As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

An Adventurer is Us! [Kingdom of Loathing]

XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
http://www8.kingdomofloathing.com/login.php?loginid=e809921590284c0e97ef5457ab6ff21a

So, I've never seen a (good) thread about KoL and I decided to change that fact. Well, for the basics , let's turn to my friend and your's, Wikipedia!

"Kingdom of Loathing (KoL) is a humorous, browser-based, multiplayer role playing game, designed and operated by Asymmetric Publications, including creator Zack "Jick" Johnson and writer Josh "Mr. Skullhead" Nite. It is notable for its use of hand-drawn stick figure graphics and writing characterized by surreal humor, word play, parody and references to pop culture. Launched in February 2003, the game has attracted a player base of approximately 120,000 regular users. In KoL, players fight monsters for experience, meat (the game's currency), and items, through a turn-based system. Players also interact with each other through player versus player competition, participate in the in-game economy by trading goods and services, and organize themselves into clans, and speak to each other in many different chat channels."

Sound fun? It is. There are 6 classes in the game. 2 based on each stat. Muscle, Mysticality, and Moxie. To find out what they are we once more turn to Wikipedia.

"Seal Clubber
Seal Clubbers are a muscle-based offensive class, with skills that expand their fighting style, increasing damage as well as defenses. They have access to skills which allow them to craft weapons and pulverize items into elemental components, which then can be smithed into other equipment.

Turtle Tamer
Turtle Tamers are a muscle-based defensive class, with combat abilities that depend on and enhance their armor. They can learn to craft armor and cast a number of defensive and familiar-enhancing buffs.

Pastamancer
Pastamancers are a mysticality-based crafting/spellcasting class with the ability to summon and cook noodles, making some of the best foods in the game. They can also learn combat and healing spells.

Sauceror
Saucerors are mystical spellcasters who can cook potions and sauces, ingredients of powerful noodle dishes. They can also create saucespheres, shield buffs which can damage enemies, restore health and bestow other effects. They have offensive combat spells and passive skills which increase spell damage.

Disco Bandit
Disco Bandits are a moxie-based class with high evasion and the skills to make advanced cocktails, highly potent booze. They also have combat abilities which weaken their enemies and looting skills which increase item and meat drops. They, along with Accordion Thieves, can pickpocket enemies to steal their items, including some items that can only be obtained from pickpocketing.

Accordion Thief
Accordion Thieves are a moxie-based class whose music can provide a wide variety of buffs to themselves as well as other players. In fact, all but one of their skills are buffs, providing a wide array of enhancements such as increased damage, improved stats, or drop rate increases. Their mortal enemies include mariachis. Like Disco Bandits, they have the ability to pickpocket enemies."

There are also Clans that can give you bonuses and Meat(Money) depending on the items they have.

That's the gist of it. Now sign up! I havn't made a clan yet because I wanted to see what you guys wanted for the name and Credo(Motto).

Right now I'm a Disco bandit named Xtarath but I did have a high level Pastamancer.

Xtarath on

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am currently playing this! Just accended for the first time and am now a Disco Bandit in Hardcore. Name is WillBedlam.

This was kind of big in G&T chat thread a while back and was wondering if anyone still played? If not send me some meat from your dead accounts :P

Bedlam on
  • AsharaxxAsharaxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've got a big history with this game, but recently I burnt myself out after spending time nearly every single day getting a lucre for the 200-coin Tome. And only one lucre a day, so...

I've been interested in the Hobopolis stuff but never looked to find any Clans that work on it.

Asharaxx on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think PA has a clan but im not sure if its active or not.

They dont seem to have many rewards.

And yeah lucring isnt the greatest but I guess getting the tome is super worth it for speeding up accention runs if thats your thing. At least there are plenty of options so you can hopefully adventure somewhere you would go anyway.

Bedlam on
  • ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember playing this back in Jr. High, and apparently my friend played it on such a constant basis he's a mod on the forums now. D: I love the humor that comes from KoL.

Also, Asharaxx, awesome ava/sig.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Best browser game ever, ever. I have a level 15 sauceror with 2 ascentions under his belt.

EDIT: I think one of the greatest parts of this game is that you have to past the test at the Alter of Literacy in order to use the ingame chat.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I quit playing a while back, but the Greasemonkey scripts I wrote to help with the game are all still available.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This game is oddly addictive. I am a young turtle tamer running around in a goblin chef's clothes throwing turtles at things.

Wow I just got into the hidden temple in the woods and gained like 3 levels in 2 minutes.

pantsy on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, the hidden temple is great for lowbies.

Man, I'm gonna try a HC oxy run next. I expect it to take a year or so to finish.

MegaMek on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »

Man, I'm gonna try a HC oxy run next. I expect it to take a year or so to finish.

Probably closer to 20-30 days. Well, depends on what skills you have permed, any non-standard familiars you have, etc. But 20 or 25 days was what it took me back when ascension was first introduced and I decided to make my first HC run an Oxy seal clubber after having only played a disco bandit. While runs took less time back then, I was also totally clueless and had no skills permed.

Having the Feast of Boris pop up during that run made us first generation oxys collectively cry.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited May 2009
    So is there any prohibition to halving multiple characters per IP address? I'd like to get more KoL'ing in each day. I'm guessing they frown on using a character to buff/rush another.

pantsy on
    edited May 2009
    pantsy wrote: »
    So is there any prohibition to halving multiple characters per IP address? I'd like to get more KoL'ing in each day. I'm guessing they frown on using a character to buff/rush another.

I'm not sure if they do anything unless you're sending meat and items back and forth so I have no idea about buffing. There are plenty of cheap buffbots various clans make available in any case so no point in risking it. The basic approach when last I checked is that multiple characters are fine as long as they don't interact with each other.

After a few ascensions, you'll likely get plenty of turns per day in. Once a character gets the skills to make the really good drinks and food, turns can come pouring in. Until then, a lot of people do trivia contests and other stuff in the /games chat channel. And if you start a store in the mall and know how to buy low and sell high, you'll spend a lot of time as some fantasy commodities investor.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    edited May 2009
    And so the Bat King has fallen. Someone gave me a chocobo or whatever for a familiar, pretty nice.

pantsy on
    edited May 2009
    pantsy wrote: »
    And so the Bat King has fallen. Someone gave me a chocobo or whatever for a familiar, pretty nice.

You'll likely rotate through three main types of familiars as the need arises.

A combat familiar like the chocobo can make things easier. A stat gaining familiar like the bloody faced volleyball helps you level faster and is generally the default choice. And an item drop familiar like the baby gravy fairy if you're after specific items. Most of the familiars in the game are combat familiars so it's choosing which one suits you best.

Better options for these are available after your first run through or with enough currency, for instance item drop familiars that also are combat familiars.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I remember playing this yeeeeaaarrrrs ago. crafting, what?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have been playing this for a couple weeks now as a Seal Clubber. Kind of enjoying myself for the few minutes a day it takes me to use my adventures up.

Been thinking about trying some of the other classes out now that I am starting to get an understanding for the game.

Seg on
    edited May 2009

I already did my 6 runs. Took so damn long. Never again.

Asharaxx on
    edited May 2009
    apparently the game does not want to send me an authorization code

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    I have been playing this for a couple weeks now as a Seal Clubber. Kind of enjoying myself for the few minutes a day it takes me to use my adventures up.

Been thinking about trying some of the other classes out now that I am starting to get an understanding for the game.

You can kind of divide the classes into those that rely on passive abilities vs. buffs as well as the different primary stats.

Muscle classes are pretty much about lots of hit points and smacking stuff with melee weapons. Seal clubbers have passives that boost damage, turtle tamers have buffs that generally boost defense (and some really good passives that boost defense too).

Moxie classes dodge stuff and attack with ranged weapons. Since moxie is also the default stat for decreasing damage taken (TTs have a level 14 skill that changes that to muscle if you're using a shield), they also take less damage when they are hit (though they don't have as many hp as muscle classes). Downside is that they don't do as much damage as a muscle class so you have more chance of fumbling an attack or being critically hit. Accordian thieves have a lot of buffs, disco bandits have a lot of passives (some of the most useful in the game since they boost item drop rate, initiative, etc.). DB combat skills are almost all about lowering the level of the victim (meaning they do less damage and whiff more) and also have the cocktailcrafting skills.

Mysticality classes are mages and probably the toughest to play. Saucerors buff and blow stuff up with spells, Pastamancers blow stuff up but have some useful self-buffs too. Pastamancers have the pasta cooking skills, saucerors have the sauce (ie, potion) cooking skills. The two combine to make even better food.

Something else worth noting is that the 3 non-buff focused classes are the three that get healing skills, though as a Muscle class Turtle Tamers can buy medicinal herbs from the class store.

Disco bandit, accordian thief, and seal clubber are probably the easiest classes to start with.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
    edited May 2009
    Why oh why must I spend all day pining for more adventures? I would buy a game like this. Its like an awesome, hilarious text adventure.

pantsy on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know, this reminds me that I've got this postcard from GenCon from last year for KoL, with a code on it for something. I've got no bloody clue what it's for, though.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited May 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »
    You know, this reminds me that I've got this postcard from GenCon from last year for KoL, with a code on it for something. I've got no bloody clue what it's for, though.

A quick search yields this promotional item: http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Junior_Adventurer%27s_kit

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    This game is great and if you frequent /normal there's a decent chance you'll see me in there bitching about how much chat sucks compared to the good ol' days

Or cursing out NS13 (I started playing back when it was still at 11)

Me Too! on
    edited May 2009

Probably closer to 20-30 days. Well, depends on what skills you have permed, any non-standard familiars you have, etc. But 20 or 25 days was what it took me back when ascension was first introduced and I decided to make my first HC run an Oxy seal clubber after having only played a disco bandit. While runs took less time back then, I was also totally clueless and had no skills permed.

Having the Feast of Boris pop up during that run made us first generation oxys collectively cry.
    I'm not that good, and I'm not that lucky. A normal run takes me months, tho' mostly because I don't play every day. I wouldn't be able to find all the neccessary items in one month.

And the only HC skill I have is Amphybian Sympathy.
    Asharaxx wrote: »

I don't think I can handle 6 o_O

MegaMek on
    edited May 2009
    stupid goofballs

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Just keep buying more! You never have to suffer withdrawal!

Three months later, stumbling into a local bar, covered in piss and vomit: "I have invented a new phrase; Slippery Slope"

MegaMek on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

I'm not that good, and I'm not that lucky. A normal run takes me months, tho' mostly because I don't play every day. I wouldn't be able to find all the neccessary items in one month.

One for each Stainless item

Now I challenge you to do 6 Oxycore runs in a row for the plastic

AND THEN SIX BAD MOON

Me Too! on
    edited May 2009
    That would be a nice way to spend the rest of eternity.

MegaMek on
    edited May 2009

It's not unheard of for HCO players to only play every few days. Not like you're wasting days of eating and drinking after all.

Though more skills would make things less annoying.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
    edited May 2009
    By the way, what are some good HC skills? I figured that having a stronger familliar would help, and I'm thinking maybe Torso Awaregnes might be nice. Or maybe the dual-wield skill.

MegaMek on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Combat skills are nice, it'd probably be helpful for you if you were to look up what the current "best' skills are. The last time I checked, Sauce spells were getting popular.

Nerdgasmic on
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

It's not unheard of for HCO players to only play every few days. Not like you're wasting days of eating and drinking after all.

Though more skills would make things less annoying.

'Serious' HCO players still play every day if they can since they will be rolling with the green pixie and chugging 3-5 not-a-pipe's a day. Speaking as someone who has a green pixie and now a full Plexiglass set. Bad Moon IMO is more fun for a casual player. You don't need any special gear since you always start as a clean slate and its a bit faster than an HCO run.

Good perms are those that allow you to get more turns, increase item gains, buff your pet, and heal. Combat skills aren't as useful cross class, so unless you rigidly adhere to one class, I wouldn't recomend them. If you are going normal HC, I'd go something like the following for perm order;

* Pulverize
    * Pastamancery
    * Advanced Cocktailcrafting (these three round out your ability to max turns from all available sources, spleen/hunger/drunkeness)
    * Advanced Saucecrafting
    * Torso Awarigness (need moxie zodiac)
    * Amphibian Sympathy ('free' +5lbs is nice)
    * Mad Looting Skills
    * Powers of Observatiogn (need moxie zodiac)
    * Cannelloni Cocoon
    * Leash of Linguini
    * Empathy of the Newt

Probably Armorcrafting and Advanced Meatsmithing somewhere along the line as well. I like them at least.

Saammiel on
    edited May 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »
    'Serious' HCO players still play every day if they can since they will be rolling with the green pixie and chugging 3-5 not-a-pipe's a day.

Yes, that is one of the complaints among the speed crowd now. But some still like the lower pressure approach from what I've gathered.
    Good perms are those that allow you to get more turns, increase item gains, buff your pet, and heal. Combat skills aren't as useful cross class, so unless you rigidly adhere to one class, I wouldn't recomend them.

Entangling noodles being an exception. That one is good for everyone. Downside is having to do a pastamancer run for it if you don't like spellslinging.
    * Torso Awarigness (need moxie zodiac)

Do shirt giving non-combat adventures still take turns? I remember a common complaint about this skill was that you started loosing turns for items you weren't going to use.
    Probably Armorcrafting and Advanced Meatsmithing somewhere along the line as well. I like them at least.

These are highly debatable. Some like them, some don't. There are only going to be a few times in a run you'll likely smith something even with them.
    MegaMek wrote:
    By the way, what are some good HC skills? I figured that having a stronger familliar would help, and I'm thinking maybe Torso Awaregnes might be nice. Or maybe the dual-wield skill

The biggest ones are pastamancering, advancted saucecrafting (to make reagent pastas together, plus buff potions when needed), advanced cocktailcrafting (to make better drinks), and superhuman cocktailcrafting (even if you can't use the still as a non-moxie class, it lets you make drink garnishes 5 times a day instead of only 3).

Pulverize is pretty high up there for some as well since wads also can grant more turns.

Moving beyond the turn making skills, amphibian sympathy is a big one since it both speeds up the early part of a run and still helps out at the end of one. Mad looting skills is another big one for item drop boosts. Leash of linguine is popular as well, though there's some debate on how useful it really is.

Once those are done, the next big ones depend on what play style you like the best. Muscle classes will want hero of the half shell, shield butt, and entangling noodles, spellslingers will want skills to make that easier, etc.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
    edited May 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

One for each Stainless item

Now I challenge you to do 6 Oxycore runs in a row for the plastic

AND THEN SIX BAD MOON
    Nono, what I meant was that I've done my 6 Oxycore runs. I'm going on something like my 49th ascension, all HC.

Haven't shot for Bad Moon yet, the idea of an HC run with no 10 turn Empathy/songs sounds... infurating.

Asharaxx on
    edited May 2009

These are highly debatable. Some like them, some don't. There are only going to be a few times in a run you'll likely smith something even with them.

They are probably going to have a positive payoff if you are doing a non-vanilla HC run. Donno about normal HC. Chrome Sword -> Sword Behind Inappropriate Prepositions has a relatively fast payoff. 3 turns to craft, plus maybe 3-4 turns to get the ore and it gives 5 a day.

On the armorcrafting side of things, you payoff its crafting cost off the bat from the Tuxedo shirt as long as you make some martini type drinks. Plus a +7 moxie shirt isn't too bad.

Hipposkin Poncho is good too as long as you can swing the +10 ML addition. That is 2.5 stats/turn.

They aren't top tier skills though, no.
    Do shirt giving non-combat adventures still take turns? I remember a common complaint about this skill was that you started loosing turns for items you weren't going to use.

Yeah, which sort of sucks, but I think the martini bonus will more than make up for it over the course of a run. There aren't that many shirt adventures IIRC.

Saammiel on
    edited May 2009
    Someone mentioned those pipe things, the spleen item that gives you adventures. Where do you find those? I got some somewhere... They were pretty awesome.

MegaMek on
    edited May 2009
    It comes from a moderately complicated function of an Item of the Month familiar from June of 06 or 07.

This means that you'll have little chance at finding for one for a reasonable price.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited May 2009
    I see. So how does one get extra adventures on oxycore runs? Besides wads.

MegaMek on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's 2 familiars, both June items-of-the-month, that drop spleen/adventure items.
    Pixie and Llama.
    Speculation is that this June there'll be another one.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited May 2009
    I think the Llama familiar also has a feature that provides Oxy adventures, but that was an IotM from some time ago as well.

There's also the Riftlet familiar, which is even older (but not as popular) than the other two, that occasionally gives you extra adventures as well as acts as a barnacle-potato.

I would say that, without any of these and wads (It's near impossible to find regularly waddable items until the higher levels anyway), your best bet would be to find those items that give you extra adventures at rollover.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah Llama gives spleen items too. It has some interesting items aside from just the spleen feathers too. Wish I had bought one last year, but alas.

Saammiel on