As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] PAXers losing weight for PAX

• orbdeporbdep Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    10 lbs so far here, so that's progress!

orbdep on
    Nursery Rhymes are Creepy
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Weight is still about the same, however, the muscles are starting to get some definition so I'm pleased. Husband mentioned today that I seem to be smaller around when he hugs me.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • MushroomsMushrooms Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, I'm down about 5 pounds!!!!! AND AND AND..... My wedding dress fits me PERFECTLY NOW!!!!

Mushrooms on
    All shalt feel the wrath of the all-mighty POINTY KITTY OF DOOOOOM!!
    purrrrrrrrrrrrr*snuggle*
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mushrooms wrote: »
    AND AND AND..... My wedding dress fits me PERFECTLY NOW!!!!

Congratulations! Thats great!

Nothing has changed for me yet, but I have been to the gym this week so far, and will be going again later this week.

Brex123 on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've gained six pounds.

NotASenator on
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been doing well for about a week and a half now.

Day before yesterday I ate everything in sight but was about 800 calories under the daily budget yesterday so, it evens out.

sum10fishy on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My scale must be broken.....

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • geekgrrlgeekgrrl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wearing a skirt today that has always been tight.. not anymore. :) i got a random compliment yesterday from someone in my office building. she said i looked like i'd lost a lot of weight. i don't even think i've seen her around, so it was weird to have a relative stranger say something out of the blue. weird and exceedingly nice :D

gonna try to weigh myself after work today.

geekgrrl on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh crap... Just realized I have to put on a tankini this weekend. I bought it last August and haven't put it on since! Why hallo thar, thighs.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have been depressed. ... There have been donuts. ...

I went kayaking last weekend though, it was really nice.

MetaverseNomad on
  • MarzGurlMarzGurl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've needed to lose about 20 lbs to reach my goal in one month. I've lost about ten, and have maybe a little less than two weeks to go. I MAY just make it! After that, it's a matter of keeping it there. That's all I'll care about by then, just keeping it there.

MarzGurl on
    http://www.marzgurlproductions.com - Your Convention Video is On the Way!
    Also find me at http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com !
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Group Hug!!!

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Xtian80Xtian80 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What are you guys doing to lose this much weight so fast? I would really like to lose about 25-4o pounds. I'm 5'10" and about 200 lbs. Not super big but I have a nice size spare tire. Anyway, if I had a plan I think I could stick to it. My problem is, I am 29 and weight has never really been a problem so losing it has not ever been anything I payed attention to. If I could lose 40 lbs by PAX I would be wicked excited. So, anyone know how I can do it?

Xtian80 on
  • dskaitlyndskaitlyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xtian80 wrote: »
    What are you guys doing to lose this much weight so fast? I would really like to lose about 25-4o pounds. I'm 5'10" and about 200 lbs. Not super big but I have a nice size spare tire. Anyway, if I had a plan I think I could stick to it. My problem is, I am 29 and weight has never really been a problem so losing it has not ever been anything I payed attention to. If I could lose 40 lbs by PAX I would be wicked excited. So, anyone know how I can do it?

I've lost 23lbs over 60 days... I think it's because I'm so greatly over weight. As I start to get to a vaguely normal size I expect that the rate at which I'm losing weight will slow down greatly. (Mind you, that comes to just under 3 lbs of weight loss a week and 1-2 lbs a week is what is considered healthy. Going fast does not always mean you're doing it right.)

dskaitlyn on
    "You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
  • Xtian80Xtian80 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be honest...I am a little less concerned right now with doing it the right way and a little more concerned with losing this weight.

Xtian80 on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be honest...I am a little less concerned right now with doing it the right way and a little more concerned with losing this weight.

The problem with that mentality is that you need to lose it the right way or else you won't. Start with trying to cut down caloric intake and being more active. I know that sounds so simple but once you really start watching what you eat you will realize how much crap you are ingesting.

Also simple things like no eating 3 hours before bed can shave weight off pretty well and combine that with some vigorous exercise and you will lose it.

MaoChan on
    edited May 2009
    weighed myself yesterday.. i'm up half a pound in a week. not putting too much stock in it, since my body feels smaller.

geekgrrl on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    geekgrrl wrote: »
    weighed myself yesterday.. i'm up half a pound in a week. not putting too much stock in it, since my body feels smaller.

I think scales are over-rated, because unless they're in a hydrostatic pool they can't account for muscle. Pick up a seamstress tape and measure waist, biceps thighs and the like. IMHO, it's a great way to tell whether you're getting smaller. :)

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

And once school's off, we will go again. :)

My update? I've gained three pounds...

Twinkie on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I lost a pound... then gained it back. :/ So I am back at square one.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • dskaitlyndskaitlyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »

The problem with that mentality is that you need to lose it the right way or else you won't. Start with trying to cut down caloric intake and being more active. I know that sounds so simple but once you really start watching what you eat you will realize how much crap you are ingesting.

Also simple things like no eating 3 hours before bed can shave weight off pretty well and combine that with some vigorous exercise and you will lose it.

I stopped drinking soda completely and that helped me out a lot too.

dskaitlyn on
    "You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    woot. kicked my weight up to 165 this week =) 15lbs of muscle added total over the last few months =)

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    dskaitlyn wrote: »
    MaoChan wrote: »

I stopped drinking soda completely and that helped me out a lot too.

High fructose corn syrup is the devil.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    High fructose corn syrup is the devil.

Tasty Tasty devil. But I have tried my best to knock myself down to one soda a day--which then turns out to be one formation of caffeine a day...which is rather difficult; but I think I have been doing okie.

As for an update on me? I don't know.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • seraphexseraphex Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Down 15 lbs, but still a sturdy 289 lbs. Wife wants to start the Southbeach Diet. No carbs for two weeks? Sounds problematic.

seraphex on
    If I had talent, I wouldn't need all this money.
    Twitter - @papapwnsPAX
    edited May 2009
    seraphex wrote: »
    Down 15 lbs, but still a sturdy 289 lbs. Wife wants to start the Southbeach Diet. No carbs for two weeks? Sounds problematic.

i wouldn't trust anything that says to lop out an entire food group. even regular diets need their bit of chocolate now and then (flavonoids, don'tcha know).

geekgrrl on
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am using FitDay.com to keep track of my eating, activity and stuff like that. It even helps you work your way down to a goal weight, but only as long as it is reasonable. I set my goal to be at 175 pounds by PAX (I am currently at 205). the only problem is that I can't always find the food that I ate in their foods list.

Brex123 on
    edited May 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »
    I am using FitDay.com to keep track of my eating, activity and stuff like that. It even helps you work your way down to a goal weight, but only as long as it is reasonable. I set my goal to be at 175 pounds by PAX (I am currently at 205). the only problem is that I can't always find the food that I ate in their foods list.

Try Nutritiondata.com with a www infront of it. It has a LOT of foods in their database.

I said it earlier but I'll say it again. I got the Lose It! iPhone app. It has a built in database that has impressed me so far and has tools to help lose and add excercise to your budget and what not. It's pretty cool. I'm wondering how accurate some of it's calorie numbers are but still it's useful.

sum10fishy on
    edited May 2009
    down three pounds from last week. woo! unfortunately i mail-ordered a jacket in a large and it's a very tight fit.. i was thinking positive. soon...

geekgrrl on
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Working out is going great here. This past Saturday was my lvl 1 to advance to lvl 2 Krav Maga test. 3.5 hours of pure pain and torture.

Well it is Wednesday now and muscles still hurt, knuckles and elbows still raw and weeping, but inside I feel like a god damn ass beater. Took Monday off but going today to school some fools. Can't wait for the full on fight class that I can now go to.

Next goal, lvl 2 to lvl 3 test.

MaoChan on
  • DraknodredDraknodred Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been trying to loosely follow a diet for two months now. I've been taking baby steps though, I finally switch from regular soda to diet or water. It's one of my vices so it's pretty difficult for me to stop that. Other than that I've been doing my physical things in general, and little things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work etc.

I'm not going for the miracle change my life in a week diet but changing my behavior at my own pace has been working pretty well and soon I should be losing even more.

Hoping to lose something like 15-20 pounds before PAX.

Draknodred on
  • CyberpumpkinCyberpumpkin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I lost around 125 lbs. after I found out I was diabetic.

But my discipline hasn't been what it should be the last few months, so I'm starting to get an uncomfortable belly and I've never exactly been "ripped". My goal by PAX is to be able to wear a sleeveless tshirt and deserve to.

Hard mode: Anyone willing to post neck-down progress pics?

My weapon of choice? A mid-level dance pad from Red Octane hooked to a PS2 and DDRExtreme (the green disc). I'll probably get a pull-up bar and go to the gym to use the exercise bike once in a while.

I'll take John_FN_Seiler's advice and post my routine for anyone who cares:
    I do three sets of five songs on easy, on Endless Mode. This makes sure I get a decent workout, but keeps me from getting too frustrated at the difficulty, because once that happens, I quit. I do it as soon as I get home from work, and only allow myself to skip twice a week. I have dinner directly after that and then go to bed at a normal time.

On weekends, sometimes I go to the gym and ride the bike slow but steady for an hour, or do an extra set of songs on DDR. By the time I was done with the hardcore weight loss, I was up to 25 to 30 songs a night and up to 45 on the weekends.

Naturally, I also follow a diabetic diet. My doctor actually pronounced that I was no longer diabetic and am now only at risk for diabetes, which I guess is really rare. Actually, he's diabetic too and he told me "I'd give my left testicle to have an A1C as good as yours."

Fear is a very good motivator for me. Since I don't like the idea of my extremities hurting all the time for no reason (and then falling off), getting a blood-sugar reading more than a little higher than I like is enough to get my ass back on the dance-pad.
    sum10fishy wrote: »
    [You sound exactly like me. I changed very little as far as exercise. It was all about proper diet and portion size for me. I feel it's silly to exercise more to meet the number of calories you eat instead of eating less to meet the amount of exercise you do. Sure getting in shape is great and more exercise is good for you but the idea of going to the gym for a few months until you lose weight isn't right because as soon as you stop going to the gym you'll put it back on again.

You've got a point there: Taking on an unsustainable amount of exercise doesn't make sense to me either, which is why I sat down and did the math and basically came up with a diet I can follow until I die, and an exercise routine I can follow until my knees stop working.

Trying to lose weight without any kind of exercise seems like more of a challenge than it needs to be, though, since even a little exercise will help train your metabolism to work more efficiently. That's how it worked for me, anyway.

Re: Ride a bike to work This may only work for people who are already in pretty good shape. The thing is, I know that I start smelling like a hotdog with feet after riding a bicycle around the block, let alone a couple miles to work, and I know I'm not the only person like that.

As someone who has been a victim of coworkers who exercise before/during the workday, I say please don't ride a bicycle to work unless there's a locker room you can use once you get there. Also, prepare to pay to replace your bike once it gets stolen. I don't care how good the security is, your bicycle will get stolen.

Cyberpumpkin on
    pax09buttons.jpg
  • saintvicioussaintvicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A problem I see with alot of people trying to lose weight and people on here are throwing this word around alot is "diet".

To really lose weight and keep it off you have you have a lifestyle change. Take for instance everyone loves to snack on something instead of doritos grab some baby carrots. Find things that you enjoy eating that are healthy or not so bad for you. If it feels like your diet is work then it will always end up failing.

Eat spaced out smaller meal and take in most of your calories during the morning not at dinner. This trains your metabolism to be constantly going and will in fact increase your metabolic rate overall. Another way to increase your metabolism is exercise and eating alot of your calories after you exercise.

Just a feel helpful tidbits, I was 135 pounds as of 2 years ago and decided to get into shape. Just worked out 4 or 5 times a week and ate healthy alternatives. I am now 172 pounds and nearly all the weight I put on was muscle weight. To be honest you can eat anything you want if you exercise enough btw tripple cheeseburgers and meat lovers pizzas don't mean anything if you dedicated 5 or more days a week to exercise.

saintvicious on
    edited May 2009
    A problem I see with alot of people trying to lose weight and people on here are throwing this word around alot is "diet".

The problem isn't the word it's peoples thinking on what diet is. Your diet is the food you eat daily. You must have a good diet to get into shape. Sadly diet has also become this term for a short term torture regiment people put themselves through thinking if they can just do it long enough they will get into shape and then they can stop and go back to their old ways and somehow maintain where they are.

Diet=good=in shape.

Dieting=bad=never getting where you want to go for very long.

But I agree going on a diet is a waste because as soon as you stop the "diet" you go back to your old diet which is what got you there in the first place.

sum10fishy on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A diet can help you lose weight, but the problem is that, as anyone who's been on a diet will tell you, what's the point of living if you can't eat food that tastes good.
    Many moons ago I was on a low-fat diet. You know what? It worked. I lost lbs., and inches but after just 4 weeks I couldn't take it anymore. Do you have any idea what it's like going through life where everything you eat tastes like water?
    I'd say to concentrate less on your diet and more on your physical activities.
    I'm not going to PAX this year but I hope to attend PAX East in 2010. I could stand to lose a lot of weight and I really need to if I want to get back into ice skating. I have since bought EA Active for the Wii and I must say this has potential. It came with a 30-day membership to best life and I've started the video game threads on their forums as well (known as nagash on that site).
    Local convention season here in MA starts in January. So, how much weight can I lose by January? Anyone else buy the game hoping to shed a few lbs?
    I have no false illusions that I'll be skinny for PAX East or possibly even ever. I'm looking at 50 - 100 by then (not that hard to believe on a person my size. When you're as big as I am you have that kind of weight to lose). Some of you may only need 5 - 10. Doesn't matter what the goal is, let's each try and hit it.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • MeetTheHeavyMeetTheHeavy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I weigh 104 pounds @ 13y/o, so no thanks, I don't want to lose weight :[

MeetTheHeavy on
    16404.gif
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    If you don't want to lose weight, why are you posting in the PAXers losing weight thread?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    @ 13y/o[

I think this answers your question Moe.
    I'm sorry, it had to be done.

Wormdundee on
  • DrakkenDrakken Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Didnt read the whole thread, but several of my friends are big into crossfit. http://crossfit.com/

It is super popular among military types, and workouts are usually less than 20min a day (sometimes as little as 5min!)

It basically consists of a workout of the day (WOD) that you go balls out on, and when it is over then you are done for the day. It is all free, they have a super friendly community, you dont need any crazy equipment (less access to a few basic weights and a pull up bar), and if you arent up to the "full workout" when starting out in the forums they break it down for different levels of fitness. The key to it is doing the exercise every day (except for rest days as posted on the WOD) and really going at it hard for the few minutes during the actual work out. Also, if you dont know how to do something, they have videos that you can watch right on the site.

Proper diet is also very important but without any changes to her diet my girlfriend has lost about 15 lbs, and SEVERAL inches off her waist/thighs during her time doing crossfit. The inches are the bigger indicator, as a lot of the CF exercises have you building muscle -- which will get you trim, but might not make as much of a weight difference (muscle weighs more than fat -- you are replacing).

Also, I saw someone mention fitday -- that is a great site as well! Sometimes hard to catalog exactly what you are eating tho -- especially when eating out.

Drakken on
  • MeetTheHeavyMeetTheHeavy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    If you don't want to lose weight, why are you posting in the PAXers losing weight thread?

It asked if you wanted to lose wait, or if you were going to, for PAX. I'm not.

MeetTheHeavy on
    16404.gif
This discussion has been closed.