resolution than most monitors (and only just barely). I'd also like to further suggest that Silent Hill 2 won't even be high resolution since PSX was < 480p.

also, some people have fuckawesome displays with fuckawesome sound systems for their PC.

pedantic rant over.

Shutup, don't destroy his stereotype you fool! Us PC gamers are miserable, miserable, and should never be allowed to play on large screens with surround sound just because it's easy! Grief dude, next you'll tell me PC gaming's not suited to 3rd person action games because it's a choice between

Playing Silent Hill hunched over a crappy cheapo keyboard

Or

Playing Silent Hill reclining back using a sleek, high quality gamepad

You decide. :|

subedii on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    The only bad thing I have to say about SH2 is that you can't come home again. Your subsequent playthroughs just won't ever have the impact of your first experience.

Yes, but neither will anything else in your life.

In fact, you may give up on everything else after playing it.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jandaru wrote: »

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty certain it did.

Oh cool. It's one of my pet peeves seeing people complain about tank controls in Silent Hill games when really the very first one is the only time you're forced to use them...

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so back when SH 2 first came out my wife, who was my gf at the time, had 3 younger brothers who had just gotten it they were like 12 or so, and they were bitching about the control scheme and how it wasnt very fun. I asked em to let me give it a go, this was like 7pm. 3 hours later my wife, her 3 brothers, her mother and her uncle who happened to be visiting were sitting enthralled in the living room, the only illumination coming from the horrors unfolding on the television. We had to stop shortly after getting to the hospital. Her mother said it was getting too scary for the kids, and her, we picked it up the next night sans her mother and finished it. Fantastic game.
    On a related note my wife has recently gotten it into her head to do some cosplay, and has made it quite clear that i am to be party to her machinations. She and i sat down and were looking into some relatively straightforward and easily recognizable costumes, and i mentioned leon from RE4, as i already own a jacket that fits the bill. And she was intially going to do Ada in the red dress, then she sat down and played re4 and saw the assignment ada outfit and was like fuck that, im gonna be badass ada cuz it doesnt look like you could fight shit in that silly red get up. <3 my wife because shes awesome. She has also started playing the RE5 co-op with me, because, as i said, she is awesome.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so back when SH 2 first came out my wife, who was my gf at the time, had 3 younger brothers who had just gotten it they were like 12 or so, and they were bitching about the control scheme and how it wasnt very fun. I asked em to let me give it a go, this was like 7pm. 3 hours later my wife, her 3 brothers, her mother and her uncle who happened to be visiting were sitting enthralled in the living room, the only illumination coming from the horrors unfolding on the television. We had to stop shortly after getting to the hospital. Her mother said it was getting too scary for the kids, and her, we picked it up the next night sans her mother and finished it. Fantastic game.
    On a related note my wife has recently gotten it into her head to do some cosplay, and has made it quite clear that i am to be party to her machinations. She and i sat down and were looking into some relatively straightforward and easily recognizable costumes, and i mentioned leon from RE4, as i already own a jacket that fits the bill. And she was intially going to do Ada in the red dress, then she sat down and played re4 and saw the assignment ada outfit and was like fuck that, im gonna be badass ada cuz it doesnt look like you could fight shit in that silly red get up. <3 my wife because shes awesome. She has also started playing the RE5 co-op with me, because, as i said, she is awesome.

She's Canadian and real like Santa, isn't she.

Robman on
  • Options
    FishdertFishdert Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pick RE5 and Silent Hill 3. Silent Hill has the better storyline, so I prefer that, but RE is more violent and visceral, SH just tries to screw with you much more psychologically.

Fishdert on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Pick Re2 and Silent Hill 3. RE2 has an awesome storyline, characters and isn't borderline retarded like RE5 is.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    shes an honest to god hot nerd girl. and it turns out shes much better at RE5 than i am. Her accuracy rating at the end of the first 3 chapters put mine to shame, and shes is constantly saving my ass from parasite dudes trying o eat my face.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.