As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - PA Guild on Flamehammer!

mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
headeroh6.jpg

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
To anyone unaware, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is the latest MMO from Sigil games; the team responsible for the original EverQuest. It comes out tomorrow. There was apparently enough interest to generate 20-some pages of people playing to level 4 and declaring it a WoW clone in G&T, so hopefully, there's enough interest to, you know, actually play it now that it's being released.

PA Guild
The unofficial Penny Arcade guild is on Flamehammer and goes by the name Penny Arcadians. More info a few posts down.

What's the game like?
While the early levels are the usual faire - packed full of newbie-coddling and rat-bashing - the ultimate goal of Vanguard is to make a game that is similar to a modern Everquest. That is to say, a more difficult, less forgiving, more demanding, more group-based MMO.

What can I play?
Vanguard has no dearth of playable characters. As it is now, there are a total of 19 different races spread across three factions and 15 different classes (with two more coming post-release).

What are the system requirements?
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
• Windows® 2000/XP/Vista
• 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible computer
• 100% DirectX compatible keyboard or input device
• Processor 2.4 GHz Intel processor or 2400+ or higher model AMD processor
• 512 MB RAM
• Vertex and Pixel shader 2.0 compatible hardware with 128MB of texture memory
• 100%DirectX compatible sound card
• 56K + Internet Connection
• 16X Speed DVD-ROM
• 20 Gigabytes Hard Drive Space

RECOMMENDED SPECS
• Windows® 2000/XP/Vista
• 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible computer
• 100% DirectX compatible keyboard or input device
• Processor 3.0 GHz Intel or 3500+ AMD processor
• 2 GB RAM
• Vertex and Pixel shader 2.0 compatible hardware with 256MB of texture memory
• DirectSound compatible audio hardware
• Broadband Internet Connection
• 16X Speed DVD-ROM
• 20 Gigabytes Hard Drive Space

Factions
Each faction in Telon (that's the world's name) has unique geography and racial variants. Thestra is largely European in feel, and is closest to what would be standard fantasy fair. Qalia is more Middle-Eastern, and Kojan is Asian.

Races: The following - except the descriptions - is basically ripped out of SilkyVenom's Vanguard Wiki. I take no credit.
    Dark Elf
    darkelfhc6.jpgdarkelfht9.jpg
    Eeeeeeeeeeevvvvvuuuuuuuuullllllll. Seriously, this is your EverQuest dark elf. The only thing they like more than magic is kicking puppies.
    Faction: Qalia
    Classes: Dread Knight, Rogue, Monk, Bard, Cleric, Disciple, Blood Mage, Sorcerer, Psionicist, Necromancer

Dwarf
    dwarfme8.jpgdwarfxo5.jpg
    Nothing particularly surprising here. Dwarves are short, stocky, tough, and favor the sort of classes that punch monsters in the face and make a *clank* noise when they walk.
    Faction: Thestra
    Classes: Warrior, Paladin, Rogue, Cleric, Sorcerer

Gnome
    gnomeqm1.jpggnomeug2.jpg
    Vanguard's gnomes are smart, quick-witted tinkerers who favor magic classes and whose cool, nonchalant exterior belies their burning desire to fiercely hump your leg.
    Classes: Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, Blood Mage, Sorcerer, Psionicist, Necromancer

Goblin
    goblinoq1.jpggoblinmtj7.jpg
    They're tough little buggers with a predisposition towards magic. They're also evil, and bear a strong resemblence to Gremlins.
    Faction: Kojan
    Classes: Warrior, Rogue, Monk, Shaman, Disciple, Blood Mage, Sorcerer, Psionicist, Necromancer

Half-Elf
    halfelfdd1.jpghalfelfof7.jpg
    hay guyz i m haf humen and haf efl!!1

...yeah that description sucks, but what else is there to say? They're balanced in stats and class selection, and... not particularly interesting. I'm fairly sure they don't hump your leg like those little gnome perverts, though. Fairly.
    Classes: Warrior, Ranger, Rogue, Monk, Bard, Disciple, Blood Mage, Sorcerer, Druid, Psionicist, Necromancer

Halfling
    halflingyo4.jpghalflingav2.jpg
    I think that's a chick.

If you tip them over, they also have a sticker. It reads: "Warning: May attempt to steal lucky charms."
    Classes: Warrior, Ranger, Rogue, Bard, Cleric, Druid

High Elf
    highelfzk6.jpghighelf2wm1.jpg
    What they didn't tell you in the book or the movie is that Legolas and Gandalf made sweet man-love and produced these guys. They like magic as much as they like telling you how superior they are.
    Classes: Paladin, Ranger, Bard, Cleric, Blood Mage, Sorcerer, Psionicist

Kojani
    kojanilm2.jpgkojaniwl6.jpg
    The Kojan variant of humans. They're well-balanced, like all the other humans.
    Classes: Warrior, Paladin, Dread Knight, Rogue, Monk, Bard, Disciple, Blood Mage, Sorcerer, Psionicist, Necromancer

Kurashasa
    kurashasaiy2.jpgkurashasavr6.jpg
    Yeah, these guys will be popular. They look badass. They have good stats. Their racial is quite nice. The only down side is that they're evil, and to start they're KoS to just about everything.
    Classes: Warrior, Dread Knight, Ranger, Rogue, Disciple, Sorcerer, Psionicist, Necromancer

Lesser Giant
    lessergiantqt3.jpglessergiantlc4.jpg
    THUD SMASH!
    Classes: Warrior, Dread Knight, Shaman, Druid

Mordebi
    mordebisy9.jpgmordebivl3.jpg
    The Mordebi are the Qalian take on humans. They're well balanced as you'd expect.
    Classes: Warrior, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Monk, Bard, Cleric, Shaman, Disciple, Sorcerer, Druid, Psionicist

Orc
    orcza8.jpgorcmqw7.jpg
    In Vanguard, Orcs camp you!

I apologize, that was horrible. Basically, those guys you old EQ players used to pick on in EC are playable, now.
    Classes: Warrior, Dread Knight, Ranger, Monk, Shaman, Disciple

Qaliathari
    qaliathariti7.jpgqaliathariub0.jpg
    It's like Sigil made an entire race of creepy uncles.

The Qaliathari are yet another human variant, and hence, well-balanced.
    Classes: Warrior, Paladin, Dread Knight, Ranger, Rogue, Monk, Bard, Cleric, Disciple, Blood Mage, Sorcerer, Psionicist, Necromancer

Raki
    rakiis5.jpgrakiez9.jpg
    Fox people. They're short, and they're rather magical in nature.
    Classes: Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Monk, Disciple, Sorcerer, Psionicist

Thestran
    thestranat2.jpgthestranhumanqo3.jpg
    Another take on humans, this time from Thestra. Well balanced, yada yada yada.
    Classes:Warrior, Paladin, Dread Knight, Ranger, Rogue, Bard, Cleric, Blood Mage, Sorcerer, Druid, Psionicist, Necromancer

Varanjar
    varanjaram5.jpgvaranjarje0.jpg
    A race of barbarians from Thestra. They're like humans, but bigger. Not quite as brutish as the Lesser Giants, they nonetheless enjoy smashing.
    Classes: Warrior, Ranger, Rogue, Shaman, Druid

Varanthari
    varantharigx9.jpgvarantharitj0.jpg
    Another barbarian race, this time from Qalia.
    Classes:Warrior, Ranger, Shaman, Druid

Vulmane
    vulmanear0.jpgvulmanehx2.jpg
    Wolf people. These guys are damned cool. They make great tanks.
    Classes: Warrior, Dread Knight, Ranger, Rogue, Shaman, Druid

Wood Elf
    woodelfvy3.jpgwoodelfxx7.jpg
    We end with another elf variant. These guys are just like the Wood Elves from EQ, or the Night Elves from WoW. They're a bunch of granola-eating, tree-hugging, Birkenstock-clad proto-hippies. But you'll be less likely to want to bitch slap one than the other elves in the game.
    Classes: Warrior, Ranger, Bard, Shaman, Druid

0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
    mantis23 on

• mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
      edited March 2007
      Classes Okay, we've covered all the races, but here's what you're probably most interested in: the classes they play. Classes are carved into four main types: protective fighters, offensive fighters, healers, and arcane casters. The classes within these types of classes are remarkably well-designed, each bringing something unique and useful to the table.
        Protective Fighters: Protective fighters are your tanks. They take damage, manage agro, and function as the backbone of the game's crowd control. As melee combatants, they have a ton of reactive abilities and attack chains at their disposal.[list:5d1b3242d1]
        Dread Knight: Dread Knights are similar to the Shadowknights from EQ, but... better. They still focus on debuffing, but one of the key differences is their new passive ability, Dreadful Countenance. Dread Knights debuff everything they hit. And no, not some shitty stat debuff; the increase the mob's chance to be critically hit (by everyone), reduce resistances, reduce mitigation... they're awesome debuffs that benefit the whole team for free.

Inquisitor: Inquisitors aren't actually in the game yet; they're one of the two classes still under development. The idea behind them is that they'll function as anti-magic tanks. If the paladin is a warrior-cleric hybrid, the inquisitor is a warrior-psionicist hybrid.

Paladin: Paladins make a return in Vanguard, but are a whole lot meaner this time. In EQ, they were half-assed tanks with hopelessly outdated healing magic. In Vanguard, they skew more towards the WoW-style paladin; lots of buffs and support abilities, auras, and some extremely powerful heals (which are on timers, preventing them from stepping on the healers' toes).

Warrior: Warriors are your standard defensive fighter. They're definitely a no-nonsense class. They put on heavy armor and hit stuff with big sharp things, and occaisionally big blunt things. Hard. Warriors deal the most damage of the protective fighters.
        Offensive Fighters: Offensive fighters are melee DPS (for the most part). They often provide buffs and have other ancillary effects that make them useful to groups, but have no doubt: these guys are really about beating the living crap out of everything in reach.
          Bard: Back from EQ, but changed. No more twisting. Bards can now create their own songs, and have multiple effects within a song. They also do some serious melee damage, but as before, can concentrate on buffing their group by using instruments if they choose to do so.

Berserker: Along with inquisitors, this is one of the upcoming classes. They aren't available yet. People seem to expect something along the lines of the DAoC berserker.

Monk: Monks are a martial arts-oriented melee class. They have what are perhaps the most involved combat chains in the game. Also, each monk can specialize in a combat style: dragon (AoE damage, magic), harmonious (redirection, debuffing), drunken (evasion, counterattack).

Ranger: While not an archery class per se, the ranger is the game's premier bow user. They have some natural magic, stealth skills, and heavy melee damage as well.

Rogue: These guys are more WoW rogue than EQ rogue, but otherwise what you'd expect; stealth, backstabbing, posions. One interesting twist is how rogues work well together; they have a system similar to WoW's combo points, but it's shared amongst all rogues on the same target. The class designer at Sigil has been quoted as saying "It will take a higher level of class knowledge and skill to fully utilize the capabilities of the Rogue.”

Healers: This is pretty self-explanitory.
            Blood Mage: The blood mage is a pretty different kind of healer. One part necromancer, one part WoW rogue, one part cleric. Blood mages use a lot of lifetaps and drains, and build combo points (of sorts) on their targets, which they can use to make certain spells more powerful, and use special abilities.

Cleric: Clerics are exactly what you think they are: heavily-armored healers. They have one really cool ability, though: the ability to recover energy by meleeing. It leads to some pretty epic fights.

Disciple: Another interesting healing class. Disciples are a sort of monk-healer hybrid, and they heal by dealing melee damage (they do have direct heals, but that's only a small part of their abilities). The closest class I can think of would be DAoC's friar.

Shaman: Shaman are similar to EQ's implimentation; hybrid healer-buffer types with some nice DoTs and decent direct damage. At level 15, they choose a patron spirit; a wolf, bear, or phoenix. The spirit determines their spell progression for the rest of the game, with the bear granting melee abilities and buffs, as well as a bear pet (very soloable). The wolf offers some stealth, and buffs that are geared towards offensive fighter buffs, as well as a pet wolf, and the phoenix is a nuking pet; not very soloable, but they have some good caster buffs.

Arcane Casters: These guys use magic to blow shit up. Some have some utility, but mostly they're about big, flashy explosions, impaling people with flaming spears, and so on.
              Druid: Druid are back, and they're full-blown nukers, now. They also heal, but don't rez. Yes, they still have SoW. They also have abilities called calamities and wonders; rarely-usable uber-abilities that are said to be able to turn the tide of any battle. Never seen one, though.

Necromancers: If you played EQ: they're baaaaaaack. If you played WoW, think Warlock. If you played DAoC, think Cabalist/Spiritmaster. For anyone else, they're a debuffing, DoTing pet class.

Psionicist: Imagine someone took the EQ enchanter, and made it a badass damage class with fewer crowd control spells. That's what the psionicist is. They're a true blue nuker with mana recovery buffs (sure to be popular) and some nasty, nasty attacks. Psionicists also have access to the only global chat channel in the game. Whether or not this is a good thing I leave up to you, but it's interesting fluff, nonetheless.

Sorcerer: The sorcerer is your typical magic nuker; fire, ice, magic force. They blow shit up. They're the premier AoE nukers, and still have wicked single target damage output. Not quite as soloable as a psionicist, though.

mantis23 on
              0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
              edited March 2007
              Penny Arcadians

Penny Arcadians is the unofficial Penny Arcade guild. We are on the Flamehammer server and are primarily on the continent of Thestra. We do have some members on Kojan and Qalia as well, and as we grow in size and in level we expect to be able to cover all 3 contienents.

Currently we have around 50 members from levels up to the thirties. We try to group as often as possible and organize guild events on weekends. Our roster of board people is:

PA Name - Vanguard Name -Lvl

Mantis23 - Esarios - 31 *OFFICER*
              Chrpnk - Quelin - 30 *OFFICER*
              Dreaven - Kregnok - 27 *OFFICER*
              Tal - Taelus - 14 *OFFICER*
              Fellhand - Eledridan - 15 *OFFICER*
              Trevor Goodchild - Loras - 31 *OFFICER*
              Foomy - Fooms - 30
              Electric Boogaloo - Poppen - 14
              Strato - Drodei - 13
              Dachish - Dachen - 13
              Warhed - Ots - 13
              Pb - Anneliese - 13
              Liquid Ghost - Raivotar - 10
              Mephianse - Xan - 8
              Jdarksun - Krenoad - 10
              The Sneak! - Cyre - 10
              Selner - Seldren - 8

Plus a bunch of people that are either board lurkers or just recognized the PA name.

If you need an invite to the guild send any of the officers a /tell and we will be glad to send you an invite.
              I'll try to keep this as up to date as possible, both with additional members and guild news.

mantis23 on
              0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
              edited March 2007
              saving this space just in case

mantis23 on
              0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
            • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              Woot! good job mantis

Draeven on
              Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              You do not have me on the list. This saddens me.

See if I heal you anymore.

chrpnk on
              edited March 2007
              chrpnk wrote: »

There, you are now on the list. I was too busy following you lowbies around, mezzing your adds, and keeping you buffed.

mantis23 on
              0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
            • TalTal Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              I'm pretty much on Taelus anymore, for adventuring at least. Trissa may end up being my crafting character though.

Tal on
              edited March 2007
              Tal wrote: »
              I'm pretty much on Taelus anymore, for adventuring at least. Trissa may end up being my crafting character though.

Gotcha, I'll update the list.

mantis23 on
              0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
              edited March 2007
              mantis23 wrote: »
              chrpnk wrote: »

There, you are now on the list. I was too busy following you lowbies around, mezzing your adds, and keeping you buffed.

I'm sorry Sir.

chrpnk on
            • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
              edited March 2007
              Does this have separate US/EU servers? I have access to a trial, but I'd rather play with you homps than random losers.

Echo on
            • PbPb Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              My character is Anneliese - Rogue - 11

Pb on
            • ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              I *think* you can choose US or EU servers. I shall check when I get home today if no one else beats me to it.

I can now make 10 slot Jute bags. So send me jutes and I will send you bags. it's 3 jute bales/bolts for 1 10 slot bag. I have some jute which I can use to make baggages too but my supply is limited.

ElectricBoogaloo on
              camo_sig2.png
            • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              I'm Cyre, Level 8 Cleric. The fiancee is Ciani, Level 4 Bard.

The Sneak! on
              edited March 2007
              I *think* you can choose US or EU servers. I shall check when I get home today if no one else beats me to it.

I can now make 10 slot Jute bags. So send me jutes and I will send you bags. it's 3 jute bales/bolts for 1 10 slot bag. I have some jute which I can use to make baggages too but my supply is limited.

I do believe I have decided on my harvesting profession (although I'll probably check the auctions first).

Tal on
            • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              Yay new thread. This double xp weekend help a lot. I'll try to get an invite to the guild tonight.

ze swift class on
            • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
              edited March 2007
              Are trial keys fairly limited? If not, I would like one, this game looks pretty damn cool. Blood Mage and Psionicist sound awesome.

captaink on
              edited March 2007
              captaink wrote: »
              Are trial keys fairly limited? If not, I would like one, this game looks pretty damn cool. Blood Mage and Psionicist sound awesome.

Just that it's limited to 10 days.

chrpnk on
              edited March 2007
              Yeah, that would be good. I'm gonna hold off on using it till next week though, I'm going camping this weekend. Can I download the client somewhere before I use up the key? I hear it's huge and I don't want to spend 2 of my 10 days downloading it.

captaink on
              edited March 2007
              Thank you sir.

captaink on
            • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              Echo wrote: »
              Does this have separate US/EU servers? I have access to a trial, but I'd rather play with you homps than random losers.

I'd also like an answer to this beyond someone *thinking* something might or might not be. I'm contemplating on buying this game come next pay day and one of the key factors will be whether or not I can play with my fellow Penny Arcade folks, but as a European I'm afraid I'll be stuck with European servers with a bunch of Germans and Frenchies. Goddamn Germans and Frenchies, go learn some English why don't you!

reVerse on
              edited March 2007
              no as an american i can choose eu servers or american servers, u can play on what ever server u like.

Draeven on
              Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• StratoStrato Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              Just so you guys know, I probably won't be playing anymore. I don't really have the time to continue with it, but I had a blast trying it out. Good luck!

(Many thanks to LG for the trial key and saving $52.49 of my cash)

Strato on
              edited March 2007
              Strato wrote: »
              Just so you guys know, I probably won't be playing anymore. I don't really have the time to continue with it, but I had a blast trying it out. Good luck!

(Many thanks to LG for the trial key and saving $52.49 of my cash)

Well thanks again for all the help getting the guild up and running. Hopefully we'll see you again down the road!

mantis23 on
              0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
              edited March 2007
              Dang, there doesn't appear to be a way to update the cllient without burning my key.

captaink on
              edited March 2007
              oh :( thats no good. cause its gonna take a good 5+ hours of dling to get the client and they are about to do a huge art push tuesday. hey bout to watch heros whos up for some xps ? :) or should i just go kill named mobs in random newbie dungeans :)

Draeven on

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              So I picked this up to see how it goes. Made a Thestran Necromancer named Pharisee and got him to 4 last night. Runs quite well on my oldish comp at low settings and I'll play with the video options later.

I'm not planning on quitting WoW anytime soon though, at worst I'll just focus on my Warlock.

However, I will be making a Wood Elf Berserker alt when the class goes live.

Edit: and I'm on Flamehammer.

Kevin Crist on
              acpRlGW.jpg
              Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
            • EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              I bought this and installed it last night, it patched today while I'm at work.

I'm torn between Shaman, Druid, and Monk, I have no idea what I want to play...

EQDuffy on
            • StratoStrato Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              EQDuffy wrote: »
              I bought this and installed it last night, it patched today while I'm at work.

I'm torn between Shaman, Druid, and Monk, I have no idea what I want to play...

Healer... Nuker... Fighter... pretty disparate roles, at least.

I enjoyed Druid, but Shaman had some sweet buffs that I loved having cast on me. Monk sounds like an in-depth chaining class in groups.

I'll be damned in Druid Cloudwalk isn't the most fun spell I've ever experienced though.

Strato on
              edited March 2007
              right on just look for kregnok or esarios ingame for a guild invite. I found a great spot to level around the lakeview area for lvl 18+ im sure we could go with som lvl 17 etc for the dps , we should look into that.

Id suggest druid for high dps and a side of healing. shamans are good for healing but we got like 3 + clerics in the works.

and where the hell does vanguard put the screen shots at ? i cant find a folder in my vg folder oh well, got a cool looing bp tonight.

Draeven on

edited March 2007
              It might be sticking them in My Documents\My Games, like some games do with files these days.

captaink on
            • dachishdachish Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              They are in C:\Vanguard\ScreenShots or wherever you installed VG.
              Don't make the mistake of thinking PRINT SCREEN takes screen shots, even though it pauses the game for a moment. It's actually NUMPAD - that does it.

dachish on
              My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
              Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
              edited March 2007
              ahh print screen has lied to me. Blast! ok then i kno what my problme is. now if i could find my numpad button we would be in good shape.

Draeven on

• ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              Numpad? My... keyboard doesn't say that anywhere...

ze swift class on
              edited March 2007
              tonight was fun. dungeons were owned. nameds were killed.

the quote of the night: "Oh look there's Kregn-AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

and a screenshot of Fooms, Quelin and myself goofing around before we killed the Houndmaster guy.

vanguard1.jpg

mantis23 on
              0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
              edited March 2007
              so what button did you press mantis to get that picture ?

Draeven on

edited March 2007
              I thought I read it was the '-' key on the numpad but I can't remember. It should be listed under the key bindings in settings.

Tal on
              edited March 2007
              you can go into settings to remap it if you'd like...I have mine set to printscreen but I do believe it was the "-" key originally

mantis23 on
              0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
            • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              DroxUI remaps screenshot to F11 or F12 (whichever one isn't Autorun)

krylon666 on
              edited March 2007
              found this named mob walking the river earlier today ithink he needs to die

screenshot00001hv1.jpg

Draeven on

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
              edited March 2007
              So after realizing that my Station Pass pays for this game I figured I might as well get it. And I'm a sucker for collector's editions so I spent way too much on that. But it has a cloth map, woo!

Started a darkie necro named Sindarin on Flamehammer, but there are some bugs that make that class damn near unplayable, at least solo. Pet aggro that works when it wants to, pets vanishing when chunking or evacing... plus, the dark elf starting area is a pain in the ass. So I started a wood elf ranger, name's Zavijah, and I like the class so far. At 55 diplomacy now too, that's a damn fun minigame with some nice rewards (already got a 12 slot bag and 8 or 9 silver from it).

Servers are down right now for a hotfix, but I'll look for you guys when they come back up.

AresProphet on
              ex9pxyqoxf6e.png