As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just had an attempted break-in. Your run-ins with criminals?

YeofaceYeoface Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Woke up this morning at 3:30 am to a drunk/high guy on our front step ringing the doorbell and pounding on the door. Looks like he had been in a fight or a drug deal gone bad, and had a bloody face with an eye swollen shut. Was spitting blood all over our steps.

The cops came in under 5 minutes with an ambulance luckily and no harm was done, but now I'm on an adrenaline high and was wondering what other kind of run-ins you guys have had to deal with.

Yeoface on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    that honestly sounds more like the victim of a mugging trying to get help than an attempted breakin...

people don't break in by banging on the front door and ringing the doorbell at 3:30 am

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    this isn't criminal but there's a couple from texas upstairs, they're not cohabiting and only the guy lives there so if it's thursday thru saturday it's highly likely that the girl will come stomping and banging up the stairs and yell "BRYAN! DO YOU LOVE ME?"

Sam on
  • Options
    YeofaceYeoface Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh ya I should add, he was also yelling for us to "hurry up and let me in before the cops get here!" over and over, so he wasn't exactly an innocent bystander.

Yeoface on
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeoface wrote: »
    Oh ya I should add, he was also yelling for us to "hurry up and let me in before the cops get here!" over and over, so he wasn't exactly an innocent bystander.

Sounds like maybe he had the wrong place.

Phant on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I live in a flat above a pub, and the bar below was broken into probably 6 times during the last year

The most recent time however, I was alone upstairs and the alarm begins wailing just as I had managed to get to sleep. So I think 'bollocks to it, I'm getting involved this time'

I grab a baseball bat and sprint downstairs in my underwear

Burst in through the back door to the bar and see the fucker trying to open one of the fruit machines with a crowbar. I yell some vague threat, he legs it and tries to make good his escape through the open windows in a single jump.

He misses, catches his foot on the windowsill and comes crashing face first into the gravel area outside the pub

Then he climbs into his bike, bruised and bloody, and disappears into the night

Thats really my only run in with a criminal

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I caught a guy breaking into my car.

Was sitting at my computer and heard a smash. Didn't think anything of it until I realised it was louder than it probably should have been.

Opened the front door, looked over to my car space and a guy was reaching into the car through the small triangular window. I frozed momentarily, totally shocked, I think I may have actually gasped like they do on television! I immediately started shouting ludicrous things like 'HEY! YOU'RE STEALING MY CAR!'

He started running, while moaning this weird zombie moan which freaked me out, and I started chasing him. The entire time I was yelling 'AAAAAH YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE ETC!' And he outran me because I am terribly unfit.

Called the police who spent 20 minutes asking me questions about who I was, whether I was a student or worked. I apologised to them for appearing naive and asked "So are you, you know, going to get the bad guy now or what?" A few condescending moments later I was told to come into the station to make a report and they'd hung up.

In retrospect, an amusing evening!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No need to take the piss, I was just telling what happened

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ...I think his happened too.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah dude, what?

My useless dog didn't even bark at the guy. Urgh.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh I've got one. This wasn't my house though, but a neighbour's a couple houses down the road.

Houses where I stay all have high fences all around, and a big gate. At night, people open the gate, drive their cars in, and lock the gate. And then lock the house inside (which will typically have a solid metal grille, a solid wooden door, and another padlock. You'll see why in a moment).

So... global economic recession, people laid off, crime has spiked a bit recently.

So, my neighbour comes home one evening. He gets out of the car, opens the gate, drives in. Neighbour then begins unlocking the house door.

Then a dude holding a parang runs in, gets in the car, and tries to reverse it out of the driveway.

So, my neighbour can't grab hold of the car. Can't stop the car either, for fear of being run over. So he runs ahead of the car (which is slow because it's reversing), and swings the solid cast iron fence gate shut. Car can't get out. Crazy thief jumps out of the car, waves the parang wildly at my neighbour, then runs away down the street.

Fast forward about half an hour. The neighbour's called the police and the neighbourhood watch, and the commotion has attracted everyone in the neighbourhood. So we're all standing in my neighhour's driveway - maybe twenty residents, plus four watchmen and two police - then

Dude comes back, with four friends, all with assorted sticks and parangs. They march in, smash my neighbour's car to bits, then march out. Yes, in front of everyone. The local watch isn't armed and can't do anything. The local policemen were just there to take notes and weren't armed either. So everyone just watches rather helplessly for a while.

Isn't the third world nice. The police haven't gotten back to my neighbour - ineffectual law enforcement seems to be the ongoing theme here...

And then my own house got broken into a month later, but nobody was at home so no interesting stories there.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mine's boring. Two big dudes come over to me, ask for a light. I don't smoke, so sorry, no lighter. One punches me and demands my wallet.

I look a little surprised, since we're standing in front of a police station. They quickly notice this as well, and run off. Cops didn't find them, but whatever. It was Adam's Morgan. Go two blocks off the main drag and it gets shady real quick.

kildy on
  • Options
    postinonthenetspostinonthenets Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My apt got robbed at one point while I was asleep, but nothing of mine was taken. Other than that nothing...

Though I did leave my bike outside for a while and came back to find one of the screws holding the bars gone. So someone started to try and steal them and didnt get very far which I found pretty amusing.

postinonthenets on
    Solitude sometimes is best society, and short retirement urges sweet return

Twitter
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My credit card information somehow got leaked online and someone charged over four hundred dollars of random crap to it (including $71 on Shamwow) and had it all sent to my house.

That was... interesting.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    My credit card information somehow got leaked online and someone charged over four hundred dollars of random crap to it (including $71 on Shamwow) and had it all sent to my house.

That was... interesting.
    That makes me think it was someone that knew you and just wanted to fuck with you.

Bama on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »

That was... interesting.
    That makes me think it was someone that knew you and just wanted to fuck with you.

No, one of the stores I called up asking for a refund gave me the ordering IP address, which was (presumably a botnet node) in Buttfuck, Iowa or somewhere.

Also they misspelled my name in a way that only a computer generally does.

But the thought did occur to me as well.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We had an employee come in and steal the float ( money that's always in the drawers) out of all the registers at work late one night. On camera. And he called me the next morning admitting to it. Then two months later called asking for a work reference, to work at a bakery a few miles away. This was not the smartest guy.

Had about $3000 stolen out of the delivery van at a farmer's market too, they went in through the back and pried the security gate open between the cab and the back of the van, and grabbed the deposit bag. They left my camera, wallet, and phone though.

Two weeks later they (we're assuming, since we never saw who did it the first time) got caught when they smashed a window on a truck that belonged to one of the farms selling at the market, trying to get at their cash. But they did it while the owners were in the back of the truck. So a foot chase ensued, with the thief making a break for a bus that was just stopping to pick people up. He got on, the bus started to move, people blocked the road, banged on the door until the driver opened it, then stormed the bus and dragged the guy off and called the police.

I left my car unlocked on the street, and came out in the morning and noticed my glove box was open. The only thing missing was a crappy CD wallet of burned CDs. I wouldn't really call it being robbed, more like having my car cleaned up for me.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One time my old house got broken into. Or they walked in - I think a door may have been left open. They stole 5 of my games, of which one was Tribes 2. That annoyed me the most since I lost the CD key. The best part was though they clearly tried to carry off my brother's computer - found it too heavy and cumbersome and instead grabbed a laptop that was stuffed under a TV. Stuffed under a TV because it was completely fucked and useless and we just suck at throwing things out.

So all in all not too bad. Still pissed I missed out on the rest of the Tribes 2 era.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    someone went into my room in college and stole my mostly empty backpack (had a graphing calculator in it and an mp3 player) and a knife off of my desk.... leaving my laptop which was also on my desk... and then they apparantly exited out the window...

i also was walking back from class one day when i heard a car alarm going off right up the road and saw a couple of middleschool kids running away. the kids had apparantly tried to open the door and when the alarm went off they booked it. so i went up to the car and shut the door/went on my way.

one day also, i was sitting outside during the spring when i hear a lot of yelling behind the house. i turn around and see this young black guy running through my yard, then a cop following him tackles him right on the paved driveway. it left a nice pool of blood but he was apparantly innocent of whatever they were chasing him for. how do i know? because he came back later that day and asked us if we had found a watch.... a rolex apparantly....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was at a party at this dude's house in a sketchy-ass neighborhood, it was pretty chill and enjoyable, when suddenly some dude comes in like "man, they're tryin' to steal yo car!" So the guy who owns the car is all "let's get those fuckers!" and then three guys grab guns and go storming out. My dumb ass goes outside too, the thieves have already beat it, but the dudes with guns go chasing off after them into the night.

But yeah, pretty much criminals all around. I swiftly realized that this was not my scene.

Then there was the time a party nextdoor to use spilled out onto our yard, including a guy getting beat down by four dudes on our curb. Called the cops, then went out with a baseball bat to let them know that I had done so (in the hopes that the dude might still be alive by the time they got there). Good times. Don't miss that neighborhood.

That's about it. I've lived a boring life.

EDIT: Well, at least for actual run-ins. There was also the time my truck got broken into. Or last weekend, when I accidentally left my computer (the desktop case) in my hotel room (I had brought it in out of fear, ironically, that it might get stolen) and the housekeeping staff decided it must be "trash" that I'd left behind, and claimed it rather than turning it in. Filed a police report, got the computer back, but seriously what the fuck?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    When I worked at CompUSA in High School, we had an interesting encounter. A guy came in with a ski mask, calmly walked to the back, grabbed the box for an expensive computer, and just proceeded to walk out. Now, this is obvious as fuck to everyone there and we're telling him to stop. Unfortunately, corporate policy is to not touch them or try to restrain them due to all sorts of various weird legalities involved.

After he left the store, he turned the corner and just calmly walked away. One of the employees was tasked with following him so that we could hopefully get some sort of identifying information, but the guy was apparently pretty smart. He planned out a route through the adjacent neighbourhood that would easily lose anyone following him and apparently parked whatever mode of transportation somewhere where we wouldn't see him getting in a car and we could take down a license plate. Never got any real identifying information and, as far as I know, he got away with it.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    When I worked at CompUSA in High School, we had an interesting encounter. A guy came in with a ski mask, calmly walked to the back, grabbed the box for an expensive computer, and just proceeded to walk out. Now, this is obvious as fuck to everyone there and we're telling him to stop. Unfortunately, corporate policy is to not touch them or try to restrain them due to all sorts of various weird legalities involved.

After he left the store, he turned the corner and just calmly walked away. One of the employees was tasked with following him so that we could hopefully get some sort of identifying information, but the guy was apparently pretty smart. He planned out a route through the adjacent neighbourhood that would easily lose anyone following him and apparently parked whatever mode of transportation somewhere where we wouldn't see him getting in a car and we could take down a license plate. Never got any real identifying information and, as far as I know, he got away with it.
    The absolute best way to get away with something is to act like you know exactly what you're doing. Most of the time people will be too shocked to do anything.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

The absolute best way to get away with something is to act like you know exactly what you're doing. Most of the time people will be too shocked to do anything.

Shit, I had completely forgot! Yeah, I'm working at Wal-Mart, and some lady apparently stole like 12 or 15 or a whole damn bunch of TVs...she had simply grabbed a hand cart, and was throwing them on it and rolling them out the door one at a time. Did this more than ten times before a greeter finally, like, noticed. Had a whole van full. If she hadn't gone back for that last one, she'd have gotten away with it.

I wound up catching the shit for it, because I was in electronics. Which may be fair. But I was alone in there, and busy with customers back-to-back the entire time. I mean, that's why we have door greeters and why we generally mark the boxes so they know the crap was paid for.

But yeah.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm pretty sure you could walk in to almost any Wal-Mart in the country and steal an entire section of merchandise without getting stopped at the door.

Bama on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Shit, I had completely forgot! Yeah, I'm working at Wal-Mart, and some lady apparently stole like 12 or 15 or a whole damn bunch of TVs...she had simply grabbed a hand cart, and was throwing them on it and rolling them out the door one at a time. Did this more than ten times before a greeter finally, like, noticed. Had a whole van full. If she hadn't gone back for that last one, she'd have gotten away with it.

I wound up catching the shit for it, because I was in electronics. Which may be fair. But I was alone in there, and busy with customers back-to-back the entire time. I mean, that's why we have door greeters and why we generally mark the boxes so they know the crap was paid for.

But yeah.

See, that's why I hate when the greeters try to check my bags and ask to see my receipt and all that crap. I politely inform them that it's okay, that I'm not a thief (though I've stolen plenty of things from there), and that I didn't steal anything. If they give me crap. I give it back, and I don't break stride.

The one time I actually got confronted was when I had a cart full of groceries. Like....refrigerated stuff, and I'd spent over $100. The manager ended up coming over, and I put it plainly. "Look, if you want to check through all this stuff we can go over to Customer Service and you can sort through it while they're ringing up my return. If you're going to assume I'm stealing from you, I'm not going to bother actually giving you my money."

He apologized, and left me on my way.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tox wrote: »

But yeah.

See, that's why I hate when the greeters try to check my bags and ask to see my receipt and all that crap. I politely inform them that it's okay, that I'm not a thief (though I've stolen plenty of things from there), and that I didn't steal anything. If they give me crap. I give it back, and I don't break stride.

The one time I actually got confronted was when I had a cart full of groceries. Like....refrigerated stuff, and I'd spent over $100. The manager ended up coming over, and I put it plainly. "Look, if you want to check through all this stuff we can go over to Customer Service and you can sort through it while they're ringing up my return. If you're going to assume I'm stealing from you, I'm not going to bother actually giving you my money."

o_O

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you could walk in to almost any Wal-Mart in the country and steal an entire section of merchandise without getting stopped at the door.

Apparently the number of TVs you could expect to successfully take is greater than ten and less than twenty, yes. ;-)

But that definitely falls in the "just look like you know what you're doing" category as well.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In London my flat got broken into, they walked past three Powerbooks to steal a Dell laptop, a visibly broken digital camera, and a single juggling ball.

We wondered if the thief might be autistic. Or just horribly unconfident about his juggling abilities.

edit: Oh oh, in my house in Ithaca, the back door to the kitchen got left unlocked and someone stole all my Wii/PS2 games (left the consoles), a stack of shitty DVDs (Kangaroo Jack-caliber), a bunch of bananas, and five Pilsbury biscuits my roommate had made the night before. Considering the location, we figured he was just really baked.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

But yeah.

o_O

I never said I wasn't a hypocrite.

As for getting robbed/nearly robbed. I used to deliver pizzas for a living. It was a small town, and had some pretty shady neighborhoods. I pull up to this house, and there's a minivan in the front yard. This lady gets out and says, "Hey, I didn't order a pizza."

I check the number and address, she confirms, then repeats that she didn't order a pizza. As she's walking up to the house she says, "You 'bout to get robbed."

She goes into the house, and starts yelling at someone in there if they ordered a pizza or not, yells at them a few times, gets responses that I don't understand at all, then says, again, as she shuts the door, "Yeah, you 'bout to get robbed."

I thank her, head back to my car, and start heading onto my next delivery. I call the manager to let him know what happened, and he says, "Well, man, look, I mean....if you really don't feel safe...." to which I respond, "It's not about feeling safe, it's about feeling stupid when I'm testifying and have to say, "Yeah, well, they said I was gonna get robbed, but, you know....I didn't believe 'em."

Fucking pizza delivery. Man, I've got stories.

Tox on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    that I'm not a thief (though I've stolen plenty of things from there)

o_O

Yeah, what the fuck.

"I'm not a thief, but I'm a thief."

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    One time I went to Wal-mart, grabbed what I had come for, went to the self-check-out line. I paid with my credit card, for the little terminal asked for my signature. Feeling a tad bit feisty, I signed it in print letters "Credit Card Fraud". It accepted it, printed out my receipt with the signature I signed printed right there on the receipt.

I head towards the exit and one of the greeters stops me, asking to see my receipt. I calmly hand her the receipt, she looks over it intently, clearly lingers a bit on the signature, and then nods, hands me my receipt and waves me through. That one greatly confused me.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Enh, I did have one horrible break in/robbery a decade or so back. Was living on a first floor apartment on the back side of the building. Roommate and I had both purchased new PCs in the past month, roommate's window was smashed and all my DVDs/Games/Laptop/Desktop and the broken LCD I'd been meaning to RMA (seriously, if I have a shitty CRT attached to the system and an LCD sitting on the floor, there is likely something wrong with the LCD..)

Cops never figured it out, but figured it was someone my roommate knew who didn't like me, since nothing of his was taken, but they managed to find my laptop under a pile of clothes in my closet. I learned a valuable lesson about renter's insurance, and why I should have it.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    One time I went to Wal-mart, grabbed what I had come for, went to the self-check-out line. I paid with my credit card, for the little terminal asked for my signature. Feeling a tad bit feisty, I signed it in print letters "Credit Card Fraud". It accepted it, printed out my receipt with the signature I signed printed right there on the receipt.

I head towards the exit and one of the greeters stops me, asking to see my receipt. I calmly hand her the receipt, she looks over it intently, clearly lingers a bit on the signature, and then nods, hands me my receipt and waves me through. That one greatly confused me.

Awesome.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My condo got broken into last year, it sucked. The guy game in through a back window that my ex had accidentally left open. The guy smudged up a couch he crawled over, took my ex's laptop, then went to my room and took a cookie jar filled with around $300 in spare change. On his way out, he grabbed one of my guitars.

All in all, it wasn't too bad. The guitar he took wasn't the most expensive, but it WAS the one which had the most sentimental value to me, which sucked. Insurance covered it and gave me more than twice what it was worth, though.

The police came and took fingerprints and ended up spilling that black greasy crap all over the couch, which really sucked. $500 to get it cleaned.

They opened an investigation but of course nothing ever came of it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited May 2009

o_O

Yeah, what the fuck.

Yeah, no, I'm definitely a thief. I've stolen all kinds of shit. Kind of a thrill. Probably a bit of a klepto.

Tox on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It occurs to me that she figured it was unlikely you were actually doing that, and that the real fraudsters she's still not qualified to spot anyway, and also minimum wage seriously who gives a fuck?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

o_O

Yeah, what the fuck.

Yeah, no, I'm definitely a thief. I've stolen all kinds of shit. Kind of a thrill. Probably a bit of a klepto.
    So actually, you're the reason the rest of us have to show our receipts to the fucking greeters. Thanks a lot, asshole.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeoface wrote: »
    Woke up this morning at 3:30 am to a drunk/high guy on our front step ringing the doorbell and pounding on the door. Looks like he had been in a fight or a drug deal gone bad, and had a bloody face with an eye swollen shut. Was spitting blood all over our steps.

The cops came in under 5 minutes with an ambulance luckily and no harm was done, but now I'm on an adrenaline high and was wondering what other kind of run-ins you guys have had to deal with.

I am unsure as to how this is an "attempted break-in" rather than just some crazy person banging on your door.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit_card/

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

o_O

Yeah, what the fuck.

So actually, you're the reason the rest of us have to show our receipts to the fucking greeters. Thanks a lot, asshole.

And yet, every time they check my receipt/bags, they never find anything.

One time, back when they were putting those dumb sensor tags on everything, like deodorant, I decided to try to steal some just to see if this particular idea I'd had would work. I took two, pocketed one, and put the other in my basket. After I checked out, I went into the bathroom, put the purchased (and sensor-deactivated one) in my pocket, and put the un-scanned one in my bag. Headed out, triggered the sensor. They asked for my bag, waved it in front of the thing, it went off, they pulled out my receipt, checked the items, saw I'd paid for the stick of deodorant, handed me my bag, and sent me on my way.

I'm....probably a klepto. I genuinely find stealing a bit of a challenge. Like...how can I outsmart theft-detection/deterrents, ya know?

Tox on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I tend not to hassle the receipt checkers at the doors of places like Best Buy. I've only ever been stopped for large purchases like a laptop or PSP. If I just have some DVDs I get waved through. I may not like the whole thing, but it's corporate policy. I'm not going to give the lowest rung guy shit for what somebody way up the ladder decided.

YamiNoSenshi on