As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Kingdoms of Phallacia - Day 4 (There is no Day 3)

1111213141517»

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

Having the vigilante target the guardian while the guardian targets someone else is just stupid.

Yeah, but it was all happening pretty late in the day, and the thinking was that if a rogue managed to pull it off, he could get the Vig to take out the guardian and then the rogues could take out the vig.

Between that and the seer's death, things would have been over quickly.

As I said, it was obviously the wrong call, but it made sense at the time.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »

Having the vigilante target the guardian while the guardian targets someone else is just stupid.

Yeah, but it was all happening pretty late in the day, and the thinking was that if a rogue managed to pull it off, he could get the Vig to take out the guardian and then the rogues could take out the vig.

Between that and the seer's death, things would have been over quickly.

As I said, it was obviously the wrong call, but it made sense at the time.

If I had been a rogue, and I were risky enough to do what I did, I would have requested that the guardian protect the vigilante, and have the vigilante come forward publically. There's no way I would have requested that I be protected, even pretending to be the seer.

No hard feelings.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Smasher wrote: »
    Which BS was that again? There's been so much I'm starting to lose track.

The stuff about thralls and suchlike that I threw up to save myself.

I'd considered thralls a possibility already (see above), but it didn't really do anything to ease my suspicions of you. I switched my vote to cantide more for unanimity than anything else, since it didn't matter at that point.

Initially voting for Navoc the next day was a brainfart, and once I woke up for real I said "wait a minute" and switched to you. Grimmy was pretty suspicious of you too; he sent me a PM asking me why I was voting for Navoc at about the same time I switched my vote.

Smasher on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait, DarkPrimus was the only actual rogue left? The same DarkPrimus that I voted for almost every night? Dang. Perhaps in the future, when I accuse people *hint* *hint* *nudge* *nudge* Cass's Phalla *wink* *wink*, you guys will pay a little attention.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I guess I was more angry that you assumed I was working against you. But you were lying to me about how much you trusted Grimmy, which made me useless in the first place.

Well, you'd lied about being the seer (and the vigilante too, if larry wasn't BSing about that part), so it didn't seem unreasonable that you were indeed working against us. If you'd told us the truth about being a villager, we would have been suspicious but much less inclined to kill you.

The important part is that I wouldn't have been so bold if I had been a rogue. Maybe if I had been a thrall of some sort, but a rogue would have too much to lose.

You being a thrall was the other big possibility we were considering. I still didn't know if you were really innocent or not until visible posted the villager list just now.

Yeah, well. What fun is Phalla if you don't have a little intrigue? :p

I was banking on the fact that you believed (as I fervently hoped) that Cecil was just some sort of necromancer, who could contact the dead with his mystics. Obviously I was wrong on that count.

Also, I think this has been the first game where a tie vote hasn't resulted in both people dying. I think it works much better that way.

Of course, why would a necromancer be contacting someone on the first day? Nobody had died yet!

I agree with your last point, as I'm sure everybody knows by now.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I agree with your last point, as I'm sure everybody knows by now.

The communist Phalla, Phalla I and II and possibly others besides all had coin flips. Plus there were several in which there were no tie votes so it wasn't tested.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just personally prefer having randomness in phallas coming from players' actions and things we can have influence over. In the end it's not a big deal... there were several other things coughlarrycough that ended up being a bigger factor.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God, two Phallas in a row I'm on the side with some serious debacles. I'm such bad luck.

Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Traditionally, I think if there isn't a plurality in the vote nobody dies. That's why the victory condition for the mafia side is to equal the number of villagers - the villagers can't gain a majority to vote them off but the mafia can still kill.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In retrospect, this game was WAY more in favor of the rogues than I had anticipated. I didn't really realize just how much of an advantage the rogues had until a few days into it when they still had a pretty decent chance even after losing 3 of their number pretty early. If you guys hadn't gotten lucky and killed two rogues on the first day, they would have run away with this victory.

If I choose to run this Phalla for anyone else, my number one priority will be to be more punctual with narration. It was just retarded how long I made you guys wait for those. I'll also stick a bunch more regular villagers in there.

I guess I figured the assassins would focus more on eliminating each other than on villagers, and thus would kind of balance it out. I need to find some way to make it easier for the rogues to get in touch with the mercenary too, although once again, if that had happened any earlier in the game, the villagers would have been slaughtered.

All in all, I think it wasn't too bad for my first Phalla. I felt pretty good about the narrations (when I actually had them), and even though it started pretty unbalanced, I think it ended up being fairly even in the end.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, I've been harsh on some of your calls. I agree it was unbalanced, but :shrug: live and learn.

Running phallas is always appreciated and I know it's hard work, and your narration was fantastic. The first night in particular made me feel totally badass.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Lord Cecil EaglelaserLord Cecil Eaglelaser Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It would've been far more even if I hadn't died on the first night and was able to build a reliable network, though with a thrall that goes out the window as well. This game where the mercenary seers as such would be decently balanced with a couple more villagers.

Lord Cecil Eaglelaser on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It would've been far more even if I hadn't died on the first night and was able to build a reliable network, though with a thrall that goes out the window as well. This game where the mercenary seers as such would be decently balanced with a couple more villagers.

There wasn't a thrall mechanic in this game.

Although, when you think about it, even though there wasn't a mechanic for it, PsychoLarry was pretty well thralled.

Edit: Guys, I gotta go to work. Let me know if you have any suggestions for future Phallas. Particularly the "Phalla-themed Phalla" I'm working on. (Check the Upcoming Games thread in D&D)

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I thought I seered as a third party, not as a villager.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Alright, I guess I should respond here. As was pointed out, I was fairly integral in setting up that initial network, for all the good it did everyone. After that I tried to be helpful, and passed everything I knew on to Grimmy or Smasher. By the way, I had RBB and Dark Primus on my list of 5 possible bad guys on day one, and I think I even mentioned this at some point.
    Anyway, After everything I did I was sitting there listening to everyone talk about how I had to be killed because I was absolutely a rogue, probably. And we were taking RBB seriously as the 3rd person to claim to be a seer, and DP as the 2nd guardian. So when RBB clumsily outted himself to me as a rogue over AIM either because he actually thought I was a rogue or as part of another layer of BS, I figured I'd rather keep the game going and make things interesting then die while you guys bought his story.
    I pretty much figured I'd been backstabbed after the 2nd night I hadn't received a thralling PM from visible, but by that point I had already hitched my train to the wrong wagon and I felt like seeing it through to the end.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Originally I was going to make you out as a target for Smasher to kill instead of us, but when you didn't show any signs of turning on us we reconsidered.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Damn, this was awesome to watch from the grave.

A bit sorry I went out so fast from being to busy to do this - it really turned out great.

Nice job, visiblehowl.

Shamus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The only downside to this game is that I'll probably never ever be trusted in a Phalla game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Frankly I'd be worried if anybody trusted me to begin with.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Things I got right:

- COMPLETELY BLINDLY fingering ArrBeeBee and AcidSerra on the first night.
    - Attracting ZERO attention to tehSpectre and Abysmal Lynx

Things I got wrong:
    - Getting killed on day one
    - Posting questions

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ArrBeeBee wrote: »
    Rogues: why didn't you contact me? I dropped three or four broad hints in the thread ("Got any cash?" "We need more gold" etc) but I didn't hear a word, except from TehSpectre after he was already dead. I ended up working out DP's identity through sheer process of elimination.

I caught those, and realized you were the one that Lord Eaglelaser must have seered, but was dead at the time.

Squashua on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Things I got right:

Things I got wrong:
    - Posting questions

Not so much posting questions as then going on to talk about high-level strategy. You're either a newbie or you aren't, acting like both is incredibly suspicious.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Squashua wrote: »
    Things I got right:

Things I got wrong:
    - Posting questions

Not so much posting questions as then going on to talk about high-level strategy. You're either a newbie or you aren't, acting like both is incredibly suspicious.

Thanks!

Squashua on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So how about I just apologize for making a dumb choice and picking the wrong side. I thought stirring things up would be more fun. Either way, I won't do that anymore, and maybe Smasher and Grimmy won't bear an eternal grudge.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Obviously there's no grudge to be held. It's just a game, after all, and you certainly did succeed in making things interesting.

Too interesting for my long-term-in-game-goal of 'living', but interesting nonetheless. :P

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Alright, alright, I'll let it slide. Note that I didn't end up voting for you in the castle, much as I may have been tempted to. ;)

Smasher on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Did I not tell everyone DarkPrimus was a rogue? I fingered him from day one.

Solely, because I just wanted to fuck with someone. I had no clue he was a rogue, but when he got really defensive, it was obvious. Unfortunately, the rest of the village decided to kill me instead of going with me.

precisionk on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dude, precisionk... it was a joke. It ALWAYS was a joke.

You can joke about stuff that's true, you know.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A fun one all round. I'm still annoyed at getting vigilanted though, so much less satisfying than getting lynched by your own!

If you're going to kill me in the next game let's try and have me go out in a good way :wink:.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Heh. At that point we figured there were only four rogues, which would have meant the best way to go about things without a seer was killing people as fast as possible before Grimmy and I got offed.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    One thing I didn't understand was why you all thought ArrBeeBee was a seer when it was so very obvious from the dialogue that Eaglelaser was a (or owned a newly-deceased) seer.

I mean, I guess there could have been TWO seers, but all of you (or at least vocal ones) kept reiterating "this phalla is too small to XXX or YYY" and yet you believed there might be two seers.

Wouldn't this phalla have been too small for 2 seers?

Just sayin'. Had I survived round one, I would have pointed this out in my "let's pretend I'm an innocent" guise and probably been vigilanted for it.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I found out there were two guardians the night I attacked him (which was before he claimed to be the seer), so there being two seers wasn't out of the question. I was still suspicious of him though, as seen from the fact that I tried to bandwagon him twice before he went public.

Plus, he actually was a seer; he just wasn't on our side. Over the course of the game I made several guesses about the composition of roles that I felt were reasonable but turned out not to be true, and one of those was that an opposing faction wouldn't get a seer and a guardian (wrapped up in one person, no less).

Smasher on