As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Cookie Brigade 2009: Sign Up Now!!

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    chibidani wrote: »
    Hey Tad. Not sure the Bawls is a good idea. Its a lot more obvious carrying around drinks than cookies. I know that the PA dudes have tried to bring in Bawls and can't because of the Convention Center's contract with Sodexho (or whatever company does all the food). I won't say "no", but beware nonetheless that you may get in trouble. This operation is all about being covert.

I sure do love your enthusiasm though! :)

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. Neverthematter! Still gonna buy/donate savory bakery treats!

Haha! I like it!
    A covert Bawls selling operation...
    Count me in guys! :-P
    But I mean that's just ridiculous... no bawls at a geek convention? That's like not having video games at a geek gathering!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    Hey Tad. Not sure the Bawls is a good idea. Its a lot more obvious carrying around drinks than cookies. I know that the PA dudes have tried to bring in Bawls and can't because of the Convention Center's contract with Sodexho (or whatever company does all the food). I won't say "no", but beware nonetheless that you may get in trouble. This operation is all about being covert.

I sure do love your enthusiasm though! :)

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. Neverthematter! Still gonna buy/donate savory bakery treats!

Haha! I like it!
    A covert Bawls selling operation...
    Count me in guys! :-P
    But I mean that's just ridiculous... no bawls at a geek convention? That's like not having video games at a geek gathering!

SHH! The point of covert is to BE covert! *Shifty eyes*

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited April 2009
    oh right!
    uhhh, quick, smoke grenade and slip away!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • SergeantAuberieSergeantAuberie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    RE: Bacon Cookies... and homemade Oreo cookies:

Bacon Oreo Cookies!l

SergeantAuberie on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    First ingredient:
    1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons bacon fat, room temperature

Oh man, I am not going that far with this.

SlickShughes on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    First ingredient:

Just the thought of that much bacon grease is going to help me stay away from cookies... :shock:

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited April 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »
    First ingredient:

Just the thought of that much bacon grease is going to help me stay away from cookies... :shock:

Not all cookies! Just bacon cookies...

SergeantAuberie on
    edited April 2009
    First ingredient:

Well, yah. I'm sure I could still manage a nice chocolate chip or sugar no matter how queasy I get. :D

nemaihne on
    edited April 2009
    First ingredient:

Well, yah. I'm sure I could still manage a nice chocolate chip or sugar no matter how queasy I get. :D

Truth be told, I have always been wary but bemused by anything involving bacon and dessert.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited April 2009
    RE: Bacon Cookies... and homemade Oreo cookies:

Bacon Oreo Cookies!l

Omg, somebody has actually tried to make these??
    AWSOME! I will buy some for sure!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yay! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just don't expect me to make bacon cookies, I have an allergy to pork. (I know, its really weird.) And yeah, 1 full cup of bacon grease? EWWW.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
    edited May 2009
    Just don't expect me to make bacon cookies, I have an allergy to pork. (I know, its really weird.) And yeah, 1 full cup of bacon grease? EWWW.

I am sure you will make some delicious non-bacon cookies. As I said earlier, I find them amusing, but not fit for consumption.

SergeantAuberie on
    edited May 2009
    definitely not... fun to think about it though... and ewww bacon fat? not thanks!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looking forward to this again. If I were to make cookies, they'd likely have a blue dot on them.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    You mean like this? thread_dot_new.png
    Somebody should totally make cookies that look like that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It would be totally doable. Basically make a white chocolate thumbprint cookie, but just use oil-based food coloring to color the chocolate blue when you're making it.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited May 2009
    I approve of this, and will coerce my baker half to do so.

SlickShughes on
  • PoisynPoisyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I started making these for the BC midnight launch for EB Games in Toronto. The Void Walkers were actually blueberry flavored (inside WoW joke for those who get it) Would these be popular if I brought some for the cookie brigade? photo.php?pid=322958&id=854430047

Poisyn on
    edited May 2009
    Poisyn wrote: »
    I started making these for the BC midnight launch for EB Games in Toronto. The Void Walkers were actually blueberry flavored (inside WoW joke for those who get it) Would these be popular if I brought some for the cookie brigade? photo.php?pid=322958&id=854430047

Haha nice! I would totally buy voidwalker cookies if you made them...
    Also, someone should make some of the cookies in these pictures: http://www.lanpartyeh.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149
    Ok you'll have to skip past all the random LAN party photos but they have some pretty awsome looking pastries in there... plasma grenades? sweet!

I'd make some but I think my baking would set PAX up for some crazy lawsuit... haha

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited May 2009
    those "grenades" are awesome!

can't see the voidwalker ones, i abhor facebook.

i'm sticking with cookies i know are easy to make, and taste good :)

chibidani on
  • chinniechinnie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hope you guys still need bakers. I'm thinking to join in this year for the first time ^^.

chinnie on
    edited May 2009
    chinnie wrote: »
    Hope you guys still need bakers. I'm thinking to join in this year for the first time ^^.

Of course!

Welcome aboard!

SergeantAuberie on
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, I think I'm going to be sick by the end of pax...
    So many good bakers coming with their goods!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited May 2009
    Alright everyone. I have a question... what exactly defines a 'vegan' cookie?

I have a great gluten-free recipe, since my sister can't eat wheat, and i was hoping to make it vegan and gluten free, and kill both birds with one stone (hooray cliches!) However, the main ingredient is melted chocolate, with a bit of butter. I was wondering if i could just use an egg substitute to make it vegan, but then i realized that chocolate has milk in it...

chibidani on
    edited May 2009
    Vegan is always a good way to go in this day and age. So many people are leaning that way. I've done some Vegan wedding cakes this year. If you are looking for a sub for the butter your best option is to go with a non hydrogenated margarine. Just make sure you check the ingredients list because some brands do in fact add a small amount of butter into the mix to enhance the flavor. If you stand in the dairy fridge long enough reading labels though you will come across one you can use.

I have have an amazing vegan buttercream frosting recipe that actually tastes good if anyone is interested!

Vegan - no animal products or animal byproducts. If you are looking to go strict vegan you are going to have to check your sugar supplier as some companies still have that nasty habit of using animal bones for the grinding process. (check out your local health food shop, they should have some you can use) The trick in vegan baking is to make things actually taste good which is difficult, make sure you have a really nice vanilla to use (mexican vanilla rocks). If the recipe calls for milk go for soy and to enhance the flavor try using a vanilla flavored one or if you are feeling really wacky go for the chocolate one!

Poisyn on
    edited May 2009
    Thanks! I'm totally gonna give it a try. I know where to get non-milk chocolate, margarine is easy, and there are a range of egg substitutes out there. I'll let you all know the results when I actually get around to trying them (which will probably be some time in June).

chibidani on
    edited May 2009
    As promised, BACON CHIP COOKIES!

DSC02128.JPG
    DSC02132.JPG

I made 2 dozen as a test batch. I used the standard toll house recipe, subbing candied bacon chopped down into bits for chopped nuts.
    It totally needs more bacon. They're still pretty good though.

SlickShughes on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I find your bacon cookies disturbing on a deep and unfathomable level.

Hypatia on
    edited May 2009
    Hypatia wrote: »
    I find your bacon cookies disturbing on a deep and unfathomable level.

So do I. I also find them delicious.

SlickShughes on
    edited May 2009
    Were they actually tasty?

Were they like savory cookies (aka you didn't put sugar in them), so more like biscuits that look like cookies? Or were they actually sweet?

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    Were they actually tasty?

Were they like savory cookies (aka you didn't put sugar in them), so more like biscuits that look like cookies? Or were they actually sweet?

I can't imagine them being anything but sweet. I was lucky enough to get a test piece of SlickShughes' candied bacon, and it was like a bacon Jolly Rancher. :D

nemaihne on
    edited May 2009
    Eek, that sounds... terrifying admittedly =) I can't even imagine what sweet bacon would taste like. =)

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    I am all about the sweet bacon, always have been. Ever since I was a kid, I dipped my bacon in my pancake syrup. Still do if I'm eating out and they under cook it (I like my bacon burnt to a crisp). I've had a second taste, and they're growing on me. Next batch I need to up the bacon and drop the chocolate. My wife in fact want me to do away with the chocolate altogether. The bacon chunks also need to be bigger. I had one with a nice sized chunk in it tonight, and it really worked.

SlickShughes on
    edited May 2009
    I agree, that's terrifyingly awsomely delicious sounding.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited May 2009
    I know my husband would love them. I think "ick".

...and all this right after me talking about Vegan cookies... ;)

chibidani on
    edited May 2009
    I'm tempted to bring them into work to test them on "normal" people. If I do, I think I'll just leave a sign saying "Not Vegetarian" and a comment sheet.

SlickShughes on
    edited May 2009
    It'll be good having that diversity: maybe carriers like myself can carry both "normal" cookies (chocolate chip etc...) and some of each of the "exotic" varieties... so we can serve vegans and bacon cookie lovers the same. =)

VThornheart on
    edited May 2009
    Chocolate and Bacon isn't such a weird concept. There is a company that produces a bacon chocolate bar that just flies off the shelf. It's the whole salty sweet concept. Like my toffee peanut butter cookies that people knock on my door at 3am for. Bacon.... yes a little weird but still tasty!

now to perfect my "monkey kisses" banana thumbprint cookies filled with peanut butter and drizzled with chocolate!

Poisyn on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All right, are you ready for this?!

I present to you, ladies and gentleman, the Cookie Dispenser 1.0, the latest in cookie traveling and dispensing technology!

Pics are spoilered to avoid spamming everyone every time they hit the page.
    Here are the parts disassembled for travel. As you can see, it breaks down into multiple pieces that are either shippable or easily rearranged to cram into a suitcase. Make note of how the rounded cardboard will protect the precious cookies from being crushed and pulped in the travails of the traveling suitcase!

3613432869_09f8da0c0b.jpg

Here you can see that the lovely decorative bow can be untied and the tube can be flipped around:

3614251712_c20e4f3d14.jpg

...to reveal the hidden cookie dispensing slot! As you can see, the cookies have been individually bagged and dropped into the tube. The dispensing slot cover is attached via velcro and hidden by the spiffy ribbon which admittedly makes it look a bit girly.

3614251828_b8821c9f52.jpg

Cookies can be pulled out one at a time via the slot!

3613433525_f54f6099ac.jpg

The next cookie uses that convenient gravity stuff to drop into place, ready for the next hungry PAXer!

3614252308_eb485bf9c8.jpg

Tubes are all well and good, you might say, but they aren't terribly easy to juggle, well, fear not! These are bundled together with these nice little straps ($2.50 at my local outdoors store).

3613434065_50a2bf8406.jpg

Knot the straps together and you have yourself a nice little cookie dispensing backpack:

3614251194_5a0a21b62f.jpg

And what cookie dispensing backpack would be complete without something to tell people what the hell you're carrying that looks like an oversized potato gatling gun?

3614251146_57a1252285.jpg

Bwahaha! My creation is complete! Now I can finally work on getting that Cookie Brigade website up.
    In actuality, this is moderately easy to put together and the parts are comparatively cheap (if you don't have some packaging company try to scam you like I did). If you need directions or want instructions on putting your own together, or you maybe want a little help and to get these extra uh...9 or 10 tubes out of my bedroom, just let me know! :D

Hypatia on
This discussion has been closed.