As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter [Previews Thread] Avoiding Spoilers

CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Graphic Violence
With the last thread having been put to rest, I'm being the opportunistic bastard who creates the replacement thread.

That said, this is the previews thread and as such This thread is filled with lots of spoilers. So you've been warned at least twice now.

So to kick things off:

Mark Waid and Dale Eaglesham on Captain America #600, with pencils from Eaglesham.
captain-america-20090511033104977.jpg
captain-america-20090511033059790.jpg
captain-america-20090511033057431.jpg

Crimsondude on

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    cap 600 is going to be 104 pages? good lord that's great.

Angry on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah. It's going to be filled with all sorts of awesomeness. I'm especially looking forward to Joe Simon's essay--the man who taught Stan Lee about showmanship.

Crimsondude on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait...so does that mean that Brubaker is dropping off of Captain America? He's already dropping off of Daredevil. I will be sad if he's off of Cap too.

Lucascraft on
    edited May 2009
    No. Cap #600 has like a half-dozen writers doing separate pieces.
    CAPTAIN AMERICA #600 (APR090492)
    Written by ED BRUBAKER with MARK WAID, ROGER STERN & STAN LEE
    Pencils by BUTCH GUICE, LUKE ROSS, DALE EAGLESHAM, AL AVISION, HOWARD CHAYKIN, DAVID AJA, RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE & KALMAN ANDRASOFSZKY
    Cover by STEVE EPTING
    50/50 Cover by ALEX ROSS
    Rated T+ …$4.99
    FOC—5/28/09, On-Sale—6/17/09

Crimsondude on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Looks like this will be almost as epic as Thor #600.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2009
    So, Mask. What's your take on Hudlin leaving Black Panther?

Crimsondude on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Captain America was a cop at one point?

Also, there's already a conversation about Black Panther in the Comic News thread, so you might as well discuss it there instead of here. No use having two groups of people discuss the same thing concurrently, after all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hudlin Black Panther

Since this seems like as good a place as any, why is the Hudlin BP such a point of contention amongst dudes who read the comics? Not trying to start an argument (though it probably will end up that way), I'm honestly just curious.

That discussion doesn't really have anything to do with previews.

The second volume of one of my favorite comix ever, Won Ton Soup, comes out in a few weeks. You guys should check out the free huge preview of the first volume.
    Book Description
    Johnny Boyo could have had it all. Women. Money. Fame. As one of the premiere chefs in the galaxy, Johnny's culinary skills could have made him a star. So with everything he ever dreamed of his for the taking, why would Johnny leave it all behind to become a space trucker? Not even Citrus Watts, the girl he left behind, knows for sure. With the sizzle of life in the kitchen behind him, things were going okay for Johnny. Now after years out of the catering scene, Johnny and his pal Deacon are about to find themselves in water hotter than anything they've ever seen before!

Johnny will once again have to pick up the whisk and skillet, but will his eroded skills be enough to get them out of the craziest cook-off in the Universe?

And what good is a spatula against space ninjas?

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2009
    So, Mask. What's your take on Hudlin leaving Black Panther?

I'd feel better about it if the incoming writer was a known quantity, but as long as the book retains the tone of the series and doesn't go off on any stupid tangents, I can live with it. Speaking of Hudlin, I really want him to talk with Grevioux about doing more with the Blue Marvel.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2009
    The second volume of one of my favorite comix ever, Won Ton Soup, comes out in a few weeks. You guys should check out the free huge preview of the first volume.

Neat. I'm always down with a massive preview. But that looks pretty awesome.

EDIT: Cap #50 preview

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My comic shop got one of those post card ads that featured the Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-men "Utopia" crossover that starts next month. Seems like there's 12 issues total with the one-shot in June being part one and DA/UXM being parts 2-6. 2 issues of Legacy also tie-in along with the 3 standalone origin issues of the Dark X-men. Finally there's a "Confession" issue (uh-oh) as an epilogue. I'm still deciding whether I want to just trade wait or get the issues in singles.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd pick up the first issue only for the Silvestri art, then wait.

Fraction is writing the Uncanny and Dark Avengers issues, so you have to be careful, and see if he's using his "Uncanny" persona to write it (which is bad) or his "Invincible Iron Man" persona (which is very good).

TexiKen on
    edited May 2009
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Obviously the Ruins universe is bleeding into 616.

Munch on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    whoa whoa whoa...

did somebody
    gut the Watcher? possibly while high?

reeeed huuuuulllllk! i'm looking in your direction!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    i like that he's missing one of his big dumb flip-flops.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am so glad I'm not picking up Millar's FF run, because I don't want to know why that would happen.

Fencingsax on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like Miller, but I think the "summer blockbuster" description his work so often gets is pretty accurate. He loves taking huge things and injecting explosions and surprise death into them.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited May 2009
    The theme for “Captain America” #600 is “Where were you when Captain America was shot?” Explained Brevoort, “We'll be cutting all around the Marvel Universe to get a wide variety of perspectives and stories, as the anniversary of Cap's death is about to hit. Pretty much all of the main players in the series will be on hand, including Bucky, Natasha, The Falcon, and Sharon, as well as the Avengers (both New and Dark), Patriot of the Young Avengers, Crossbones and Sin, the Red Skull, and Rikki Barnes.”

Additionally, readers will learn more about the aforementioned 1950s Cap in “Captain America” #600. Brevoort also revealed the issue will provide some clues about Sharon Carter's dream in issue #49, in which she flashed back to her time as a captive of the Red Skull, when she apparently saw someone with a device that resembled Doctor Doom's time machine. Was this someone Steve Rogers? Only time will tell.

Oh, speaking of which. I saw something for that Reborn thing Brubaker and Hitch are doing.

Reborn #1 of 5
    Written by Ed Brubaker
    Pencilled by Bryan Hitch
    50/50 covers by Bryan Hitch and Alex Ross
    Variant cover by John Cassaday
    32 pgs/Rated T+ ... $3.99
    7/1/2009

I don't care about Ultimatum, and by all appearances neither does Hitch. But I'd be super pissed if he pawns this off to do more strawberry shortcake painting.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bryan Hitch isn't drawing Ultimatum, David Finch is. And Finch is being a lazy asshole.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited May 2009
    *blinks*

I knew that.

Wednesday Comics - Green Lantern

Yes!
    wc2greenlantern2.jpg

Crimsondude on
    edited May 2009
    Captain Britain and MI 13 Annual preview art from Paul Cornell's blog.

Adrian Alphona's back, yo!

TexiKen on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    that GL art looks money as shit. what else has that guy done?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    CBR's got their previews for next week's Marvel-releases. Click here to check them out. And then click the box below to see what'll probably be a Moment Of The (Next) Week, set in the pages of Punisher #5.
    punisherprv2603pg4q.jpg
    punisherprv2603pg5.jpg
    punisherprv2603pg6.jpg

Owenashi on
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    CBR's got their previews for next week's Marvel-releases. Click here to check them out. And then click the box below to see what'll probably be a Moment Of The (Next) Week, set in the pages of Punisher #5.
    punisherprv2603pg4q.jpg
    punisherprv2603pg5.jpg
    punisherprv2603pg6.jpg

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS EPIC AND SO SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Divebommah on
    edited May 2009
    Remender wins at life. Goddamn, I am buying the shit out of his Punisher starting right now the hell now.

(the next time I go to the store)

DouglasDanger on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is that the punisher that replaced Ennis' line or is the one in 616 cont?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow I might just order Punisher starting 5 minutes ago.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2009
    Is that the punisher that replaced Ennis' line or is the one in 616 cont?

That's the 616 one where he fights the Cabal, starting with the Hood.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2009
    Remender's Punisher is so damn good.

wwtMask on
    edited May 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    punisherprv2603pg4q.jpg
    punisherprv2603pg5.jpg
    punisherprv2603pg6.jpg

That is just too goddamn awesome.

Crimsondude on
    edited May 2009
    Opena deserves to be a household name on par with Hitch and McNiven.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2009
    You should have put up the full thing. I love the last page:
    prv2603_pg7.jpg

prv2603_pg8.jpg
    The little one

That's ridonculously awesome.

Crimsondude on
    edited May 2009
    it's good. it's a good gun.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2009
    Man, I need to make that a theme.

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2009
    Oh, so Joe Quinones -- the artist for Wednesday Comics GL.

He did an interview with Nrama, and has worked on Caped, Teen Titans Go!, Hack/Slash, and a bunch of other freelance/commission stuff. I like this:
    sfuyl2.jpg

Back to previews or preview nonsense or something. DiDio did his thing today again. About that pulp heroes mashup pic.
    3. Moving on to the teaser art that was revealed last week showing Doc Savage...what can you say about that, and your plans for the character – not to mention that The Spirit was shown to be in that image, along with Blackhawk...

DD: We’re working with a series of characters that fit within that genre, and we’re exploring their...interactions, to be slightly coy about it. We have several projects on the burners right now, and it’s a little early to start discussing them, but the chances to see Doc Savage encountering The Spirit, Blackhawk, and other characters with that same tone and sensibility is being actively pursued. It’s something we’ll be seeing in the latter half of this year. The best part of it is that the overarching story is something that’s being written by Brian Azzarello.

About Batman:
    From the fan perspective, we all know that there’s something going on with Bruce Wayne. So therefore, we’re going to see reflections of the Bruce Wayne story, the Batman story as it plays out in the DC Universe in all of the Batman books and reflections of it in Blackest Night. The fan knows – or the fans might guess – that was not Batman’s body that was recovered as a skeleton in Final Crisis #6, but nobody else knows that. Part of the year we have coming ahead of us is the exploration of what that means to the DC Universe – what that body represents, and more importantly, what actually happened to Bruce Wayne, and the mystery surrounding him.
    10. Given that is has been used so...heavily in the DCU, will “death” still be as strong as a story point after Blackest Night as it was before?

DD: Following Blackest Night, I think that death is a trick we will not be using very often – or at all for a long, long time. There is a finality of what goes on in Blackest Night, and there is an explanation of the “revolving door” sense of death in the DCU that’s part of the Blackest Night storyline.

Crimsondude on
    edited May 2009
    Regarding 52 and Mark Waid's recent ain't it cool interview:
    DD : The concept that I am not proud of 52 is ridiculous. Anybody here who knows me knows that the minute issue #52 of 52 hit my hands was one of my proudest moments at DC Comics. It's something that I was involved in from the very inception of the project, and made sure that everything worked perfectly in order to achieve that. It was a project and process that we all worked for. It was the editors, the sales department, the marketing department, the production department. Every single person who worked on 52 is intensely proud of their work on that production. When we started it, we were not sure if we were going to be able to achieve our goals, and we exceeded them.

If he was so proud of it why did he spoil it in his DC Nation halfway through the series, when people really didn't know what 52 would be? People who pour there heart into something don't really spoil it halfway through. I take Waid's side on this argument, truth be told.

And as a sidenote, I've noticed Matt Brady is becoming a little more bitchy and dismissive to the readers and there questions or comments, just lumping them all together as rabid fanboys. It's popped up in other articles he's done (like the Kevin Smith Green Hornet/Batman one where he tries to justify a 6 month delay), and has made me just go to the site less and less.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2009
    Well, the most cogent point is that DiDio never actually answered the question he was asked.

Crimsondude on
    edited May 2009
    Well, I expect that from anyone in comics who isn't Keith Giffen or Kurt Busiek, really.

TexiKen on