As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Map

ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
Well, I suppose it's time to start laying out the map for PAX '07 and nearby facilities. This is a downloadable Google Earth .kmz file.

Click to download the latest version
View it in your browser!

Release History
5/10/2007 - Added parking map. Major thanks to BigRed on this one, who froze his ass off to get the info. Also minor other tweaks.
4/20/2007 - Added Pre-PAX dinner site.
4/5/2007 - Added HTML Version for you poor unfortunate fuckers who don't have Google Earth.
3/30/2007 - Added Days Inn hotel.
3/19/2007 - Added new icons for all categories and the Bamboo Garden restaurant.
3/18/2007 - Added another , slightly more corporeal liquor store, the Sci-Fi Museum and the Experience Music Project. Also tasty donuts.
3/14/2007 - Added road directions: south from Everett, north from Federal Way and West from Issaquah.
3/10/2007 - Added bus info to and from Amtrak, Uwajimaya, SeaTac Airport and Sushiland. Added phantom liquor store. Updated unofficial event icons.
3/10/2007 - Added Uwajimaya, Pink Godzilla and Sushi Land. Updated default views for the various categories.
3/7/2007 - Added Gameworks.
3/7/2007 - Added the Columbia Tower, and a PAX of the Past category with the facilities from '04, '05 and '06.
3/5/2007 - Added a list of restaurants at the WSCTC, Pacific Place Mall, and Von's.
3/5/2007 - Updated categories, added Amtrak, SeaTac, Pike Place Market, the Space Needle and Dragonfish.
3/2/2007 - Initial release. Includes WSCTC, official hotels, the local cinema and a nearby mall.

WCTT_banner.gif
Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
ctishman on

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll add to it and update the .kmz file over time. If you know a gamer-friendly facility near PAX, drop me a PM, email or chat, and I'll mark it on the map. Eventually, I want this to encompass all hotels (official and otherwise), food, arcades, parking, et cetera.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I totally appreciate the effort you put into this map for us. I recall the one last year, and how helpful it was for getting around the downtown Bellevue area-- so I can only imagine it will become quite helpful again this year.

b0wser on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FYI: someone at PA is creating an official map

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited March 2007
    Well, heck. I suppose I'll keep working on mine in the meantime, in case the official one doesn't show.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Amber FechkoAmber Fechko Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    FYI: someone at PA is creating an official map

I'm the one working on that at the moment.

The area maps created by people in the community were so insanely useful last year that we thought we'd try creating one that we could both print in the program and blow up into a giant image for the info desk area. Sadly we can't use (modify) google maps images due to licensing and quality issues.

That said, I will be working on a map, but creating a google earth file is an awesome idea within itself.

Amber Fechko on
    edited March 2007
    Awesome then! I'll continue!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I did find that there were a couple of minor errors on the map that was displayed in the lobby last year. I was searching for Jack in the Box, which was a good few blocks from the location on the map; since the map displayed it as being somewhere inside Toys'R'Us.

I ended up finding it just before we left on Sunday, but we'd already gone for lunch at Sushiland Marinepolis.

b0wser on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    how do you open a kml file?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    You import it into Google Earth. Or iif you have Google Earth installed, you tell it to open it with that program. File association, yeah.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kelp, you're like a one-man show

Except you're not a dude!

I'll add something to the unofficial map if I can think of it. It'll probably be girly non-PAX things to do, and that really good Thai restauraunt I discovered awhile back.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Mark them with pink pushpins or something of the sort.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2007
    Only if they can be heart-shaped too.

Trillian on

edited March 2007
    Hah, I actually wouldn't mind more restaurants. If you know where they are, lemme know the name and I'll add it.

Yes, and I will make a little pink heart-shaped pushpin symbol for "Trillian's Girly Non-PAX Stuff To Do" if you really, really want it.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • M4YH3MM4YH3M Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wow man this is sooo badasss idk why i havent heard of this before lol thx

M4YH3M on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    mayh3mwu6dc9.jpg
    notfrank.png
    edited March 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    Hah, I actually wouldn't mind more restaurants. If you know where they are, lemme know the name and I'll add it.

Yes, and I will make a little pink heart-shaped pushpin symbol for "Trillian's Girly Non-PAX Stuff To Do" if you really, really want it.

Thank you <3

Trillian on

• Amber FechkoAmber Fechko Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I'd be more than happy to share my list of map items with you, I imagine we both have places that the other missed.

Amber Fechko on
    edited March 2007
    Sweet. I don't live in Seattle (yet – this will change in June), and I don't know the city as well as I should.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to regret this big time - I should be keeping it as good a secret as possible.

Dragonfish is a japanese food restaurant like three blocks from the center. They have really, really great happy hour deals for good sushi and other goodies.

http://www.dragonfishcafe.com/sea/index.php

Be warned, though: it's a pretty classy place. Don't walk in there smelling of sweat and wearing a gross t-shirt.

Doc on
  • Mo1sonMo1son Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if I could ever justify paying 2.50$ for a bowl of miso.. We get it for 1.00$ around these parts, and it's quality stuff. Do you guys just have an extreme lack of Japanese restaurants? Or few enough that they can set whatever price they wish.

Mo1son on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Mo1son wrote: »
    I don't know if I could ever justify paying 2.50$ for a bowl of miso.. We get it for 1.00$ around these parts, and it's quality stuff. Do you guys just have an extreme lack of Japanese restaurants? Or few enough that they can set whatever price they wish.

Then don't go. The line will be shorter for me. :P

Like I said, it's a somewhat classy place. It's a real sit-down restaurant, and not like a Red Robin or Applebee's or what have you. I usually go with their $2 plates of sushi, so I'm not sure about their soup.

Doc on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

just, keep the "smelly food" restaurants (indian, mexican, etc) to a minimum. that place is gonna smell bad enough without curry and burrito farts filling the place up!!!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited March 2007
    Just for you, I'm gonna add a "Dyaballiki's Bestest Burrito Suggestions" category.

Edit: Updated! (though not with the Bestest Burrito Suggestions category yet).

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just for you, I'm gonna add a "Dyaballiki's Bestest Burrito Suggestions" category.

Taco del Mar is right inside the convention center. Me and my friends have spent an ungodly amount of time and money inside Taco del Mar (albeit not that specific one).

Doc, that sushi place sounds amazing! And the prices are good for downtown Seattle.

No Pacific Place on the map! Movie theater, restaurants and minutes away walking.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
    edited March 2007
    Pacific Place, eh? I'll add it when I get home later on.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited March 2007
    wenchkilla wrote: »

Taco del Mar is right inside the convention center. Me and my friends have spent an ungodly amount of time and money inside Taco del Mar (albeit not that specific one).

Doc, that sushi place sounds amazing! And the prices are good for downtown Seattle.

No Pacific Place on the map! Movie theater, restaurants and minutes away walking.

oh great, fish AND burritos in one, now that's multitasking!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited March 2007
    Updated again.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wenchkilla wrote:
    My friends and I got food poisoning from that place before we were at PAX last year. Seriously, beware.

RowdyTheDog on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    45573990uo8.png

Here. Use this.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited March 2007
    wenchkilla wrote:
    My friends and I got food poisoning from that place before we were at PAX last year. Seriously, beware.

I don't want to discredit you, but two of my friends and I have eaten at Taco del Mars of Woodinville, Kirkland, University District, and WSCTC at least twice a month for the last 3 years, usually once a week during school, and have never gotten sick from their food. I by no means have a iron stomach or anything, so, what happened to you is pretty damn rare from my experience.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah taco del mar is an awesome place. Ive eaten at the wsctc one *many* times and I eat at the one in redmond a lot for lunch.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited March 2007
    Legacy wrote: »
    45573990uo8.png

Here. Use this.
    that a stuffed dog?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »
    45573990uo8.png

Here. Use this.
    that a stuffed dog?

It's for RowdyTheDog.

Which I assume he got his name from Rowdy on Scrubs.

Which is a stuffed dog.

So, yes.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited March 2007
    Updated again.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited March 2007
    ...and again.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    edited March 2007
    Oooh, something else I remembered:

Uwajimaya is an awesome Asian supermarket in Seattle. If you're looking for some sort of obscure/authentic/popular/ANY Asian food/snacks/groceries, you can find it here. In the back of the store is a food court with absolutely delicious food stands.

So, if you're running low on Pocky, need to stock up on squid snacks, or want to try some new or familiar Asian food, this is your place.

It's far for walking distance, but only a couple minutes on the bus away from PAX.

600 5th Avenue South
    Seattle, WA 98104

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    edited March 2007

Uwajimaya is an awesome Asian supermarket in Seattle. If you're looking for some sort of obscure/authentic/popular/ANY Asian food/snacks/groceries, you can find it here. In the back of the store is a food court with absolutely delicious food stands.

So, if you're running low on Pocky, need to stock up on squid snacks, or want to try some new or familiar Asian food, this is your place.

It's far for walking distance, but only a couple minutes on the bus away from PAX.

600 5th Avenue South
    Seattle, WA 98104
    awesome candy store across the street from there, too. and pink godzilla is there, as well.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    It's for RowdyTheDog.

Which I assume he got his name from Rowdy on Scrubs.

Which is a stuffed dog.

So, yes.

Indeed that is where I got my name, I am a huge Scrubs fan.
    I do not mean to suggest all Taco del Mar locations will poison you, or that even going to the one we went to last year will poison you. I do know, however, that we got food poisoning from it. Maybe it was just bad luck...

RowdyTheDog on
  • Samusman1Samusman1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    awesome candy store across the street from there, too. and pink godzilla is there, as well.
    Uwajimaya also has a F-load of Manga in English, Japanese, and Chinese for all you animu (spelt wrong on purpose) lovers.

Samusman1 on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

600 5th Avenue South
    Seattle, WA 98104
    Also if you know Japanese, they have a Japanese Movie Rental store with an adult's section across the street and a block north. *wink* Also, a small video game store with some classic and Japanese imports and a Toy model store right by it. They are all in the same building. Yea, a lot of imports there.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
    edited March 2007

Really? Oh awesome, I'll have to swing by next time I'm in the area, they had a cool booth at 06.

Looks like I'm not the only here who likes this place :)

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.