As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BLITZ ON] MEN OF WAR - Assault Squad is Out (NSF56k or Shermans)

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
Men of War: Assault Squad is now on Steam!

Did you ever play Soldiers: Heroes of World War II? If you didn't, it's free on GameTap right now, so if you have a friend to play through the coop campaign with, you should check it out. Whether or not you've played it, though, it doesn't matter: it has a sequel out that is like 10 times as good. It's called Men of War and it's awesome.

WHAT IS MEN OF WAR
Images that follow seized without permission from the Internet at large but mostly RockPaperShotgun.com. Sorry!
mow.jpg
mow3.jpg

Men of War is a tactical World War II strategy game. There is no base or unit building. You get a set amount of points, and you buy units with those points. Then you use those units to blow the crap out of bad guys, or the environment, or friendly people on accident. Other times you use those units to seize an objective, or attack an area that your opponents defend, or to steal a valuable cargo trailer and tow it back to your base while the enemy tries to do the same thing. It's kind of like Close Combat crossed with Commandos crossed with Company of Heroes. Anything that starts with a C is probably in this game, come to think of it. Unique features in Men of War:
  • Every unit has an individual inventory and can pick up stuff like ammunition or guns from the ground
  • Every VEHICLE has a unique inventory, letting you refuel and rearm enemy vehicles whose crew you have killed
  • Every unit can be individually controlled with something called "direct control," which is tons of fun for something like a Tiger tank. You basically drive around and shoot people, or if it's a man you run around and shoot people. A little like a 3rd person shooter but slower and more tactical.
  • The AI is ridiculously intelligent; you can order a squad to take cover behind a wall and they'll stay there and shoot at enemies from behind it, or you can tell them to hide in the bushes and they'll remain hidden until they ambush the unsuspecting enemies
  • The game is quite realistic (although ranges have been scaled down to accomodate players). Why is it realistic? Well...
  • Tank combat! The tank shells all fly in accurate trajectories and everything, but the real awesome part is the calculation of penetration, which takes into account angle, speed, and armor. You can not only blow up enemy tanks, but knock out the treads, shoot the turret or the barrel, or blow through the engine, or smash into the crew quarters and kill everyone inside.
  • Infantry combat! Machineguns will mow down 20 enemy infantry in a few seconds, rifles will kill their targets in a shot or two, and a grenade can make meat out of men
  • The terrain! Every building and object is 100% destructable. You can DRIVE a TANK through a HOUSE and CRUSH EVERYTHING. It's awesome.
  • The game has a million units: flamethrower infantry, Fallschirmjaegers, Stormtroopers, King Tigers, Fireflies, upgunned Shermans, uparmored Sherman Jumbos, M10s, M18s, T-34s, Tigers, Panthers, a million Panzer IV variants, plus Panzer IIIs and Panzer IIs and Panzer Is, light vehicles out the wazoo, tons of artillery, and so on. That's just a small sliver of what you have available.
  • Single player campaign that's moderately fun, ability to play through all those missions in coop to make it totally fun, and fantastic multiplayer with lots of game modes
  • Awful, awful voice acting! JUST SO BAD. Russians hate paying for voice actors or something.

mowmain.jpg

Sounds like fun eh? Well if you want to get in on the action, you can buy it from like 8 places. Your best bet right now is to buy Men of War on Steam or at the very least try out the Men of War demo but I'm sure you can find all sorts of places to purchase it. The DRM, I believe, is quite lax, and there's none of that Starforce crap that Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 had. The demo on Steam appears to be partially broken, or at least it won't really install; try GamersHell instead.

men1.jpg
Men_of_War7.jpg

Now what?
The game isn't nearly as hardcore as, say, an actual turn-based wargame, but if you're used to "select all of my units and click attack" there's going to be a learning period. Single player and multiplayer are two different beasts, but by far the best way to play single player is coop: doing it with a friend is much more fun (MIND OUT OF GUTTERS). Twice as fun with voice chat, too! You'll never top the thrill of yellling at your friend for destroying the Panzer IV you stole because he thought it was an enemy tank.

men.jpg

I've made a lot of videos of the game in action. This is the first one; just follow the video responses to see the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48S8WmRBxFM

TIPS FOR ALL GAME MODES:
  • Direct control turns your men into supermen, or ubermensch if you're playing as the Wehrmacht. Hold down control to activateit or hit end to toggle it (I use end)
  • People who are prone are less likely to die in pretty much every situation, unless they're trying to run away.
  • Mortars are murder. If you're being shelled by a mortar, take it out as fast as possible. Also, use mortars!
  • Flamethrowers have perhaps the best possible cost/benefit ratio if you use them right. You can roast an entire squad in a second or two, and a few seconds of flame on an enemy tank will set it on fire and knock it out forever.
  • Smoke grenades can provide wonderful cover if you need to cross an open field.
  • There are lots of little tricks you can do to reduce micro. For example, to repair a tank, just select the tank and hit the repair button in the lower right. A tank crewman will get out of the tank, pick up the repair kit from off the tank, repair it, replace the kit, and get back inside.
  • Similarly, the 1-9 hotkeys in the middle/bottom of the screen (where WoW also puts its skills) save lots of time for grenades and stuff like that, and I think you can drag any skill you want to those bars.
  • Riflemen and infantry like them can build sandbags, which are great cover. Click on the little gear in the lower right, click on the shovel/sandbag button, and drag out the sandbags.
  • Things like AT guns, mortars, and heavy machineguns come with their own cover AND concealment. Click on the gear in the lower right and you'll see the option to deploy either bushes (don't ask me where they come from) or a little sandbag pit. Once deployed, these aren't moving, though, so you'll have to abandon them eventually.

Stolen from the DMS forums:
physics.png
  • The circle around your cursor indicates the spread radius
  • The first figure in white shows you the distance in meters
  • The figure in the box indicates you the penetration strength of your gun, it depends on your gun and distance
  • The color of the box indicates if you can penetrate the enemies' tank armour or not
  • Green means it can be a successful hit
  • Yellow means it can cause damage to the tank
  • Red means it is very unlikely you cause any damage
  • Every shot on the same target increases the accuracy
  • HE shells are less accurate than AP shells

Also keep in mind that if the little fuzzy dot is red instead of orange or blue, your shot is obscured. For an AP shell, this might not matter, because if it's being obscured by a tree it will just go through the tree, but usually this means there is a building or YOUR OWN TANK in the way, so don't fire until you figure out what's blocking you.

TIPS FOR SINGLE PLAYER/COOP:
  • The game is quite difficult, so don't try anything rash unless you're prepared to face the consequences
  • Direct control can be helpful; it goes a long way to making each guy count
  • If you open up the objective list and click on the little binoculars near the objective, it will show you where the objective is
  • Salvage everything that might be useful, or that looks cool. Nazi uniforms look cool! But they are evil.

mow3.jpg

TIPS FOR MULTIPLAYER:
  • Eyes on the prize! If the objective is to capture certain points, CAPTURE THEM! And so on. Stormtroopers and their infantry equivalent on each side capture points faster.
  • Quality over quantity over quality! Don't just buy the most expensive tank, because if it gets knocked out that sucks, but resist the urge to buy a bunch of tanks and swarm the enemy, because one well-used tank is much better than three badly-managed tanks. Direct control is quite helpful here but mostly on the attack.
  • Let the computer take control of tricky shots if the target is moving fast and you're having trouble leading.
  • Mines are great for holding on to a location, but they only work once or twice before a sapper shows up. Don't expect mines to hold your flank forever.
  • Best way to take out tanks, besides shooting them with tanks? Infantry with AT grenades are fantastic. Double click on a tank and your dude will attack it with his AT nade. Select the tank first to see its line of sight.
  • If you can steal an enemy tank, that's sweet. Tank crew are very cheap, so buy them and repair overextended enemy armor that you've knocked out. To keep this from happening to you, use the dynamite on each tank to detonate a vehicle you have to abandon.
  • Keep everything moving. A tank, mortar, or AT gun that your opponent can pinpoint in the fog of war is as good as dead once he gets around to attacking it. If you move after every four or five shots, you'll stay much safer and cause your opponent much more trouble.
  • Right click on a unit you're thinking of buying, and read the box that pops up. Fun historical info, right? Now click the "show detail" or "show specifications" or whatever, and go HOLY CRAP because this tells you everything you need to know about vehicles and tanks. It is INCREDIBLY useful, and you should mostly use it for comparing the power of guns on tanks and the thickness of armor.
  • Keep your infantry spread out, or they'll all die to something in one impressive but somewhat depressing explosion.
  • You can steal stuff like body armor or AT grenades from dead enemy troops. I once picked up a panzerfaust with a tank crewman I didn't need for anything else, and 10 minutes later, out of nowhere, he used it to blow the crap out of a Puma.

mow1.jpg

More information please
Okay sure. Right now we've got Germany, Britain, the USA, Russia, and the Japanese. There are tons of maps and basically the game is awesome. Lots of Russian people play it so if you speak Russian you'll feel right at home, only you wont be drunk on vodka so it's not completely like being Russian. If you played Soldiers: Heroes of WWII you'll mostly be familiar with the basics but Men of War improves a lot with the controls. Infantry are now grouped into squads and the AI is much better, leading to much less "my men are dumb and died" and much more "I AM EISENHAUR, I DEFECTED FROM AMERICANS TO GERMANS BECAUSE I LOVE THE TIGER!"

There is a standalone expansion called Red Tide which adds some moderately fun single player/coop missions but isn't really worth it unless you have a good coop buddy to play with.

There's a semi-sequel, Assault Squad, coming in the moderately distant future. There is little information available about it.

c1.pngc2.png
Look at that! He hid a Tiger in a building! He drove the Tiger straight into the building!

Cool Links for Awesome People
Men of War Forums
Rock Paper Shotgun articles on Men of War. See how many there are? Those are all good articles. Read 'em.
My YouTube channel. I make lots of Men of War videos; I am to be both funny and informative. Learn tactics and World War II history, or just check out what the game looks like in motion.
GameRankings page which is even more impressive if you disregard "Cheat Code Central's" stupid score.
A very good review that breaks down the positives and negatives, all without insulting women or minorities!

Also some people mod the game but I dunno anything about that.

Finally:
mow3.jpg

Flamethrowers!

Not only can you set PEOPLE on fire, but you can set BUILDINGS on fire (burning the people inside), GRASS on fire (eliminating the concealment for the people hiding there, and setting THEM on fire), TREES on fire (killing the sniper who climbed up there for a better shot), TANKS on fire (roast the crew, wait for it to cool, steal the tank!), CHICKENS on fire (lunch), and anything you set on fire can spread to whatever's next to it! Really they could make a second game like this where instead of fighting in World War II you set it on fire.

TychoCelchuuu on

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This sounds incredible. Unfortunately I have little time to play this right now. Fortunately that rarely stops me from getting something. I'll at least pull down the demo and give it a spin which I imagine will make me instantly purchase this. $27USD on Steam seems like a steal.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I tried the demo of this game and it is indeed quite fun. Now I need to decide if I want the instant gratification of steam or to order it off of amazon. Hmm...

Igel on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I saw this awhile back and passed it off as just another cheap WW2 strategy game that wouldn't be very good. But now you're telling me it's awesome AND I can directly control each unit AND it's only 26.99? Well hot damn. I love these kind of strategy games that let take command of each individual unit. Battlestations Midway did it, and so does the sequel Battlestations Pacific (another game on Steam we need to get together to play, dammit). Since this lets me do the same, even for infantry units, I'm now quite intrigued.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haven't gotten around actually trying this mod (will do so later tonight if I get the time), but I suspect many would be well served by using it provided it does what it's supposed to do; remove the atrocious English voice acting and replace it with "proper" Russian (it's subbed anyway). Should take care of everything except the pre-rendered movies.

http://digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2719

Dírhael on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i want this. i want this so much

tyrannus on
    edited May 2009
    Anyone else having trouble getting the demo on steam? Vista 32bit here. I click the install demo button like any other game, but it just spins the loading cursor for a second and then nothing. I've closed and re-launched steam several times now and clicked the link from the site as well (http://store.steampowered.com/app/7890/) and still nothing.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited May 2009
    Anyone else having trouble getting the demo on steam? Vista 32bit here. I click the install demo button like any other game, but it just spins the loading cursor for a second and then nothing. I've closed and re-launched steam several times now and clicked the link from the site as well (http://store.steampowered.com/app/7890/) and still nothing.

Yeah, I've been unable to download the demo, too. :(

Dashui on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is it with the Russians making the most awesome strategy games ever?

I'm getting this. It's really just too bad I don't have a friend with a PC that can handle this shit...

Richard_Dastardly on
  • IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I couldn't get the demo off steam either. So I just googled it and got it someplace else. Specifically: http://www.gamershell.com/download_39500.shtml . Awesome demo moment: Shooting through two ruined half tracks to kill a man on the other side.

Igel on
    edited May 2009
    the demo is pretty cool but jesus the voice acting

jesus, you were not kidding

tyrannus on
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the link Igel, downloading now.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited May 2009
    tyrannus wrote: »
    the demo is pretty cool but jesus the voice acting

jesus, you were not kidding

It can't be as bad as World Leaders: Clash of Nations. All of the troops in the game would scream "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSAAAAAAAH" in this high pitched, annoying, American sounding voice. Downloading the demo now, though.

Dashui on
    edited May 2009
    why do the germans say "viel deutschland" MUCH GERMANY

tyrannus on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Maybe it's an expression in German that doesn't translate well literally.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    why do the germans say "viel deutschland" MUCH GERMANY

because they want much more germany. I mean, duh. You don't know anything about history do you?

/sarcasm

Also now downloading the demo. Thanks for the link Igel.

Kartan on
    edited May 2009

Ich habe keine blasse Ahnung

BUT it is a fun game. I like taking direct control of the tank. I just wish I could turn the voice acting off

tyrannus on
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Ich habe keine blasse Ahnung

BUT it is a fun game. I like taking direct control of the tank. I just wish I could turn the voice acting off

You mean you don't love lines like this one (this one is so ending up as my new ringtone)? Most of the voices are terrible, but that line cracks me up every time :lol:

I just listened through some of the lines from that Russian voices mod I posted a link to earlier and I have to say, they sound a lot better. Perfect? Maybe not, but it sure is a whole lot better than the original ones.

EDIT: I'm also happy to report that the voices mod worked as advertised, and made the game a whole lot more immersive.

Dírhael on
  • PoppinHobbitPoppinHobbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Confirming this game is awesome and Direct2Drive is crap.

Gonna buy a 2nd version off steam so I can actually play multiplayer.

PoppinHobbit on
    edited May 2009
    The voice acting in Soldiers: Heroes of World War II was slightly less bad and slightly more ridiculous. When you shot Germans they'd say stuff like "at least I'll get some sleep in hospital now" or something crazy. Ordering your Russians around, they'd say "For Stalin!" in a hilarious voice, and the US soldiers would go "let's show 'em how we do it in Missouri!" in a hilarious American voice.

Actually come to think about it Men of War has some stuff that's about that bad.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2009
    You guys weren't kidding with the voice actors. Sooo bad.

That said, I'll definitely be picking this up sometime soon. I can't remember the last time I went from feeling like I was on top of the world (manual control of the tank picking off fleeing troop transports) to total despair (realizing that the right track was blown and after getting out to fix it having several German squads appear out of the brush and slaughter me) so quickly.

AngrySquirrel on
    edited May 2009
    The worst is when your tread is not only broken, but broken on the side that the enemy is firing from, which means anyone who gets out to repair it is going to get shot.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2009
    yeah if I kept playing I'm sure I'd rack up about 20 million casualties.

tyrannus on
    edited May 2009
    The sale ends sometime tomorrow, everyone! Buy it while the going's good, or you'll never be able to enjoy World War II in digital form on your PC! Because nobody makes any games based on it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This game is awesome, and Tycho is awesome. You're an awesome man for making this thread.

This game is the best in multiplayer, whether in coop or versus. Coop lets you divide the battlespace between you and your friends so you can easily manage your squads without getting information overload. And versus is another beast entirely. It's great.

And the voice acting. Oh my God. One time I heard an American soldier shout "For the Motherland!" What the fuck?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited May 2009
    So I just played a 4v4 tank battle, Britains (enemies) vs Germans (me). There was a lot of awesome fighting between Panzer IVs and Sherman Fireflies and stuff, but the highlight of the game was when I took a crewman from one of my destroyed tanks, grabbed the dynamite from the hulk my tank, snuck behind enemy lines, ran up behind one of their Centurion tanks which was firing at my ally's Panther, set the dynamite, and ran away.

The explosion shook the screen and I killed his tank without even losing my brave tank crewman :D

TychoCelchuuu on
  • taco144taco144 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you dont feel like playing multiplayer and are tired with the campaign you should check this mod out. There are a ton of other mods on that sight too.

http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=39225

taco144 on
    edited May 2009
    Oh hey, so there's a new patch out. Does this one finally add in the Japanese?

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited May 2009
    darksteel wrote: »

Don't think so. At least, I haven't seen any Japanese lately. I remember reading the changelog and they might have added a few new things but mostly it was balancing. I think they added a giant American tank, was one of the big changes.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2009

Don't think so. At least, I haven't seen any Japanese lately. I remember reading the changelog and they might have added a few new things but mostly it was balancing. I think they added a giant American tank, was one of the big changes.

That's a shame. I was hoping for a Pacific themed battle with my friends this weekend.

Looking through the changelog now, they added the T29, which was a tank never fielded in actual combat. Still fun, though.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    holy shit this looks AMAZING

how do i get the fucking demo to download

Evil Multifarious on
    edited May 2009
    There's an alternate link the OP if Steam's still pulling its silly shenanigans.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited May 2009
    fuck it, i just bought it

LET MY TAX REFUND GO TO GOOD USE!

this game sounds like everything i've ever wanted.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited May 2009
    Is it wrong for me to be playing the Valkyria Chronicles soundtrack while I'm playing this? The battle music make it sound that much more epic.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Is it wrong for me to be playing the Valkyria Chronicles soundtrack while I'm playing this? The battle music make it sound that much more epic.

The only wrong way to play Men of War is alone when you could be playing coop. Also it's wrong to play with supertanks because that's silly. Also it's wrong to mine everything on one part of the map and never attack the control points, which every once in a while my teammate seems to do. Dummies.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got this after reading the thread intro and I am very impressed, to say the least. It's rough on the edges but the core game is fantastically deep.

It really, really needs some tutorials though. Second mission in the SP campaign- how the hell do you lay mines? It takes you from one tank + 5 guys in mission one to 200 guys, 3 tanks and 6 artillery pieces, defending against an infinite assault from 2 sides in mission two. Totally epic but I am completely fucking lost in the mechanics right now, it feels like the first time playing dwarf fortress.

Alethiometer on
    edited May 2009
    If I recall correctly, you first put the mines in your inventory by picking them up (of course). Switch from your rifle to the mine as your primary weapon in the bottom left of the screen. Be careful, though. With the mine equipped, infantry walk very slowly. With the mine equipped, a "deploy mine" order icon should now be present in the unit commands in the bottom right of the screen. It looks like a green land mine. If it isn't, check the advanced commands button (it looks like a two grey gears). Once you select the order, confirm it by clicking on the area of ground where you want the mine placed. The mine will then be active.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks! Tomorrow the Germans are going to get it. I managed to hit 95% last time without any mines, I imagine they'll help thin out the enemy tanks considerably.

Alethiometer on
    edited May 2009
    The only way I won that mission is by frantically repairing two Panzer IV's in the lull between assaults, manning them, and using them as my primary defensive guns behind the anti-tank artillery. Because fuck me if the guns on those Soviet light tanks couldn't penetrate the German armor.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How was War leaders anyway? I missed the release.

Damn have you seen the trailers? Wow.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
    edited May 2009
    This game is really hard. I look forward to playing multiplayer though, I bet it's nuts.

Evil Multifarious on