As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness for May '09

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I kinda want to see Angels and Demons because of the whole secret of life conspiracy thing, but I suspect I'm going to be bored with every other aspect of the film.

Add to that I haven't seen the first movie.

Not seeing the first movie won't matter a bit, and will probably increase your enjoyment. Not only is the Angels & Demons plot completely separate from TDC, Dan Brown's plots are all exactly the same, so if you've seen/read one, you know what will happen for all of them.

That said, I liked A&D the book better than TDC.

KalTorak on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    State of Play was really good, I'm going to rent the miniseries its based on soon.

tofu on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Wolverine and Star Trek for me this month. Star Trek mainly because of Simon Pegg.

Simon Pegg is in Star Trek?
    Interest increased 10x

Even better: He's Scotty. Fucking Scotty.

Lets not forget about the time when he said as fact every odd number star trek movie is shit. :lol:

Deaderinred on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wolverine and Star Trek for me this month. Star Trek mainly because of Simon Pegg.

Interest increased 10x

Lets not forget about the time when he said as fact every odd number star trek movie is shit. :lol:

Let's hope this changes that.

urahonky on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Interest increased 10x

It has mofuckin' Simon goddamn Pegg in it, it can't be bad
    And Harold from Harold and Kumar as Sulu
    Goddamn what awesome casting

Rent on
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been anticipating Terminator Salvation for a while now, but the fact that it is PG-13 is really scaring me. I just don't think that a Terminator movie set during a future war is going to turn out so well when it isn't R rated. When they turned Die Hard PG it was like watching a movie edited for cable in the theater.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Terminator probably gets some leniency from the ratings board because it's robots. Aside from swearing, would Terminator 2 be rated R if it came out now?

Robos A Go Go on
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Terminator probably gets some leniency from the ratings board because it's robots. Aside from swearing, would Terminator 2 be rated R if it came out now?

I'd say yes. I mean the scene where the nuclear bomb goes off and everyone gets fucked while sarah is holding on to the fence is pretty intense. Plus the whole thing when Arnie skins himself. I do agree with you on the robots though, but some members of the resistance have to die too, and I'd like to see some nice deaths. I still think it looks good, I just think R rated movies have more freedom, especially violence based movies.

Also, as a huge Star Wars nerd and someone who never had interest in Star Trek, I really cannot wait for the movie. I get the added bonus of watching it without knowing if they're fucking with the source material.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I saw the poster for Drag Me To Hell and said 'why?'.

Then I saw Sam Raimi's name and went 'why?'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you haven't been following the ST movie thread, the Tomato-meter is holding strong at 22/22 so far.

XiaNaphryz on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Know what, I'm fucking starting to hate May.

It's just another month for me of "Dammit, is it June 24th yet? Is it Transformers Day yet?"

Every day's another fucking reminder that Transformers isn't out yet.

I'm hoping Terminator slightly quells my thirst for giant robot action.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
    edited May 2009
    Know what, I'm fucking starting to hate May.

It's just another month for me of "Dammit, is it June 24th yet? Is it Transformers Day yet?"

Every day's another fucking reminder that Transformers isn't out yet.

I'm hoping Terminator slightly quells my thirst for giant robot action.

Well, ST has some of the best work ILM's done in recent memory along with Iron Man, and has the same writing crew as Trans. You might as well cover 3 of ILM's big summer 4 by watching ST and T4 before Trans2. :D

XiaNaphryz on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I still cannot actually believe that people are looking forward to Transformers 2.

Bloods End on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Interest increased 10x

It has mofuckin' Simon goddamn Pegg in it, it can't be bad
    And Harold from Harold and Kumar as Sulu
    Goddamn what awesome casting

When I saw a marathon of Spaced at a cinema downtown, Edgar Wright (the director) was on hand to give commentary (and Jaffa Cakes) to the audience every few episodes. At one point, he mentioned joking with Simon about the "every odd star trek is shit" comment.
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I still cannot actually believe that people are looking forward to Transformers 2.

opinions preferences lol?

I'm among them. I have no expectations about it being a "good" movie. I do expect shit to blow up and to hopefully see more hot robot on robot ass kicking than the first. The bar is set pretty low, and nostalgia will take me a long way.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In a perfect world, there'd be enough giant robot movies for us to skip the bad ones and still enjoy 50 foot tall mechanical ass kicking.

Robos A Go Go on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »

People look forward to terrible movies all the time, this is not new.

All of the good reviews for Star Trek has surprised me, I guess it might turn out to be good after all.

tofu on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok I know this isn't a May movie but shiiiiiit...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i9813ed99c5e2b4f3c9796f4087e3ad00?imw=Y

Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Cillian Murphy, Marion Cotillard, and DiCaprio in a Chris Nolan-penned and -directed sci-fi movie? There's an awful lot of awesome packed into that sentence.

KalTorak on
    edited May 2009
    Trek's up to 104/111, 94% on the T-meter. 26/28 for top critics, 93%.

XiaNaphryz on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit... I knew it would be good. It's got Simon Pegg in it. It's gotta be good!

urahonky on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

So you don't want to see Raimi making horror movies again?

The movie's getting pretty positive reviews, most saying that it goes back to his Evil Dead approach of film making. High praise, so we'll see.

And I can't wait for Brother's Bloom. I thought Brick was one of the best movies when it came out, and I always enjoy a good con movie. If the movie can keep up the spirit of the trailer, it'll be good times.

noir_blood on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    Saw Battle for Terra on a whim. It's quite enjoyable. Sort of BSG meets Pocahontas mixed with a dash of Skies of Arcadia (for flavor). Also, the synopsis in the OP is dead wrong.
    The civil war is long since over. There's only one teen. The invasion is not dissimiliar to a Cold Equation, though less stark.

Still playing catch-up, but I think I'll have to watch Terminator and Star Trek.

I had nothing to do at a conference one evening and also went to see Battle for Terra. I thought it was a real wasted oportunity. I mean, they made the decision to say "OK, we're going to have the humans flat out try and genocide these people' but then decided they somehow wanted to dress it up for kids? I mean, I love the idea of the humans being the aggressors but the way it was portrayed (Terrans live in perfect society, Humans are completely evil) meant it was pointless.

Also, they held in the oxygen with a NET. A net with visible holes in it. And how is a planet with no oxygen the nearest inhabitable world? News for you humans, you need oxygen to breath. Why couldn't they say something like "He's dying! The pollen on your world causes them to choke, we must get him behind something to filter it out!" And spaceships powered by cogs?

So much of it could have been so much better, and it wouldn't even have needed better animators, although that would have helped too.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit... I knew it would be good. It's got Simon Pegg in it. It's gotta be good!

Just...you know...don't go in expecting it to be Simon Pegg Presents: Star Trek With Simon Pegg or anything. I loved the movie, but you've got to take it on its own merits.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Saw Battle for Terra on a whim. It's quite enjoyable. Sort of BSG meets Pocahontas mixed with a dash of Skies of Arcadia (for flavor). Also, the synopsis in the OP is dead wrong.
    The civil war is long since over. There's only one teen. The invasion is not dissimiliar to a Cold Equation, though less stark.

Still playing catch-up, but I think I'll have to watch Terminator and Star Trek.

I had nothing to do at a conference one evening and also went to see Battle for Terra. I thought it was a real wasted oportunity. I mean, they made the decision to say "OK, we're going to have the humans flat out try and genocide these people' but then decided they somehow wanted to dress it up for kids? I mean, I love the idea of the humans being the aggressors but the way it was portrayed (Terrans live in perfect society, Humans are completely evil) meant it was pointless.

Also, they held in the oxygen with a NET. A net with visible holes in it. And how is a planet with no oxygen the nearest inhabitable world? News for you humans, you need oxygen to breath. Why couldn't they say something like "He's dying! The pollen on your world causes them to choke, we must get him behind something to filter it out!" And spaceships powered by cogs?

So much of it could have been so much better, and it wouldn't even have needed better animators, although that would have helped too.

I agree with the wasted opprotunity bit. In the interests of discussion:
    1) Inhabitable planet: Humans know they can terraform the planet they arrive at, and they have non-FTL drives, so it's going to take a long, long time to get there - and if they hadn't targeted this one, they would've died out before reaching anywhere else (though they probably didn't know that at the time).
    2) Air: I honestly expected the ending to be more 'the air that the Terrans breathe is lighter than oxygen', and as a result, we end up with the humans inhabiting the below-the-clouds part.
    3) Cogs. Yeah. I dunno.

A waste, as you say. I'm just confused as to how it happened - did they decide on making it animated first, or genocide-happy first? Were they forced to make it a happy happy because the execs didn't think an animated-but-for-adults would sell?

I'd just like to find out what happened where.

Tamin on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8 has been made into a full length movie coming out this summer! http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/district9/large.html

This is very good news.

projectmayhem on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only other movie I'm somewhat looking forward to is Terminator: Salvation. The trailers have been fuckawesome, but that alone doesn't make a good movie.

RocketSauce on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The only other movie I'm somewhat looking forward to is Terminator: Salvation. The trailers have been fuckawesome, but that alone doesn't make a good movie.

I'm a little worried about how time travel in previous movies will be handled. For instance, one of the latest previews shows Connor saying
    that if they can't stop the t-800s from being made, the first "skinjobs", then the war is over and they've lost. But this Connor should have memories of fighting those as a kid. In the supposedly unchanging timeline of this universe, they've always been created, and they've always gone back, faced Connor, and failed, so he should know it's inevitable that they're created.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

The movie's getting pretty positive reviews, most saying that it goes back to his Evil Dead approach of film making. High praise, so we'll see.

Nothing against that, the poster just struck me as really... well, lame.

Positive reviews is a good sign though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8 has been made into a full length movie coming out this summer! http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/district9/large.html

This is very good news.

Yesss, just saw this trailer and I'm so looking forward to this. I think Blomkamp's going to be a great director.

Also just watched one for Moon which looks like being really good, too. I think my sci-fi needs will be covered.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

Nothing against that, the poster just struck me as really... well, lame.

Positive reviews is a good sign though.

I just got back from seeing Drag Me To Hell. It is a great horror comedy, and they got away with a LOT of shit for a PG-13 movie. See this with a full theater and you will be satisfied.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2009

It's directed by McG, which is the cinematic equivalent of finding a biohazard symbol on your breakfast cereal.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Limits of Control was existential. And most of Jarmusch's movies are. But this one...he went off the existential deep end and was laughing like a madman the entire way.

Gim on
    edited May 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    The Limits of Control was existential. And most of Jarmusch's movies are. But this one...he went off the existential deep end and was laughing like a madman the entire way.

Is that...good? I wasn't huge on Broken Flowers and I was hoping for something more in the vein of Mystery Train or at least Ghost Dog.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited May 2009
    I haven't seen Mystery Train (and truth be told, I wasn't paying the closest attention during Ghost Dog, I know, shame on me).

I had a hard time getting into it. The main character's conversations...well, interactions with other people were usually kind of good, even better once you were able to sense a pattern in how they behaved and what they were talking about. But a good chunk of the movie is the character not interacting with others. I never quite connected with the landscapes and architecture that was employed, and didn't think the music really helped (except for one spot towards the end). Somewhere around the last 30 minutes it turns practically Lynchian. That movie really did not want you to know what the plot was.

Gim on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    darleysam wrote: »

This is very good news.

Yesss, just saw this trailer and I'm so looking forward to this. I think Blomkamp's going to be a great director.

Also just watched one for Moon which looks like being really good, too. I think my sci-fi needs will be covered.

I want to see the Moon sooooo bad. I hope it makes it way to where I live.

projectmayhem on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think last I saw, it was getting a limited release in like... New York and LA or something.

That would seriously piss me off if only a couple of cities in the whole world get it on a big screen.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyone see the preview for Surveillance? Might have to check that one out. Produced by David Lynch, directed by his daughter (I'm guessing...).

RocketSauce on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would like to point out that next week what might possible be the best movie ever is being released.

"Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus"

(of course it's another from our friends at The Asylum, the studio responsible for basically all the straight-to-scifi horror titles ever.)

Trailer streaming here.

That's right. That shark jumped 30,000 feet to eat a 747. It was hungry.

fshavlak on
    edited May 2009
    I like how they were frozen in combat. They were so engaged in killing each other that they allowed a cold snap to slow them down to the point of suspended animation, but yet they still battled.

Though this raises the question of why mtv.com has a trailer for that. I know they're not about music anymore, but...how does that fit into youth-branded marketing?

Gim on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    I like how they were frozen in combat. They were so engaged in killing each other that they allowed a cold snap to slow them down to the point of suspended animation, but yet they still battled.

Though this raises the question of why mtv.com has a trailer for that. I know they're not about music anymore, but...how does that fit into youth-branded marketing?

I don't know why MTV has the trailer. To my knowledge the Asylum releases all it's stuff through sci fi.

fshavlak on
    edited May 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7ck5mcd1o

I can't believe it's real.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png