As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tony Hawk: Ride - Giant Skateboard Peripheral of Doom

LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In CyberspaceThe Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
thride2.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/tony-hawk-ride/11311

http://kotaku.com/5255409/new-tony-hawk-game-has-a-freakin-skateboard-peripheral?autoplay=true
As was rumoured, it's been officially revealed that the next Tony Hawk game from Activision - called Tony Hawk: Ride - will be shipping with a giant, hulking skateboard peripheral.

This is either the smartest, or stupidest, thing Activision have ever done.

The announcement was made on the latest episode of GameTrailers TV. There's a trailer below. Not much else was revealed other than the fact the game will be out on 360, PS3 and Wii. Oh, and that it has a giant plastic skateboard peripheral.

Has Activision gone mad? Or are they BRILLIANT?

I'm going to wait to hear more about it...but I'm not quite sure this is what we needed...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
Legacy on

• capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wii Fit what have you done

capnrico on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    capnrico wrote: »
    Wii Fit what have you done

I think this has more to do with guitar hero. Worst thing is that the balance board would work just aswell but knowing activision you would be forced to buy the plastic skateboard for the wii version

Ziggymon on
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No. Wrong Answer. Exactly what I DON'T want with a Tony Hawk game.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I foresee a hilarious E3 showing from Activision, whether this concept works or not.

Homestar Gunner on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    No. Just no.

Bad Activision.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This will probably cost more than my old board and the hardware I had to replace when I was still using it. No, this WILL cost more than my board and the parts I put into it.

Stupid.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well it's official, I'm not buying this.

How would you even use those buttons on the side? Like, I have to pick it up, press buttons, then put it down and play with it? Wouldn't a controller be better for that?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    brynstar wrote: »
    Well it's official, I'm not buying this.

How would you even use those buttons on the side? Like, I have to pick it up, press buttons, then put it down and play with it? Wouldn't a controller be better for that?

Today, we will teach little Jimmy to be daddy's bitch.

"PRESS A DAMNIT, I'M TRYING TO OLLIE. YOU'RE GROUNDED!"

SniperGuy on
    edited May 2009
    You know what Tony Hawk's Pro Skater needed to do?

Go backwards.

THPS4 was your best entry. Why? Because it had all the necessary moves and game upgrades from THPS1-3 to make it more refined (manuals, reverts, re-arranging yourself if you fly off a ramp) without all the stuff you didn't need (getting off the board (this is an arcade-style game!), that "frenzy" mode that let you break your board for extra points (?)). It had the most well-designed levels, and more importantly, goals, objectives and the people who gave them to you were all spread out nice and well. I jumped into Tony Hawk's Project 8 and it looked like someone threw up neon in my eyes, there was so much shit going on on-screen at once.

It was a fantastic game, one of my favorite games overall from last-gen. 190 increasingly-harder goals spread across huge levels, it took a while to complete but I literally went through and did all 190 several times over. You have the machine horsepower to make a bigger and better game, do it! THPS4 with 1,000 goals.

UnbreakableVow on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Full episode can be now seen at Gametrailers TV:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=59&ch=1&sd=0

Looks actually pretty neat, although graphics are average.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    After seeing the preview for this on G4 earlier, I was actually a bit surprised.

Something like this could be pretty fun if you had enough disposable income to flush away on silly peripherals. Watching my boozed up friends falling on their faces could prove to be pretty entertaining.

What I was NOT impressed with was the visuals. I hope they're just in a real early prototype because it looked craptastic in motion. Whoa, typical Activision character models with carazy motion trails when spinning midair! So extreme!

The worst thing about Tony Hawk games is they never seem to be able to pick an interesting visual style. Either make it pretty and real like skate, or make it super stylized, because something in between just looks indecisive.

If you're going to do something so supposedly revolutionary with your controls, why not also give you're presentation a suitable overhaul?

earthwormadam on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thride sounds like a brand of detergent.

Gets stains out fast! TRY THRIDE TODAY!

-SPI- on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Thride sounds like a brand of detergent.

Gets stains out fast! TRY THRIDE TODAY!

Yeah, they should've called it TH rash for all the rug burnings it'll be causing.

earthwormadam on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    You know what Tony Hawk's Pro Skater needed to do?

Go backwards.

THPS4 was your best entry. Why? Because it had all the necessary moves and game upgrades from THPS1-3 to make it more refined (manuals, reverts, re-arranging yourself if you fly off a ramp) without all the stuff you didn't need (getting off the board (this is an arcade-style game!), that "frenzy" mode that let you break your board for extra points (?)). It had the most well-designed levels, and more importantly, goals, objectives and the people who gave them to you were all spread out nice and well. I jumped into Tony Hawk's Project 8 and it looked like someone threw up neon in my eyes, there was so much shit going on on-screen at once.

It was a fantastic game, one of my favorite games overall from last-gen. 190 increasingly-harder goals spread across huge levels, it took a while to complete but I literally went through and did all 190 several times over. You have the machine horsepower to make a bigger and better game, do it! THPS4 with 1,000 goals.

4 was solid, but THUG was pretty good too. I mean, if they're not going to at least add new gameplay, put an awesome story together.

And then THUG2 happened.

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2009
    THUG was pretty good, but it added the whole get-off-your-board thing. Which is understandable in Skate, it's trying to be more simulation.

But in a game where I am grinding the rails of the old jailhouse at Alcatraz to collect floating keys and let out a prisoner that's been stranded for years, it really has no place.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I don't remember it really being required for anything in THUG. Most of it's use was to link together certain trick lines

FyreWulff on
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
    edited May 2009
    THUG was pretty good, but it added the whole get-off-your-board thing. Which is understandable in Skate, it's trying to be more simulation.

But in a game where I am grinding the rails of the old jailhouse at Alcatraz to collect floating keys and let out a prisoner that's been stranded for years, it really has no place.

I agree that they went in the wrong direction with it, but you at should at least be able to walk up some stairs.

Stick a rail there. Why walk when you can grind?

Bam.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have zero desire to play this.

LewieP on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I agree that they went in the wrong direction with it, but you at should at least be able to walk up some stairs.

Stick a rail there. Why walk when you can grind?

Bam.

This would solve the problem, true, but I feel it fails to address the point I was making.

Obviously it should break the combo. Character has legs, therefore should be able to go up stairs. Just basic logic.

Also, there are some places where you either physically couldn't put a rail, or where it would look wrong. And by "wrong" I mean aesthetically, I'm not saying by the standards of perfect realism.

edit: Anyways, I don't really want to get into it, so whatever, I'll drop it if you will.
    If anything Tony Hawk games should be abandoning any hints of realism. They lost that battle to skate, so fuck it, go wild with the crazy stuff of the first couple of games. Have tony hawk skating on the fucking moon! Have Tony Hawk being abducted by aliens and having to make the ultimate combo to save the earth. Make Tony Hawk to skating what the elite beat agents are to music. Solve people's problems by doing fuckawesome trick chains around them. I'd buy it.

-SPI- on
    edited May 2009
    If anything Tony Hawk games should be abandoning any hints of realism. They lost that battle to skate, so fuck it, go wild with the crazy stuff of the first couple of games. Have tony hawk skating on the fucking moon! Have Tony Hawk being abducted by aliens and having to make the ultimate combo to save the earth. Make Tony Hawk to skating what the elite beat agents are to music. Solve people's problems by doing fuckawesome trick chains around them. I'd buy it.

You and me dude, we should be making this game.

And speaking of this game's creators, it's being made by a company called Robomodo? Who the fuck are these guys?

UnbreakableVow on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You and me dude, we should be making this game.

And speaking of this game's creators, it's being made by a company called Robomodo? Who the fuck are these guys?

rbmlogo.gif

whoooo

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited May 2009
    Dude this is my chance!

UnbreakableVow on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A Game Studio Dedicated to Doing it Right!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I got on a skateboard once.

I really prefer the control pad.

Less sore asses.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How long do you think it will take for someone to fall off that thing and sue Activision?

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
    edited May 2009
    DasBoot wrote: »
    How long do you think it will take for someone to fall off that thing and sue Activision?

Guys, I changed my mind and am now pre-ordering it as soon as I can.

UnbreakableVow on
  • honey nut cheerioshoney nut cheerios __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm putting down a peso on two days.

honey nut cheerios on
    Uriel3.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This seems utterly retarded, but I'll put off basing an entire opinion just on that teaser trailer. I'm really curious how you play on that thing.

Though it smacks of trying to one up Skate. It's like "Skate gave them semi realistic controls? We'll show them what realistic controls really are!"

Kyougu on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is an exceptionally impressively terrible idea.

Xagarath on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought little plastic musical instruments looked stupid at first too, after all the fun I've experienced from rockband I'm willing at least to see how the concept works out.

I watched this show about it on Spike last night and the peripheral looked kind of fun honestly.

troublebrewing on
    edited May 2009
    Strangely, a majority of the bitching about it so far is the game it's with from what I've seen, and not so much the controller. The controller is neat, but it's another thing if it will sell.

FyreWulff on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man are they asking for a lawsuit. Maybe you hold the board in your hands and move it how you want it to go. I dunno. It might work out.

The best Tony Hawk games were 2 and 3. 4 was pretty good, but that was when they started to get away from the awesome and tried to do too much. I'd buy a remake of Tonys 1-4 with super HD graffix. I haven't really touched the series since THUG.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wasn't Project 8 pretty well received?

Kyougu on
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Strangely, a majority of the bitching about it so far is the game it's with from what I've seen, and not so much the controller. The controller is neat, but it's another thing if it will sell.

To me, the whole "Look its a skateboard controller! Ohhh its so neat!" says that Activistion doesn't understand why Tony Hawk used to be good. So they are chasing Skate, or just trying to ram an expensive plastic thing down our throats, and not saying "Man, why haven't these games been selling as well as they used to? What have we changed?"

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Having loved the balls off skate 1 and 2, this seems completely absurd. But then I'm curious how it'll actually work, and would like to know more.

But then, new giant plastic peripheral for the house! That'll probably break!

I also like the mental image of someone sitting holding the thing and trying to use it like a normal controller.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wasn't Project 8 pretty well received?

I really, really don't think so.

Also, they sure fucking jumped the shark (literally?) after about.. 4? I didn't even play the last ones and I was the biggest THPS fan..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I stopped playing the game after 2. I don't care about anything skateboarding but the games were fun. Are the majority of their customers looking for ANY realism?

solsovly on