As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Little Things

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My grandma was diagnosed with lupus recently

Then she got violently ill and vomited so loudly it scared me and made me cry.

My grandma is a very active woman, so to see her debilitated like that wrecked me.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Vertas, there are three types of people in the world.

The Top Dog people that don't get teased.

The people that are pussies that get teased.

And the people that are so crazy people don't tease them because they don't want to be force fed their own penis.

So you have two options, First option: Be awesome. Second Option: Pee into a container and freeze it. Then beat the bully with it, he'll learn soon enough.

Can we not combine the two options?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Riale wrote: »
    the funny thing about bullying is that when you're an adult in a serious workplace it's called harassment and can eventually land you in some real hot water.

but if you're younger it's 'oh ho ho bullying isn't harmful pick yourself up sissy boy'.

weird how that changes.
    I don't see how that's weird
    kids should not be held to the same standards as adults

also because, y'know, adult harassment in the workplace can be really dangerous, as it can lead to stalking and other problems

and it's not really that much like schoolyard bullying at all

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    stop taking showers and using tp. no one's gonna mess with the stinky poop guy.

this also applies to prison i guess

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got bullied at work by this little shit who was mad I got paid almost twice as much as him for the same job.

One day we got into a physical altercation after he'd been goading me into losing my temper (which was a stupid thing to do) and I shoved him during a lunch break.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was awkward, poorly dressed (my family was poor until I was in grade nine!) and had a speech impediment. Also, I was nerdy and one of the 'smart' kids.

It would not be inaccurate to say that I only got over the complexes from the bullying that resulted from that in the past two years (I'm 24).

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the funny thing about bullying is that when you're an adult in a serious workplace it's called harassment and can eventually land you in some real hot water.

but if you're younger it's 'oh ho ho bullying isn't harmful pick yourself up sissy boy'.

weird how that changes.

well my point wasn't so much in terms of punishment, but rather how it's considered something serious that can affect your mental wellbeing to the point of lawsuits and monetary awards and such.

but between kids most people seem to think it's not any harm at all. it's kind of a weird double standard, and kids are definitely affected negatively by it (sometimes quite seriously).

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My grandma was diagnosed with lupus recently

Then she got violently ill and vomited so loudly it scared me and made me cry.

My grandma is a very active woman, so to see her debilitated like that wrecked me.

oh sweet jesus this thread is depressing me more than i thought it would when i started it :(
    i don't know for sure if i have it yet
    my mom has it and i've been showing a lot of symptoms
    so we're going to go ahead and assume no for now. i get my results back probably tomorrow or tuesday (monday is a holiday)

beavotron on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sorry, Beavo!

Hope you don't have lupus!

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    beavo would you like to see my complex

I am told it is impressive

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    wow

I had no idea people actually get bullied in high school

this is just

it's such an alien concept to me

I'unno; maybe I just go to a high school in a nice neighborhood

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Beavo my friend gave his girlfriend one of the L4D Valentine things for Valentine's Day.

I told him I know the lady wo made it and he was all, "Give her a super hi5"

so

hi5

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i sent my step mom some poo-pourri for a random present
    she was SO unbelievably happy with it
    she told me she couldnt go near the bathroom for like 2 hours after my dad used it
    and she told this story to her friends
    and now all of her friends are going nuts over it too

mully on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    wow

this is just

or maybe y'all is just sissies

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    wow

this is just

I was aware it happened

I have never ever experienced it or seen it happen

It's a weird concept to me.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wow

this is just

Or maybe people think you'll sit on them, fatty.

MKR on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It would help if I could remember what damn kind of motherboard I have, of course

no, not Gigabyte

no, not Asus

Abit, that's right

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    wow

this is just

I was aware it happened

It's not like it is in shows though. (at least for me)

A lot of it is passive aggressive shit or just plain "hey let's make that kid feel absolutely awful" attacks.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

weird how that changes.

well my point wasn't so much in terms of punishment, but rather how it's considered something serious that can affect your mental wellbeing to the point of lawsuits and monetary awards and such.

but between kids most people seem to think it's not any harm at all. it's kind of a weird double standard, and kids are definitely affected negatively by it (sometimes quite seriously).
    but that's my point, it's not a double standard
    I have little sympathy for adults that are still traumatized 15 years later because Meathead McGillicutty gave them a wedgy in the lockeroom and bloodied his lip once.

I was really awkward in high school and I got teased a lot. In fact, I will openly admit that in Jr. High this really tomboyish girl that rode my bus once punched me and then dragged me across the street by my hair. I was a goddamn puss. That's no one's fault but my own, and I fucking got over it and moved on. Stop expecting other people to respect you if you don't respect yourself.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TasteicleTasteicle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Physical bullying isn't that common anymore, but you guys never saw people catching shit from people?

Tasteicle on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    It would help if I could remember what damn kind of motherboard I have, of course

no, not Gigabyte

no, not Asus

Abit, that's right

i seem to recall having to download old drivers once
    i don't remember why, but i tried it on a whim and it worked.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The fact that I survived the teacher-led bully chorus in school is pretty amazing.

It still horrifies me when I give it much thought, but I've gotten good at blocking it out.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Veretas wrote: »
    wow

this is just

I was aware it happened

It's not like it is in shows though. (at least for me)

A lot of it is passive aggressive shit or just plain "hey let's make that kid feel absolutely awful" attacks.

Common tactics employed by bullies when I was in school were:

-Fake compliments that they then used to laugh in my face when I thought to take them seriously.

-Purposeful exclusion (let's invite everyone around here but the guy we're trying to bully!)

-Attempting to embarrass me in any way possible.

The straightforward insults were minimal, but their tactics were certainly effective.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

weird how that changes.

I have little sympathy for adults that are still traumatized 15 years later because Meathead McGillicutty gave them a wedgy in the lockeroom and bloodied his lip once.

I was really awkward in high school and I got teased a lot. In fact, I will openly admit that in Jr. High this really tomboyish girl that rode my bus once punched me and then dragged me across the street by my hair. I was a goddamn puss. That's no one's fault but my own, and I fucking got over it and moved on. Stop expecting other people to respect you if you don't respect yourself.
    And now you run around in a dress!

<3

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

no, not Gigabyte

no, not Asus

Abit, that's right

i seem to recall having to download old drivers once
    i don't remember why, but i tried it on a whim and it worked.

I'm switching back to my old onboard sound, since apparently the newest drivers for my sound card are balls and like to make horrible crackling sounds

And I just realized I probably need to enable onboard sound in the BIOS again

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ugh i have to go pee
    which means i have to venture into the shit room

and then i'm going to sleep

night guys, i love you all, sweet dreams, friends forever!
    especially veretas
    cause bullies are dumb.

beavotron on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Vertas, there are three types of people in the world.

The Top Dog people that don't get teased.

The people that are pussies that get teased.

And the people that are so crazy people don't tease them because they don't want to be force fed their own penis.

So you have two options, First option: Be awesome. Second Option: Pee into a container and freeze it. Then beat the bully with it, he'll learn soon enough.

Can we not combine the two options?

If you wish to be a pioneer be my guest.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My schools have always been kinda strange and outside of the norm.

Well maybe not the norm but definitely out of stereotypes.

We're just nice kids, I guess.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tasteicle wrote: »
    Physical bullying isn't that common anymore, but you guys never saw people catching shit from people?

not at the level I would classify as "bullying," though

but I guess it depends on what level you classify as bullying

I'm sure that by some people's metrics, this entire year, I've been bullying that kid who punched me

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

weird how that changes.

And now you run around in a dress!

<3
    completely unrelated! 8-)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've never been physically bullied. I got punched in the stomach once by some dick of a kid in 4th grade.

Verbal, well there was some of that, but the guys that did it were nearly always idiots who said that shit to pretty much everyone, so I paid it no mind.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Gnight Beavo!

Hugs and such

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I mean sure shit gets pitched on a regular basis.

But it is always in good fun, and I've never seen anybody sad or crying in my school except for this girl who's brother went to jail or if someone breaks up with somebody.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pretty much from elementary school up I was involved in a 'gifted program' of one sort or another, so I missed out on the physical bullying stuff and there was just general name calling bullshit in middle school.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    veretas you sound like a gigantic sissy

oh boo hoo someone is bullying me

geez, grow up

Hey Randall_Fagg

Go get punched and then walk away without so much as a one-liner

And then post about it on the internet!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    veretas you sound like a gigantic sissy

oh boo hoo someone is bullying me

geez, grow up

Hey Randall_Fagg

Go get punched and then walk away without so much as a one-liner

And then post about it on the internet!

way ahead of you, partner

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh yeah I was in retard physical therapy in... 2nd grade?

Because I wasn't very active, I guess.

I was literally in a class with a kid in a wheelchair and some retarded kids. I still don't know why I was in that class.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

While I don't necessarily disagree with the thrust of your argument, I think you're oversimplifying things a little.

If it's just 'yeah I got beaten up a few times and it sucked' then you're right, still having issues fifteen years later is kind of crappy.

But I mean, in my case, it was a five year program of psychological harassment that never let up. These kids were devious and quite capable of crushing my self-esteem at that point in time, and it wasn't just one or two either. It was entire groups of the 'popular' kids who were working at it.

I mean, I got over it eventually, but to suggest that this can't lead to psychological problems is I think a little unfair. Not everyone complaining about being bullied is just a pussy.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »
    BEAVO

I feel pretty shitty today too.

But not because of bad smelling shit.

Just a person who is a 19 year old bully and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it.

Sweep the leg.

This cheered me up so much thank you

Alternate solution: Sign up for http://www.incredible-adventures.com/russian_ops1.html. They teach you to kill a man with a shovel.

No one will bully you ever again.

this doesn't seem like the thing you'd have to teach

i mean, you just hit them with it, right

unless they're talking the art of shovel-to-shovel combat

that probably has some intricacies

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh yeah I was in retard physical therapy in... 2nd grade?

Because I wasn't very active, I guess.

I was literally in a class with a kid in a wheelchair and some retarded kids. I still don't know why I was in that class.
    Janson isn't actually your wife

she's your nurse

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg