As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should I Be Worried About Glass Shards?

MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, before you read through this, I'm just going to come out and say that I'm a dumbass, although I'm sure you would reach that conclusion on your own.

Friday night I was at a party with a few friends. I passed out, and then the person that I went to the party with woke me up and said that we had to get back to his place. I was still rather shitfaced, so I didn't really think to much of it and got in his truck. On the way to his house, we wrecked. The truck flipped three times, all the windows shattered, and it's essentially totaled. We managed to get it back to his house that night, but I couldn't really tell you how. During the rollover, I was luckily wearing my belt, I think, but when the windows shattered the glass shards found their way down the back of my coat. Neither of us were seriously injured from this, just bruised and cut, but there are several pieces of glass stuck in my back that I can't get out, and others can't really dig out of there. My buddy who went to school to be a vet said that when the wounds started to scab, the shards of glass would be pushed out.

I don't want to go to the hospital, because aside from the fact that I'd have to admit, face to face, to another human being what a dumbass I am for getting in the truck with him, I don't want the authorities to find out about this because it would probably be very bad for both of us. Any advice would be appreciated.

MrBallbaggins on

• AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You should probably go to the hospital anyway to make sure you don't have any internal injuries or anything. Your friend is right, your body will push the glass out as it heals (it'll be kinda nasty and come out covered in puss, but otherwise it'll be fine).

Andorien on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    First off, lemme say that drinking and drving is fucking retarded and you're lucky you are alive at all.

Second, the glass shouldn't be too hard to remove (maybe a little painful) with a small pair of tweezers. If it is any deeper than that, you probably will want to get a doctor to remove them. This doesn't require an ER visit.
    Andorien wrote: »
    You should probably go to the hospital anyway to make sure you don't have any internal injuries or anything. Your friend is right, your body will push the glass out as it heals (it'll be kinda nasty and come out covered in puss, but otherwise it'll be fine).

Depending on how deep the glass is embedded, it may not come out. It could stay lodged within his back and get infected, which will just make things much worse.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • MrBallbagginsMrBallbaggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I know D&D is stupid, that's why I didn't drive there. I didn't realize quite how drunk my buddy was when we went to leave.

We tried the tweezer method, but most of the pieces were too small to grab with them. We did cut open the flesh around them and pour some rubbing alcohol on it to help kill any infection, so hopefully I won't have to worry about that.

MrBallbaggins on
  • GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For a moment I'll put the fact that you're a dumbass aside, simply because you can admit it, so I'll continue on to my point...

You were in a truck that rolled, and you were covered in shattered glass... Yes, you were wearing a seatbelt but that doesnt mean that your insides can be jarred around a bit more than normal. The glass, yeah I'm sure your body will push it out, but what about the chance of infection if it's not taken care of properly.

Go to the hospital... Also, how did the authorities manage to not find out about this... the truck rolled and made a mess somewhere...

Meh, hopefully your glass wounds turn out okay. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Gahmrious on
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I know D&D is stupid, that's why I didn't drive there. I didn't realize quite how drunk my buddy was when we went to leave.

We tried the tweezer method, but most of the pieces were too small to grab with them. We did cut open the flesh around them and pour some rubbing alcohol on it to help kill any infection, so hopefully I won't have to worry about that.

Alchohol isn't a cure-all when it comes to infection. The fact that there is glass in your back (dirty glass mind you) is enough to make it get all infected. A trip to the doctor's office isn't a bad idea. You can just make up another excuse as to why it happened if you are that worried about it.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, it's so long after the fact that they can't prove he was drunk driving any more.

Did he hit another car or person or house or something?

Doc on
    edited March 2007
    Well, I went to work today (I'm a furniture mover) and nothing felt awry in my insides, although in general I feel like I've gotten my ass kicked pretty hard, but I think I'm ok internally. The authorities didn't find out because it happened a half mile from his house and somehow the truck landed on it's wheels so it was easy enough to tow back with his dad's truck.

I guess I already knew I have to go to the doctor, but I was hoping I wouldn't.

Thank you all for your time and help.

No, we didn't hit anything else, the road was clear. There was actually a bunny on the road, and he swerved to hit it and went into the ditch, and overcompensated trying to pull it back on the road. I was really hoping noone would ask me to explain that.

And no, we didn't get that rabbit.

MrBallbaggins on
    edited March 2007
    Well, I went to work today (I'm a furniture mover) and nothing felt awry in my insides, although in general I feel like I've gotten my ass kicked pretty hard, but I think I'm ok internally. The authorities didn't find out because it happened a half mile from his house and somehow the truck landed on it's wheels so it was easy enough to tow back with his dad's truck.

I guess I already knew I have to go to the doctor, but I was hoping I wouldn't.

Thank you all for your time and help.

No, we didn't hit anything else, the road was clear. There was actually a bunny on the road, and he swerved to hit it and went into the ditch, and overcompensated trying to pull it back on the road. I was really hoping noone would ask me to explain that.

And no, we didn't get that rabbit.

No problem. Take care of that back, and save the glass shards for the memories, and a good story telling device if you decide to procreate.

Gahmrious on
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You swerved to hit a rabbit? That's really, super retarded, don't pull that bullshit.

Andorien on
    edited March 2007
    There was actually a bunny on the road, and he swerved to hit it and went into the ditch

Oh comeon, that's fucked up.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2007
    In my defense, I was half asleep in the passenger seat when this occured.

And I think he learned his lesson about the rabbits.

MrBallbaggins on
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    im pretty sure he meant to say swerved to not hit it or to avoid it... my sister use to be a insurance person and she's told me quite a few stories about them critters causing accidents, lately if I see one I just keep going and don't care if i hit it fuck putting mine or someone elses life in danger to avoid an animal.

variant on
    edited March 2007
    No, I meant swerve to hit it. My friends are an odd bunch.

MrBallbaggins on
    edited March 2007
    No, I meant swerve to hit it. My friends are an odd bunch.

Odd bunch? I dont think the word "odd" justifies your friends... Lets see , from what you've told us... your friends drink and drive, drink underage, and attempt to run over rabbits only to flip their own vehicle.

Good group of friends.

Edit: You never said anything about being underage, but by your age in your profile I'd assume your peers are close in age as well.

Gahmrious on
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I'm underage, but the majority of my friends are over 21.

MrBallbaggins on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    3 pieces of advice:
    1. See a flipping doctor. Don't say anything about "I don't have insurance" or whatever, you were in a major vehicle accident which should have killed you, and now have pieces of stuff jammed near your spine. This is not something to mess with.

2. Find a new group of friends who will not actively threaten your life.

3. Stop being a dumbass. I suppose this is partially a corrollary to #2.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Perhaps you squares should stop being so judgemental.

Oden on
    edited March 2007
    Oden wrote: »
    Perhaps you squares should stop being so judgemental.

Who?

Gahmrious on
    edited March 2007
    Everyone saying that this guy should get new friends and calling him a complete retard even after he says he realises and accepts what he did was wrong.

Oden on
    edited March 2007
    Being pissed at what his friend tried to do as well as what he did, I feel no remorse judging him. (The friend) This guy however, was drunk, so he gets a little more slack.

As long as he goes to a doctor, he isn't too stupid.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2007
    He did say in his last sentence...

"Any advice would be appreciated."

So that warrants anything and everything, including what was said above. Totally fair.

Gahmrious on
    edited March 2007
    Calling him a dumbass isn't advice nor is it constructive.

Oden on
    edited March 2007
    Oden wrote:
    Calling him a dumbass while adding helpful advice works though.
    Gahmrious wrote:
    You were in a truck that rolled, and you were covered in shattered glass... Yes, you were wearing a seatbelt but that doesnt mean that your insides can be jarred around a bit more than normal. The glass, yeah I'm sure your body will push it out, but what about the chance of infection if it's not taken care of properly.

Go to the hospital... Also, how did the authorities manage to not find out about this... the truck rolled and made a mess somewhere...

Meh, hopefully your glass wounds turn out okay. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Everyone here may have "ribbed" him, but we also added advice to the guy, unlike you...who just attacked us, while not even giving the guy any advice.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2007

How are you being constructive? You havent given him any shred of advice, you've only attempted to defend him... You're trolling and making a fuss because like everyone else on these boards, the people who commented about the real issue here were honest in their remarks. I gave advice, and I threw in my personal opinion about the guy and his friends. The kid didnt even respond to the name calling because he knows what he did was stupid, you're the only one getting upset here.

Gahmrious on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OP: Not much I can add but yeah, head to the doctor and get that shit checked out. Like soon.

Gahm: Oden never said any of you weren't "honest in your remarks", he said you were all squares and assholes. With the level of understanding you're showing here you'd think none of you had been drunk before.

...and you sigged this? What in the fuck?

How helpful.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    OP: Not much I can add but yeah, head to the doctor and get that shit checked out. Like soon.

Gahm: Oden never said any of you weren't "honest in your remarks", he said you were all squares and assholes. With the level of understanding you're showing here you'd think none of you had been drunk before.

...and you sigged this? What in the fuck?

How helpful.

This board is full of squares and assholes, so no offense taken. I gave advice, I gave my opinion, I sigged for the sake of the terrified rabbit, and yes I've been drunk before.

Gahmrious on
    edited March 2007
    I believe he also said:
    Where other than calling him a dumbass, we also were contructive and offered advice.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Fixed sig for the nay-sayers >_>

Gahmrious on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, for fuck's sake.

I'm tempted to red-card the lot of you, but instead I'll just say either get back on-topic, or shut the fuck up. I think the OP is aware that what he did was stupid, and what his friend did was monumentally stupid. As far as I know, there are only three H/A mods, and we really don't need any meta-mods, so don't do that shit, either.

Choosing to ignore this post would be a really bad idea.

Though, I must say, I found the karmic backlash against your friend mildly amusing (wouldn't have if either of you had been seriously hurt, though).

Thanatos on
    edited March 2007
    Gahmrious: I liked the other sig better, but either way works.

I've got an appointment with the doctor for later today. Thanks to anyone who helped out.

MrBallbaggins on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Get it checked out. Make up some story like the glass was already shattered on the ground and you were horsing around with friends and fell on it if you really want.

As for internal injuries, usually its some neck sprains or abdominal injuries, occaisonally shoulder injuries for people wearing their seatbelt.

I've been to around 6 rollover MVA's as a volunteer firefighter, some with multiple rolls, none were in a speedzone of less than 100km/h (about 60mph). The worst injuries I've seen were minor cuts and sprained limbs for the people wearing their seatbelts, compound fractures and head/neck injuries for the ones that weren't. Luckily I've never had to deal with a fatality and as far as I know none of our patients have ever ended up paralyzed.

Ruckus on