As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    what just happened

Loomdun on
    splat
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    he repainted Tiger into a cartoon character for humorous effect

Tam on
    edited May 2009
    :<

cup.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the panda, but the face looks really flat and disconnected for some reason.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    @loom: no sarcasm involved. avatar.jpg

@d-robe: I agree. The panda;s face does not look right.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited May 2009
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, i've never seen avatar before I thought he was saying it was a obama avatar

Loomdun on
    splat
  • FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ..Id like to eliminate all the digital eventually, but these are very.."editorial" so I highly doubt anyone is going to want to own the original so my incentive for doing so is a bit low.

I'm not 100% sure where your painting ends and the digital takes over, but if these are the results I wouldn't mess with your system. It seems like you have your own style, and in art (any art) that's a big thing.

Honestly, I'd subscribe to a magazine if it used art like this for monthly articles. Of course, the writing would have to be good too..

Fuzz on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ill never make a joke again..
    but seriously. I love that panda. THe texture... the Texture... oh and the reason the face doesnt look right is I think the nose is a little long at the moment Flatten the face a bit.

Leggraphics on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is it intended to have the father look like an ominous, cold, calculating, motherfucker?

If so, you nailed that shit.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2009
    i get a real malicious feel off of it. this illustration feels more suited to an article criticizing traditional roles than advocating it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm guessing the article criticizes the movement rather than actually advocating it themselves.

Fuzz on
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2009
    on that note, good job on it. just looking at it, you can tell that hand lying on her shoulder has come across her face before.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the lack of eyes implies soullessness. So not just stern but a moral or evil. Sternness would be better shown by having the eyes and giving the eyebrows a certain look. While I think that it works in its current form, I feel as if you have taken it too far and demonized the father figure. Unless your publication is radical, and very against this, then it might be a bit too strong? Just my thoughts.

JohnTWM on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I read the thread title as "Women Like Cooking Pandas". I was quite disappointed when I reread the title correctly.

I like the new illustration, but the father's tie pattern reminds me of capsules. I'm sure thats not what you were going for, but a capsule tie would still be pretty cool though.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, that kid is a dead ringer for Walter Kovacs.

Ken I fucking love this stuff, it's got purpose, something that most online art lacks these days.

Mustang on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That dark line along the kid's jawline is flattening his face

RubberAC on
  • t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ken Really digging the pieces, and I like the fact that you leave a certain amount of "sketchiness" too them, it serve as a good compositional tool, liked what you did with the spash of color too. Also, taking a look at the pieces you created on a whole, the sketchiness, the muted pallete's etc... they take on a very ethereal quality that I find very pleasing. Kudos, and keep it up!

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Christian-Wife-web.jpg

For an article about a religious movement advocating a return to more traditional roles.

I love it. nice colour palette
    I hope you dont mind...
    2qwm0yh.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It looks too photoshop soft. I would overlay some kind of subtle grungy texture over and use a smart sharpen filter

PROX on
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
    edited May 2009
    I wouldn't say soft but to hard

smelly.jpg

The way the shades change so suddenly + the fact there isn't any reflective light on the edge at all it makes it look like the boys face is a block rather then a sphere.

Also I drew cat whiskers

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited May 2009
    Christian-Wife-web.jpg

For an article about a religious movement advocating a return to more traditional roles.

I love it. nice colour palette
    I hope you dont mind...
    2qwm0yh.jpg

aw, man. that's great. it took me like four times trying to find the difference between the two because I was looking for a change in regards to the palette.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha, hilarious WCK
    Need to change that "Got Jesus?" to "Me worry?" though.

Mustang on
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    it looks like that cowboy on the horse is suffering from indigestion.

worstcase on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    i really really love these most recent two

they should be hanging in a gallery.
    an awesome gallery.

beavotron on
    edited May 2009
    How long have you been...."arting" i suppose. Your stuff is really nice, especially the colors. Real quick, what brushes do you use?

worstcase on
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
    edited June 2009
    ooo, thankies

worstcase on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So good. I love your stuff. Really love it.

desperaterobots on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dinosaur!

NeoRedXIII on
    edited June 2009
    NeoRedXIII wrote: »
    Dinosaur!

It's the in-depth and thought-driven critiques like these that really keep me coming to the AC.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty good likenesses, but Fergie needs more pee stains. I kid I kid.

But you've done a pretty good job capturing them especially the dude on the bottom and the dude on the right. The girl and the guy on the top seem a little off from what little I know of how they actually look.

I used to love BEP back in the day, but now despise their very existence. The greatness of those monkeys however, puts my mind at ease. Nice colors too.

Also, now that I look at the elephant, his trunk curves back in and makes him kinda look like a skeleton, the way his nostrils appear to be on top of his face. I don't know if that makes much sense.

edit: The image also appears to be a bit tight with everybody squeezed really close to the edges. It seems like a bit more breathing room would be good, especially on the left side. Cutting off the dudes fingers is kinda unfortunate, and the left monkey is too cool to not have more real estate.

earthwormadam on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    boom boom pow

that rules

Projeck on
    edited June 2009
    Something needs to be darkened on the elephant, because as it is right now the very end of his trunk and the beginning of his nose blend together, and it makes it look like he has a michael jackson nose, the black used to indicate inside the nostril feels a little to strong, it might of been better if you used a dark pink instead

edit: but theres nothing that can be done about the black since this is water color is there?

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited May 2015

Kendeathwalker on