As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] December Update Patch notes. 1up press interview. KWEH!!?!?!1one

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Get level 11 first.

Yes, everything is much much tougher in the dunes, but that is what you want. The exp system divides up exp between the whole party, so if you are fighting even matches or difficult challenges your exp will really suck.

Once you get into a party in the dunes at level 11, you will be fighting lizards in the South East portion of the dunes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    LilithiumLilithium __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Ratmike wrote: »
    Boost IS pretty damn awesome. Got that and made those bastard ninja turtle mages pay. Hard.

Since I'm level 10 now I should head to the dunes? I went to the highlands area just before them and everything was reading as a tough match or worse to me.

You can kill mobs in Kon. Highlands while seeking a party in Valkurm Dunes. Trust me, you don't really need 11 first, but Kon. Highlands is something to do while waiting.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • Options
    RatmikeRatmike Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I meant everything in the highlands was conning like that to me. But yeah I'll get 11 before trying, and since I have a mission that requires killing about 10 billion turtle guys anyway it should work out fine.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I meant everything in the highlands was conning like that to me. But yeah I'll get 11 before trying, and since I have a mission that requires killing about 10 billion turtle guys anyway it should work out fine.

Be sure to check the turtle guys, man. Some of them are way above your level, especially around the Crag of Dem.

Lilithium on
    What's that ringing? Ting-ting-a-linging in my head~? Oh, you're always there, making me whole. You're always waiting up for me. You're my first kiss, ever so pure, and ever so defiling, once lost, can never be the same. Fuck me. Violate me. Deny me.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Lilithium wrote: »

Be sure to check the turtle guys, man. Some of them are way above your level, especially around the Crag of Dem.

That's where I have to go next D: CIIIIID!

Ratmike on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So uh

You know that Vana'diel Clock that Hori made

I uh

I have one

Not all of the display works correctly (in the Vana'diel time display) so that part's kind of hard to read but the earth time display works perfectly, and it's kind of rad having an alarm clock that uses one of the town themes instead of a horrible noise to wake me up

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In regards to soloing, I usually fight EPs in the local starting area (always South Gustaberg for me, since I'm a Bastokan by nature) until thirteen or so. It's quick, risk-free and good for farming lots of crystals and mats to sell. Makes it simple to bang out those Fields of Valor dailies, too.

Two disadvantages to this method,

1) Your weapon skills will lag a bit, since you're fighting mobs much weaker than you. This means that it'll take a bit until they catch up as you party. It can be lessened by fighting some DCs in the pre-Valkurm area before you party, though.

2) You won't get as many Conquest Points, as your experience numbers will be lower. This may or may not be a worrying thing for you. Since I only use my CP for Centurion's armor, experience rings and the occasional warp scroll, it's not a big deal for me.

Since the buff to experience given from EPs and DCs, there's even more reasons to grind easy mobs for exp. I managed to solo my first couple of jobs since returning to 15 or so without having time to get bored, and even soloed most of warrior to 18. It was much harder to do this a year ago, or at least harder to do without falling asleep from all the downtime. The regen offered from tomes is pretty tremendous.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    You will get the same number of CP from levels 1-13 fighting eps as you would going from level 1-13 fighting toughs, or a mix of the two. It will just take more monsters to get there.

There may be a minor difference overall due to rounding the decimal points, but overall it is the same.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Is 1600 a large amount of people to be online in FFXI? After spending the better part of 2 hours looking for a dunes party with only one or two other people in the party search menu, I'm beginning to think either carbuncle is just low on people in general or I basically missed the party and no one does low level stuff like that any more.

Ratmike on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is 1600 a large amount of people to be online in FFXI? After spending the better part of 2 hours looking for a dunes party with only one or two other people in the party search menu, I'm beginning to think either carbuncle is just low on people in general or I basically missed the party and no one does low level stuff like that any more.

It's kinda early. I'd say the majority of players are west coat and japan. It's also finals week here.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Up to 1722 right now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    There's usually around 2k on when I play late at night, which is around twelve midnight, central time. I've seen upwards to three thousand players on during some hours. Not as crowded as Ragnarok, but not shabby, either.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Learning my level 16 Blue Magics.

1863 people online.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Number of level 16 Blue Magics learned today -

Fucking good for nothing sheep.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pulling 5k/hr on lesser birds outside Al Zahbi with emperor then anni ring is a shame, especially with a PLer. The real problem is,
    It was an LS Party! D:

I guess it let me nuke for fun and it beat doing campaign over and over. Oh well, 54SCH get, Scholar's Loafers yay.

edit: I'm also accepting the fact it was the bottom of the barrel in terms of members for that party. Saturday we pounded out Byakko, Suzaku and Genbu which is way better than what this LS could do last year before I quit. Although it took ahhhh 5 hours, we need to work on 45 mins explantations before fights.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Does anyone happen to know when the next "Return to Vanadiel" event is happening? I've got a lot of time sunk into a RDM and SMN, and I'm eager to see the new lower level QoL changes (Valor, etc.).

Neurotika on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think there was a campaign about a month ago. No idea how often they run it.

Bleh, sick as a dog today. Probably wasn't helped by the fact that I was painting outside in the freezing wind, yesterday. But UPS says that my Vana'diel Collection 2008 is in the city and ready to be driven over, so hopefully I'll be back online by today or tomorrow. 8-)

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My discs arrived! ^^ Going to install 'em and start the update process.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    The easiest Dhalmels are level 14 to 16, so I think I may wait a bit before trying for Healing Breeze.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I got Healing Breeze from the Dhalmels at the northwest end of Tahrongi at level 16. The stuff will be EM-T, but with enough Feather Storm/Head Butt spam you can kill them fairly painlessly.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just level 14 now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Healing Breeze was a bit of a bitch. I think I used my NPC to help me out there at around your level, but even then the fights were a bit close.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Why in the hell is the Colbri camp in East Ronfaure so goddamn sexy? Pulling 18k/hr with an emperor ring and pressing a boost to 30k with the Anni ring is just, it's just too much. I want to party there until Wajaom so I can get IS. But jeez, nothing but level 36-40 sync parties to the past please. Going from 35-43DNC in one day is pretty epic. I WANT MOAR!!!!!

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I was in a party there the other day that used a BRD mule that they kept at level 35 just for that purpose. He would ding a few levels in the party and then they would go and delevel him somewhere. I guess as long as they figure out their skillup situation they're fine (or rather, it's not my problem). I got from 34-43 in that party as well. Crazy times.

Hitting a bit of a wall with DRG soloing. But I think that's mostly due to my choice of targets. Zi'Tah mobs are totally killable, but the Fungars are jerks, and the goblins seem to be out to get me.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I thought Goblins were out to get everybody?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    They are indeed. Yesterday was just a very bad day.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Good god another 7 levels today, christ I need to slow down. Maybe not log in tomorrow.

Scholar going on the backburner. Dancer to 75 incoming! Only 25 levels to go.

Now if I can get my hands on a Kupofried's Ring :x

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    PlayOnline won't accept my pre-paid Mastercard. *facepalm*

I'll try contacting support and hope for an answer.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Getting blu spells if rough.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Need to get out to the dunes today

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fucking DAMNIT!

My search comment says "power levelers = goodbye" and I join a dunes party on condition that there are no power levelers.

Someone from my own linkshell comes along and starts curing.

I don't recognize them, so I drop party.

Dur dur dur *flails wildly*

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fucking DAMNIT!

My search comment says "power levelers = goodbye" and I join a dunes party on condition that there are no power levelers.

This is win. Brain damage?

Lilithium on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Lilithium wrote: »
    Fucking DAMNIT!

This is win. Brain damage?

Nothing I like better than looking like a hypocritical douche bag who is also stupid.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I was still playing I'd be pretty tempted to harass you via unsolicited power leveling. Though power leveling is one of the most boring things on the planet, I don't know how anyone does it.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dual Boxing anymore. I was in a 5 or so hour party where a girl was triple boxing. PUP and BRD in PT and powerleveling with a RDM. Granted she didn't do 100% on any of the three jobs, but once we got the ball rolling it was sweet XP.

Once everyone realized what she was doing everyone was impressed while questioning her sanity.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really need to play this more. My little Taru-Taru RDM needs more levels and I could really benefit from subbing a warrior on him...

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Not as much benefit as you would achieve with a different one though.

I'm with TheStig. I find power leveling to be one of the most boring/pointless activities in the game. If a friend's party needs more healing, I'd rather just be in the party as a healer vs. appropriate mobs than stand on the outside and cure bomb a party that's overcamping.

So for weeks my LS has been going to Onzozo to camp Ose and get everyone who needs/wants one an Assault Jerkin. Several weeks ago while I was AFK smoking, the entire group managed to die to him (DNC, BST, THF, WHM and SAM) while I was downstairs, so I got a phone call saying "Please get back up here and help prz.!" and I ran up and raised everyone, grabbed the NM (other campers in the zone) and held it off while they rested up. We managed to kill him and the SAM got the AJ.

So what happened after the THF and DNC got theirs? Suddenly no one feels like going to camp anymore. That's funny, I thought Murphie was also on the list of people who wanted an AJ for his RDM and DRG! Oh maybe I was mistaken. :(

I was not mistaken. These people are just jerks.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've been weeding out people like that in my LS. Helped someone get Bastok 4-? (I don't remember) and 6-1 because they switched alliances, told her that I've been on 6-2 for the last Eon and I'd split the cost of the Adamant Ore for the pop. She says fine.

I don't log on for a day, one day, just to see her now rank 8. Guess who doesn't get a lick of help from me anymore.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dual Boxing anymore. I was in a 5 or so hour party where a girl was triple boxing. PUP and BRD in PT and powerleveling with a RDM. Granted she didn't do 100% on any of the three jobs, but once we got the ball rolling it was sweet XP.

Once everyone realized what she was doing everyone was impressed while questioning her sanity.

She was probably using a bot on her PL character and just playing the other 2 regularly. I don't put up with people duo boxing unless they're really good at it. Not because I think it's cheating or anything just because most people play so terribly I could replace them with anyone for better xp.

On Ose: A thf and rdm should be able to duo it. You need to make friends with a well geared tanking thf and you will be in business. When me and my gf played she would tank tons of stuff as thf/nin, we even took charby down to 30% as a duo with me as rdm/brd before our whm friend showed up and finished it off. The best part of that was some jpn party of 5 had just wiped to it then tried to wipe us by standing on top of us spamming spells. We got a good laugh at them when it went down.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I knew of a way to meet a good tanking THF, I would try to be friends with them! But my playtime is limited, and I really don't know anyone on Seraph. :/ Eventually tho. I'll just put that item on my wish list back burner.

Murphy on