As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Republicans: Making a Comeback?

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That truly is the best picture on the internet.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Interesting perspective from the Big Orange Satan
    Party_ID_Harris_1969_2009.PNG
    House_Control_1969_2009.PNG

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Recessions are measured by economic growth, not unemployment. I doubt even by that measure the recession is already over and the economy growing again.

In any case, the unemployment numbers were artificially brought down by the hiring of temporary census workers.

Speaker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is not retaliation for Obama making the National Day of Prayer more low-key than Bush. This is not retaliation at all.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    This is not retaliation for Obama making the National Day of Prayer more low-key than Bush. This is not retaliation at all.

Wait, in reading that, if Reagan already declared 1983 as "The National Year of the Bible", why would Obama need to do the same in 2010?

Perhaps 2010 can be "The National Year of the Bible 2: Scripture Harder".

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    He's done the typical, classy thing of not talking about current issues that has been the standard for former Presidents (and somewhat VP's) for quite some time.

No, it hasn't, really. By and large they shut up, but occasionally somebody makes some noise, like Carter did.

Carter was president 30 years ago. It's a little different for him, especially since he kind of has a concentration of effort.

Typically they pick ab isolated issue that isn't terribly controversial. Carter has Habitat for Humanity, Bush 1 and Clinton worked hard at Tsunami relief.

Carter's recent speaking out against Bush's policies was so commented upon because it is something that is so rarely done. I think most of us would consider the circumstances under which that happened exceptional.

Cheney, as we all know, considers Sunday an exceptional circumstance.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Wait, in reading that, if Reagan already declared 1983 as "The National Year of the Bible", why would Obama need to do the same in 2010?

Perhaps 2010 can be "The National Year of the Bible 2: Scripture Harder".

2010 is already the year of the Tiger - which would you rather have, an entire year about a wimpy book in ancient Greek, or a year about a gigantic carnivorous monster-cat?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    National Year of the Bible 2: Scripture? I hardly know her!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I say we let them have a 'year of the bible' right after all the Christian members of the house and senate prove they have actually read and understand it. Maybe we could have some respected theological types write up a test or something, the Jesuits maybe...

Phant on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cheney says he sides with Limbaugh over Powell, and thought Powell was already a Democrat. That's right, please keep alienating the non-crazy Republicans. We've got a big tent over here in the Demcratic party; if we can fit Arlen Specter, we sure as hell can fit Colin Powell.

EDIT: It also looks like Charlie Crist is going to run for Mel Martinez's Senate seat next year. His only credible opposition would be the speaker of the Florida House in the primary, because I can't think of on Democrat here in Florida that could overcome his high approval ratings. So basically Crist will be the next senator from Florida.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Cheney says he sides with Limbaugh over Powell, and thought Powell was already a Democrat. That's right, please keep alienating the non-crazy Republicans. We've got a big tent over here in the Demcratic party; if we can fit Arlen Specter, we sure as hell can fit Colin Powell.

EDIT: It also looks like Charlie Crist is going to run for Mel Martinez's Senate seat next year. His only credible opposition would be the speaker of the Florida House in the primary, because I can't think of on Democrat here in Florida that could overcome his high approval ratings. So basically Crist will be the next senator from Florida.

:|

Great, now he can do nothing on a federal level as well as state level. Yay.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if this was addressed or not, but I just saw Hannity's bullshit regarding the "holy shit the president is getting a burger" news.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/07/hannity-attacks-obama-for_n_198851.html

Y'know what's fucking hilarious? A lot of people here in East Texas despise ketchup and like mustard alone on sandwiches.

I did a headstand when that clip played.

Henroid on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ray's Hellburger is perhaps the best hamburger joint in the metro area. I don't really care what anyone says.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Apparently there were fancier burgers he could've gotten aside from a plain ol' cheeseburger too.

As long as the right-wing and its media supporters are reaching out for this kind of shit to use as detractions for Obama, they are not on the road to making a comeback.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love it when they invent arbitrary bills just so they can accuse their opponents of not liking them. So classy.

Duffel on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I love it when they invent arbitrary bills just so they can accuse their opponents of not liking them. So classy.

Particularly when the country is in crisis mode.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I'm a bit more optimistic about it. First, it's exchanging a Republican for a Republican, so the numbers game isn't changed. Second, Crist isn't a huge idealogue and hasn't done much grandstanding as governor, so I doubt we'll be subject to the theatrics of a Boehner. Third, he's closer to the center than Martinez and actually has some common ground with Democrats on some issues (stimulus, environment). He's really popular here in Florida, so I don't see intimidation from the Senate Republican leadership working too well against him. All told, I doubt he'll be more than a nuisance as opposition, but he could potentially be that extra vote needed for climate change and economic legislation. Hell, his desire to be popular can be used against him pretty easily if needed, because if things keep going as they are now, hewing to the Republican dogma will kill his popularity.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got a laugh out of the teleprompter gag. And I thought the Limbaugh as a troubled asset bit was amusing. Otherwise, meh. Could at least have made a "cheney was supposed to be here tonight but nobody can find his new house on google maps to invite him" gag or some shit. Lower unemployment by hiring good comic writers damnit!

Also, that bill is atrocious. Like, a monumental waste of everyone's time, and a reason we need harassment laws for the house and senate. Introducing bullshit means if the supreme court decides it was bullshit, you pay for the time the government spent dealing with your crap :P

kildy on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I'm a bit more optimistic about it. First, it's exchanging a Republican for a Republican, so the numbers game isn't changed. Second, Crist isn't a huge idealogue and hasn't done much grandstanding as governor, so I doubt we'll be subject to the theatrics of a Boehner. Third, he's closer to the center than Martinez and actually has some common ground with Democrats on some issues (stimulus, environment). He's really popular here in Florida, so I don't see intimidation from the Senate Republican leadership working too well against him. All told, I doubt he'll be more than a nuisance as opposition, but he could potentially be that extra vote needed for climate change and economic legislation. Hell, his desire to be popular can be used against him pretty easily if needed, because if things keep going as they are now, hewing to the Republican dogma will kill his popularity.

His moderation will probably cause him to be outcast in the federal republican party. I'm just talking about the fact that he has done nothing for my state. At all. Aside from getting fake married.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Party_ID_Harris_1969_2009.PNG

This graph is misleading without the corresponding rise in independents shown. I mean sure, it's inferred, but I know plenty of Republicans who would say "Look! Democratic ID is and has been tanking for years!"

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just wanted to say that the phrase "theatrics of a Boehner" needs to be inscribed on something made of marble.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    He hasn't been terrible. I liked the restoration of ex-felons' rights. He's been pretty good on environmental issues. The Seminole Compact is about as good a deal as we'll get, I reckon. He hasn't been leading the charge to gut education and welfare and healthcare like you'd expect from a Republican during a budget balancing. He's been on the right side of voters' rights issues. On balance, I'd say he's leagues ahead of Jeb Bush. Yes, that's a low hurdle to clear, but he's definitely done some things of note.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Seminole Compact is about as good a deal as we'll get, I reckon.
    Obs: SEMINOLE COMPACT IS BEST THING EVAR IN FLORIODA
    wwtMask wrote:
    He hasn't been leading the charge to gut education and welfare and healthcare like you'd expect from a Republican during a budget balancing.
    Didn't he fuck over tuition or something?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wwtMask wrote:
    He hasn't been leading the charge to gut education and welfare and healthcare like you'd expect from a Republican during a budget balancing.
    Didn't he fuck over tuition or something?

And didn't Florida just defund all public libraries from the state level, or was that overblown when it made the rounds?

werehippy on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Speaker wrote: »
    Recessions are measured by economic growth, not unemployment. I doubt even by that measure the recession is already over and the economy growing again.

In any case, the unemployment numbers were artificially brought down by the hiring of temporary census workers.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that unless it's in a Michael Steele 'Government jobs aren't real jobs' sense. In which case, buh?

moniker on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe he means temporary jobs aren't real jobs, because once the census is done with the unemployment rate will rise by the exact amount it dropped by hiring the census workers?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Maybe he means temporary jobs aren't real jobs, because once the census is done with the unemployment rate will rise by the exact amount it dropped by hiring the census workers?

The same is true for all the contractors who have been hired for ARRA work. Once they're done paving that road or whatever they're back to looking for work. The whole point is to provide people some employment until the economy turns around, which them getting a paycheck helps promote, and allows private businesses to absorb them and new graduates entering the workforce.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Government officials familiar with the CIA's early interrogations say the most powerful evidence of apparent excesses is contained in the "top secret" May 7, 2004, inspector general report, based on more than 100 interviews, a review of the videotapes and 38,000 pages of documents. The full report remains closely held, although White House officials have told political allies that they intend to declassify it for public release when the debate quiets over last month's release of the Justice Department's interrogation memos.

According to excerpts included in those memos, the inspector general's report concluded that interrogators initially used harsh techniques against some detainees who were not withholding information. Officials familiar with its contents said it also concluded that some of the techniques appeared to violate the U.N. Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, ratified by the United States in 1994.

Although some useful information was produced, the report concluded that "it is difficult to determine conclusively whether interrogations have provided information critical to interdicting specific imminent attacks," according to the Justice Department's declassified summary of it. The threat of such an imminent attack was cited by the department as an element in its 2002 and later written authorization for using harsh techniques.

Specifically: The White House has decided to declassify and release a classified 2004 CIA report about the torture program that is reported to have found no proof that torture foiled any terror plots on American soil -- directly contradicting Cheney's claims. The paper cites "allies" of the White House as a source.

Dem Congressional staffers tell me this report is the "holy grail," because it is expected to detail torture in unprecedented detail and to cast doubt on the claim that torture works -- and its release will almost certainly trigger howls of protest from conservatives. Tellingly, neither the CIA nor the White House knocked down the story in response to my questions, with spokespeople for both declining comment.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That new doc is supposed to be completely damning, yeah. Essentially going over exact details, exact information learned, and exactly how useless it was.

Holding it until the fires simmer down though I don't get. Either you're praying that it's quietly released and we're all adults about it, or you're going to use it as a bombshell to reignite them. But it's a crapshoot how it goes over. Is this leak just to try and get an FOIA request for an exact document and take it out of his hands again?

kildy on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holding off on releasing it seems a little silly, unless they are reviewing it to ensure that its release does not jeopardize national security. If that's not the case, get it out now. In for a penny, in for a pound.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I can sort of see the logic behind holding it back for a time. If people expend all their outrage and arguments on what they already released, when this hits they'll be either all out of arguments or forced to repeat themselves, and maybe the public will be tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well they're declassifying it, which probably takes some time.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »

The same is true for all the contractors who have been hired for ARRA work. Once they're done paving that road or whatever they're back to looking for work. The whole point is to provide people some employment until the economy turns around, which them getting a paycheck helps promote, and allows private businesses to absorb them and new graduates entering the workforce.

Perhaps the words "artificially brought down" were a misleading choice on Speaker's part. I think what he was trying to say was that the April job numbers shouldn't be taken as any sort of sign that the overall economy is improving, since if it had not been for the fact that Census hiring happened in April, the change in unemployment rate would have been positive rather than negative. And surely that can be true without claiming that "government jobs aren't real jobs" or "temporary jobs aren't real jobs."

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe the Obama government would actually welcome investigations into Bushco's actions, and by releasing one piece of damning evidence at a time they continue to build public support into investigations.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How many people has the Census hired?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I don't know if this was addressed or not, but I just saw Hannity's bullshit regarding the "holy shit the president is getting a burger" news.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/07/hannity-attacks-obama-for_n_198851.html

Y'know what's fucking hilarious? A lot of people here in East Texas despise ketchup and like mustard alone on sandwiches.

Isn't dijon mustard one of those thing that's kinda...uh...incredibly common?

In fact, it's been around for 150 years.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yeah, I think somebody missed the memo that those commercials back in the 80's were meant as a joke, and that their intended demographic wasn't actually British billionaires riding around in limos and Bentleys and shit.

I keep some dijon up in the house, and I'm a broke-ass college student (well, graduate now!) in Montucky.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

From Newt Gingrich's twitter
    Callista and I had a great dinner with greta van susteren and her husband john at one of my favorites l'auberge chez francois in great falls

I'm pretty sure "l'auberge chez francois" is a little bit more "elitist" than gray poupon or whatever the fuck. And neither one is "elitist". When the fuck did being elite become a bad thing, exactly? Was it just when a black guy started doing it?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

From Newt Gingrich's twitter
    Callista and I had a great dinner with greta van susteren and her husband john at one of my favorites l'auberge chez francois in great falls

I'm pretty sure "l'auberge chez francois" is a little bit more "elitist" than gray poupon or whatever the fuck. And neither one is "elitist". When the fuck did being elite become a bad thing, exactly? Was it just when a black guy started doing it?

When the middle class cried out against the Bush Tax cuts.

Obs on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jon Stewart said it best with (something to the effect of): I WANT the President to think he's better than me. He should. He's the fucking President.

The Muffin Man on
This discussion has been closed.