As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Six Phalla Samurai - GAME OVER! A victory for spinach and Rock and Roll

TheWolfmanTheWolfman Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Critical Failures
nuclear-bomb-badger.jpg

In 1957, the bomb dropped, and the Russians took over what was America.

The last bastion of freedom became a place called Lost Vegas and Elvis was crowned King.

After forty rockin' years, The King is dead.

Every guitar-picking, sword-swinging opportunist, including Death himself, hears the call echoing across the wastelands.

---

Vegas needs a new King.

TheWolfman on

• delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Summary boldly stolen from the Phalla sign-up list.
    thorgot wrote: »
    This is Critical Failures' Phalla Signup thread. It is for signups for running Phalla games, and discussion of game mechanics. Keep the thread strictly on-topic. Generally, there will be one main Phalla running (with up to two threads), as well as up to three smaller Phallas. You must sign up in this thread to run a major game. No dead threads, and the game will be run in the same threads where the signups take place. This is going to be the system until we start having problems, at which point Thanatos will probably fix those problems in ways that no one will like, so play nice.

What is Phalla?

Phalla is the Penny-Arcade Forums' version of the party game Mafia.

The Basic Rules

The "village" consists of all players in the game. Included in the village is a small number of bad guys. Normally, the bad guys all know one another at the beginning of the game, but nobody else knows anything about anyone other than themselves.

Each day (normally 24-hour period) the village discusses and publically votes for one person to be executed that night. At the same time, the bad guys choose one person to kill each night and PM the name to the narrator.

The good side wins if all of the bad guys die. The bad side wins if the number of good guys is less than or equal to the number of bad guys (on the assumption that at that point, they control the vote plus get their kill, so it's inevitable).

Usually, there will be one or more "special" roles among the good guys (and occasionally among the bad guys). Exactly who holds each role is only known to that person, although how many of each role exist is most often known.

Each night, the narrator gives the details of who died, and normally whether they were a bad guy. Some games also include clues or outright statements if someone who died is a good special.

Living players may not communicate regarding the game with dead players and vice versa, unless there is some specific mechanic in place to do so. In that case, communication normally goes through the narrator. If you are dead and the moderator allows a "goodbye" post, make sure it includes absolutely no information about the game, even if you think the information is obvious. If you receive a PM or see a post breaking this rule, notify the person running the game immediately.

You may not use any anonymous method of communication to discuss the game. Forum-based PMs, external IMs, e-mails and other message boards (like proboards) are allowed as long as the person you are talking to knows who you are. You may not use screencaps to "prove" anything to anyone. Do not speak in code.

Common Variations

Many larger games contain multiple groups of bad guys working at cross-purposes.

At least one game has included a council or single person elected every other night who are able to use a power publically. For example, one game had an elected council able to shift the execution vote to the second person. Another had an elected emperor able to choose a person to kill.

In a small game, the typical size for a group of bad guys is 3, although an individual game may have more, particularly if there is only one group of bad guys in a larger game.

Often, everyone gets a "flavor" role in the game. Bad guys and good specials usually get a normal "villager" role in addition to their special role. This keeps people from using their initial PM to verify someone else's role. The two most common ways to do this are to (a) use the exact same message to everyone, or (b) give everyone a unique villager role.

Special Roles

Roles will have different names depending on the theme of the game. Listed below are the usual "generic" terms for each role. Normally, specials exercise their power by communicating with the narrator via PM. The core roles present in some form in most games are:
    • Seer - once per night can "investigate" a particular person and find out from the narrator if they are a bad guy. Variations of seers may be able to determine a good special as well, although they may be unable to distinguish them from a bad guy.
    • Vigilante - once per night can kill a person of their choosing.
    • Guardian - once per night can protect someone from any death other than execution by the village. Whether they can protect against multiple attacks on one person in the same night is up to the narrator.
    • Masons - a group of two or three good guys who start the game knowing each other and knowing that they are all good.

There are many, many other roles that can be present. The following is a list of some of them:
    • Miller - a villager who appears to be evil when seered. A Death Miller appears to be evil when seered or upon death.
    • Thrall - an evil person who appears to be good when seered. Sometimes revealed to be evil upon death.
    • Bus Driver - once per night chooses two targets. Any powers targeting one instead targets the other, and vice versa.
    • Tracker - once per night may "investigate" someone. Unlike the seer, only finds out if their target used a power that night. Some variations finds out if their target was targeted by someone else, or who their target targeted.
    • Spy - in a game with multiple groups, is a member of two groups. Usually he is really only aligned with one of the groups.
    • Messenger - allowed to send messages to the narrator, which will then be relayed to a single person or during the narration.
    • Jester (Village Idiot)- wins if he is voted out, but loses if he dies for any other reason or if he survives to the end. Rarely used.
    • Survivor - wins if he survives until the end. Usually paired with some other power to make survival easier. Roles which require the player to survive until the end are usually called "neutral."
    • Serial Killer - basically an evil group with one person in it. The SK has a nightly kill and has to kill every single other person, or every other person but one. Often has other powers to make survival easier.
    • Conditional Invincibility (Athan) - a (usually evil) person who is invincible until something happens. The role Athan from the Phalliad is the best known example.
    370581140_8cf061fb69.jpg

Welcome to my phalla based on the film Six String Samurai. Blah blah traditional phalla blah blah some surprises; you will be various rock'n'rollers on their way to Lost Vegas to become the new King following the death of Elvis (or the nefarious characters out to stop that from happening :twisted:). I can accomodate as many players as want to play; the more the merrier. Sign-ups will run through Sunday evening-ish.

The wasteland, however, is not a forgiving place, and each of you has Death hot on your heels, so each night you must !red vote one player to be defeated by Death, his or her pick taken as a trophy.

This game will also feature duelling; duels will be announced in the narration, and you are to !yellow vote one of the two participants to win. Generally, the duelist with the most yellow votes will win the duel.

Kill order is duel->vig->vote, and votes trickle down.

Day One will begin sometime Monday evening (5/18). Clarification requests in orange. Vote will close 11:59pm PST each night, starting on 5/19. PM orders to TheWolfman, your humble narrator.

Minimum activity is two posts and a vote. Inactives will be eaten by the Cannibal Cleavers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnAKwZRbLO8

And for your perusing pleasure:
    Opening narration
    Day One narration
    Day Two narration
    Day Three narration
    Day Four narration
    Day Five narration
    Day Six results
    Day Seven results
    Day Six/Seven narration
    Closing narration

Rock'N'Rollers on their way to Vegas:
    1. Mr. Defecation (Russian Soldier) - defeated by Raakam (11:1) (Day Seven)
    2. MrBlarney (Rock Warrior) - eaten by the Spinach Monster (Day Seven)
    3. enlightenedbum (Pin Pal) - defeated by Raakam (21:0) (Day Five)
    4. Gandalf_the_Crazed (Rock Warrior) - killed by DEATH (Day Six)
    5. iamtheaznman (Rock Warrior) - eaten by the Spinach Monster (Day Five)
    6. Gosling (Rock Warrior) - brutalized by barbarian bubblegum barrage (Day 1.5)
    7. Abysmal Lynx (Rock Warrior) - killed by the Red Army (Day Four)
    8. Raakam
    9. Exarch
    10. Tommy2Hands (El Mariachi) - killed by DEATH (and carnitas) (Day Four)
    11. Sepah (Russian Soldier) - eaten by the Spinach Monster (Day Four)
    12. Nion
    13. Kay (Ritchie) - killed by the Red Army (Day Two)
    14. Lady Eri (Rock Warrior) - defeated by Darian (Day Two)
    15. JaysonFour
    16. abotkin (Rock Warrior) - eaten by the cannibal Cleavers (Day Six)
    17. Orange Soda (Rock Warrior) - killed by DEATH (Day One)
    18. DevoutlyApathetic (DEATH's Archer) - killed by the Pin Pals (Day Two)
    19. El Skid (Windmill Person) - killed by DEATH (Day Seven)
    20. Eipnoom (Rock Warrior) - eaten by the Spinach Monster (Day Six)
    21. kime (Rock Warrior) - killed by the Red Army (Day Three)
    22. Burnage (The Man With No Name) - killed by the Pin Pals (Day One)
    23. Jason Todd - floated away like a little butterfly... just... fluttered away... (Day 1.5)
    24. Dunadan019 (Rock Warrior) - killed by the Red Army (Day One)
    25. Gumpy (Rock Warrior) - killed by the Pin Pals (Day Three)
    26. TheLawinator (Windmill Person) - killed by DEATH's Archers (Day Two)
    27. Whod (Windmill Person) - defeated by Romantic Undead (24:2) (Day Four)
    28. Wildcat (Russian Lieutenant) - defeated by Raakam (27:4) (Day Three)
    29. WilDPanthA05
    30. Typhus733 (Pin Pal) - inevitably defeated by Darian on Day Eight
    31. Delmain
    32. TehSloth (DEATH) - defeated by Romantic Undead (32:1) (Day Three)
    33. Garick
    34. Monkeyfeet (Rock Warrior) - eaten by the cannibal Cleavers (Day Five)
    35. simonwolf (Rock Warrior) - defeated by Romantic Undead (Day Two)
    36. Darian
    37. SkyCaptain (Russian Soldier) - eaten by the Spinach Monster (Day Two)
    38. crimsoncoyote
    39. SpectralSpork (Rock Warrior) - killed by the Pin Pals (Day Six)
    40. Toxic Toys (Rock Warrior) - killed by the Red Army (Day Five)
    41. Romantic Undead (The Samurai) - defeated by Raakam (11:2) (Day Seven)
    42. KrataLightblade (Russian Soldier) - killed by DEATH's Archers (Day One)
    43. lonelyahava (DEATH's Archer) - eaten by the Spinach Monster (Day One)
    44. Arasaki (Russian General) - killed by DEATH (Day Five)
    45. Ardor (Rock Warrior) - killed by the Pin Pals (Day Seven)
    46. Maximus (Pin Pal) - eaten by the cannibal Cleavers (Day Five)
    47. Daius
    48. jdarksun (Mean Kid) - killed by DEATH (Day Three)
    49. Jobastion (DEATH's Archer) - killed by DEATH (Day Two)
    50. JoschuaESQ (Rock Warrior) - eaten by the Spinach Monster (Day Three)
    51. Dac Vin (Rock Warrior) - eaten by the cannibal Cleavers (Day Five)
    52. Nocturne

List of player roles

Do not infer networks based on the group of names on that PM, unless you want me to summon the Spinach Monster with my Rock and Roll magic.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is this based off of sign up

M.D. on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I !sign up (?)

Or shall I wait for permission first?

EDIT:
    What is this based off of sign up

It's based off of the movie Six-String Samurai. Scenario is pretty much like that presented in the OP, though not as serious as you might think.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !sign up so I can go to bed and still get in.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wanna be the guy,
    The Six-String Samurai!

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !Sure

iamtheaznman on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FROM THE DESK OF:
    Gosling

I have come to the conclusion that I cannot trust the village with my participation. Even though I have been a good guy in every single Phalla I have ever played, and have only gained my first non-vanillager, non-mason role two games ago over a Phalla career spanning two years and three months, I am, given personal statistics, at much greater risk of death at the hands of the village than I am of death at the hands of the bad guys.

The very first time I seriously pursue a theory of any kind, I mark myself for death. In my rookie Phalla, I did not seriously pursue anything, as I was still getting used to game mechanics. This was the first and to date only time I have ever survived to the final day of the game. Since then, I have routinely attempted to float theories. On the frequent occasions that I am wrong, the village kills me. On the rare occasions when I am right, the bad guys kill me. Usually I die on Day 3-5, but in the past two games I have died on, respectively, Day 2 and Day 1. Either way, I die far too early for it to be a wise idea to even begin to concern myself with the ultimate fate of the village, because I will be dead long before that fate is to be determined.

Clearly, drastic action is necessary.

I will sign up. However, regardless of my role, I hereby declare two things:

1. Fuck the village. It hasn't done anything for me lately. I am out for myself and myself alone, and will take any action I deem necessary to ensure personal survival. I do not care if I draw a guardian role and the seer outs himself and requires my protection to live. I will guard myself instead because I can no longer trust that I will survive the night, regardless of whether the seer does.
    2. In lieu of offering legitimate advice or even misleading advice should I finally draw the role of bad guy, I hereby declare that I will offer no information of consequence whatsoever for the duration of my tenure in the game. Instead, you will be treated to a gamelong celebration of Dadaism. All votes will be decided via RNG, reverse RNG, Cheez-It contests, or the erasure of Cheez-Its. DADA IS DADA. DADA IS NOT DADA. ADAD IS DADA.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm !in

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, unless I must vote out of self-preservation. Declaration 1 overrides Declaration 2.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited May 2009
    You realize that you're toast unless you convince us that bitter full of hate Gosling is too entertaining to not keep around, right?

enlightenedbum on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Now taking bets on how long until Gosling gets voted out. :P

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited May 2009
    He's a pretty entertaining guy, I'll bet almost anything he survives until late in the game if he makes it past day two. And I think he'll escape the day one kimewagon.

enlightenedbum on
    edited May 2009
    He's a pretty entertaining guy, I'll bet almost anything he survives until late in the game if he makes it past day two. And I think he'll escape the day one kimewagon.
    Last game Lady Eri Day 1 vigged me. That's why I'm here now, because I'm already out of the House game.

Gosling on
    edited May 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Last game Lady Eri Day 1 vigged me. That's why I'm here now, because I'm already out of the House game.

Yeah, I know. I'm shocked no one killed me in that game today. The bacteria are not playing a strong game over there.

enlightenedbum on
    edited May 2009
    You realize that you're toast unless you convince us that bitter full of hate Gosling is too entertaining to not keep around, right?
    You're basically witnessing the logical conclusion to bitter-full-of-hate Gosling's progression. It doesn't get much more bitter than 'Die, you stupid seer, I'm guarding myself out of 2+ years of built-up paranoia' and 'I have a theory but fuck the lot of you MY PANTS ARE MADE OF JELLO'.

Gosling on
    edited May 2009
    You're basically witnessing the logical conclusion to bitter-full-of-hate Gosling's progression. It doesn't get much more bitter than 'Die, you stupid seer, I'm guarding myself out of 2+ years of built-up paranoia' and 'I have a theory but fuck the lot of you MY PANTS ARE MADE OF JELLO'.

Yeah, but you have to be fun to keep around. Or you just become obnoxious like Eri. Or me in the NHL thread in D&D. Which will only get worse if the Wings beat the Blackhawks.

enlightenedbum on
    edited May 2009

Yeah, but you have to be fun to keep around. Or you just become obnoxious like Eri. Or me in the NHL thread in D&D. Which will only get worse if the Wings beat the Blackhawks.
    Hey, nothing else has worked in the past two years.

Gosling on
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Hey, nothing else has worked in the past two years.

I loathe the Red Wings. Utterly despise them. I'm not even signed up and Enlightenedbum.

Oh, why not !Sign Up. Maybe I can kill you myself!

ps: Go Canes.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !In

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Gosling?

Count me in!

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Heya, !Sign up

I am the Ghost of Elvis.

Sepah on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am Bizzaro Elvis

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • NionNion Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !Sign up

Nion on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !Sign up.

You need someone to kill Day 1 that is not Gosling.

Kay2 on
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Lady Eri on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !Sign up

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !Sign up. Sounds like an interesting theme.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !Sign up.

Orange Soda on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

For those of you wondering what the hell this is about....Netflix has it available for instant streaming.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited May 2009
    ....what the hell am I watching?

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ....what the hell am I watching?

:lol:

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    edited May 2009
    Six String Samurai is an AMAZING movie. That's what you're watching.

Kay2 on
    edited May 2009
    It's amazing...and horrible... at the same time.

It's like Rock and Roll had a three way with Fallout and Lone Wolf and Cub and this movie is their glorious love child.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited May 2009
    A friend of mine specialises in awesome bad movies. This is one of the ones he showed me.

Wild Zero, starring japanese J-punk band Guitar Wolf, was another. It's about zombies and aliens and how rock and roll kicks ass.

Kay2 on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !sign up.

I always did like trickle-down mechanics- just allows for a deeper level of strategizing.

El Skid on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Wild Zero, starring japanese J-punk band Guitar Wolf, was another. It's about zombies and aliens and how rock and roll kicks ass.

That is the best damn film.
    Love has no boundaries, nationalities or gender!

Versus, involving gun-wielding zombie yakuza, is also fun. And damn it, Kay, your post has inspired me to !Sign up.

Burnage on
  • EipnoomEipnoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sounds like fun!
    !Sign Up

Eipnoom on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sign up because really, six-string samurai is an awesome and hilarious movie.

Also, Gosling, you made me giggle. If I am the guard, you will survive!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Jason ToddJason Todd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    !I want to play my guitar

Jason Todd on
    filefile.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    That is the best damn film.
    Love has no boundaries, nationalities or gender!

Versus, involving gun-wielding zombie yakuza, is also fun. And damn it, Kay, your post has inspired me to !Sign up.
    And all the way through, I thought she was a pretty girl!

Glad you could make it, Burnage. Let's hope there are many awesome duels to the death, and acoustic numbers around the campfire. Alternately, I want an electric guitar with a katana in it that can cut alien motherships in half.

Kay2 on