As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two character sketches

2»

• Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I can honestly say the colour scheme is really cool. The font is great especially in the chapter selection page and it really gives an Aladen sort of look to it I might sugest if your after more of a visual look to make the page look like parchment on a scrorll using a jpeg background and making it look like its wound up in the scroll at the bottom of the page.

like so
    scroll-stock2.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thanks Legg. I've thought about doing some kind of scroll/stone texture, but I want to keep the design as simple as possible, partly because I expect people to read it on their iPhones.

Here's some updates. The masked warrior guy's arms look wrong; I should probably just redraw him entirely.

kiddu_pa_5.jpg

ayan_pa_5.jpg

hatvan_pa_5.jpg

Qingu on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I quite like where they have come from the beggining.

The girl in the blue robe has a bit of a lean to her

with the guy in the mask the feet and legs are not right as well as the arms. I think you should re-draw it from a skeleton base. CUrrently the knee looks to low on the back foot and the angle of the foot isnt right. That leg needs to be longer and the arms are currently to long I think.

Start again. Use proportions or better yet a reference :)
    target-ninja-ad.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't want to piss on your comic parade here, but you really need to strip right back to boring fundamentals for a while if you want the art to be considered any good. There are too many things wrong to just give you pointers, because you don't have any kind of grasp on the basics. Anatomy, construction, line depth, you don't need to become a master but you do need to at least understand the concepts. This will take some practice and when I say some, I mean like a lot.

I'm telling you this, not because I'm an asshole (even though I am), but because I know you've got a vision in your head of how you want this project to look, and with your current skill set you are going to fall very short of the lofty expectations you've set for yourself. I'm not saying throw your hands up in the air and give up, but to take some time out to increase your skills and revise your ideas before you start getting to in depth. You're more than capable, you just need the determination to do it properly.

Mustang on
  • Options
    BadsaltBadsalt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The pictures are leaning towards the "artistic" and less towards the cartoony, but still. Enjoyable.

Badsalt on
    DCbanner468.jpg
    Two webcomics for the price of one. Let the hilarity ensue.
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    fingers.png

It looks like she has far too many fingers.

Or that they are all horribly mangled.

acadia on
  • Options
    BadsaltBadsalt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mangled felanges. Or however you spell the word for "finger bones." It makes me giggle. Cynically.

Badsalt on
    DCbanner468.jpg
    Two webcomics for the price of one. Let the hilarity ensue.
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Phalanges. I second the notion about the reference, as long as you don't use that one; kids have different proportions. I'd also second the notion about fundamentals; it does make it tricky to critique particular character designs when the lion's share of your problems are more systematic. At this point, for instance, your first character is by far the strongest design, partly because of anatomical (proportion) issues with your other two (though there are also issues with it, like her conspicuous lack of a collarbone, and a left forearm that doesn't really work), and partly because of your problem with drapery (that is to say, because the first character has the least extensive wardrobe). There are also issues with shading, which indicate a lack of understanding of light and form; that's going to be a very difficult problem to address, and hard for us to communicate to you without doing paintovers of all your characters. With all of those fundamentals to address, you're going to have a lot of trouble without pretty extensive references.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i disagree about the extended legs. the character has a short, thick shape. there's no reason to reduce that quality.

I agree. I don't think the problem is with the shape of the legs, it's the position. Her center of gravity is in her hips, but she looks like she should fall over backwards. The more recent version fixes it a bit, but now it looks like a matter of perspective.

Try flipping the image horizontally and see if it still looks right. A trick I use in Photoshop is to create an Action that's just Flip Horizontal and bind it to Ctrl-F2 so I can flip back and forth at will.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    where do you go to bind custom actions to shortcuts? is it in the customize shortcuts option of preferences or elsewhere?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    where do you go to bind custom actions to shortcuts? is it in the customize shortcuts option of preferences or elsewhere?

In the Actions window:
    1. Select the action
    2. Click the triangle button in the upper right corner
    3. Select Action Options
    4. Set the Function Key field from "None" to a function key, check Shift and/or Ctrl if you want, hit ok.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    awesome. thanks.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah. I can't remember if I overwrote an existing command I never used or if Ctrl-F2 was open. It's not the easiest thing to hit, though. Ideally, with my pinky on Ctrl, the other key should be hittable without rotating my hand so far.

Actually, Alt-F2 is perfect for left thumb and middle finger. Wonder if that's open...

Edit: Okay, you can't bind to Alt. Just shift, ctrl, and the F keys. Boo...

Delzhand on