As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Glazed Doughnuts the Comic...

BadsaltBadsalt Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Artist's Corner
I know the actual Art on Glazed Doughnuts is pretty near terrible, so I'm not expecting loving critiques back on that. In fact, I pretty much expect to get "face smashed." However, it still is a comic, and still is fun to do, and hopefully the writing is up to some kind of definition of "par." Maybe not.

Aside from that there is an open offer on the Glazed Doughnuts project for the "fans." Not that a new webcomic site has any fans...point of the story, anyone that has a nerd/geek idea that is funny can go ahead and either A) send is those ideas (we'll give credit in the copyright.) or B) actually draw and write a comic. Just a way to get people who don't have their own sites involved and having a good time.

I know that few will probably take us up on that offer for now, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Anyway, new Glazed Doughnuts just went up. Hope you enjoy/understand.

-D

gd0003.png

DCbanner468.jpg
Two webcomics for the price of one. Let the hilarity ensue.
Badsalt on

• Options
    AlienMastermindAlienMastermind Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1. Please put the comic in the thread. :(

2. A suggestion, which may help; have a Q and A type strip, where you answer 'viewer mail' or somesuch.

AlienMastermind on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I tried, I'm going to erase the thread until I can grab the image. It was supposed to be right under it.

Badsalt on
    DCbanner468.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Welcome, we look forward to smashing your face with crits... but you must first embed the comic to the thread or risk having your face smashed by a lock.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Or not 'cause there's no erase function oh good. Here, I think/ hope this works this time.
    gd0007.png

Badsalt on
    DCbanner468.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yey, it worked! I had an "s" somewhere where no "S" belonged. Damn "s's."

Badsalt on
    DCbanner468.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay brace yourself.....are you braced? Okay, let us proceed. This is really quite bad, the art is bad and the jokes are bad, there are no redeemable qualities within this comic. Now I know that stings, but I also know that you haven't tried even remotely hard, you just assumed that drawing comics was easy, you know how to draw and write stuff right? Well, you do know how to draw and write, you just don't know how to do it very well. This shit takes years and years of practice, Gabe has been drawing since he was 16 and most of his early stuff still sucked.

I could say this is great to make you feel good, but it wouldn't be doing you any good. So here's what you should be thinking about doing. Grab yourself a sketch book and practice practice practice, life studies, ref studies, construction etc. Get yourself a good art book, or download the loomis books for free in the Q&D thread. If there's one thing I've learnt in my 32 years, it's that nothing comes easy ever, if you want to be good at something you have to want to really work at it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like it.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Can I ask, how old are you?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm 23 now. I've never used photoshop or illustrator, and only even picked up drawing within the past month. It's a lot harder than it looks from the outside. However, I enjoy it so I pick it up. We do another comic on the website called "Darwin's Cookie" which I only write. And the art varies there, sometimes it's great sometimes its bad. However now it's doing alot better, this week is a brand new style. Looking forward to it.

Badsalt on
    DCbanner468.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cool! Welcome to the world of drawing! Remember, Photoshop and Illustrator are only tools and you'll be as good on them as you are with a pencil and paper. I'm gonna second Mustang on his get a sketchbook and draw advice. I don't draw as much or as well as other people in these boards, but I testify that the more you improve on paper, the better you'll be digitally.

Do you have any sketch books? We'd love to see them.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Past month? Drop the comics, drop the color. You aren't ready. Listen to Mustang.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's like me saying "i just started running last month" as i'm attempting a marathon.
    You're in over your head. Get the basics of drawing first before attempting a comic. While drawing keep a book for ideas and whatnot for comics that way when you're ready to draw at an advanced level you'll have material. Clearly these "jokes" are topical, so you can revisit them in 6 months or a year or 5.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also peep this thread. this is the progress of a noob to art started in 02 i believe. Look at him now. Progress can be slow but as this guy shows it happens.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=870

NakedZergling on