As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HUNT ON] Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - Keep on Huntin'

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, I have to figure out how to squeeze this to fit as a background for my PSP.

Also, gotta sit down and power through the stupid training quests. Ugh, I don't know why, but they infuriate me.
    :O That's every single monster in Monster Hunter, scaled to actual size! The cats are hilarious.

Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming Monster Hunter Freedom Unite demo coming out?

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Oh man, I have to figure out how to squeeze this to fit as a background for my PSP.

Also, gotta sit down and power through the stupid training quests. Ugh, I don't know why, but they infuriate me.
    :O That's every single monster in Monster Hunter, scaled to actual size! The cats are hilarious.

Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming Monster Hunter Freedom Unite demo coming out?

That image is amazing. All I know about the demo is that it is coming in June.

corin7 on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    corin7 wrote: »

If that image were normal wallpaper size I'd use it right now.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2009
    corin7 wrote: »

If that image were normal wallpaper size I'd use it right now.
    For the first time in many years, I've changed my wallpaper to the above pic, except that I reduced the size to fit two monitors and added the blue slate "Now Loading" screen as a backdrop to it (since it would fill 3-4 normal monitors easily). It is truly epic.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    edited May 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Soo much awesome. I can't wait.

corin7 on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok,I got myself a complete Giaprey Armor set, with 4 parts fully improved, an Assassin's Dagger and an Iron Katana "Grace". Also a lot of other stuff and basically endless money by planting/selling power seeds.

Now the questions remains: Will I now break "the wall" AKA Yian Kut-Ku or will I smash my PSP in rage?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited May 2009
    OMG I did it! I killed the Yian Kut-Ku in 6 minutes!

I NEVER beat this fucker on PS2 and now I totally dominated him. Used 3 flashbombs, cut him up nicely, then he fled to his lair. I let him fall asleep,planted a stun trap, woke him with a paintball and then SLASH SLASH SLASH down he goes!

So awesome :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Ok,I got myself a complete Giaprey Armor set, with 4 parts fully improved, an Assassin's Dagger and an Iron Katana "Grace". Also a lot of other stuff and basically endless money by planting/selling power seeds.

Now the questions remains: Will I now break "the wall" AKA Yian Kut-Ku or will I smash my PSP in rage?

As long as you learn/remember his attack patterns, and go in accordingly, you should be fine. Giaprey Armor doesn't really have alot of useful skills against Kut-Ku, but the defense alone over the starter armors should come in handy. Just smash his face up real good (and hope for ears) and you should be fine.

My question of the moment is: Why does crimson/white fatalis hate me so? I mean, aside from repeatedly shooting 'em in the face. And placing fun little bombs in their path. And well, killing 'em. All that work, and the bulk of my rewards/carves are regular fatalis parts and crappy scales?! I'm so short on the important parts, I'm not getting much accomplished at all. :cry:

edit: Congrats on the kill! Damn, that was fast!

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited May 2009
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49241.html
    Glimpses of:

New monsters.
    New weapon type, the Slash Axe
    Hotness

Renzo on
    edited May 2009
    So I've been farming the Kut-Ku, killed like 6 of them and have all Kut-Ku Armor Items I can make (Is there no helmet?). I'm now continuing doing the 2 star missions, next up is Bulldrome, who I guess ist just a big Bullfango?

I wonder what my next Wyvern is going to be.

MH Tri: Looks great and might even get me to buy a Wii for it sometime in the future.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Kut-Ku's got a helmet. Most likely you're missing Kut Ku Ears, so it hasn't appeared on the list of armors yet. Make sure you break his face real good and hope for the best.

Your next big target will probably be something like gypceros, khezu, or maybe a blangonga.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • redlupinredlupin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Any word if Capcom will leave out any monsters in the upcoming MHF: Unite or MH3? I do remember the Japanese version of MHF2 having a strange looking octopus/starfish thing that did not make it to the states.

redlupin on
    edited May 2009
    redlupin wrote: »
    Any word if Capcom will leave out any monsters in the upcoming MHF: Unite or MH3? I do remember the Japanese version of MHF2 having a strange looking octopus/starfish thing that did not make it to the states.

I think you're misinformed. Yamatsukami was in MH2 (PS2), skipped MHF2, and will appear in MHFU.

Unite should have pretty much everything. It's a best-of/reunion tour/whatever.

3 has already shown that they're removing weapons and introducing a lot of new monsters. I wouldn't be surprised if several monsters from previous iterations don't make it in.

Renzo on
    edited May 2009
    16hours in and just got my full kut-ku armor.

I guess I'm taking it slow :D

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There hasn't been any precedent of them removing monsters before, but with MH3 and it's current trailers it seems like a real possibility. The amount of monsters is now past the saturation point, so I'm ok with it since they'll be replaced with new hotness. I for one am sick and tired of kutku/gyp/bas/grav/khezu and friends.

Mugaaz on
    edited May 2009
    If they only get rid of Plesioth I'll be a happy man.

Renzo on
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Youll be pleased to hear of Lavasioth in MHU =/

Mugaaz on
    edited May 2009
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    Youll be pleased to hear of Lavasioth in MHU =/

I've resigned myself to a lava-splashed, fishy fate.

Renzo on
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hallo dudes. I haven't posted here yet, but I'm been playing MHF2 on an off for a while now.

I just started up again, and I'm in the 4 star elder quests, and I have full cenataur armor, but was wondering what I should go for in terms of ranged armor. I'm a pretty huge fan of pierce shot, so I was considering trying to farm some Remobra stuff. Any other suggestions for a decent mid-game ranged armor?

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
    edited May 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    16hours in and just got my full kut-ku armor.

I guess I'm taking it slow :D

Anytime you decided to farm for a full set it is going to take a while. You don't want to know how long it took me to get my Rathalos Soul U.

corin7 on
    edited May 2009
    Hallo dudes. I haven't posted here yet, but I'm been playing MHF2 on an off for a while now.

I just started up again, and I'm in the 4 star elder quests, and I have full cenataur armor, but was wondering what I should go for in terms of ranged armor. I'm a pretty huge fan of pierce shot, so I was considering trying to farm some Remobra stuff. Any other suggestions for a decent mid-game ranged armor?

Ranged bow or ranged bowgun? I would say a Death Stench set might be fun for Speed Fire on bows (charges faster), but would be situational at best for bowguns (no need to reload, but the recoil gets ramped up to ridiculous levels). Something like a Garuga set might be okay for general use (earplugs in case you get too close, reckless abandon). If you're comfortable enough with it, you could also go for a Monoblos/Monodevil set for the Adrenaline +2. Though it's a bit scary to run around with the reduced hit points needed to activate the skill, it's got a huge attack bonus that people love to cheese stuff with. Couple that with Felyne Heroics, and it's ridiculously cheap to kill stuff with (provided you don't get hit. :P)

Bottom line is, you'll probably want a bunch of armors, for different situations. Though if you can get by with one set for awhile, and wait until endgame to really start collecting armors, that would work too. You'll most likely be replacing all those sets with the usually superior S and U versions once you get high enough.

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited May 2009
    Bowgun.

I'm also trying to decide if the Remobra poison lance thing is worth it.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
  • redlupinredlupin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    redlupin wrote: »

I think you're misinformed. Yamatsukami was in MH2 (PS2), skipped MHF2, and will appear in MHFU.

Unite should have pretty much everything. It's a best-of/reunion tour/whatever.

3 has already shown that they're removing weapons and introducing a lot of new monsters. I wouldn't be surprised if several monsters from previous iterations don't make it in.

Ah yes you are right, my mistake. Its good to hear that all the monsters will be coming out this time, this just means it will take much longer to beat the game and 10X longer to get the specific armor or weapons you need :D AWESOME!!!

redlupin on
    edited May 2009
    Bowgun.

Ah, then speed fire would definitely be something situational at best. The recoil increase makes you pretty much a sitting duck when using crag/cluster shots. I think the other sets might be okay to have though. Oh, another set with a decent skill is obituary/butterfly. Evade +2 is a great skill to have when you have no blocking capabilities.

Bowguns are one of my weakest weapon styles, but I think it's time to start experimenting with it now that I've got some decent bowguns and armors.
    I'm also trying to decide if the Remobra poison lance thing is worth it.

It's....okay. Other than remobra skulls, it's not too hard to upgrade; a weapon that you can get fairly early on that is pretty good. I think the poison lance in the gravios line is a bit better for raw, but the remobra lance definitely has the edge in poison. It's the only poison lance with + affinity as well, and I'm a sucker for landing crits.

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited May 2009
    So we finally have got to the point where we survive the entire time allotment against the high rank black gravious but we aren't doing enough dmg. So its back to farming so we can both get a daimo warbow iv, apparrently water bows make short work of him. Good lord what a time sink this fucker has been.

Also place a pre order for Unite... little over a month bitches!

corin7 on
    edited May 2009
    If you can sneak some bombs on him, it's another way to crack the belly of a gravios pretty well. He'll take a good amount of damage once that shell is gone. Make sure to make your pierce shots count as well; he's big enough that the arrow can do good damage going through him. I think black grav also doesn't respond to poison very well. Don't forget to bring some poison coatings.

The only crap thing about bowing grav is not getting the tail cut. I mean, I guess you could bow melee him, but ugh. And if you think he's a time sink now, wait 'til you're farming brainstems from him. :x (when you get to that point, I'd recommend just getting a carving armor set, then going on tail runs)

I was holding out on pre-orders hoping for some swag to be offered, but since nothing's been announced, I should just order. Dang, I got a month to finish F2!

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited May 2009
    Another question: I've been sort of "specializing" in Horn, DS, and Bowguns, and my roommate has been going SnS, Bow, and Longsword.

The game seems a lot easier for him. Haha. I'm sticking to my guns though (no pun intended) and can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a good bowgun? I know about shell choices and stuff, but should I really just be looking for crag/cluster for wyvern fights? I've been having a good time with pierceshots as well.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    edited May 2009
    Another question: I've been sort of "specializing" in Horn, DS, and Bowguns, and my roommate has been going SnS, Bow, and Longsword.

The game seems a lot easier for him. Haha. I'm sticking to my guns though (no pun intended) and can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a good bowgun? I know about shell choices and stuff, but should I really just be looking for crag/cluster for wyvern fights? I've been having a good time with pierceshots as well.

I think as the game progresses, what may seem to be the "easier" weapon type changes. Mind you, all weapons are perfectly viable if you're willing to put in the effort, but stuff like longswords seemed pretty easy button to me at the start. By endgame, while I still use longswords, I find that branching out to the other types depending on the situation, makes things much easier and fun.

Another part of the problem is that early dual swords kind of, well, stink. Access to different elemental types is low, damage is pretty weak, sharpness is maybe some greeen if lucky. But man, I absolutely love wrecking stuff with the endgame duals. Same goes for certain weapon classes; the beginning lines seem weaker, but they start to shine once the upgraded versions kick in.

As for bowguns, I think someone more versed in the weapon will give better insight, but I think it is again a situational thing. Some monsters can be more vulnerable to different weapon types/elements/shot; it's mostly learning what works best on the particular target. Cluster would be good for something that moves slow enough for the bomblets to hit, but would be less effective if they moved before the split bombs explode. Pierce is nice if your target has multiple hitzones for the pierce to really work its magic, but you're not getting your mileage out of it on "short" monsters. Etc etc. Hopefully a bowgun expert will chime in and correct all my misconceptions. :P

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited May 2009
    I haven't touched a bowgun since the tutorial. I should probably mess around with one again soon. Horn is incredibly powerful at times and the more people you are playing with the more the buffs help. I would love to see three bow users and a horn user go to town on something. Having your stamina never run out makes for fun times with a bow.

corin7 on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quick question: With the next PSP Monster Hunter coming out, are we going to be able to import our characters over, or will we be having to start fresh? I was considering making a melee character, but it's rather pointless if I'll have to start over anyways in a month or so.

yalborap on
    edited May 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Quick question: With the next PSP Monster Hunter coming out, are we going to be able to import our characters over, or will we be having to start fresh? I was considering making a melee character, but it's rather pointless if I'll have to start over anyways in a month or so.
    Your Monster Hunter Freedom 2 character can be imported into Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, by all indications thus far. Monster Hunter Portable 2 characters are directly imported into Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, with all gear. The only thing you lose is training record scores (which are invalidated anyway since you get better gear in training and more training missions).

If you've been playing a Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G character, it probably won't be long before those saves can be translated from the Japanese to English version (Unite), as well, since they are the same game. This may be necessary to get some of the downloadable equipments, anyway, if past support (or lack thereof) is any indication.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think I'm a little behind here, so forgive my ignorance.

What games are coming up soon, and for which systems? I heard PSP, I heard Wii... I've tried the first PSP game but didn't like it too much, even though it sounds like something I should like- so I was wondering about giving it another shot.

ringswraith on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

What games are coming up soon, and for which systems? I heard PSP, I heard Wii... I've tried the first PSP game but didn't like it too much, even though it sounds like something I should like- so I was wondering about giving it another shot.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is coming out (very very soon) for the PSP, and Monster Hunter 3 (tri) is coming out for the Wii... erm... eventually... probably. Quite possibly even this year.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dyvion wrote: »

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is coming out (very very soon) for the PSP, and Monster Hunter 3 (tri) is coming out for the Wii... erm... eventually... probably. Quite possibly even this year.

Thanks, Dyvion.

Would you mind elaborating on what the differences are with these two?

ringswraith on
    edited May 2009
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (MH Portable 2nd G in Japan) is basically the ultimate version of Monster Hunter 2. There have been multiple versions of 2 on the PS2 and PSP, but this is the last and most comprehensive version. For PSP only.

MH3(tri) is the first iteration of the 3rd Monster Hunter game. It looks to start fresh on a couple fronts, mostly weapons and monsters. Several weapon types from the 2 series are missing, and though a few monsters return from 1 and 2, it looks like the addition of several new monsters will probably take the place of some of the old favorites (or not-so favorites). The addition of underwater exploration and combat is completely new for the series, and gives a good idea of the direction the series is going with 3. New experiences, not necessarily more of the same. Announced for the Wii.

Renzo on
    edited May 2009
    I'll admit, I'm sad about bows going away. :(

yalborap on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (MH Portable 2nd G in Japan) is basically the ultimate version of Monster Hunter 2. There have been multiple versions of 2 on the PS2 and PSP, but this is the last and most comprehensive version. For PSP only.

I wouldn't call it that without the multiple goals mission structure, the day/night + 3-seasons feature, and monster bounties. Really, these are so awesome because they make the exact same mission different each time, let you earn 3x the rewards in one go, and provided ample money without making everything dirt-cheap.

I really, really hope these make it into MH3; I'm pretty certain that once you've all tasted of these, none one you will want to go back.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    edited May 2009
    I just beat the Tigrex for the first time by mashing his face into the end of my Khezu Horn.

It felt REALLY good once I finally figured out the tactic.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    edited May 2009
    So, I busted up the weak little giadrome with my new melee character. While I was in the middle of carving, my PSP decides to die. Not forcefully go into sleep mode, turn the fuck off.

I am...Perturbed. :x Anyone have a spare battery for an original PSP they'd be willing to give up for a Hunter in need? Bonus points if you have an old charger laying around too, since I think this third party USB charger broke my battery.

yalborap on