As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Who's playing Battlefield 1942 / Vietnam / 2 / 2142 / Heroes? We are!

1234568»

• Options
    MafMaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oops, just realised that what I was calling the Ganz in my previous posts is actually the Lambert Carbine.

I have enough points for an upgrade, but it's not letting me have it. There are so many things that I want to unlock.

Maf on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maf wrote: »
    Oops, just realised that what I was calling the Ganz in my previous posts is actually the Lambert Carbine.

I have enough points for an upgrade, but it's not letting me have it. There are so many things that I want to unlock.

Lambert Carbine is the poop. It's only use (imho - because I suck with it) is for self defense inside the titan when you're planting RDX on the consoles. As a general assault weapon it blows, I practically prefer the Engineer's SMGs to it. Personal taste.

Originally I hated the Ganz HMG and would prefer the stock guns until the more I used the Ganz recently that I am loving it.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm really in the mood for special forces, or just plain BF2 this week. Who wants to get some grappling hook action going?

Sanius on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So seeing how I bought NS but it was during a time when they well, it wasn't working, I feel I need to justify that 15$ if I still have it. Count me in as The Cow King. (tomorrow of course.)

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, playing as Xanithor, since I seem to have better luck playing on this ID. Is NS worth it?

Zandracon on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Could I get in on the list in the OP? JamesGecko, Battlefield Heroes.

Frem on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sanius wrote: »
    I'm really in the mood for special forces, or just plain BF2 this week. Who wants to get some grappling hook action going?

For the love of god, xfire me for some BF2, any flavor.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Is it just me or does this game crash every other time it runs?

Maf on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sanius wrote: »

For the love of god, xfire me for some BF2, any flavor.
    Are you free friday night? I was going to be busy but I am going to be working till eight, so that means any plans for the night are shot. However, I can sacrifice four hours for BF2 action. Sound good?

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    When 2142 doesn't crash, it is fun as hell. When do you guys normally play?

Maf on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ugh. One kill shy of the Gold Engineer Badge and then their Titan blows.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I had an awful awful 2142 night. Got my first purple heart badge, and I feel ashamed.

Maf on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okay I am installing BF2 and SF.

I get off work around 10 PM tonight, and I want to pull an all nighter. who is in?

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I am about to get on Special Forces. Anyone game?

Sanius on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Give me about 30 minutes to wrap up some work.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    For some reason I don't have any menu buttons

this happened once before but I Forgot how I fixed it

Sanius on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    2142 is one of the very few games that is stable on my pc. I have more issues with tf2 than this.

And I'd quote myself but I'll say it again

Ganz Ownz

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    getting on SF now. I'll be on vent

Sanius on
  • Options
    RecoillessRecoilless Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Does any one know how to get around the inadequate os privileges bug in bf2?

Supposedly the solution is to run as administrator but I'm using vista and that option is greyed out in properties.

Recoilless on
    Once a month women act the way men do all the time.
    -Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    Raoul DukeRaoul Duke Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I played the hell out of 2142 for the longest time until I found TF2. There was something about the team play on most 2142 servers that kind of sucked most of the time. Still, if there was the occasional PA 2142 night I'd be well up for that. There's something about TF2 that leaves me craving gunship and drop pod kills.

Raoul Duke on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, installed BF2142. Can't find a way to register the expansion. It said click this button to open a browser, no browser opened. It said if no browser opens, click the link on your Desktop. There's no link on my Desktop. Looking through their shitty website now.

Hawk wrote: »
    I just did the Digital Download myself.

Here's the link: http://www.battlefield.com/activate/bf2142/index.html

It also should have created a .txt file on the desktop as well.

Just got the deluxe edition today. I tried this, but I just got "System Error. Please try again later." This after I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out which EA accoutn was which, since it gave me a choice of like 5 to pick from.
    This is absolutely the worst game I've ever had these kind of problems with. We'll see if EA support is worth the $20 I just sent their way.

By the way, do you guys still play, or has everyone gone to do their own thing?

Skexis on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't install my digital version of 2142 with the ea downloader. it'll start up the install process then close it. originally I had tried to reinstall after attempting to play it after a year, and getting invalid cd key when trying to join a game. but the uninstall process had the same problem as the install process, so I deleted my files instead.

in short, ea downloader is a load of shit

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If people are playing this i'd be willing to re-install, i've always liked 2142, be cool to get together with PAers.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Raoul Duke wrote: »
    I played the hell out of 2142 for the longest time until I found TF2. There was something about the team play on most 2142 servers that kind of sucked most of the time. Still, if there was the occasional PA 2142 night I'd be well up for that. There's something about TF2 that leaves me craving gunship and drop pod kills.

See I get the complete opposite. I've never seen teamwork on a pub TF2 server but I can frequently hook up with pub squads that are Three Musketeer one-for-all-and-all-for-one ing it up, and these aren't even clan amtes who are slumming it on a pub server.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If you're still having the issues with NS for 2142, I did a bit of searching and came across this:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlefield-2142-technical-support-faqs/118563-unmodified-content-error-solution-guide.html

1> Install BF2142 (only if new installation, not required if you have BF2142 and you want to install NS)
    2> Install 1.50 (same as above, if you have it allready, skip this)
    3> Install NS
    4> Registry change
    1. Go to the start menu and select "Run".
    2. In The Box that pops up type "regedit".
    3. This has opened the registry. Don't ask what it is, because it's kinda complex.
    4. If you need to make a back up select "File" and then the 2nd option named "Export". Select where you want the backup and then save it.
    5. Over on the left is a frame with all the registry "Folders" for lack of a better word. The third(or so) one should be "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE". Next to it , on the left, is a plus sign. Click on it to expand it.
    6. Click the plus (+) sign next to "Software".
    7. Click the plus (+) sign next to "Electronic Arts".
    8. Click the plus (+) sign next to "EA GAMES". Yes, it is in capitals.
    9. Click the plus (+) sign next to "Battlefield 2142".
    10. Find the registry key(entry) called Version.
    11. Right click on it and select "Modify".
    12. Modify it to 1.10
    13. Exit the registry editor.
    14. Install the latest official patch.
    15. Try to join the server again.
    5> Install 1.50 again

I recently bought Northern Strike for $10 and found that every time I tried to join one of the 3 NS only servers, it would load and allow me to hit join, then drop me back to the main screen saying I needed to have unmodified content. The fix I listed there worked for whatever reason, though the site lists other methods as well.

EA downloader is utter shit though, I agree. It linked me to their auth site, and it took a while for me to figure out I had to click on the "link" tab to use my existing login/pass for 2142 to make it work with my account and let me install. Otherwise it was giving me invalid email/username/password messages constantly.

While NS only has 3 extra maps that I've seen played, man it is fun. Huge areas, tons of walkers, the Goliaths. The alpine map is seriously a blast, I wish they had used this theme in more than just wake island and here.

I do have one tip I'll share though which was NOWHERE explained during the in-game tutorials for the pak rockets on the assault rifle:

While you can use the rockets as direct fire and hope to catch your opponents in the area, I notice a lot of people don't realise the true use of the weapon. First, zoom in on an object, and the numbers within your reticle indicate the distance the object is from you - this distance indicator also is telling you the exact distance at which your rockets will detonate. (ever been drivin mad when your rockets seemingly detonate in midair for no damn reason?)

I was seriously shitting bricks when I read that you could use your mouse wheel to change the distance at which your rockets explode. Suddenly you're able to zoom in on an object, set your rockets to detonate 2-4 meters past the barrier, and catch your opponents with an airburst of up to 4 rockets, wiping out far more than if you simple shot it at the side of the wall or object. Suddenly your rockets are these amazing new weapons - you KNOW there's some dude on top of one of those bunkers and you had no way of hitting with the rockets before - now you can airburst over top and root him out easily. You can set them to detonate 2m past a wall, van, flag barriers, and now you can demolish the squad behind it, instead of watching sadly as your rockets soar past to hit the ground far behind harmlessly.

There's also the chance I'm just really dumb, but I don't remember anywhere this being properly explained in the game.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I enjoyed 2142 for a time, but I kinda grew out of mindless pubbing. I will say 2142 had the most stellar infantry combat for BF series so far. Now that i think of it, i loved the PAC assault rifle, it was so accurate, minimal recoil decent damage. Fuck the callisto and baur. That thing could eat through squads.

Also for the time the exploit worked, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nza_WrLRYik

marty on
    tf2_sig.png