As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unofficial PAX IRC Channel - Now with extra help

BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
So, Moe wanted me to make a new, updated post to the (Unofficial) PAX IRC channel. So we have an easily visible location to help those out trying to connect to the channel. Plus the last thread was two years old :P Plus im sure moe is too busy to do all this.

The IRC channel is Just a gathering place for members of the community so come join if you want to chat with everyone or if you are just bored :) Someone is almost always on to talk with.

If you already know how to use IRC with your client of choice:
irc.slashnet.org
#paforums_pax

When you join, be sure to register your nick with nickserv and either PM me or Moe to be added to the channel access list so you get autovoiced. Or you can post here asking for it. Im online the majority of the day and will be watching this thread and my PMs in channel.

Since people are confused about it, this is required since we have a major spammer/troll problem in the channel.

Until you do that, you can PM anybody with a @ or % symbol in front of their name to get voiced so you can participate :)
If you dont know how to use nickserv, there's a section in the tutorials below on how to do that.

Here are a few tutorials on how to get connected if you are unfamiliar with IRC (most of us are old and remember it though, heh)
CONNECTING TO IRC:
Follow the arrows in the pics, I made this easy to not require me to type anything :P

Download and install mirc
http://mirc.com
(ITS FREE, the trial doesnt expire)
Step 1:
3489693536_32e3839787_o.jpg
Step 2:
3489701088_1393fd9487_o.jpg
Step 3:
3489693554_d797003241_o.jpg
Step 4:
3489693574_3930b51cb8_o.jpg
Step 5:
3488878513_75bf3154e7_o.jpg

Now we move onto:
REGISTERING YOUR NICKNAME
(just doing a copy-pasta of my earlier post)
So... The Channel will be running with moderation on, anybody else who joins will need to register their nick and PM either me or moe (on IRC) to be added to the channel access list so you get auto-voiced so you can talk in the channel.
Whenever I am in the channel ill be proactive for a while at PMing new people and walking them through the register process, for now heres some short instructions.

Instructions:

Go to the server window (depends what client you use) and type this:
/msg nickserv register password email

password = what password to register your nick under
email = your email addy to recieve a confirmation #

it will then ask you to do this:
/msg nickserv auth code

code = the code you got in your email

Then when Every time you reconnect to slashnet you will need to type this
/msg nickserv identify password

password = the password you used to register your nick with

Then you are all set :) Just be sure to PM me or moe on irc (whichever you see active) to get added to the access list.
Or you can post in here asking to be added, we will check here too :)

Next:
LINKING NICKS TO YOUR REGISTERED NICKNAME
This is pretty simple. When you are logged into slashnet (and your nick is identified) all you have to do is type this:
/msg nickserv link nickname
nickname = the other nick you want linked
so, I have my BigRed nick thats my registered one, then BigRed-Worky is linked to that.

after you link a nick, when you login to slashnet. You will have to identify with the same password as your registered nick.

SETTING UP PERFORM ON MIRC SO YOU AUTO IDENTIFY AND AUTO JOIN THE CHANNEL:
Step 1:
3489693536_32e3839787_o.jpg
Step 2:
3492255338_56ce656506_o.jpg
Step 3:
3491438833_7047ce9f60_o.jpg
Step 4:
3492255404_7e1e5c99ae_o.jpg

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
BigRed on

• contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Since someone asked in the other channel for mac IRC clients, I recommend x-chat aqua. I like it because it is very close in behavior to x-chat on all other platforms.

For windows, If you don't want to use mirc then I would suggest looking at the list here. I'd recommend SilvereX since it is free and has some great extensibility with all the other languages. But that may be because I'm a programming dork.

For linux, I would again suggest x-chat. (seeing a pattern here?)

General rule of thumb, use an IRC client that is an actual IRC client and not an everything client, usually the everything clients aren't done very well. I'm looking at you pidgin.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm going to repeat that OSX users should get Colloquy, as it is fantastic and I wish IRC programs on other platforms were as good as it.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I followed all the steps, now I just need to be autovoiced.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DaNerd wrote: »
    Okay, I followed all the steps, now I just need to be autovoiced.

Added "DaNerd" to the access list :)

BigRed on
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If we were already in the IRC, but have not been on in a while, do we need to get re-voiced?

eye-shuh on
    edited May 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    If we were already in the IRC, but have not been on in a while, do we need to get re-voiced?

If your nick is registered with nickserv (directions in OP), let me know and I will add you so you will be auto-voiced

If you dont have a registered nick then you need to do so before atuo-voicing can be turned on for your nick.

BigRed on
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For Mac users i would advise Colloquy over XChat Aqua. Colloquy is very easy to set up, and even if you havent used an irc client before it is fairly easy to navigate/use.

Azazel on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Registered as "PeasantDave". Thanks for throwing this together BigRed!

PeasantDave on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, what do we need to do to make our channel official? I mean, c'mon, it's not like there are any other PAX IRC channels.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited May 2009
    Registered as "PeasantDave". Thanks for throwing this together BigRed!

Added :D

BigRed on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    I've noticed quite a few flyby's in the channel recently. Please remember to follow BigRed's instructions on registering your nick with nickserv and pming an op (usually myself or BigRed) to be added to the access list.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    All of this stuff seems a bit complex just because we get some dimwit griefer sometimes. Anyone given serious thought to running a private (ie non-network) irc server for all of the PAX/PA needs? We can have more control of it and create a group of channels to mirror what we currently have and expand it like the forums. From what I can tell, the idiot is only griefing us because he's able to get on the network easily, he's not a PAX attendee and not a PA Forums user, so how would he be able to follow us? Especially if the thread announcing it is locked to Forum members only and not public.

Also these days all IRC clients can run multiple networks, whats another connection?

CuZZa on
    edited May 2009
    Since this needs to be said.... mirc is free... you dont have to buy it

BigRed on
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I registered PatMcRotch.

I have been just using Pidgin to use IRC. That works great for me! I use it to connect to 8, count em, 8 connections. AIM, Yahoo, MSN, GoogleTalk, MySpace, FaceBook, Twitter and now IRC. If you have any questions on getting IRC to work with Pidgin, ask. It may be too weak of a client for some but it works for me.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
    edited May 2009
    I registered PatMcRotch.

I have been just using Pidgin to use IRC. That works great for me! I use it to connect to 8, count em, 8 connections. AIM, Yahoo, MSN, GoogleTalk, MySpace, FaceBook, Twitter and now IRC. If you have any questions on getting IRC to work with Pidgin, ask. It may be too weak of a client for some but it works for me.

Added :D

BigRed on
  • Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Could you add "Dockboy" to the autovoice?

Thanks

Blade Fusion on
    edited May 2009
    No such nick, according to chanserv. Did you register it with nickserv?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited May 2009
    I talked to him on irc, hes on the list

BigRed on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Might be a good idea to make a Colloquy tutorial for Mac users. We can't use mIRC.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited May 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    Might be a good idea to make a Colloquy tutorial for Mac users. We can't use mIRC.

Since I dont own a mac...

Does liger want to volunteer?

Should do it in the same format (pictures with arrows and such)

BigRed on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been trying to get my laptop setup as well, but what's the cmd format for linking another desired username?

I mean I can barely navigate my way back into the channel normally if my pc dies, let alone getting that set properly. Someone helped give it to me in channel the other night, but then my main pc died before I could get it set right.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited May 2009
    look at the bottom of my tutorials, i covered how to link a username :)

BigRed on
    edited May 2009
    A lot of IRC functionality is command line. Things like nickserv and chanserv registration do not have GUI equivalents.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is nickserv not available through Mibbit? I'm still of the opinion that this a little lame.

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
    edited May 2009
    Nickserv is down right now, we've removed the +m until it comes back

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    Liger wrote: »

Since I dont own a mac...

Does liger want to volunteer?

Should do it in the same format (pictures with arrows and such)

If/When I find myself on my own laptop again, sure.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited May 2009
    I can get a Colloquy tutorial up.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can help with the colloquy tutorial if prox forgets anything.

Azazel on
  • strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm using Colloquy. The instructions are the same. You can still use command line in the text box to register your nick.

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
    edited May 2009
    Colloquy (Mac) Tutorial!
    BASIC CONNECTION

First off, you need to download Colloquy from http://colloquy.info/ and install it.
    (IT'S FREE, no trials, no nagging)

Step 1:
    Once you've launched Colloquy for the first time, a couple windows should pop up. Select the "New Connection" window
    -Fill in your Nickname, which is what will be the name displayed. It should probably match your forum name.
    -Under Chat Server, enter irc.slashnet.org
    -Toggle Details so you see more options below, and then check "Remember this connection"
    -Enter something under Username and Real Name, they don't actually have to be real.
    Your window should look something along the lines of this:
    Picture1.png
    Click Connect at the bottom

Step 2:
    You should see the connections screen now.
    Picture2-2.png
    Click on your new connection and then click "Join Room" on the toolbar above. Enter #paforums_pax into the Chat Room field and hit Join.

Done!
    You should see a window come up, and if you're lucky, people will be talking :) You can probably close the connections window, too.
    Picture5-1.png
    Chat Away!

Registering nicks and linking more nicks is done the same way as in the OP.

AUTO-IDENTIFY AND AUTO-JOIN

Step 1:
    If it's closed, open the Connections window (Window > Connections). Right click on your saved connection and select "Get Info"
    This will bring this window:
    Picture6.png
    Go ahead and enter your nickserv password in the Password box under Nickname (NOT Server Password). Don't close this window yet.

Step 2:
    In the same window, click the Automatic Tab.
    -Check "Connect on launch"
    -Click the + button beneath Join Rooms:, and in that field enter #paforums_pax
    It should look like this:
    Picture3.png
    Once that's done, you can close the window.

Done!
    After you've setup auto-join and auto-identify, you can go ahead and close the Connections window, probably for good long while. From now on, Colloquy will auto-connect and join #paforums_pax when you launch it. Enjoy!

If I've made any mistakes or need to add/clarify anything, let me know

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2009
    Services are back up

BigRed on
    edited May 2009
    I have split off the security flamewar. If people have further suggestions regarding the channel and its security measures, fell free to make them as long as they are constructive and not abusive.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The idea of more ops would work that or just PM an op here and I figure that would solve lots of the issues of getting on the IRC.

MaoChan on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I should probably be an op.

Atlus Parker on
    edited May 2009
    Im poking at a script that will let specified users voice others. We already added more hops before the silly stuff started and wont be adding anymore.

BigRed on
  • AutumnWindzAutumnWindz Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    it's fine to moderate forums to keep on-topic (hard to stay on-topic here since you moved the criticisms... then locked it) etc, but honestly, no one was being abusive in the earlier 'flamewar'. Just because there was criticism and disagreeing going on doesn't make it abusive k? if I was abusive at any point, of course, feel free to point it out - I may be wrong. but really, if anything, the concerns and complaints raised by myself and others earlier have brought about dialogue that led to the addition of hops/etc that are a step towards alleviating the problem, and i think that fits the definition of 'constructive' a lot more than 'abusive'.

AutumnWindz on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I have to say I'm on the banished and locked side of the issue >.>

I mean I'm not going to argue about it, but I just wanted to throw my opinion in there since it seems to be being assumed that silence equals agreement :/

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    zombiebot wrote: »
    Is nickserv not available through Mibbit? I'm still of the opinion that this a little lame.

It's available...It's under My Account settings.

My nick is Tajah

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Has anyone ever had luck getting onto here with an irc client on their Verizon Blackberry? I am able to connect to some servers but not slashnet, and I'm just trying to see where the gap is.

PeasantDave on
    edited June 2009
    I'm sure people have connected with a blackberry before, I don't know if they used Verizon or not. Try connecting to one of the specific slashnet servers like moo.slashnet.org or vortex.slashnet.org and see if you get any better luck. Sometimes slashnet can just be a bitch.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.