As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lexx - The Liberal Sci-Fi

IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
What with my previous thread on Babylon 5 getting me into some sci-fi i missed and regret missing. Can you strike gold twice with Lexx? I've just been given the first series (well the 4 long extended episodes) and want know, is it worth continuing with?

I've heard both good things and bad and generally Wikipedia is up to it's normal non-opinionated view. Is this series worth following the grand terms of science fiction television.

Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
Idoliside on

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    is this the show with edward scissorhands with the mic painted on his face?

Local H Jay on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha, this show is terrible.

I have no idea why people liked it.

electricitylikesme on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I liked it, but I'm not sure if it is worth spending money on.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha, this show is terrible.

I have no idea why people liked it.

Same reason why so many furries are gay.

Lack of options.

necroSYS on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A Lexx thread? Seriously?

No. No. This show makes watching Hercules: The Legendary Journeys an attractive proposition.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ugh. No.

Just. No.

Drake on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    This is why you should watch it:
    Xev.jpg

Mmm. Xenia Seeberg.

Premier kakos on
    edited May 2009
    Pretty much, yes.

The show had its moments people. You cannot deny that.

Oh wait you can because you all are dummies.

Malkor on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xev.jpg

Mmm. Xenia Seeberg.
    Zev was born on the planet B3K, one of the worlds ruled by His Divine Shadow. While still an infant, she was sold by her parents to the Wife Bank, where she was raised in a box with no human contact. Her only companion was an interactive video tutor which schooled her on how to be a submissive but sexually aggressive wife. When she finally learned her lessons well enough to receive a passing grade, she was sold to be a wife, due to meet her husband for the first time at their wedding. However, Zev was obese and covered in acne, and her husband turned out to be a spoiled adolescent whose parents had bought him a wife as a present. Her assigned husband's first words were to complain that Zev was hideous and refuse to marry her. Zev, much larger than her childish fiancé, was furious and punched him so hard that he was knocked unconscious.

For "failing to perform her wifely duties", Zev was sentenced to become a love slave, a process performed by a machine called the Lusticon. The love-slave transformation process went fine through the first few steps: altering Zev's body to be physically perfect and self-maintaining, changing her hair color to light-blue, and heightening her libido. But before the final step could occur — re-adjusting her mind to make her madly in love with her intended owner — a loose Cluster Lizard interfered with the process. Zev was fused with the cluster lizard, absorbing some of its DNA, from which she gained increased strength and was able to break her restraints. She escaped from the Lusticon and placed the head of a decapitated 790 robot in its path. The robot head (790) received the adjustment instead and immediately fell in love with Zev.

This honestly sounds hilarious to watch.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This show is so fucking great, and always hilarious. Love it.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xev.jpg

Mmm. Xenia Seeberg.

Eva Habermann, bro. I lost all interest when she left.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited May 2009
    If you like uncomfortably necrophiliac sexual tension, then knock yourself out.

There is some pretty decent social commentary going on, but it's for the kind of person who enjoys a bad shroom trip.

Drake on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Xev.jpg

Mmm. Xenia Seeberg.

Eva Habermann, bro. I lost all interest when she left.

Both are delicious. Mmmm

Premier kakos on
    edited May 2009
    Drake wrote: »

There is some pretty decent social commentary going on, but it's for the kind of person who enjoys a bad shroom trip.

<-- THIS GUY

Malkor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

No. No. This show makes watching Hercules: The Legendary Journeys an attractive proposition.

But I really liked Hercules, and all of Sam Raimi's campy programming. Frankly, I wish he was still doing that instead of making superhero films.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This show was unspeakably bad and eye candy is not enough to redeem it. It made the clumsy sexual tension in Xena; Warrior Princess look like Romeo and Juliet.

Saammiel on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Raimi tried it again with the Sword of Truth series. Is that still kicking around, or did it fall on its face? Anyway...
    Xev.jpg

Mmm. Xenia Seeberg.
    Zev was born on the planet B3K, one of the worlds ruled by His Divine Shadow. While still an infant, she was sold by her parents to the Wife Bank, where she was raised in a box with no human contact. Her only companion was an interactive video tutor which schooled her on how to be a submissive but sexually aggressive wife. When she finally learned her lessons well enough to receive a passing grade, she was sold to be a wife, due to meet her husband for the first time at their wedding. However, Zev was obese and covered in acne, and her husband turned out to be a spoiled adolescent whose parents had bought him a wife as a present. Her assigned husband's first words were to complain that Zev was hideous and refuse to marry her. Zev, much larger than her childish fiancé, was furious and punched him so hard that he was knocked unconscious.

For "failing to perform her wifely duties", Zev was sentenced to become a love slave, a process performed by a machine called the Lusticon. The love-slave transformation process went fine through the first few steps: altering Zev's body to be physically perfect and self-maintaining, changing her hair color to light-blue, and heightening her libido. But before the final step could occur — re-adjusting her mind to make her madly in love with her intended owner — a loose Cluster Lizard interfered with the process. Zev was fused with the cluster lizard, absorbing some of its DNA, from which she gained increased strength and was able to break her restraints. She escaped from the Lusticon and placed the head of a decapitated 790 robot in its path. The robot head (790) received the adjustment instead and immediately fell in love with Zev.

This honestly sounds hilarious to watch.

This sounds intentionally bad. And awesome. Also, I just looked up Eva Habermann and Xenia Seebeg. I think that I could watch both without complaint. Is this on Netflix?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just remember way back in the day seeing some commercial for this show where some chick actually like, sucked some dude up in a pipe and smoked him while he was kicking and screaming. I'm not even fucking kidding, she inhaled this dude through a bong-like object. Then she coughs a couple of time and calls it a "filthy habit".

It blew my 11-year-old mind. All I could think was, "What the fuck...?"

Duffel on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lexx was fucking bizzare.

Gaddez on
    edited May 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

<-- THIS GUY

To be honest, I did enjoy the precursor to Lexx, the Tales from a Parallel Universe, flicks that were made for cable. Kind of a guilty pleasure I guess. I didn't think the series that ran on the Sci Fi channel had the same kind of pay off as the more focused stand alone stuff.

Hell, if I could watch them with out the Sci Fi channels outrageously bad scheduling I might enjoy them more. I just seem to remember them showing that one episode with the Space Redneck Hillbillies over and fucking over and fucking over...

Drake on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Raimi tried it again with the Sword of Truth series. Is that still kicking around, or did it fall on its face? Anyway...

It was recently renewed for a second season. It's actually done fairly well in the ratings.

Dalboz on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's a guilty pleasure type show. Never took it seriously and I don't think it was intended to be taken that way. There were far too many "look at how weird this is" moments for the writers to have been completely sober.

Bolthorn on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, the way Idolslide put it in the OP seemed to me like, "Hey, I really enjoyed B5. Do you think I'll like Lexx too?"

Putting those two shows together like that just made me automatically recoil, I guess.

Lexx is good at what it does, which is totally make fun of all of our preconceived ideas. Usually with characters that are a nanometer from being totally despicable (the Captain dude and the creepy robot head), or by treading on some weirdo taboo territory (Love slave chick and undead assassin guy).

Drake on
  • necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009

<-- THIS GUY

And Pony, apparently.

necroSYS on
  • Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I loved watching this back when it was on late on sci-fi. I only vaguely remember the plot but there were hilariously exploding heads and even a musical episode! You gotta love a show for having a musical to advance/explain the story.

I say yes, watch until forever.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I liked Lexx, it seems like what Douglas Adams would write if he wanted to be dark and oddly sexy. Xenia Seeberg is pretty damn good looking all throughout.

At the time I had Farscape for good sci-fi outer space adventures and Lexx for campy, odd sci-fi outer space adventures.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember being sick from school once and turning on SciFi and catching the first two Lexx movie-episodes, and just being glued to the TV because of how fucking bizarre it was.

The show has its upsides. It's got some really good black humor to it, but it can also be just unpleasent to watch too. I don't know if I'd recommend spending any money on it.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

<-- THIS GUY

To be honest, I did enjoy the precursor to Lexx, the Tales from a Parallel Universe, flicks that were made for cable. Kind of a guilty pleasure I guess. I didn't think the series that ran on the Sci Fi channel had the same kind of pay off as the more focused stand alone stuff.

Hell, if I could watch them with out the Sci Fi channels outrageously bad scheduling I might enjoy them more. I just seem to remember them showing that one episode with the Space Redneck Hillbillies over and fucking over and fucking over...

I also agree with this, Tales from a Parallel Universe was great, then the series came on scifi and kinda crapped it up :|

The bodyless robot was awesome, always plotting to kill Stan Tweedle and steal Xev.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    First episodes were nice because it was original and had an edge to it, but it never grew a beard and went completely off the rails later on.

Interesting concept that just couldn't get it's shit together.

DanHibiki on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really loved the show, well at least the first 2 seasons (the 1st being the four movie length episodes). Good, dark, smutty sci-fi, very fun. Good music and pretty original compared to everything else. It just had this bleak disposition on life and sex and it was kind of enticing.

However, season 3 was an abysmal arc that went on far too long for its own good...with only glints of what made Lexx good in the beginning.

Season 4 had its hits and misses but really, it never recovered from season 3.

autothrall on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just watched the first episode, it was...wierd, fun, and disturbing all in one.
    I'm gonna keep watching...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This show was far weirder than Farscape, and far less entertaining.

You're better off just watching Farscape.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OremLK wrote: »

Farscape is really good once you get past the muppets.

Once you get past the boobies and original characters and setting, there isn't a whole lot to lexx, and pretty much if anyone walks in on you watching it at pretty much any point in any episode expect at least a D: 'What the hell are you watching?!"

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

Hercules was a good show.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I enjoyed it a lot. Wish it had developed into something deeper, but it was interesting seeing what kind of weird shit they could come up with. The drug episode was particularly fun, along with the musical.

Incenjucar on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    redx wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »

Farscape is really good once you get past the muppets.

Once you get past the boobies and original characters and setting, there isn't a whole lot to lexx, and pretty much if anyone walks in on you watching it at pretty much any point in any episode expect at least a D: 'What the hell are you watching?!"
    I liked the muppets:x

But that is a good point. In Farscape the effects can be something of a hinderance for people. In Lexx theyr'e the only real draw as everything else is just shameless exploitation.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Mayor from Spin City was the rebel leader, or something, that gets executed in the pilot :lol:

... I miss Eva Habermann so. :oops:

Panda4You on
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ED! wrote: »

Hercules was the best show.

fixed

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »

It was recently renewed for a second season. It's actually done fairly well in the ratings.
    I will watch it. It's not bad. It lacks almost all of the humor of Xena/Hercules, but it's based on an un-funny book series. Well, not intentionally funny.
    chicken.jpg

GungHo on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This show had an episode where self replicating arms ended up making up the bulk of all the matter in the entire universe

And they had a pet plant chick that ate people, but had no vagina so tweedle still couldnt get laid.

Don't pay much for it, but if you've got some time to burn and aren't worried about brain damage, feel free to watch it.

override367 on